Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

They're doing zonal marking and they probably aren't allowed into 6 yard box by kloop . if Lucas stood where he was rather than moving to a soot milner had covered.....
    Albeit the lack of aggression is just oasivemess from the perceived weakness of the opponent and is something we really need to cut out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The will to win the ball from set pieces is not there. You need to go full retard at set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sturridge unlikely to play again this season for the club. Or ever again you imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Alonso77 wrote: »
    The problem is they did neither!!,

Don't you think the problem is possibly the fact you're marking space and not going man to man. I know that a lot of manager have looked and statistically zonal is more successful, but when it goes wrong it looks so so bad for the players involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

baby Liverpool news

U23 played Man City (3rd v 2nd with Everton top dogs) winning 3-2

Grabara; Alexander-Arnold, N Phillips, Gomez, Randall; Grujić, Ejaria, Woodburn x 2; Wilson, Brewster, Ojo

Firth, Whelan, J Williams, Virtue, Dhanda

A pretty strong side with Ejarias' first game back since injury. Woodburn back in the goals and another from the increasingly cultured foot of Mattie Virtue. He used to be thick you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jayop wrote: »
    Don't you think the problem is possibly the fact you're marking space and not going man to man. I know that a lot of manager have looked and statistically zonal is more successful, but when it goes wrong it looks so so bad for the players involved.

It seems somewhat accepted at this stage that the idea scenario is a mixture of both. Man-marking their major 2 or 3 threats, with 6 players covering the penalty box with zonal. If anyone needed man-marking, it was Benteke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sturridge unlikely to play again this season for the club. Or ever again you imagine.

I've no problem with that. Off to the hammers I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pity about Sturridge, he was brilliant when playing well, just doesn't seem to have the mental or physical toughness required.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Pity about Sturridge, he was brilliant when playing well, just doesn't seem to have the mental or physical toughness required.

Yeah, losing his pace especially has totally turned his game upside down. In a team built around him, he'll still score goals I reckon though. Reckon we'll still get 20m+ for him with that in mind. One of the bottom half teams will take a gamble.

I couldn't give a ****, just wanted to say that. Though it is frustrating that the club decided not to buy any cover in January - it's as if no one knew about his useless body.

Here is Andy Hunters article

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/24/daniel-sturridge-may-have-played-last-game-for-liverpool-injury

(no one in their right mind would buy him when you could get Defoe for far less)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It seems somewhat accepted at this stage that the idea scenario is a mixture of both. Man-marking their major 2 or 3 threats, with 6 players covering the penalty box with zonal. If anyone needed man-marking, it was Benteke.

Can't argue with that at all. Had someone (say Can) stayed with Benteke then he doesn't get a tap in, and had Firminio (I think) not kicked air and two other players allowed the ball to bounce between them in the six yard box then the system you say would have worked. It was a complete clusterfuk of a job either way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Yeah, losing his pace especially has totally turned his game upside down. In a team built around him, he'll still score goals I reckon though. Reckon we'll still get 20m+ for him with that in mind. One of the bottom half teams will take a gamble.

Worked for Benteke..... :(
    Hopefully we actually buy a striker when we sell one this time. One that can actually contribute with goals would be nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

20m for Sturridge? Really? I'd think he'll go for less than that. And the fee might even be dependent on his appearances. From where I'm sat, I'd say he's finished. He's not even playing and still can't stay fit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd happily let him go to West Ham in part exchange for Cresswell.

Mr Sturridge and £10m for Cresswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cresswell isn't 1st choice at West Ham anymore.

Not good enough for Liverpool either is Robertson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We need a defensive coach

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We need a defensive coach

A bit of common sense is needed. PLayers need to be free of instructions ar set pieces, just defend the ball and show desire to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Doubt that's going to work....

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/856621859772780544

Looks like Sturridge may have played his last game for the club. Free transfer will be the best we'll do just to get his wages off the books.

• Advertisement

Doubt that's going to work....

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/856621859772780544

Looks like Sturridge may have played his last game for the club. Free transfer will be the best we'll do just to get his wages off the books.

No need for that. An offer will come in from some panic buying, cash rich, lower half of the table club.

In a world where Jordan Ibe goes for 15m at last year's prices, I'd expect more than 10m for Sturridge tbh.

He cost us tiny money.
    All the best Danny..... hope you score many more.
    Almost won us the league with Luis. Feck the begrudgers kid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    No need for that. An offer will come in from some panic buying, cash rich, lower half of the table club.

You're assuming he will be fit enough to actually attend a fitness test, never mind actually passing it.

I can't say I am anywhere near hopeful on that.

He'll have no problem passing a fitness test.

At a club where the "strikers" aren't expected to run around like looneys (but where it's habit to leave opposition strikers unmarked in the box funnily enough, no geggenpressing in our own box :rolleyes: ) he'll be fine.

Light training and let him do whatever he thinks is best on the pitch to score and he'll be a success I feel.

Time will tell of course.

Sturridge has been a crock for the better part of three seasons, nothing to do with Klopps high intensity style

Ben Woodburn last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He'll go to a club like West Ham, have a great start when he knocks in ten goals before Christmas, get called back into the England squad and then miss the rest of the season through injury.

Damn shame he's so injury prone because a regularly fit Sturridge is 20 goals a season in a good side.

Sturridge has been a crock for the better part of three seasons.........

86 club and country appearances & 32 goals in this crock spell.

I feel Klopps mandate that you need to complete x amount of full training sessions before featuring in the team most definitely has been a factor in Sturridge not featuring this season as much as we all would have liked :)

Anyway, I hope club and player come to a mutually satisfactory arrangement regarding his future.

As mentioned he played a significant role in almost shooting us to a league title, I'll remember him fondly for that. His goals carried the team when Luis was banned too more often than not.

Inflation and TV money considered he only cost us what Klavan did in terms of transfer fee.

Damn shame he's so injury prone because a regularly fit Sturridge is 20 goals a season in a good side.

Indeed, a shame for player and club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Augeo wrote: »
    86 club and country appearances & 32 goals in this crock spell

Over how many years? He's played very little in the last two years which is a shame because he's a very good player.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Over how many years? He's played very little in the last two years which is a shame because he's a very good player.

The period Harry mentioned....
    Sturridge has been a crock for the better part of three seasons............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Augeo wrote: »
    The period Harry mentioned....

Missed Harry's post.

86 games for club and country is not a whole lot over three years though.

I do like Sturridge and it's a shame to see how much trouble he's had with injuries.

Maybe a new club will see him get fit and get back to playing near his best. There's no question he's a very good goalscorer.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Missed Harry's post.

86 games for club and country is not a whole lot over three years though.............

True, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

New First Choice & Ming or Karius

Clyne & TAA
    Matip Gomez and 2 New CBs (would keep Sakho, but not going to happen)
    2 New LBs or 1 with Milner OR Moreno as cover

Can/Gini/Hendo/Grujic/Milner/New DM

Mane/Coutinho/Lallana/Firmino/New

Origi Ings & A new No 9

My take on what we need at a minimum for next season

I cant see Lucas or Sturridge staying
    Lovren isnt good enough. At a push Id hang on to Klavan, as hes not likely to be on big wages. Id love to keep Sakho.
    Would also like to see an Alonso type MF player also, but a DM would be more of a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

New First Choice & Ming or Karius

Clyne & TAA
    Matip Gomez and 2 New CBs (would keep Sakho, but not going to happen)
    2 New LBs or 1 with Milner OR Moreno as cover

Can/Gini/Hendo/Grujic/Milner/New DM

Mane/Coutinho/Lallana/Firmino/New

Origi Ings & A new No 9

My take on what we need at a minimum for next season

I cant see Lucas or Sturridge staying
    Lovren isnt good enough. At a push Id hang on to Klavan, as hes not likely to be on big wages. Id love to keep Sakho.
    Would also like to see an Alonso type MF player also, but a DM would be more of a priority.

Sakho can jog on

benteke.jpg

I think Klopp has categorically dismissed the idea of a new keeper.

Reckon we will get

LB
    CB
    DM
    AM
    W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Am I the only one who would keep Sturridge? Unless his wages were directly prohibitive to us signing another striker (something that really shouldn't be an issue these days) I'd much rather see him on the bench than a youth team player who just celebrated his 17th birthday.

Certainly, we won't sign a better player without the Champions League.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who would keep Sturridge? Unless his wages were directly prohibitive to us signing another striker (something that really shouldn't be an issue these days) I'd much rather see him on the bench than a youth team player who just celebrated his 17th birthday.

we have Origi and Ings though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah, you really have to wonder what sakho had going through his head doing that.

klose wrote: »
    Yeah, you really have to wonder what sakho had going through his head doing that.

coz he's obviously a numpty! What was he even doing on the bench, I've honestly never seen that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

So? Ignoring the fact that Ings is a massive unknown quantity, I'd much prefer a bench with Origi Ings and Sturridge to one with Origi Ings and Brewster.

So? Ignoring the fact that Ings is a massive unknown quantity, I'd much prefer a bench with Origi Ings and Sturridge to one with Origi Ings and Brewster.

Sure but isn't Sturridge one of the highest paid in the squad?

edit: seemingly joint second highest paid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Certainly, we won't sign a better player without the Champions League.

I'd love to keep him but it seems that when we need him, such as now, he is injured. He can't be relied upon.
    Imagine if we were bringing on a fit Sturridge instead of Grugic or TAA at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Ings is gone for us imo, too many serious injuries including his time at Burnley, a shame as he was ideal for Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think it's pathetic to see people hold that against Sakho.

He's not done a whole lot wrong here after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

noodler wrote: »

Exactly.

People should be focused on why Liverpool cannot seem to implement a strategy to deal with clubs in the bottom half of the table.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ings is gone for us imo, too many serious injuries including his time at Burnley, a shame as he was ideal for Klopp

I'd like Ings to get back to fitness and get on the bench for us. His bit of aggression and direct running is what can help break down those 10 man defences instead of trying to tippy tap through them.

I still think he should be starting for us now that he has proved he is fit and can be a defensive leader. A bit of his no nonsence aggression wouldn't go astray wither for us at the back instead of Lovren thinking he is Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Some people seem to be more outraged by that stupid handshake than Lovren handing the game to Palace. Very strange priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

One has a worse injury record than even Sturridge & the other drifts in a out of form so much on his bad days it like we have N'gog again.

Some people seem to be more outraged by that stupid handshake than Lovren handing the game to Palace. Very strange priorities.

or, i can be upset about both... They are totally unrelated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

10 years a Red.

Boss.

We are Liverpool 👊 #myfamily #myfriends #wearereds

18096277_417533451958977_6439045541740412928_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTUwMDAzNDQ4MzU4NjU3MjA2MQ%3D%3D.2

10 years, does that mean he gets a testimonial?

dogbert27 wrote: »
    10 years, does that mean he gets a testimonial?
    He got a party in his honour instead of a testimonial aparently. I think that is what the picture is from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

or, i can be upset about both... They are totally unrelated.

Of course you can. I wasn't talking about you specifically or I wasn't talking about this thread specifically. I meant I seem to have seen more outrage about the handshake in general...twitter,other forums etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement