Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You know things are bad when posts become 20 lines long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

somebody do something to take away the pain. theres no light on the horizon. i hope klopp has a cattle prod on the training pitch today, one slight wobble ZAAAP. education through pain for those ****ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

emo72 wrote: »
    somebody do something to take away the pain. theres no light on the horizon. i hope klopp has a cattle prod on the training pitch today, one slight wobble ZAAAP. education through pain for those ****ers.

As long as he uses it on himself as well. The players are not the only ones to blame for this mess.

Gbear wrote: »
    but the biggest issue is against defences that can reliably hold us at bay even when we're on our game.

I'd gladly swap those 5 defeats for 5 draws and 5 more points, puts us second and on the tail of Chelsea.
    Should not be losing games where we have 85% of the ball. If a team wants to defend against us then let them. Gladly take a point, but no we push and push until we make it so easy for the poorest of teams to score against us on the break. We need to wise up to it.
    I liked Rafa's approach,'' don't lose the game''

We are in relegation form. Teams in bottom 3 have better records than us this year and they are crap/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

5starpool wrote: »
    Well there is only one option at the minute. He's hardly going to say we'll change nothing until the summer is he?

Was the same story during the Jan window

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Is it possible to have a second high 5 evry, I'm good for it at this moment.

Just now.

First time in history.

Love it.

martyos121 wrote: »
    As long as he uses it on himself as well. The players are not the only ones to blame for this mess.

Honest post from me so take it how you want.
    What you say is a valid point but it's twofold.

IMO Klopp is not tactically adjusting according to the opposition he is facing and in particular there seems to be issues with his choice of subs and tactical adjustments mid game.

What was really weird about your performance last night was that for a manager who obsesses on playing the pressing game..where was the pressing last night. This could be more so on the players than him. It's not like they haven't had much time to prepare.
    I'm still convinced you suffered without Henderson but he's only one player.

Worse still Klopp was playing a high line in defence against Leicester. A team who is as direct as they come. You think at this stage he would cop that. That's on him.

Not that anyone in here cares what I think but he's a good manager, but nothing more IMO. He's likeable also and can see why Liverpool fans would get behind him but look past that and you will see he's not as good as some believe him to be.

I still think with better resources at his disposal he could improve but I don't see that happening at Liverpool. It's financial at the end of the day.
    The thought of this romantic "class of 92 football" is long gone. Spend the cash to win the top tier trophies. That's the way is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Korat wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a second high 5 evry, I'm good for it at this moment.

Just now.

First time in history.

Love it.

If anyone speaks Tagalog, could they translate please?

mosstin wrote: »
    If anyone speaks Tagalog, could they translate please?

I'd have a guess and say Korats had a few too many, check the Utd thread ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Knex. wrote: »
    A handy trick for whenever you're frustrated with Klopp.

Remember that he's pretty much the only person at the club who has ever fucking won anything.

Milner is probably the only one with any medal collection worth talking about. Our squad requires a lot of work. We all knew that in August, however.

And in January...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The U23s play WBA at 7 PM

U23s Starting XI vs West Brom:

Randall with a late winner.

Shot from outside the box, keeper should've done better but I suppose it come through a lot of bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

brevity wrote: »
    I get the impression that Klopp won't really be concerned about results like this until he's at Liverpool a few more years.

That's definitely not the case. Were it, he would need to be put down.

One moment stands out in particular for me and that was a brief glimpse of Klopp and Buvac on the sideline together gesturing, pointing and waving their arms while looking very angry indeed.

I think they were discussing where the blame lay and how the team were failing so badly.

The ****ing tactics need to be changed up to suit the players we have. We can use the wonderkloppball tactics when we make some actual signings.

Baffling also that given the fact that we were the beneficiaries of Spurs' tactical largesse playing a suicidally high line against us, we then went out and pissed that advantage away by being similarly clueless against Leicester.
    Genuinely would love to know how we imagined Leicester would play against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

mosstin wrote: »
    Baffling also that given the fact that we were the beneficiaries of Spurs' tactical largesse playing a suicidally high line against us, we then went out and pissed that advantage away by being similarly clueless against Leicester.
    Genuinely would love to know how we imagined Leicester would play against us.

It's like when guys say 'we don't worry about the opposition, we concentrate on our own game'. As nonsense as that is, maybe that is what is happening?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It's like when guys say 'we don't worry about the opposition, we concentrate on our own game'. As nonsense as that is, maybe that is what is happening?

No idea. Whatever, it's clearly not working. You'd like to think there was a bit more nuance to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Rafa anyone. Still love the guy.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

niallo27 wrote: »

The equaliser was the best goal ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

The equaliser was the best goal ever.

Comical. I actually laughed out loud.

• Advertisement

The ****ing tactics need to be changed up to suit the players we have. We can use the wonderkloppball tactics when we make some actual signings.

Wouldn't be putting all our eggs in the geggen pressing klopp basket either regardless who is recruited.

A team needs to be flexible tactic wise. To suit both our own players and to trouble the opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Randall with a late winner.

Shot from outside the box, keeper should've done better but I suppose it come through a lot of bodies.

I was half watching the first half but quit at HT, the game was a formality as they are through to the next phase of the Cup already but the result does mean that Huddersfield go through as well. Which is nice :) One thought that occurred to me was how soul destroying it must be to be at a club where there is no one more saluted than a centre back, the entire outfield 10 seemed to have been coached to think like one and their results at U23 level reflect that mentality - a succession of airless, flat-lining nil-nils and very low scoring results with not a victory since October.

At least with Liverpool, at every level you have genuine highs and lows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd gladly swap those 5 defeats for 5 draws and 5 more points, puts us second and on the tail of Chelsea.

No it doesn't. it puts us 2nd and 9pts behind Chelsea, still with no hope of catching them.
    Should not be losing games where we have 85% of the ball. If a team wants to defend against us then let them. Gladly take a point, but no we push and push until we make it so easy for the poorest of teams to score against us on the break. We need to wise up to it.
    I liked Rafa's approach,'' don't lose the game''

And Rafa's approach still failed in the league despite having the best Liverpool starting 11 in the past 25 years.

Blowing teams away every week isn't necessary with a good defence but you still need to be able to break the deadlock and we're far too easy to keep out when we're not on our game.

The way the points system works in football fundamentally favours attacking football. We don't need to score more but we need to score more consistently.

If you break our league games down by how many we've scored it's like this:

0 Goals:
    D - 2
    L - 2

2pts
    0.5ppg

1 Goal:
    W - 2
    D - 3
    L - 1

9pts
    1.5ppg

2+ Goals:
    W - 12
    D - 2
    L - 2

38pts
    2.375ppg

The 0 and 1 goal games include 4 draws against Utd, Chelsea and Spurs and wins against Everton and City.
    Our defence was fine in those tighter games.

That leaves a draw against Southampton, and losses against Burnley, Hull and Leicester.
    I can't remember the Soton game but the other 3 were predominately issues around our attack IMO. We should be beating those teams.

From the 2+ that leaves the shambles against Sunderland (2-2), Bournemouth, and Swansea.

Arguably our attack should've been better against both Sunderland and Swansea and we should've definitively put the games to bed but these are the game where I'll grant you that it simply isn't good enough to either let a 2+ goal lead slip or to get back to 2-2 and still lose.

To me though, those are the only games where the primary culprit for not winning (which is what we want - draws are bad) could be argued as being our defence.

Chelsea play control and counter-attack, it's true, but they wouldn't be top of the league if they weren't scoring against nearly everyone they play.
    We're not even giving our ****ty defence the chance to throw the game away in most of the games where we've stupidly dropped points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

niallo27 wrote: »

FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

With Jordan Henderson: 16W/6D/4L (61.5% W)

Without Jordan Henderson: 3W/2D/4L (33.3% W)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Melissa Reddy reporting PSG were interested in taking Sturridge on loan in January but the club wouldn't authorise such a deal and there is further interest from France expected in the summer along with the MLS.

Hoping for a crazy bid from the God fearing Chinese myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Only seeing this now. Worth a watch.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Least shocking transfer story ever. Sturridge to leave in the summer probably.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/28/daniel-sturridge-liverpool-future-jurgen-klopp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Knex. wrote: »
    With Jordan Henderson: 16W/6D/4L (61.5% W)

Without Jordan Henderson: 3W/2D/4L (33.3% W)

Very underrated on here. He is one of the few players we have that would have stood up to that last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Melissa Reddy reporting PSG were interested in taking Sturridge on loan in January but the club wouldn't authorise such a deal and there is further interest from France expected in the summer along with the MLS.

Least shocking transfer story ever. Sturridge to leave in the summer probably.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/28/daniel-sturridge-liverpool-future-jurgen-klopp

Indeed, I heard that Andy Carroll was the subject of three bids today (the window in China is now closed) so anything is possible. The sad thing is that for practical purposes Sturridge will not be missed at all. France would be interesting - seems to be a thing for PL forwards to wash up there - I'll guess it's not PSG but Monaco or Lyon who will be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Considering it's Liverpool we're talking about, we'll get a bid from the dog fearing Chinese instead...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Oh dear. It's happening again.

No one has ever decided that eating dog is better than loving football.

Welcome to Irish love of football in thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Honest post from me so take it how you want.
    What you say is a valid point but it's twofold.

IMO Klopp is not tactically adjusting according to the opposition he is facing and in particular there seems to be issues with his choice of subs and tactical adjustments mid game.

What was really weird about your performance last night was that for a manager who obsesses on playing the pressing game..where was the pressing last night. This could be more so on the players than him. It's not like they haven't had much time to prepare.
    I'm still convinced you suffered without Henderson but he's only one player.

Worse still Klopp was playing a high line in defence against Leicester. A team who is as direct as they come. You think at this stage he would cop that. That's on him.

Not that anyone in here cares what I think but he's a good manager, but nothing more IMO. He's likeable also and can see why Liverpool fans would get behind him but look past that and you will see he's not as good as some believe him to be.

I still think with better resources at his disposal he could improve but I don't see that happening at Liverpool. It's financial at the end of the day.
    The thought of this romantic "class of 92 football" is long gone. Spend the cash to win the top tier trophies. That's the way is.

You do not need to spend cash to have a team play to their strengths, play with aggression, play as a cohesive unit. It's **** all to do with who likes the manager - yes football is financial but doesn't need to be the end all. Leicester winning the league doesn't just prove that miracles do happen ... it also shows that a well drilled team with the same singular message can achieve things.

Spending the cash is not a guarantee that you will win anything. The premier league is awash with millions of € of over-rated inflated stars as it is. Look at Chelsea this season, tell me 1 guy that would have rated Victor Moses to make an impact in Contes side. Matic after the way he played last season and even Luis who many scoffed at going back to Chelsea.

Klopp will need time and money of course, but he also needs time. Football is a fickle sport, before Xmas he was walking on water and now he is drowning.

There is no quick fix.

Managers never want to change from what they believe. They live by it and die by it.
    Is Klopp going to turn into a Rafa type manager to save our season, not likely. He will continue as usual and try to get us back doing what we have been going for last 12 months, winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The derby is on sat Apr 1 at 1230. Not ideal as firmino and coutinho play for Brazil against Paraguay 3 days before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Vanolder wrote: »
    It hurts to be right ... I said back in early Jan that Liverpool needed to go on a ten game winning spree to stand any chance of making top 4 and how I was ridiculed ... posters scoffed at the thoughts of not finishing top4 and it was a matter of how many points we'd finish in second by.

You were ridiculed because you deserved to be ridiculed for claiming a 10 game winning spree was required to have any chance of top 4. Of course it wasn't, that was an absolutely ludicrous statement, and time has proven that. We've been ****in' horrendous, and even still, just 2 further wins would have had us in second right now.

And I remember those posts you're talking about, the consensus of people weren't scoffing saying 2nd was in the bag, people were saying 2 points per game from then on should be about enough to be up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Managers never want to change from what they believe. They live by it and die by it.
    Is Klopp going to turn into a Rafa type manager to save our season, not likely. He will continue as usual and try to get us back doing what we have been going for last 12 months, winning.

Conte changed after about 4 games

The derby is on sat Apr 1 at 1230. Not ideal as firmino and coutinho play for Brazil against Paraguay 3 days before.

Its ok they have done sweet fa for about 4mths anyway,theyll be no fcuking loss

.......... I'll guess it's not PSG but Monaco or Lyon who will be interested.

Be great to watch Sturridge play in the CL next season. Such a shame Klopp can't figure out a way to utilise Daniel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

shamrock55 wrote: »

He changed to the system he always used at Juve. Not much of a 'change' to be fair as it was going back to the familiar for him.

Glico Man wrote: »
    He changed to the system he always used at Juve. Not much of a 'change' to be fair as it was going back to the familiar for him.

While the great klopp just ploughs on with the same tactics wk in wk out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

While the great klopp just ploughs on with the same tactics wk in wk out

Because he's seen it work. It has worked before and he believes in his system. We've not played well since the new year, that much is clear. Klopp's tactics were good enough for us to play that way when we were winning before, its not working now, but he believes it will come good again.

Blind faith? confidence? stubbornness? Take your pick.

Conte changed for 4 games then. And then reverted to his way.

I would like Klopp to try something for 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Augeo wrote: »
    Be great to watch Sturridge play in the CL next season. Such a shame Klopp can't figure out a way to utilise Daniel.

Daniel (finishing aside when able) is like a ghost running around on the pitch for us these days, he's afraid to tackle and get in and win challenges...

Hope we sell him for a bundle of cash so he can warm the bench somewhere else....

You do not need to spend cash to have a team play to their strengths, play with aggression, play as a cohesive unit. It's **** all to do with who likes the manager - yes football is financial but doesn't need to be the end all. Leicester winning the league doesn't just prove that miracles do happen ... it also shows that a well drilled team with the same singular message can achieve things.

Spending the cash is not a guarantee that you will win anything. The premier league is awash with millions of € of over-rated inflated stars as it is. Look at Chelsea this season, tell me 1 guy that would have rated Victor Moses to make an impact in Contes side. Matic after the way he played last season and even Luis who many scoffed at going back to Chelsea.

Klopp will need time and money of course, but he also needs time. Football is a fickle sport, before Xmas he was walking on water and now he is drowning.

There is no quick fix.

Let me ask you this. What's your expectancy for Liverpool since Klopp took over and what's your expectancy in particular this season?
    You are not acknowledging Klopps inability to adjust tactically. You cannot expect to continue to play a pressing game all season with a limited squad without it taking its toll. Spend the cash or stay where you are.

Fickle sport for sure when two managers who won the league in the last 3 years can be sacked.
    But how long does Klopp get? He's got alot more time than the above. Again this romance thing is gone, I can't understand why people obsess over it.
    Do you think we should have stuck with moyes or lvg for another season? I'd say the only persons to be happy would have been rivals.

Looking at that squad, Liverpool currently have a decent first 11 but after that it's weak. You will not challenge for a title or trophies on this basis unless it's a fluke and that's that.

Leicester played a totally different game to Klopp. Direct football and allowed the opposition to have most of the ball.
    Kante mopped up and set up counter attack. Then Vardy and Marhez were used at pace.
    They are lost without Kante now.
    Tactically, this was more effective over a sustained period of time and easier on the players physically.

Your points on Chelsea are moot also because you are leaving out the fact they already had top class quality in hazard, fabregas, Costa, matic to name a few and the bench was equally as strong and they won the league with Jose.
    Matic was arguably there best player.

But **** happens, form dropped and Jose fell out with them. But the quality players did not leave with him.
    Add to that Conte quite possibly purchased the biggest steal in English football in some years in Kante. And now they will win the title this year.

The Liverpool squad in its entirety does not compare whatsoever.

Also, consistency wins you leagues not a blitz-go all out attitude every team you face.
    You have to be able to grind results in between the big games and this means having a plan b or c.
    Liverpool struggle to do so with klopp.
    Arsenal have struggled for years.
    Utd won leagues by playing some of the games poorly and winning. Same with Chelsea same with City.

Last point, the board at Liverpool are equally to blame.
    As I said with better resources at his disposal I'd expect better results. But he still has shown some inept from a tactical perspective regardless.
    If Liverpool are to step up a level he has to be given the relevant funds this summer. Then here can be no more excuses.
    I'd expect it to be his last window if things continue to go downhill.

Whats rafa up to next year?

Whats rafa up to next year?

He will return, he was sacked by two fools.
    Would love for him to take over in 4 years when Klopp has delivered 3 titles and a Champions league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Crikey, alot to answer here so i'll take a stab at it bit by bit ;))
    Let me ask you this. What's your expectancy for Liverpool since Klopp took over and what's your expectancy in particular this season?
    You are not acknowledging Klopps inability to adjust tactically. You cannot expect to continue to play a pressing game all season with a limited squad without it taking its toll. Spend the cash or stay where you are.

Expectancy when he took over was to give the guy time to generate a plan that could swing the clubs fortunes (Baring in mind we are a top6 team and have been for some time - bar the Suarez season)

Expectancy this season was to have a fit and ready squad that could execute his plan unlike last season where many were unused to his training methods and workload. Make a stab at top 4, make a final of a Cup. Push for CL football.

I am acknowledging his flaws that have been glaring in particular Swansea/Hull etc. I didn't need to see it again last night to confirm it. But as you just pointed out, he likes to press. He has a thin squad. That said we've just had 2 weeks off and a training camp abroad, people should be well refreshed to resume the press for at least 1 more game no?
    Fickle sport for sure when two managers who won the league in the last 3 years can be sacked.
    But how long does Klopp get? He's got alot more time than the above. Again this romance thing is gone, I can't understand why people obsess over it.
    Do you think we should have stuck with moyes or lvg for another season? I'd say the only persons to be happy would have been rivals.

Wow, really? You compare Klopp to the Moyes debacle or even the LVG borefest. Neither had his team playing at the level that Klopp did pre-xmas. Neither provided games like Dortmund in EL. Nor produced a Final. There's a difference between sticking with him and trusting where he is taking us. Sack him now? Pure madness. This is not a love-in. Yes he;s easy on the ears and provides great sideline entertainment ... i'd suggest the opposite. We'd be laughed at for sacking him by ALL other rivals.
    Looking at that squad, Liverpool currently have a decent first 11 but after that it's weak. You will not challenge for a title or trophies on this basis unless it's a fluke and that's that.

Its a work in progress. Should be some signings this summer. Gotta build a foundation to stand on. United could be compared here in regard signing another Centre Half, Fullbacks, Holding Midfielder and they could be on their way too.
    Leicester played a totally different game to Klopp. Direct football and allowed the opposition to have most of the ball.
    Kante mopped up and set up counter attack. Then Vardy and Marhez were used at pace.
    They are lost without Kante now.
    Tactically, this was more effective over a sustained period of time and easier on the players physically.

Kante would not be making them contenders now would he? They over performed to a level we'll possibly never see again in a lifetime.
    Your points on Chelsea are moot also because you are leaving out the fact they already had top class quality in hazard, fabregas, Costa, matic to name a few and the bench was equally as strong and they won the league with Jose.
    Matic was arguably there best player.

Add to that Conte quite possibly purchased the biggest steal in English football in some years in Kante. And now they will win the title this year.

Hazard and Costa are worldclass ... nobody saying they are not. Place them in any side and they greatly increase their chances of winning any game. My point is not moot, it is that nobody could see the form of Moses/Luis coming and thats fact. People laughed at Luis returning for that sort of money. You make out that Conte was always going to succeed at Chelsea and walk away with the title ... it would have been a huge gamble to bet on them winning it when the season started. They had a poor start and the knives were out. He will not win it cos they bought Kante, he will win it cos he lit a fire under their sell out underperforming stars. Again ... if you or anyone else called it before it happened ... i'd be well impressed.
    Also, consistency wins you leagues not a blitz-go all out attitude every team you face.
    You have to be able to grind results in between the big games and this means having a plan b or c.
    Liverpool struggle to do so with klopp.
    Arsenal have struggled for years.
    Utd won leagues by playing some of the games poorly and winning. Same with Chelsea same with City.

Yeah yeah, Arsenal have a soft centre, Wenger never signs defencive players or leaders, no Plan B, it's a game of 2 halves and the grass isn't always greener on the other side ... *insert Sky Sports Pundits armchair quotes to fill random space.
    Last point, the board at Liverpool are equally to blame.
    As I said with better resources at his disposal I'd expect better results. But he still has shown some inept from a tactical perspective regardless.
    If Liverpool are to step up a level he has to be given the relevant funds this summer. Then here can be no more excuses.
    I'd expect it to be his last window if things continue to go downhill.

Liverpool will give him the chance to succeed. At one stage he was a coach that we felt we could not attract to the club. He has plenty of highs and lows already in his brief but generally exciting tenure so far. We need to be patient with him and the board ... without spending we are more or less where we have been for a few years fighting it out for 5th/6th and at least he has shown signs that he can raise the bar which was proved before xmas. I would also hope that he is backed with some new signings in the summer.

I do agree though that it's all about consistency. He must go out and prove he can be consistent in both halves of the season. In the meantime he must also prove that he can turn this season around somewhat. So lets not put the cart before the horse.

I still think he is a good fit for Liverpool. But such is the nature of the game ... i remember a time when United would never entertain selling their soul for a person like Mourinho's stature. Sir Alex himself did his best to ensure he would never get the keys to the castle when he left simple because he was not thought to be "United Material". Gouging eyes and the likes ... but football is forgiving at times.

I think we'll stick with Klopp and give him the time to show what he can do ... thanks.

Crikey, alot to answer here so i'll take a stab at it bit by bit ;))

Expectancy when he took over was to give the guy time to generate a plan that could swing the clubs fortunes (Baring in mind we are a top6 team and have been for some time - bar the Suarez season)

I am acknowledging his flaws that have been glaring in particular Swansea/Hull etc. I didn't need to see it again last night to confirm it. But as you just pointed out, he likes to press. He has a thin squad...... I would also hope that he is backed with some new signings in the summer.

I do agree though that it's all about consistency. He must go out and prove he can be consistent in both halves of the season. In the meantime he must also prove that he can turn this season around somewhat. So lets not put the cart before the horse.

This season is looking like a Mane half season ....
    Without Mane we look as bad if not worse than I've seen us since ole Hodge' was in charge. 6pts.... 7 games... absolute dogsh1t form.
    Squad is thin and klopp bought no one in Jan & loaned out Sakho.

Backed? All the soundbites point to him being backed & making all the decisions. Personally I hope he'll spend in the summer, I have little doubt FSG will back him... as they've done with all previous managers.

I reckon he'll turn the season around if Mane finds form.... in the interim klopp would be well advised to keep the loony jaw in check and refrain from blaming the crowd.

@Demosthenese I would like to point out LVG won the FA Cup, that's better than getting to a final and losing no?
    I'm not comparing Moyes to Klopp in quality more so in the amount of time he was given respectively at the clubs without a reaction.

I never said to sack him now either. I said if he doesn't produce some sort of silverware or a finish in the top 4 next season then they will part ways next season. I repeat he deserves one last transfer window in my eyes but the pressure is already on.
    His two main issues would be to actually sort out Liverpools defense. It's been consistent in the amount of goals it concedes over the course of the last 4 seasons. Rodgers didn't address the issue and Klopp hasn't either.

@ the Jose point, I have already said park the "Class of 92" romance, those days are gone and I as a Utd fan except that. I'm not going to get into a debate about Utd and the reasons why Jose has been an excellent fit for Utd so far as that's not for here either.

@ the Arsenal point: But it's not a soundbite. Ask any arsenal fan after 2004, they have consistently failed at nearly the same point every season. Playing some wonderful football one week then when it comes down to the latter parts of the season they lose against a team fighting for relegation just as soon as the opportunity presents itself that they could actually win the league.

Anyway I've said my piece and acknowledge the points you made.
    Interesting because I had this near exact same debate with a m8 of mine yesterday who follows Liverpool. That was after the slagging I gave him ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

My own take on it is it's all about the calibre of players we have mainly have at the club. Weak mentality players. I said it before Shearer was correct in his assessment a few months ago about these guys. They have no problem turning it on against the big teams and getting good results but then as predictable as ever they will more than likely lose the next game against lower placed teams.

This is what Klopp was alluding to in his last post match interview imo. That these weak minded players are playing for their future. These players fooled him right up to Christmas but I think he realises now the calibre of a lot of these lads. Big time Charlie's, no more so than Sturridge.

Klopp is a winner himself and I trust him to get the right personnel in this summer if he is given the funds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement