Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Good. point.

Scooch closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

a quote off the internet

of course I could have made that up....
    And Harry is outed as a sad Newcastle fan, by himself no less:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

So after todays results its back in our hands , lets hope we stuff watford tommorow

We tend to throw it all away when it's in our own hands.

Hopefully Our hand to foot coordination will be top notch tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I like him as a player but I wouldn't be to disappointed if we didn't get van Dijk.

That £50m could probably get us say two German international CB's like Sule & Tah.

There really isn't a value to talent ratio in the PL at the moment there is a better value to talent ratio around Europe.

Have said it before but I would love for us to sign Sule. Tah would be decent also. Unfortunately that's not how we roll. We wait for players like them to either get too good to sign for us or for them to sign for another PL club, play for them for a year or two and then pay multiples of what we could have gotten them for originally....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mourinho moaning about playing 9 games in April , despite being Man Utd and spending quarter of a billion on players.

If they are in the Champions League it'll be tougher as Anderlecht or Celta Vigo won't be in that this time next year :o
    He should have rotated more like we had to do last year.
    mormank wrote: »
    Have said it before but I would love for us to sign Sule. Tah would be decent also.

Sule joined Bayern already but I'm sure we monitored the hell out of him. :cool:
    How was Tah this season?
    Leverkusen have been shocking as a whole.

Mourinho moaning about playing 9 games in April , despite being Man Utd and spending quarter of a billion on players.

Well he should have thought about doing an arsenal then and got knocked out of European competition early to focus on getting back into Europe next season! :D

ERG89 wrote: »
    If they are in the Champions League it'll be tougher as Anderlecht or Celta Vigo won't be in that this time next year :o
    He should have rotated more like we had to do last year.

Sule joined Bayern already but I'm sure we monitored the hell out of him. :cool:
    How was Tah this season?
    Leverkusen have been shocking as a whole.

Ah didn't realise Sule is already on his way to Bayern. So like I said earlier we wait for these players to become too good for us to make a move...:( I mentioned him 2 years ago as a player I would love for us to sign but as soon as Bayern come calling it's already too late for us.

I haven't seen much of Leverkusen at all this season tbh but am confident Tah will wind up at a bigger club than them. Wouldn't mind if it was us. I would love for us to sign Youri Tielemans or Corentin Tolisso for our midfield too but again we will probably not and they will, especially Tielemans, most likely end up at one of our rivals or even a club of a higher profile than ours currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ERG89 wrote: »

Sule joined Bayern already but I'm sure we monitored the hell out of him. :cool:.

Pissed myself laughing at this from his wiki page. Sea in the dry German tone in which I'm sure it was written :)

On March 29th 2017, the Turkish FA contacted Süle about the possibility of playing for Turkey because his name allegedly sounded Turkish. He has no connection to Turkey

Looking at SSN just now, Man City's run in looks easier than ours and they have that Jesus chap back now too. You'd imagine they'll pick up more points than us in the next 4 games :o

Although they're defence is as bad as ours so there is scope for them to drop a strangely high number of points in any 4 games..... but you'd expect them to see it out.

Utd's fixtures do look genuinely tough; Arsenal, Spurs & S'ton away before the last game of the season at home to C'Palace.

Arsenal only have 13 points in their last 10 PL games though so Utd could well take 3 points there, draw with Spurs (Jose special) and 4 points from the other 2 games wouldn't be overly surprising. That's 8 points.

So we could sneak over the line on GD with 73 points, maybe only needing 7 points from our last 4 games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Watford game tonight could be easy or hard depending on what Watford show up. They have players who I get the feeling might be on holidays already. I hope so anyway.

• Advertisement

I think Watford could put in a right performance......... we always criticise for the team coming up short against the non Top4 / Top 6 teams....... I think what we all too easily forget is that LFC are a huge scalp.

When we visit clubs it's huge for the home team fans, LFC are in town. Their own players more often than not raise their game. Admittedly they seem to do this defensively and/or with their keeper playing a stormer. But they often have nothing to lose, no expectation of getting any points so they aren't under any real pressure of expectation. We on the otherhand more often than not need all 3 points .......... like tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

How are we fixed on the injuries front? Who's likely to be back tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Lallana hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Whats the injury list for tomorrow lads?
    Ings (!) Hendo and Mane deffo out with Lallana and Sturridge likely for bench.
    Fieldog wrote: »
    Lallana hopefully

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

How are we set for injuries lads? Anyone know?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

NukaCola wrote: »
    How are we set for injuries lads? Anyone know?

I don't think anyone here posts such things. Pity. We could do with updates on that and the youth teams occasionally also.

On a serious note........ Henderson has been out since 11th Feb :eek:
    And I don't think he'll play again this season, that's almost 4 months and there's no real info on what's wrong, how bad is it and what can be done.

Big worry looking forward tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Quote from Lovren before the game tonight:

"Mentally, we have to be prepared, even though it's not like playing Man City, where you'll find motivation without any big reason."

Bit of a ridiculous thing to say, to suggest that there's no reason to be motivated for a game when we're a few wins off a CL spot.

Augeo wrote: »
    And I don't think he'll play again this season, that's almost 4 months and there's no real info on what's wrong, how bad is it and what can be done.

Henderson's a good player but he'd be the first I'd be replacing in midfield when it comes down to himself, Lallana, and Wijnaldum. He's the kind of player that is more than good enough to have on the bench but when we talk about "top" midfielders he's not exactly in the conversation.

I also can't see him keeping the armband next season, especially if he isn't going to be a guaranteed starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Henderson's a good player but he'd be the first I'd be replacing in midfield when it comes down to himself, Lallana, and Wijnaldum. He's the kind of player that is more than good enough to have on the bench but when we talk about "top" midfielders he's not exactly in the conversation.

I also can't see him keeping the armband next season, especially if he isn't going to be a guaranteed starter.

Henderson was great when we were flying in the first half of the season. It's more this persistent heel injury that concerns me with him rather than his actual ability. Missed big chunks of the past two seasons.

Given that this is the second season of similar injuries (albeit allegedly a different but similar one) I'd be worried. If similar happens next season with a heel/foot injury I think he could be in serious trouble. Even if Can stays and signs a new contract, we need a new midfielder for competition purposes anyhow, especially if Lucas leaves, as always looks likely. The rumoured Keita thing would basically be someone for Henderson's position this season anyhow so would fit that bill, but if Henderson is fit, he'll play further forward I reckon if we signed Keita or similar, although I don't know how Klopp would lineup ahead of that.

Hopefully we'll have 60 or so games next season (which will mean it was a good season) so there will likely be a good bit of playing time for a good few lads. In a massive case of getting ahead of myself, what I'd classify as a very good season next time out would be: Top 4 again, win a domestic trophy, and knockout stage qualification for CL if we are in it.

5starpool wrote: »
    .............. what I'd classify as a very good season next time out would be: Top 4 again, win a domestic trophy, and knockout stage qualification for CL if we are in it.

100% agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

5starpool wrote: »
    a very good season next time out would be: Top 4 again, win a domestic trophy, and knockout stage qualification for CL if we are in it.

I could never aim to come 4th, to have a run in Europe rather than win it. When did it happen, at what point in history did Liverpool become a club aiming to just compete, not win. It happened at some point, and then the fans were conditioned to see it as normal.
    I can never see it though, I never will. I really think we have to aim to win league next year, we are so close, even this year was our year but for some very strange results.
    A good season next season is a League and CL double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Counting on Henderson to be available next year, and not trying to bring in an upgrade on him, would be exactly the kind of decision that would leave us massively regretting it next season.

I could never aim to come 4th, to have a run in Europe rather than win it. When did it happen, at what point in history did Liverpool become a club aiming to just compete, not win. It happened at some point, and then the fans were conditioned to see it as normal.
    I can never see it though, I never will. I really think we have to aim to win league next year, we are so close, even this year was our year but for some very strange results.

Somewhere around 2010.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Somewhere around 2010.

the 90s IMO

We've been marginally above midtable for more than a few seasons.

Rafa was great as he never aimed for 4th, or to get to knockout stage. He wanted to win and fought hard to drag club along to think that way to.
    He went toe to toe with the so called best and beat them all.

Yeah lads unless we win every competition we're in it's a terrible season.

Knex. wrote: »
    Counting on Henderson to be available next year, and not trying to bring in an upgrade on him, would be exactly the kind of decision that would leave us massively regretting it next season.

The last two seasons has to be considered the likely "Norm!!!" from here on I fear, cannot possibly to into a CL season with Can and him as the only two central/deeper midfielders and expect to prosper at any level. Obviously Grujic could turn out to be a monster but at his age he can wait a bit for regular starts.

Repetition forms habit. You have to believe that less than winning it failure. Look at Barca, they won't celebrate their run in Europe, or coming in top 4. There was a time we were meeting and defeating those so called giants.

• Advertisement

Yeah lads unless we win every competition we're in it's a terrible season.
    Conditioned!

Called it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

and to think that team over the fence were celebrating on twitter when the worlds most expensive player took over him in the passing charts on the premier league site lol

the 90s IMO

We've been marginally above midtable for more than a few seasons.

I think under Rafa, at least in the cups, we constantly aimed to win. We were able to attract the likes of Torres then because of this.

Where did I say it was the aim? It's a process. Obviously the aim at the start of every season is to win everything, but what I laid out before I'd be very happy with. It's not an all or nothing scenario you know. If you think we need to win the league and CL for it to be a good season you should stop watching football now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Stress of tonight.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Stress of tonight.

swtn.gif

lloyd-bridges-snorting-glue-airplane.jpg

When did it happen, at what point in history did Liverpool become a club aiming to just compete, not win.

Roy Hodgson.

Liverpool under Rafa were a force in Europe.

1st season CL Winners
    2nd season CL Last 16
    3rd season CL Final runners up
    4th season CL Semi Finals
    5th season CL Quarter finals
    6th season EL Semi finals

That consistency was very impressive and many still didn't rate him at LFC. Mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »
    Liverpool under Rafa were a force in Europe.

1st season CL Winners
    2nd season CL Last 16
    3rd season CL Final runners up
    4th season CL Semi Finals
    5th season CL Quarter finals
    6th season EL Semi finals

That consistency was very impressive and many still didn't rate him at LFC. Mad.

To be fair, that was pre-City and, it must be said, given the current lay of the land, pre-Spurs as well.
    The league was a lot poorer as well.
    I'm not sure what the stats are vis a vis the gulf in money, but I would imagine that lower level clubs have closed the gap with the TV deal being such a huge proportion of income.

Jürgen Klopp says Liverpool’s style makes life hard for their defenders

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/30/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-style-make-life-hard-defenders

In the article, he talks about the CBs making the correct decisions at the correct time and that we are looking at CBs who are more comfortable with open spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Gbear wrote: »
    To be fair, that was pre-City and, it must be said, given the current lay of the land, pre-Spurs as well.
    I'm not sure what the stats are vis a vis the gulf in money, but I would imagine that lower level clubs have closed the gap with the TV deal being such a huge proportion of income.

It was also during a time when Chelsea, United and Arsenal were all very strong though. There's arguably no one in the league now at that level - which is weird considering how much more cash everyone has.

A lot of money has been wasted and the more of it there is the worse it'll get. Wenger and Mourinho are in different ways past it anyway.

If Pocahontas left Spurs and Rafa got that job then Spurs would dominate league and Europe if he was given time and money and respect.
    A manager needs to be able to tell the top players at the club to GFT !

J?rgen Klopp says Liverpool?s style makes life hard for their defenders

meme_103_large.png

I'm not talking about domestically though, i agree CL qualification was easier for us but to constantly compete in Europe at that level was impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't agree the league was poorer during that period. The top end was definitely stronger, as per the European performances at the time. The Premiership's recent performances in CL is a much better barometer of strength, even if it is competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

BT tonight I assume?

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    BT tonight I assume?

Monday night football on Sky I'd guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement