Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    BT tonight I assume?

Sky I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't agree the league was poorer during that period. The top end was definitely stronger, as per the European performances at the time. The Premiership's recent performances in CL is a much better barometer of strength, even if it is competitive.

Was gonna say this.

noodler wrote: »
    Was gonna say this.

If anything the league was stronger back then especially the top teams as mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Don't agree the league was poorer during that period. The top end was definitely stronger, as per the European performances at the time. The Premiership's recent performances in CL is a much better barometer of strength, even if it is competitive.

That may be true, but I think it's easier to remain competetive in a generally weaker league even if it's harder to actually win it if the top 4 are as good as they were.

We had a lot further to fall once City and Spurs showed up and I think we've been ****ter for longer as a result.

There's not just one factor, but I think that was one of them.

Bentiez was also lucky to get most of the primes of Gerrard, Carragher, Hyypia was a solid presence.
    I'm not sure I'd say the team Benitez inherited was better overall than the one Klopp did - most of the team was ****e - but that spine was a great starting point.

On Europe, while the PL was relatively stronger, so too was the rest of Europe weaker.
    The French league was a non-entity whereas I don't think the Netherlands and Portugal were that much stronger than they are now, other than in brief patches where a squad came together before being eaten by bigger teams.
    Italy had more good teams, but arguably none near as good as this Juventus team and Spain was a lot weaker - pre-Messi, pre-Ronaldo and Real being quite as stacked.
    The Bundesliga wasn't that great at the time either - Dortmund hadn't come back yet, the CL also-rans were getting to the Round of 16 and then getting beaten 6-0 on aggregate and Bayern hadn't yet built the team that would go to become a force in Europe.

I suppose the takeaway, is that it's hard to directly compare different eras.
    Lot of different variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Origi if starting really needs to step up tonight.

• Advertisement

Jürgen Klopp says Liverpool’s style makes life hard for their defenders

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/30/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-style-make-life-hard-defenders

In the article, he talks about the CBs making the correct decisions at the correct time and that we are looking at CBs who are more comfortable with open spaces.

He mentions......"A centre-half for a top team is playing with a lot of space at the back. That’s how Tottenham act, how City act and sometimes how Arsenal act. Manchester United are for sure a bit different."

Spurs have conceded 20 PL goals less than us while scoring the same, Arsenal are 13 points from their last 10 PL games so they are where they are and not a PL top team this season.

I reckon Pep will sort out the Man City defence, they have been very bad at the back this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The last two seasons has to be considered the likely "Norm!!!" from here on I fear, cannot possibly to into a CL season with Can and him as the only two central/deeper midfielders and expect to prosper at any level. Obviously Grujic could turn out to be a monster but at his age he can wait a bit for regular starts.

Is it still a pop culture reference if its nigh on 30 years old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Is it still a pop culture reference if its nigh on 30 years old?

I'm glad you plucked the important bit out of that post! :P

Now, on to much more pressing matters. Someone start a match thread so I don't. Please. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Augeo wrote: »
    He mentions......"A centre-half for a top team is playing with a lot of space at the back. That’s how Tottenham act, how City act and sometimes how Arsenal act. Manchester United are for sure a bit different."

Spurs have conceded 20 PL goals less than us while scoring the same, Arsenal are 13 points from their last 10 PL games so they are where they are and not a PL top team this season.

I reckon Pep will sort out the Man City defence, they have been very bad at the back this season.

Spurs centre backs are brilliant they hold a really high line are very comfortable on the ball and physical when needed. The two best CBS in the league alderwereld and verthongen. I know they sometimes play 3 at the back but their FBS do be as high up the pitch as ours and granted they have a bit more protection in the middle . Hard to believe spurs got alderwereld for 12 million and previous to that he was on loan at Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I wanted Alderweireld from right back when he left Ajax for Atletico. Spurs have done some absolutely excellent business in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Knex. wrote: »
    I wanted Alderweireld from right back when he left Ajax for Atletico. Spurs have done some absolutely excellent business in recent times.

Pssh, they just bought him from Southampton, copying us as always.

I still stick by what I said last weekend in that the fullbacks need to be shaken up for tonight. For a system that apparently relies on fullback support on the attack ours have been so lacklustre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Knex. wrote: »
    Counting on Henderson to be available next year, and not trying to bring in an upgrade on him, would be exactly the kind of decision that would leave us massively regretting it next season.

If we get CL then we need 80-100m spent on squad to maintain the level of performance shown this season. All areas of pitch will need an extra starter imo

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

garra wrote: »
    If we get CL then we need 80-100m spent on squad to maintain the level of performance shown this season. All areas of pitch will need an extra starter imo

£80 to £100m doesn't go that far......... Mane £34m, Wijnaldum £23m, Karius £5M and Matip on a free............. that's still > £60m :)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Quote from Lovren before the game tonight:

"Mentally, we have to be prepared, even though it's not like playing Man City, where you'll find motivation without any big reason."

Bit of a ridiculous thing to say, to suggest that there's no reason to be motivated for a game when we're a few wins off a CL spot.

I wish Lovren would shut his mouth and concentrate on playing.

Every time he comes out trying to be a leader, he has a nightmare.

Giving him a new contract is ridiculous.

Giving him a new contract is ridiculous.

As Klopp says, to buy him would cost big cash. But than you'd wonder would any club stump up cash for him except us :pac:

I think they could have waited until end of season to give new contract, seems weird timing and there was surely no rush.

Ah well. hopefully he doesn't have a sh1tter tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£80 to £100m doesn't go that far......... Mane £34m, Wijnaldum £23m, Karius £5M and Matip on a free............. that's still > £60m :)

You are forgetting the couple of oddball "frees" or "last year of contract" types that Klopp seems to pull out of his ar5e like Matip. One extra full back, one centre half, one DM, one AM / Winger and one striker... All of them to be starters can be done for 80-100 if we cash in on surplus players at same time. Bring in some promising youngsters to support eg the likes of Gomez in the past

You are forgetting the couple of oddball "frees" or "last year of contract" types that Klopp seems to pull out of his ar5e like Matip. One extra full back, one centre half, one DM, one AM / Winger and one striker... All of them to be starters can be done for 80-100 if we cash in on surplus players at same time. Bring in some promising youngsters to support eg the likes of Gomez in the past

Am I ?

• Advertisement

Am I ?

Yes, yes, I think you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Three one to Liverpool i reckon.

Yes, yes, I think you are.

I named 4 players including Matip that cost just over £60m combined.
    I cannot fathom how you can think I'm forgetting him.

Yes, yes.

I see you are changing the speel a bit now though........... All of them to be starters can be done for 80-100 if we cash in on surplus players at same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

it would be hilarious if one of our lads jumped over a tackle and won a peno for the 3 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

If Pocahontas left Spurs and Rafa got that job then Spurs would dominate league and Europe if he was given time and money and respect.
    A manager needs to be able to tell the top players at the club to GFT !

:confused: Pocchetino has done an incredible jobs at Spurs and is very highly regarded right now.

You have a peculiar mind there Toby - a mixture of some fabulous insights and wild reasonsings. Maybe more poetry needed.

I named 4 players including Matip that cost just over £60m combined.
    I cannot fathom how you can think I'm forgetting him.

Yes, yes.

I see you are changing the speel a bit now though........... All of them to be starters can be done for 80-100 if we cash in on surplus players at same time

Changing the speel a bit? Its not like I'm trying to tell a tale or something, I just naturally look at "the spend" as being the net spend of all trades.

18M Studge, 12M Stewart, 8M Lucas, etc then sign the right players not necessarily the most expensive players and a net spend of 80-100M will be required imo.

it would be hilarious if our lads won

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Nice to Lallana on the bench, our most important player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BT tonight I assume?

No more BT games left for Livepool, all on Sky until the last game of the season that is not announced yet, meaning it could be good for Liverpool, after this weekend they will be playing before Man Utd until that last game. Man City will be playing 1st so Liverpool will need to know what they need to do to stay with them

• Advertisement

Come on you Red Men. Been offered another drink in the last chance saloon. Time to step up and take it.

Couthino in bits

Couthino in bits

Take him off ffs

Lallana coming on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why we need depth.

This is just pure muck

• Advertisement

****ing desperate. ****e.

Origi and Lucas are a waste of space in games like this

What a goal Mr Can

Give him his bloody contract for that alone.

And a Boss assist.

Ho lee shet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Top drawer finish. The angle...the movement...the finish, what a Finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Some technique from Can. Firmino and gini pretty much nonexistent in this game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Origi and Lucas are a waste of space in games like this

Agree re Origi but lucas, shocking dive aside, has been very good.

Lucas is becoming an assist machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lucas is becoming an assist machine.

3 from the last 5 games according to Carra....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Mingolet has been immense this evening. Don't think I've ever seen him cone out and catch so many balls. If he can consistently add that to his game he'll inject a lot of confidence into the defence.

Nearly bottled it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Thanks be to Jesus. Still worrying that we can't score more than one absolute wonder goal, but I'd have taken your hand off for 3 points before the game.

On to the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Massive!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Massive win, feckin delighted with that. Beat Southampton next week and top 4 is ours for the taking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement