Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Palace are no mugs having beat Chelsea and Arsenal and drew with an in form Leicester in there previous 5 games before us

I didnt mention Palace specifically, I'm talking more generally.

That being said, we should have beaten Palace. They were led by a castoff striker of ours with another castoff in Kelly in CB and they were even missing the inspirational Sakho. But... No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I think we have blown 4th already if i'm honest. I think we had to beat Palace.

This has to be a wind up right?? If not it's such extremist nonsense!, which is the worst kind of nonsense imo. Hands up who honestly thought we would get 6 points from our two away games against Stoke and West Brom...nobody predicted that. With that in mind we are still in as good a spot right now as most would have thought we would be after Stoke away, West Brom away and Palace at home. Therefore if you thought we had any chance of top 4 before those fixtures it would stand to reason that we have as good a chance now. I don't see what's changed since then, Utd were always in with a good shout of getting 4 points from their home game against Chelsea and Man City away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think the jersey crest is why nicer than the current club one which is too busy, tacky and dated whilst the Liverbird is timeless.

I like the crest with the inclusion of the Hillsborough memorial. It's a major part of the clubs history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'm not sure that really follows... those tougher games are the types of ones we won too, like.

Really, it's a lot simpler - if Utd get top four and we don't, they deserve it more than us.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true when you takes many factors into account over the course of a long season. For example, is chelsea away a tougher fixture now or during the first month of the season? Was our away fixture against Leicester on Monday 27th of Feb under brand new manager Craig Shakespeare a tougher fixture than the one Utd faced away to Leicester a few weeks previously under their lame duck manager at the time Claudio Ranieri? Of course it was, so it stands to reason that some teams can actually and do face a softer 38 games in a season than another team in the same league. All this idealistic nonsense that so called experts and many others spout constantly about things like ref decisions and fixture toughness evening itself out over the course of a season is just that, idealist nonsense. That is simply not how variance works. You can in theory have more than your fair share of bad luck for decades, never mind the course of 1 season. In fact, when it comes to luck the one things you can be most sure about is that it will not have evened itself out completely over the course of 1 season!

mormank wrote: »
    This has to be a wind up right?? If not it's such extremist nonsense!, which is the worst kind of nonsense imo. Hands up who honestly thought we would get 6 points from our two away games against Stoke and West Brom...nobody predicted that. With that in mind we are still in as good a spot right now as most would have thought we would be after Stoke away, West Brom away and Palace at home. Therefore if you thought we had any chance of top 4 before those fixtures it would stand to reason that we have as good a chance now. I don't see what's changed since then, Utd were always in with a good shout of getting 4 points from their home game against Chelsea and Man City away.

Well our price has quadrupled in betting land so something clearly changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I read this and that about United's games but like a previous poster said, I am more worried about our own games. I can see us falling apart and getting like 6 or 7 points. If we don't get too 4 after the position we were once in then it's an utter failure from klopp.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    ........ I can see us falling apart and getting like 6 or 7 points.............

I'm always fearful of a relapse of Jan/Feb form as Mane is out again. However, before Palace and since that Jan/Feb form we were on a very good run.......... 17 points from 7 PL games, really fantastic stuff to be fair.

Utd are 22 points from their last 10 games in a period where they've played Chelsea, Man City and Everton so the worrying thing is they've been as good as us over the last 2 months, if not better.

Now that the Manchester Derby is over we can miss out on top 4 without falling apart unfortunately.

My fear is that in the last 4/5 games when you actually need the points and know you need them can we step up? You need a bit of pragmatism and doggedness that I think we clearly lack ....... on the sideline and on the pitch respectively.

Now, we might well go on a goal fest in our four games and win them all comfortably but without Mane you'd think that's perhaps unlikely, all considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I read this and that about United's games but like a previous poster said, I am more worried about our own games. I can see us falling apart and getting like 6 or 7 points. If we don't get too 4 after the position we were once in then it's an utter failure from klopp.

Let us not forget that the same Klopp had us challenging for the league up until Christmas, playing the best football in the league, and having made a profit in transfers since he came to the club a year previous.

Injuries to key players have broken our season apart, no manager would have extended the squad with how little football we were due to play this year, instead he focused on quality of the first team and that has been a success, perhaps not buying anyone in January was a big risk but Klopp is'nt going to go out and spend money on players for the sake of it, anyone he buys he buys for the long term for the most part.
    I would'nt change Klopp for any manager in world football at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

perhaps not buying anyone in January was a big risk but Klopp is'nt going to go out and spend money on players for the sake of it, anyone he buys he buys for the long term for the most part.

We aren't always going to get our top targets. If the solution is buy no one instead then its not a very good one. I'm all for letting Klopp build his own squad but I'm not going to listen to that excuse next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/857881770989060096

Not the best of timing announcing this deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Let us not forget that the same Klopp had us challenging for the league up until Christmas, playing the best football in the league, and having made a profit in transfers since he came to the club a year previous.

Injuries to key players have broken our season apart, no manager would have extended the squad with how little football we were due to play this year, instead he focused on quality of the first team and that has been a success, perhaps not buying anyone in January was a big risk but Klopp is'nt going to go out and spend money on players for the sake of it, anyone he buys he buys for the long term for the most part.
    I would'nt change Klopp for any manager in world football at the moment.

My thoughts exactly there is no other manager i would want at this moment. Patience is hard to come by in modern day football but i see a clear direction with Klopp. Important summer for the club with or without champions league football. He must be backed well by the club and acquire top targets to strengthen the team

If you can buy the likes of Klavan in the summer for small money I'm sure you can bring yourself to buy some squad filler in January or take a punt on a £15m winger that may or may not work out.

Especially when you are in profit from summer transfer window.

Doing so can be done without effecting your longterm plan etc etc.

Lovren as a backup is fine.....as well as Klavan.....

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/LFC/status/857881770989060096

Not the best of timing announcing this deal.

No problem in keeping Lovren as part of the squad next year. Besides his brain farts against Palace last Sunday he has been solid all season. Defo keep him as a back up center half

Augeo wrote: »
    If you can buy the likes of Klavan in the summer for small money I'm sure you can bring yourself to buy some squad filler in January or take a punt on a £15m winger that may or may not work out.

Especially when you are in profit from summer transfer window.

Doing so can be done without effecting your longterm plan etc etc.

Conversely, if you are willing (apparently) to spend 35M/50M on a midfielder and CB in the summer, surely similarly can be paid in January to secure your "top target" early.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

NukaCola wrote: »
    Lovren as a backup is fine.....
    ricero wrote: »
    No problem in keeping Lovren as part of the squad next year. Defo keep him as a back up center half

What worries me is I get the feeling Klopp doesn't see him as just backup

Sakho injury not as bad as first feared. Only expected to miss a month of football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Conversely, if you are willing (apparently) to spend 35M/50M on a midfielder and CB in the summer, surely similarly can be paid in January to secure your "top target" early.......
    Only if the club is willing to sell and has another available to replace the player they're selling.

It's easier in the summer than the winter to do that because of the longer window.

x43r0 wrote: »

Well if the rumors are true and we are in for Van Dijk it either suggest that Lovren will be dropped or klopp is going to revert to 3 at the back

Only if the club is willing to sell and has another available to replace the player they're selling.

It's easier in the summer than the winter to do that because of the longer window.

Of course, the lack of any news of bids could mean we didn't even try though.......

• Advertisement

.......... or klopp is going to revert to 3 at the back

Not a bad plan.
    Puts Clyne on the bench though presumably as he doesn't offer enough going forward to play in a system with 3 CBs

x43r0 wrote: »

If he's not replaced in the summer as a starter I'd also start to worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The new jersey really is lovely all that is missing is the Crown Paints sponsor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No problem in keeping Lovren as part of the squad next year. Besides his brain farts against Palace last Sunday he has been solid all season. Defo keep him as a back up center half

I hope this deal is just to secure a better fee for him in the summer.
    Don't get how you can find him solid this season.

I'm convinced he's a major part of our defensive problems that spreads fear and hesitation to the rest of the defenders and keeper.
    He's responsible for more goals this season that last Sunday

murpho999 wrote: »
    I hope this deal is just to secure a better fee for him in the summer. .............

I'd say not.
    The Echo allude to it being a £100k/week deal and contracted until 2021 with the club having another year as an option.

Can't see him being overly attractive for some other club to buy him this summer really.

Just on the 3 at the back theory............ if Matip was the most forward of the 3, he'd be CB/DM ish.

With Lovren and a better CB alongside him that might be a decent formation that facilitates our attacking play :)

100K a week but offer Alli 4K a week........the way we do transfers would make you crazy.

More crazy decision making from FSG.
    But it has become the norm. Good business men but don't have a clue how to run a football club properly. We are overpaying on average players.

Our wages have risen more in the past few years than any other club despite apart from last summer having consistently very poor transfer windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Man City and United won't win all their remaining games. So if we win our last 4 we finish top 4. Pretty self explanatory really .

And I've already said given our run in we should be winning our last 4 .

Not self explanatory in your original post, hence my reply. There is nothing guaranteed to say we will win our last 4 and with Utd looking like a home win vs Swansea on Sunday it puts huge pressure on us to win Monday night.

You seem very sure that both city & utd wont win their games.

Its out of our hands now and that's the part I dread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Should I mention that before the Palace game Liverpool had won 5 and drawn 2? The form was actually pretty good.

In other news - Rhian Brewster has been called up to the England U17s for the Euros this summer.

Big Lloyd Jones has been sent back in disgrace!

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/15252091.Town_defender_Jones_arrested_hours_after_Port_Vale_defeat/

Two other ex Liverpool youth players also in hot water there.

• Advertisement

That new jersey looks class. I wonder what number Reus will pick for the back of his one for next season.

Reus is just a more talented Daniel Sturridge.

Reus is just a more talented Daniel Sturridge.

Shots fired!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Giving Lovren 100k a week is .......

I actually can't put into words how annoyed I am .

4 years , 100k a week. All the while seemingly stalling on Can's contract. People saying sure Lovren will only be back up. 100k is a lot to be paying a back up player, no ? I'd rather have shot him into the sun than offered him a contract

Should I mention that before the Palace game Liverpool had won 5 and drawn 2? The form was actually pretty good.

Already mentioned this morning, 17 pts in that 7 games between Jan/Feb slump & the palace game :)

Giving Lovren 100k a week is .......

I actually can't put into words how annoyed I am .

4 years , 100k a week. All the while seemingly stalling on Can's contract. People saying sure Lovren will only be back up. 100k is a lot to be paying a back up player, no ? I'd rather have shot him into the sun than offered him a contract

Yup, weird alright.
    Can be looking for at least that now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lovren gets a 100k a week contract yet we are playing hardball over cans contract, it just begs belief tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

That new jersey looks class. I wonder what number Reus will pick for the back of his one for next season.

3, if we're being traditional.

To be fair, Can seems to be more concerned about how he is utilised rather than money being the issue. - he wants to be a deep midfielder not a box to box type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'm not condoning giving Lovren a contract as such, but he's hardly the only issue with our defence.

Our issues have gone on for the best part of a decade. First it was Skrtel, then Rodgers was a problem. Sakho came in for heavy criticism (we conceded 148 goals in his three seasons) and since leaving he's the ****ing messiah. Now Lovren is the issue...

Lovren makes mistakes, yep, won't argue against that. I do think he's slightly better than some on here but, look, opinions, arseholes, etc.

But replacing him and making no other changes would accomplish the square root of **** all as far as I can see.

The system is the issue - fix the system, fix the defence.

Our team is unbalanced. Our attack is overloaded to compensate for its shortcomings. The result is extra players forward, scoring more goals.

The issue of that is that our defence is isolated - 2 players left doing the job that some teams assign to 5 or 6. How the **** are they supposed to look anything other than awful in that situation?

Can's deal is probably not about money.
    He probably has some very good offers as Juventus are said to be interested.

Van Dijk looks a very good defender. But watching him closely before he got injured he had a terrible habit of dropping too deep similar to Skrtel. Playing in a higher line at Liverpool he would be much more exposed but he has got pace. 50m is huge money for him but he was the standout CB in the PL before injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

klose wrote: »
    Lovren gets a 100k a week contract yet we are playing hardball over cans contract, it just begs belief tbh.

It's hard to rationalise. 100k p/w, in the aftermath of a regularly scheduled, textbook Nervol cot-be****ting. Even preceded by his usual gobbing in the press, like clockwork he soils himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

corwill wrote: »
    It's hard to rationalise. 100k p/w, in the aftermath of a regularly scheduled, textbook Nervol cot-be****ting. Even preceded by his usual gobbing in the press, like clockwork he soils himself.

My thoughts when lovren has a decent game is "well lovren didn't **** anything up so that's good" not exactly a good thing. He has had some very good games for sure but he's never had a sustained patch of form.
    I mean why tie him to a new deal? I highly doubt anyone was looking to buy him off us for the money he was already on. It just seems we reward players with contracts for some unknown reason rather than tie down players to keep their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Wow. The hate for Lovren is strong on this thread. Up until last week with Lovren and Matip together at the back we hadn't lost a game. He made one mistake the last day and got punished for it. He's actually been solid enough this season but people cant or wont admit it.

And Can hardballing on a new contract??....Pick up people at corners, less ball watching, less staring at the ground when your man scores and then you can start having demands...do it out on the pitch first ffs !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The way I look at wages these days is Mr Sturridge gets £150k a week to be injured, Clyne gets £80k a week to run up and down the pitch without doing much else, Moreno gets £65k a week to be a mascot for the the Brazilians.

Wages really don't mean much anymore in the Premier TV money league *best league in the world

*Sky (tm)

Like transfer fees wages are a joke the players should be judged on what they do on the pitch and most our defenders and keepers don't do it on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Only six PL centre-backs are now earning more than Calamity Dej (Kompany, Otamendi, Stones, Terry, Luiz and Vertonghen).

Mourinhio crying we have played more games than Utd. Boo hoo. Dry your salty tears. Almost as bitter as Everton fans.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Mourinhio crying we have played more games than Utd. Boo hoo. Dry your salty tears. Almost as bitter as Everton fans.

Thats a bit harsh! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

The system is the issue - fix the system, fix the defence.

I don't think it's the system either.

Under Rafa (at the end) and Roy we also had defensive issues. Kenny had defensive problems and then Rodger's and now klopp.

I think the issue the same as our keeping issue is a coaching one. We need to change our coaching staff. We need a top class goalkeeping coach and a top class defensive coach.

I'd be bringing in hypos, Haman and carra to help our defence on the coaching side. Surely their experiences would help the defence in all situations Such as Ariel balls, man marking and playing from the back (Hamann).

A top class keeping coach like Clemence would be a great addition also.

Obviously I don't give a sh1t if these are the people we brought in. My point is we need to invest in our coaching team as I feel that is why we have these issues.

I mean we keep turning great players bad....... that has to be a coaching issue

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RoboKlopp wrote: »

If it is a fact that United have played 18 games more, then it is fact and not crying.
    It could be Jose having a cut at Liverpool and Chelsea.
    Liverpool have 4 games to play this season.
    United have a minimum 7 and if things go their way it will be twice the number of games Liverpool have.
    I am sure Liverpool fans would have liked more games this season.
    United fans have near a regular 2 games a week to watch.
    It does take a toll on the team, and that is not an excuse, it is simply fact.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement