Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I just want Sturridge out because it means we will have to buy another top attacker, we can't just keep him around hoping he gets fit and using him as the reason why we haven't bought anyone.

That's been my biggest problem with Sturridge, his presence and illusion of availability has created a neglect for buying a top class striker. When Suarez left we got Lambert and Balotelli, not great but we figured Sturridge would be able to somewhat fill Suarez' boots, instead he spent most of the time injured and we were stuck with Lambert and Balotelli. We all knew he was done last summer but he was given another chance, possibly based off his Europa League run at the end of last season, this has been easily his worst year at the club and there's really no coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Also...

https://twitter.com/NBFootball/status/856825104164159489

How do they always pick the worst times for these announcements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Sure but isn't Sturridge one of the highest paid in the squad?

edit: seemingly joint second highest paid.

I've already said I don't care what he's earning. His wages shouldn't be prohibitive in signing another striker, even if he's a high earner. We can afford it. FSG might think differently on principal, of course.

The point is, he's a better option as a 3rd/luxury/10-game a season striker than anyone we'd be likely to buy and I would be considerably happier seeing him on the bench than a youth team player given a promotion to the senior squad out of necessity.

klose wrote: »
    Yeah, you really have to wonder what sakho had going through his head doing that.
    coz he's obviously a numpty! What was he even doing on the bench, I've honestly never seen that before.

fnck you Kloppo would be my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That little handshake thing with Benteke the other day said it all to me about Sakho...

Why he was on the bench also was very strange considering he wasn't eligible to play

Of course I was annoyed with our comical defending, and kind of expected that, but Sakho and Tekkers helped add to our shît day...

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I think it's pathetic to see people hold that against Sakho.

He's not done a whole lot wrong here after all.

It's safe to say Sakho has done a lot more wrong that we've been led to believe. He's not out on loan because he made a club-sanctioned tour video, or for getting wrongfully banned by UEFA. He's certainly not on loan because there are 4 better defenders at the club.

We have to conclude that he overstepped his mark a few too many times; a line was clearly crossed somewhere and the manager decided he shouldn't be a part of the team. The fact that he hasn't disclosed the reasons himself (and that he still wants a Liverpool return) suggests that whatever it was, the fault lies with him. He has a history of strange behaviour, too, don't forget.

http://www.espnfc.us/club/paris-saint-germain/160/blog/post/1852629/sakho-exit-from-psg-a-complicated-one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I mean, we always knew Sakho was a dope. The handshake I don't really think is relevant as to whether or not he should play for us again.

If Klopp feels like he can't rely on him, and thinks he can get in a better defender - then I can't really argue with that. If, however, he doesn't sign a center back and we're stuck with the injury and daft prone Lovren for another season, then you have to question that.

Considering the club stood by Luis after he bit a chap on the pitch it's hard to fathom what Sakho did to justify being more or less turfed out of the club.

It's grim enough seeing Benteke head home unmarked in the box in a game where 3 points would have seen really close to a Top4 finish without seeing an LFC CB celebrating with Benteke afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I've already said I don't care what he's earning. His wages shouldn't be prohibitive in signing another striker, even if he's a high earner. We can afford it. FSG might think differently on principal, of course.

The point is, he's a better option as a 3rd/luxury/10-game a season striker than anyone we'd be likely to buy and I would be considerably happier seeing him on the bench than a youth team player given a promotion to the senior squad out of necessity.
    I'd agree with you there if Sturridge was ever fit.

But he isn't.

He can't seem to withstand training these days, even training at a lower level to get back from injury, than is needed to get somewhere near being fit enough to get some game time to begin getting match fit.

As a fit striker, he was as good as I've seen at the club for a long time but he can't even get fit enough to get on the bench.

I'd much prefer a young striker there that can come on and get experience to build for the future than Sturridge to come on for a few minutes before missing games again because of an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sappy404 wrote: »
    It's safe to say Sakho has done a lot more wrong that we've been led to believe. He's not out on loan because he made a club-sanctioned tour video, or for getting wrongfully banned by UEFA. He's certainly not on loan because there are 4 better defenders at the club.

We have to conclude that he overstepped his mark a few too many times; a line was clearly crossed somewhere and the manager decided he shouldn't be a part of the team. The fact that he hasn't disclosed the reasons himself (and that he still wants a Liverpool return) suggests that whatever it was, the fault lies with him. He has a history of strange behaviour, too, don't forget.

http://www.espnfc.us/club/paris-saint-germain/160/blog/post/1852629/sakho-exit-from-psg-a-complicated-one

Yeah this line has been brought out non stop for a year.

The longer the year goes on the less it seems its about his training, performances or, most recently, he innocence in the Drugs ban.

So I am not going to assume there is some skeleton in the closet just "because".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It speaks volumes to the type of guy he is though. It never ends with the guy, you can never change the person he is. Nothing wrong with shaking his hand, but for 99% of other professionals it would not happen that they would be on bench, that they would congratulate in public the player that has cost his club, our club 3pts.
    He could have congratulated him in dressing room if needed, or not at all, just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Everything he does it borderline , it's always a case of '' what? '' . He is like a spoilt kid.
    He is always threading the line of what is right and wrong, always on that line. He never leaves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We will probably only get 10m for Sturridge if he leaves.
    Not many clubs will be willing to pay his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mr Sturridge might be better to head to Scotland to play for his former manager and he would get CL football for that matter.

I'm sure if he played up there is goal to minute ratio would be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

noodler wrote:

noodler wrote:

Him being on the bench and then congratulating Benteke the way he did is an obvious wind up to Klopp. It was not just him congratulating his teamate.
    I for one would not like to see him play for us again, he obviously has attitude problems and I would prefer us to shop else where to solve our defensive problems.

Mr Sturridge might be better to head to Scotland to play for his former manager and he would get CL football for that matter.

I'm sure if he played up there is goal to minute ratio would be huge.

Doubt Celtic could afford him thh.

Him being on the bench and then congratulating Benteke the way he did is an obvious wind up to Klopp. It was not just him congratulating his teamate.
    I for one would not like to see him play for us again, he obviously has attitude problems and I would prefer us to shop else where to solve our defensive problems.

I think it's clear to Sakho that Klopp won't have him back so he's gone the fnck you route :)

I'd do the same tbh.

Augeo wrote:
    I think it's clear to Sakho that Klopp won't have him back so he's gone the fnck you route

Yea you are probably right but at the same time he is still a liverpool player right now and he is not only saying fnck you to Klopp but also to all Liverpool fans as well IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Sakho is an idiot. His rock paper scissors on Sunday only cements it. We've had too many idiots at our club over the years to be putting up with his sh*te, both behind closed doors and in front of 40,000 fans. He can play tippy-tappy handies for hopefully 20-30m somewhere else next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

It speaks volumes to the type of guy he is though. It never ends with the guy, you can never change the person he is. Nothing wrong with shaking his hand, but for 99% of other professionals it would not happen that they would be on bench, that they would congratulate in public the player that has cost his club, our club 3pts.
    He could have congratulated him in dressing room if needed, or not at all, just get on with it.
    Augeo wrote: »
    I think it's clear to Sakho that Klopp won't have him back so he's gone the fnck you route :)

I'd do the same tbh.

I just highlighted a few opinions out of many that sum it up for me.

Sakho has no tact or humility.
    Sunday was an opportunity for him to do some low-key networking around the ciub whilst probably getting a few pats on the back. Wearing Palace gear for the day (I'm assuming that was against his agent's advice) shut the door on any chance of reconcillation and that's what has me livid.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with you there if Sturridge was ever fit.

But he isn't.

He can't seem to withstand training these days, even training at a lower level to get back from injury, than is needed to get somewhere near being fit enough to get some game time to begin getting match fit.

As a fit striker, he was as good as I've seen at the club for a long time but he can't even get fit enough to get on the bench.

I'd much prefer a young striker there that can come on and get experience to build for the future than Sturridge to come on for a few minutes before missing games again because of an injury.

He isn't never fit though. A 3rd choice striker wouldn't be expected to play more than 10 games in a season and I think Sturridge would do better in those games for us than a promoted 17 year-old. So long as there's a striker brought in to knock him and Origi down the pecking order, we'd be better off keeping him.

PS I take your point about young players getting experience but there should be plenty of that going around with the team back in Europe.

ElTel wrote: »
    Sunday was an opportunity for him to do some low-key networking around the ciub whilst probably getting a few pats on the back. Wearing Palace gear for the day (I'm assuming that was against his agent's advice) shut the door on any chance of reconcillation and that's what has me livid.

I'd say he is under no illusion the door was firmly bolted shut before Sunday.
    He should have been in the stand though, not mucking about on the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Sakho/Benteke thing again exhibited Sakho's lack of judgement. He's still under contract to Liverpool. He's talked about wanting to play for the club again yet he's out there on the sideline playing pattycake with the scorer of a vital goal against us. In full view of everyone in the ground.

I don't think he's a bad fella. I'd take him ahead of Lovren every day of the week. He just seems to lack cop on and common sense. You can see how he might irritate people having to deal with it every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Lovren is so bad I'd have Sakho back in the team in a heartbeat even though he is a complete fking idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Also...

https://twitter.com/NBFootball/status/856825104164159489

How do they always pick the worst times for these announcements?

It will be the new kit for next season

liverpool-17-18-kit-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It will be the new kit for next season

Knowing how the PR machine works these days, it's probably an announcement of when the new kit will be unveiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

For me the club have shafted him......and to rub salt in the wounds, are looking at compensation when he was suspended!! I dont think he has played for us since. If it was me Id be well p!ssed off

Crystal Palace's bench had a combined 611 PL starts between them.

Ours? 73. 50+ of them going to Moreno alone.

Its hard to excuse that, regardless of injuries. Not saying its Klopp's fault either, but it highlights that the club has been behind in the player department for a while now.

Also, probably would make sense to update that stat to a "top flight starts", and Moreno would tack on a few more there, but its still terrible for a team who wants to challenge for titles nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Knex. wrote: »
    Crystal Palace's bench had a combined 611 PL starts between them.

Ours? 73. 50+ of them going to Moreno alone.

Its hard to excuse that, regardless of injuries. Not saying its Klopp's fault either, but it highlights that the club has been behind in the player department for a while now.

Also, probably would make sense to update that stat to a "top flight starts", and Moreno would tack on a few more there, but its still terrible for a team who wants to challenge for titles nonetheless.

Well, Klopp has certainly contributed to it no matter what way you look at it. He has let players go and not replaced them and knew certain players were not going to play but chose not to add to the squad.

For example in the summer he knew Henderson has an injury that has to be managed, he knew Sturridge will have injuries, he knew Mané was gone for a few weeks in Jan and before the Jan window he knew Sakho was gone, and that Ings season was over.

The first team players he brought in have been good signings but he hasn't made enough of them. Squad management is down to him, and while I can accept that his targets weren't available etc etc we cant accept this excuse next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Any chance Rafa would take a chance on Sturridge? He'd be revered up there as they love their no. 9s - they prefer them on the pitch of course but it'd be sweet to fleece Mike Ashley for a few million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

His targets were available, just not at our valuations. And sometimes you have to compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

For me the club have shafted him......and to rub salt in the wounds, are looking at compensation when he was suspended!! I dont think he has played for us since. If it was me Id be well p!ssed off

No one knows the truth thou outside the club. So how can the club have shafted him? End of the day Klopp is creating an atmosphere in the club. Maybe sakho is poison in the dressing room. PSG got rid fairly quick too. It's all ifs and buts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Don't understand getting so outraged about Sakho's handshake. It probably wasn't the wisest thing to do but I wouldn't hold it against him.

He always put his body on the line for us & he is a far superior defender to Lovren.
    Something pretty bad must have happened behind the scenes with Sakho because Klopp definitely rated him during his most of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It was clearly designed as a wind up, they knew what they would do if Palace scored. No other reason for Sakho being where he was.

Sakho is a professional with Palace at the moment.

He was teammates with Benteke for a year before that.

"wind up Klopp" some say.

Pretty incredible to be honest.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see him play for us again.

I wouldn't hold a player at another club celebrate a goal with a teammate.

More of an F U Kloppo IMO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Shame really, play well on the field, get the fans questioning Klopps decision, speak highly about wanting to play for Liverpool again and then sit on the bench when you're not in the squad (does that ever happen?) and celebrate a goal at Anfield against Liverpool. I dont particularly care about stuff like this but I can understand why some people will turn on that kind of behaviour. He'll never play for Liverpool again anyway, that just confirms it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Klopp has an air of Wenger or Ferguson about him

brevity wrote: »

Okay now I'm confused!

• Advertisement

Marca are reporting the club have been in discussions with Isco's father who is also his agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NukaCola wrote: »
    Shame really, play well on the field, get the fans questioning Klopps decision, speak highly about wanting to play for Liverpool again and then sit on the bench when you're not in the squad (does that ever happen?) and celebrate a goal at Anfield against Liverpool. I dont particularly care about stuff like this but I can understand why some people will turn on that kind of behaviour. He'll never play for Liverpool again anyway, that just confirms it tbh.

Indeed. Let's not be naive. He's a professional footballer. He knows that every public moment and action gets scrutinized. He knew exactly what message that was sending when he did it. A shame, but I very much doubt he'll play for us again now.

brevity wrote: »

Authoritive, takes limited messing and ruthless if you overstep the well defined line.

Not a bad way to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Marca are reporting the club have been in discussions with Isco's father who is also his agent.....

and also likely using us to find him a better deal

Marca are reporting the club have been in discussions with Isco's father who is also his agent.

Let the monitoring begin! :) 12 months left on deal, far too obvious

noodler wrote:

noodler wrote:

noodler wrote:

noodler wrote:

Why would it be pretty incredible? He could easily have an axe to grind with Klopp over being dropped and this could have easily been a way for him to wind him up.
    Can you tell us why he would even be on the bench when he was ineligible to play?
    It seems a lot more plausible that he was trying to wind up Klopp rather than him just simply congratulating Benteke.

Let the monitoring begin! :) 12 months left on deal, far too obvious

We will have to add "Monitoring" to the thread title :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    His targets were available, just not at our valuations. And sometimes you have to compromise.

But we didn't compromise, Klopp/FSG just sat on their hands, did nothing and bought no one. Even thou they were well aware of what Nukacola has just outlined. We were well in the hunt for the title and they did fúck all. Now we are struggling to get top four, banking on other teams to mess up.

Criminal carry on from one or both parties.

Good luck to both Sturridge and Sakho when they eventually leave at the end of the season. Both lacking either the mental fortitude or mental capability to play for Liverpool. Neither could be relied upon by us for one reason or another the last couple of seasons.

Isco & Asensio both reported within a week. Watch now it'll all stem from a Liverpool representative being at one Real game when on his holidays, or something.

Knex. wrote: »
    Isco & Asensio both reported within a week. Watch now it'll all stem from a Liverpool representative being at one Real game when on his holidays, or something.

Isn't Woodgate a former Real player our scout over there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement