Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

RobertKK wrote:
    If it is a fact that United have played 18 games more, then it is fact and not crying. It could be Jose having a cut at Liverpool and Chelsea. Liverpool have 4 games to play this season. United have a minimum 7 and if things go their way it will be twice the number of games Liverpool have. I am sure Liverpool fans would have liked more games this season. United fans have near a regular 2 games a week to watch. It does take a toll on the team, and that is not an excuse, it is simply fact.

Liverpool had all those games to deal with last year and I'm sure Jose would have laughed at klopp giving out about it.

I agree on one thing though. As a football fan I wanna watch Liverpool play twice a week.

Unlike united though Liverpool just don't have enough players yet. United have enough but not enough that Jose likes/trusts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm not condoning giving Lovren a contract as such, but he's hardly the only issue with our defence.

Our issues have gone on for the best part of a decade. First it was Skrtel, then Rodgers was a problem. Sakho came in for heavy criticism (we conceded 148 goals in his three seasons) and since leaving he's the ****ing messiah. Now Lovren is the issue...

Lovren makes mistakes, yep, won't argue against that. I do think he's slightly better than some on here but, look, opinions, arseholes, etc.

But replacing him and making no other changes would accomplish the square root of **** all as far as I can see.

The system is the issue - fix the system, fix the defence.

Our team is unbalanced. Our attack is overloaded to compensate for its shortcomings. The result is extra players forward, scoring more goals.

The issue of that is that our defence is isolated - 2 players left doing the job that some teams assign to 5 or 6. How the **** are they supposed to look anything other than awful in that situation?

I'm fairly certain that if, Rafa for example, was at the club next season, we wouldn't be conceding 50+ goals in the league.

Definitely think that the way we set up for the best part of 5 years now is really conducive to keeping it solid. The amount of clear cut chances we give away must be pretty high compared to other teams across the top leagues.

A Kante, or even Wanyama type player would really, really help us though. Even having Lucas play recently has made us look a lot more solid. Rebel seems to think Keita is a player in that mould, so hopefully that's a positive sign that the club are looking to do something about it, as all along I had thought they were just going to ignore it.

I also think we need someone in the Alonso category as well, in that we often starve our forwards of quick transitioning type passes. The loss of Sakho has hurt us here too, as at least he was capable of rifling those passes into the front line and immediately putting the defence on the back foot.

Think of how much more effective Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana would be if we had 2009 Alonso and Mascharano in the team. The change to our side would me immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Mr.H wrote: »
    I don't think it's the system either.

Under Rafa (at the end) and Roy we also had defensive issues. Kenny had defensive problems and then Rodger's and now klopp.

I think the issue the same as our keeping issue is a coaching one. We need to change our coaching staff. We need a top class goalkeeping coach and a top class defensive coach.

I'd be bringing in hypos, Haman and carra to help our defence on the coaching side. Surely their experiences would help the defence in all situations Such as Ariel balls, man marking and playing from the back (Hamann).

A top class keeping coach like Clemence would be a great addition also.

Obviously I don't give a sh1t if these are the people we brought in. My point is we need to invest in our coaching team as I feel that is why we have these issues.

I mean we keep turning great players bad....... that has to be a coaching issue

Hamann doesn't seem to be a massive fan of klopp and is quite vocal about it so wouldn't imagine seeing him in the coaching line up anytime soon

Should I mention that before the Palace game Liverpool had won 5 and drawn 2? The form was actually pretty good.

We were playing like muck though, for the most part.

Our performances in 2017 have been largely poor and worrisome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Let us not forget that the same Klopp had us challenging for the league up until Christmas, playing the best football in the league, and having made a profit in transfers since he came to the club a year previous.

Injuries to key players have broken our season apart, no manager would have extended the squad with how little football we were due to play this year, instead he focused on quality of the first team and that has been a success, perhaps not buying anyone in January was a big risk but Klopp is'nt going to go out and spend money on players for the sake of it, anyone he buys he buys for the long term for the most part.
    I would'nt change Klopp for any manager in world football at the moment.

I wouldn't change him neither but of we don't get too 4 then he failed. I seen someone mention that finishing 5th is progression form previous seasons. That's ridiculous. We should be safe like spurs after that amazing first half to the season. Everyone was talking about winning the league and CL football wasn't even mentioned as if it was guaranteed. Now we're going to crawl across the line at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Keita doesn't strike me as a proper defensive mid, he sits alongside another defensive mid but he's usually the one who likes to go forward. Now that could work out if it's true that Can doesn't want to be a box to box player and would much rather be a DM, if he's actually up for the job.

A front six like this doesn't look too bad to me
    Firmino
    Costa?-Coutinho-Mane
    Can-Keita

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Keita doesn't strike me as a proper defensive mid, he sits alongside another defensive mid but he's usually the one who likes to go forward. Now that could work out if it's true that Can doesn't want to be a box to box player and would much rather be a DM, if he's actually up for the job.

A front six like this doesn't look too bad to me
    Firmino
    Costa?-Coutinho-Mane
    Can-Keita

No Lallana?

NukaCola wrote: »
    No Lallana?

Squad depth. Hopefully we'll be competing in enough competitions next year to have himself and Wijnaldum get plenty of game time. They're not bad players to have on the bench either.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Wow. The hate for Lovren is strong on this thread.

In fairness, has anyone said anything hateful?

He's not worth 100k a week and people are just pointing it out. I dont think its crazy/hateful to say he would be the CB everyone wants to upgrade is it?

Squad depth. Hopefully we'll be competing in enough competitions next year to have himself and Wijnaldum get plenty of game time. They're not bad players to have on the bench either.

I'd have them both in there ahead of Can and Coutinho personally, not sure how well your midfield would work but looks good all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I wouldn't change him neither but of we don't get too 4 then he failed. I seen someone mention that finishing 5th is progression form previous seasons. That's ridiculous. We should be safe like spurs after that amazing first half to the season. Everyone was talking about winning the league and CL football wasn't even mentioned as if it was guaranteed. Now we're going to crawl across the line at best.

You are right to a point, but it real issue this season (and probably for the foreseeable future) is just how just competitive the Top 6/7 is now - the points tally Liverpool is likely to end up with would be enough to secure a Top 4 berth in 8 out of 10 years but now it's a dogfight to the last day. Obviously the same applies to the rest of them which is why Man Utd, Arsenal and even Man City are fretful and Everton are only a little further back.

2015/16 - 66
    2014/15 - 70
    2013/14 - 79 (mad season that!)
    2012/13 - 73
    2011/12 - 69
    2010/11 - 68
    2009/10 - 70
    2008/09 - 72
    2007/08 - 76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Like many on here I'm a bit shocked and annoyed at Lovren's contract, giving Klavan's replacement 100k a week seems reckless.

RobertKK wrote: »
    If it is a fact that United have played 18 games more, then it is fact and not crying.
    It could be Jose having a cut at Liverpool and Chelsea.
    Liverpool have 4 games to play this season.
    United have a minimum 7 and if things go their way it will be twice the number of games Liverpool have.
    I am sure Liverpool fans would have liked more games this season.
    United fans have near a regular 2 games a week to watch.
    It does take a toll on the team, and that is not an excuse, it is simply fact.

Klopp well able to complain about fixtures in the PL too etc

If it is a fact that United have played 18 games more, then it is fact and not crying.
    It could be Jose having a cut at Liverpool and Chelsea.
    Liverpool have 4 games to play this season.
    United have a minimum 7 and if things go their way it will be twice the number of games Liverpool have.
    I am sure Liverpool fans would have liked more games this season.
    United fans have near a regular 2 games a week to watch.
    It does take a toll on the team, and that is not an excuse, it is simply fact.

He's insinuating its not fair. Actual he actually said it's an unfair fight.

Poor José with the small squad and budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    He's insinuating its not fair. Actual he actually said it's an unfair fight.

Poor José with the small squad and budget.

Well the squad is getting smaller and smaller, lost two players last night for upcoming games, Fellaini through stupidity and Fosu Mensah with a dislocated shoulder.
    They are dropping like flies after a fly spray has been used at the moment.
    This comes after losing Pogba in the previous game and Zlatan and Rojo in the game before that.
    One can add in Mata, Smalling and Jones.

Every game for United is taking a toll right now it seems.
    It may end up benefitting Liverpool and City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well the squad is getting smaller and smaller, lost two players last night for upcoming games, Fellaini through stupidity and Fosu Mensah with a dislocated shoulder.
    This comes after losing Pogba in the previous game and Zlatan and Rojo in the game before that.

Just concentrate on the Europa - let Swansea survive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lovern was considered to have turned it around last season under klopp, he was very well regarded. Now we are back to thinking he is useless again.
    Considering how open we play our football he is doing fine. Needs to stay fit, all these '' no reasons'' behind how he misses games needs explaining. Come Monday and an hour before kickoff he could be out of game, it's never explained, has happened so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Is conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lovern was considered to have turned it around last season under klopp, he was very well regarded. Now we are back to thinking he is useless again.
    Considering how open we play our football he is doing fine. Needs to stay fit, all these '' no reasons'' behind how he misses games needs explaining. Come Monday and an hour before kickoff he could be out of game, it's never explained, has happened so often.

He is certainly not doing fine.

Certainly not well enough to warrant a contract extension and massive (reported) pay rise imo.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Harry - instead of using 4th as a benchmark, you should use 5th. Arsenal got those 79 points in 13/14 but 5th were a good few points back, so 79 weren't needed to get 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

MD1990 wrote: »
    More crazy decision making from FSG.
    But it has become the norm. Good business men but don't have a clue how to run a football club properly. We are overpaying on average players.

Our wages have risen more in the past few years than any other club despite apart from last summer having consistently very poor transfer windows.

No doubt about it, this is Klopps decision, not FSG's.

5starpool wrote: »
    Harry - instead of using 4th as a benchmark, you should use 5th. Arsenal got those 79 points in 13/14 but 5th were a good few points back, so 79 weren't needed to get 4th.

That's why I'm not an accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

On a simple level, if we can't get 10 points from the next four games we kind of don't deserve to be in the CL. We certainly wouldn't achieve anything in it if that's beyond us considering the remaining fixtures and the rest we have between each one.

Klopp Presser Summary
    Injury Updates: “Adam Lallana is back in team training today so that is very good news. Daniel Sturridge is back in team training. Nothing new on Henderson, he’s not on the pitch thus far. The average age of the bench last weekend was 19.2 – not too experienced. With too many injuries we’ve had problems. We created a squad for this season, its pretty unlucky that there are injuries at the same time.”

Top 4: “A draw last night didn’t change a lot. It’s all about us. We don’t have 100% influence but it makes sense to focus on us. It’s very interesting and exciting. We are in the middle of it – that’s good. We have to do our job and see. We have to fight for what we can fight for, and that’s a Champions League place. It’s a very important game, nobody will feel like Watford is a friendly. Nobody should doubt our attitude for Champions League qualification.”

On Sakho: “When we saw pictures of Mam it looked really awful. There is no ligament damage involved, it was the best result he could get, and he’s out for a few weeks.”

Lovren Contract: “If you’d asked the fans after the Dortmund game they would said give him a 20-year contract. After the Palace game fans would have said ‘can we find another team who will have him?’ The truth is somewhere in between. If Dejan played for another club you would think about signing him, it would be a big number. He’s physically strong, quick. Sometimes his decision making could be better, nobody out there is perfect.”

On Watford: “A lot of things have changed at Watford since November. They have developed, they’re a good football playing side. We know how to play against defending teams. I’ve been really happy with the reaction in training this week. We are not here to talk about Watford’s skills, they have developed, we are there to fight them, we have to defend seriously. You can’t train like crazy at this stage. It’s about keeping rhythm, working on specific things for the next opponent.”

On Brewster: “Rhian has made outstanding steps in recent months. The Talent Group trains here once a week, he will grow. Physically he’s strong and a wonderfully skilled boy. He didn’t have a suit before the Palace game so I am sure that was nice for him. He’s 17 and plays like he’s 21. A real striker, good finisher, fantastic work ethic.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Advertisement

Gerrard confirmed as u18s manager. Enjoyed this quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/27/steven-gerrard-showboating-academies-physical-liverpool
    There is a showboating mentality through academies. A lot of kids think they have to do 10 lollipops or Cruyff turns to look good or stand out. We all love a bit of skill and talent but the other side of the game is huge. I have to try and prepare these players for careers in the game. Not all of them will play for Liverpool’s first team but I feel if I can help them to compete in the other side of the game it will help their careers. Maybe it [showboating] comes from computer games, I don’t know.
    There are a lot of skilful players that young players try and emulate – probably too much instead of playing to their own strengths. They try and model their game on players like Ronaldo whereas you have to look at yourself and say: ‘What have I got? What are my strengths? How can I improve my weaknesses and become a player in my own right?’”

Gerrard, who expects to complete his Uefa A licence by the end of this season, continues: “I like streetwise footballers. I think all the top players come from the street, that type of player. The kids in our academy are coming into an unbelievable place to work, they are getting boss food, they are getting picked up and the full-time lads get a lot more money than we got when we started.

There is a case that they get a bit too much too soon. They get into a comfort zone of working in a lovely place and then it is a big shock for them when they have to move on or get released. I’ve seen a lot of players come out of the academy with huge reputations and go into the Melwood dressing room. Then it is sink or swim and a lot of them sink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

J Mysterio wrote: »
    No doubt about it, this is Klopps decision, not FSG's.

I'm talking about how much is on a week.
    Not the decision to offer him a new deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Reckon 9 pts or more will needed for top 4.
    Both UTD and City have performed better in the reverse fixtures, so we need to buck that trend.

415926.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Klopp when referring to Watford. "We know how to play against defending teams".
    Is he having a laugh. No we don't know how to play against defending teams. That has been our problem all season and why we are now struggling for top four.
    He is straying into Rodgers type bullshít territory there. Concerning.

5th +1 point :D
    That's why I'm not an accountant.

neither is 5starpool I reckon :pac:

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    I'm talking about how much is on a week.
    Not the decision to offer him a new deal.

Yeah, Klopp's decision imo. He has a budget that he would have worked out with the brass, what he does with that is his decision.

Klopp obviously likes Lovren, and thinks he is worth/ deserves 100k p/w.

Klopp Presser Summary

Lovren Contract: “If you’d asked the fans after the Dortmund game they would said give him a 20-year contract. After the Palace game fans would have said ‘can we find another team who will have him?’ The truth is somewhere in between. If Dejan played for another club you would think about signing him, it would be a big number. He’s physically strong, quick. Sometimes his decision making could be better, nobody out there is perfect.”

He could have left out the bit in bold.
    But sure nobody out there is perfect is we won't hold it against him :pac:

Strange comments. Honest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Augeo wrote: »

He could have left out the bit in bold.
    But sure nobody out there is perfect is we won't hold it against him :pac:

Don't like it, too much like Jose/Shaw

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Don't like it, too much like Jose/Shaw

I was half joking.
    You have to be mindful he's not a native English speaker. I'm in Austria for 2 months currently and the folk I'm working with have fluent English but some of the stuff they come out with is bat sh1t crazy if taken literally :)

"If Dejan played for another club you would think about signing him, it would be a big number" that's quite complementary, and true too as we did :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They were - 78 wouldnt have been enough.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

They were - 78 wouldnt have been enough.

What he means is that the next closest team only had 72 points so anything above 72 would have gotten 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Arsenal finished 4th on 79pts
    Everton finished 5th on 72pts

Depending on which team/s the 6pts may have been dropped to - Arsenal may have finished 4th on 73pts that season

at least thats how my brain sees it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Lovren is a good 3rd choice centre half but 100k a week is insane. It also is a lot of money to be paying a 3rd choice central defender, so I hope it doesn't mean we will be going into next season with him as first choice. Definitely an upgrade is needed, a new CB and LB have to be priority number 1. Players in other positions have potential to improve IMO but those two positions are clear weak links in the team. In fairness to Klopp he has made some good signings as manager so far, Wijnaldum, Mane and Matip have all been great signings, Klavan and Karius less so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Lovren is a good 3rd choice centre half but 100k a week is insane. It also is a lot of money to be paying a 3rd choice central defender

Lovren is not a good choice full stop regardless of the money he is on. That kind of money should attract a good defender. No wonder our wage bill is up the top of the league.

• Advertisement

All the talk points to Sessegnon coming in as Milner's understudy, which suggests than Milner will be our starting LB again next season. Doesn't really make sense to me to have a young lad learn about playing fullback from someone who has probably spent less time in the position than Sessegnon himself. In saying that Sessegnon looks more than capable despite his age, at least on the attacking front where we've been lacking with our current fullbacks all season.

Augeo wrote: »
    5th +1 point :D

neither is 5starpool I reckon :pac:

Well at least we now know what you do for work!

All the talk points to Sessegnon coming in as Milner's understudy, which suggests than Milner will be our starting LB again next season. Doesn't really make sense to me to have a young lad learn about playing fullback from someone who has probably spent less time in the position than Sessegnon himself. In saying that Sessegnon looks more than capable despite his age, at least on the attacking front where we've been lacking with our current fullbacks all season.

If we did get him, I'd imagine he could reasonably expect to start 15-20 games in all comps, even allowing for no big injury to Milner. I reckon TAA will get similar on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Lovren is a good 3rd choice centre half but 100k a week is insane. It also is a lot of money to be paying a 3rd choice central defender, so I hope it doesn't mean we will be going into next season with him as first choice. Definitely an upgrade is needed, a new CB and LB have to be priority number 1. Players in other positions have potential to improve IMO but those two positions are clear weak links in the team. In fairness to Klopp he has made some good signings as manager so far, Wijnaldum, Mane and Matip have all been great signings, Klavan and Karius less so.
    Considering the injuries to himself and Matip and the fact he can play both RCB and LCB, he will be sharing time with both a new LCB and Matip over the season between injuries and suspensions and alterations to lineups for cup competitions. Third choice wouldn't be a fair description, I think.

Tbh, I wouldn't consider £100k/w too inflated considering the way wages look to be heading this off season and the number of games he will play next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I came across this article on Liverpools crests over the years and why they were adopted.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/125/261454-in-pictures-a-short-history-of-the-liverpool-fc-crest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A follow on from yesterday Douglas Costa today started following Lucas, Firmino and Coutinho on social media.

Random striker thought, if Klopp is basically wed to his current system of Firmino as his first choice, and Stufferidge and maybe Ings are sold then I reckon a good and pretty cheap replacement for them would be Anthony Modeste who is current at FC Koln. They are midtable and going nowhere else this season now, he is not top draw in some regards (passing/vision is a bit hit and miss) but what he does do is finish his dinner - conversion rate is very good at about 1 goal every 4 shots (comparable to Aubameyang), he's mobile and good with his head.

A follow on from yesterday Douglas Costa today started following Lucas, Firmino and Coutinho on social media.

Maybe he's going to Fenerbahce or Barcelona then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe he's going to Fenerbahce or Barcelona then ;)

More like China.. Teixeira did all the same things liking and following on social media before heading off to China.:mad:

• Advertisement

Rumoured away kit.

C-ghtWZXoAA2aOZ.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement