Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

It's probably likely that Can wants assurances from the manager that he's going to start more games. He has been very much 2nd fiddle to Henderson. While I wouldn't blame any player wanting more game time at this stage of his career, we're so much better with Hendo. Can has been an able deputy but that midfield is so lacking it's hard to make any real conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Eamon dunphy has come out of the closet and admitted hes a lfc fan last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ricero wrote: »

clint_ew.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can will get plenty of games if we are playing plenty of games.
    We had no run in cups this season or Euro games. That could change next season when we win the treble.

Move over Gary Barlow. There's a new Worst Celebrity Supporter in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's no Mick Hucknall. He's the perfect fit for United. Not tbe whole "Simply Red" thing, just because he's horrible to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Now him not enjoying any of our wins under Rafa in the CL makes total sense

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/emre-cans-wonder-goal-stunned-12973427

I'd like to think Martin Tyler was too stunned to properly react to Can's goal here - the match having been turgid sh*te for 45 mins - but then I was reminded of some of the guttural hyperbole he's come out with for other goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What could get us third is the fact that Utd, Arsenal, City, Everton are all poor.

Substantial investment required in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sappy404 wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/emre-cans-wonder-goal-stunned-12973427

I'd like to think Martin Tyler was too stunned to properly react to Can's goal here - the match having been turgid sh*te for 45 mins - but then I was reminded of some of the guttural hyperbole he's come out with for other goals.

Follows the "yes" for Benteke's goal against United which was also quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ebbsy wrote: »
    What could get us third is the fact that Utd, Arsenal, City, Everton are all poor.

I keep thinking we're where we are 'cos we're less crap than the rest. Doesn't instil confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So I just saw that Andre Wisdom is still a Liverpool player totally forgot about him.

Well the club want ?6m for him this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

razorblunt wrote: »
    Follows the "yes" for Benteke's goal against United which was also quality.

while creaming himself over Martial...

Any word on Coutinho yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GiftofGab wrote: »
    So ive just heard that champions league playoffs are no longer seeded. So we could have a tough playoff game if we finish 4th. We need to capitalise and finish 3rd.

They are still seeded Liverpool will be on the Unseeded side even with the run last year to the final of the Europa League

So I just saw that Andre Wisdom is still a Liverpool player totally forgot about him.

Well the club want ?6m for him this summer.

Is he getting his game with RBS this year? He's still quite young I think, so 6m wouldn't be outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

ebbsy wrote: »

Over the last couple of seasons Arsenal have spent more than they ever had. United have spent outrages amounts.

Spurs have spent very little and Leicester spent nothing comparable.

Substantial investment is no guarantee.

With the money United spent they should have run away with the league but they are struggling to get top 4 and will likely miss out.

We need clever investment. We need to buy in qualities that we lack rather than big names.

DiMaria was a huge signing and he did f@ck all.

Big names are not always great signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Great chart on net spend last night on MNF.

Liverpool had 7m - Arsenal had 5.

It was over a number of years, I cant remember which ones.

The others were in all 100s of millions.

C-xHt_QXYAIte8c.jpg:large

EDIT: Found it.

Confused Arsenal with Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I maintain that our signings will not be world beater type names but a couple of "mane" type signings instead. Players that have great qualities that we badly need.

A left back doesnt have to be a worldy. Just a decent left back who is defensively sound and good on the ball. A bit of pace would we handy also to get up and down the wing but I wouldnt be too unhappy if they were just defensive.

A strong center back who doesnt panic under pressure. Maybe someone experienced but in terms of a decent level that they played at rather than someone like Klaven who is experienced but hasnt played at top top level which we need. Think Kolo Toure but younger.

A center mid who can sit deep and protect the defence but is decent on the ball. Hamann type mould.

A striker who can score goals in the air as well as with his feet. Harry Kane type attributes.

Obviously I am not saying that the players we get will be perfect moulds of the names mentioned. But hopefully our shortlist will be full of players who fit most of the criteria's.

When we signed Mane I personally thought this guy is gonna be class. We lacked pace up front and that was Sterlings biggest contribution to the team. Its easy to say now that he was a great signing but at the time a lot of people thought it was a poor signing for the money spent. So lets learn from that and give whoever signs a chance.

Id love Neymar but in reality we dont shop at the department. We will be shopping at a lower level but that doesnt mean we wont assemble a great team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

noodler wrote: »

Thought united would have spent more than city

sword1 wrote: »
    Thought united would have spent more than city

That's known for a while now contrary to the narrative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I would be happy this summer with 3 or 4 quality purchases in the right positions.

Left back is our most pressing need. Move Milner back to midfield and we still have Moreno (and Milner) as backup.

A solid defensive midfielder is a must.

A goalscorer.

Possibly Markovic and Sakho back from loan to bolster the squad.

Assuming Sturridge, Lucas and Ings will be gone in the summer.

That would leave us with the following squad:

GK - Mig, Karius, Manninger
    RB - Clyne, TAA
    LB - NEW, Moreno
    CB - Matip, Lovren, Sakho, Klavan, Gomez

Midfield - NEW, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can, Milner, Grujic, Stewart, Ejaria

Attacking Midfield - Coutinho, Lallana, Mane, Markovic, Woodburn

Strikers - Firmino, NEW, Origi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I keep thinking we're where we are 'cos we're less crap than the rest. Doesn't instil confidence.

Sums up the prem, apart from Chelsea and Spurs. Its very average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Knex. wrote: »
    Is he getting his game with RBS this year? He's still quite young I think, so 6m wouldn't be outrageous.

Played 10 games this season and turns 24 in a week.

If the club gets £6m, I'd be stunned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They are still seeded Liverpool will be on the Unseeded side even with the run last year to the final of the Europa League

Is it liable to change, e.g., if Dortmund qualify automatically and Hoffenheim drop to the 4th place spot then I'd guess we'd have a higher coefficient than them. How many such occurrences would we need?

I don't think it's too difficult to determine the kinds of players we'll be after. The club are fairly forthcoming about this stuff. We look for distressed assets and resale value, with perhaps one splurge on a prime player per season. The trouble is that this approach has not yielded much. One League Cup win and a single Champions League place under FSG should set alarm bells ringing. Our riskier signings are too risky, and our big-money deals are ill-judged.

So stubborn are those in charge that I'm confident our targets will not change if we get Champions League football or not this month. I have absolutely no faith in the footballing hierarchy at the club to make a competent job of implementing the policies effectively, nor do I believe FSG will change these policies despite the windfall of the TV and Champions League money. The only thing that CL qualification will change in terms of recruitment is the likelihood of those players to sign. But they're still likely to be the wrong players.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's known for a while now contrary to the narrative

Utd's actual spend is higher I'd say, as utd have sold several players for decent money, City haven't I'd say.

Also, it's hard for me to describe how much I hate the word 'narrative' as it is used on here, generally by utd fans it seems but the isn't the reason I hate it. Probably doesn't help though either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

I don't think it's too difficult to determine the kinds of players we'll be after. The club are fairly forthcoming about this stuff. We look for distressed assets and resale value, with perhaps one splurge on a prime player per season. The trouble is that this approach has not yielded much. One League Cup win and a single Champions League place under FSG should set alarm bells ringing. Our riskier signings are too risky, and our big-money deals are ill-judged.

So stubborn are those in charge that I'm confident our targets will not change if we get Champions League football or not this month. I have absolutely no faith in the footballing hierarchy at the club to make a competent job of implementing the policies effectively, nor do I believe FSG will change these policies despite the windfall of the TV and Champions League money. The only thing that CL qualification will change in terms of recruitment is the likelihood of those players to sign. But they're still likely to be the wrong players.

Really nice reverse jinx post!

Yeah I'm dreading a summer of protracted "moneyball" transfer deals too.
    Let's get third and hope the FSG/Klopp marriage have a fruitful summer.

Oh Arsenal.........

5mmSZpG.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

5starpool wrote: »
    Utd's actual spend is higher I'd say, as utd have sold several players for decent money, City haven't I'd say.

Also, it's hard for me to describe how much I hate the word 'narrative' as it is used on here, generally by utd fans it seems but the isn't the reason I hate it. Probably doesn't help though either.

City have spent about 420m euros in the last two seasons...United about 340m....in two seasons!!! :eek::eek::eek: crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

ERG89 wrote: »
    Oh Arsenal.........

5mmSZpG.gif

Why are you singling out Arsenal in that post?

Nope City have

It's what I have read here and elsewhere on numerous occasions.
    Fair enough if you dislike the word, I'm not trying to convince you too!

Why are you singling out Arsenal in that post?

I didn't realise they spent that much. I genuinely thought Spurs spent more than them. They are stuck with a few lads out of contract for them next summer too :(

Ah right. Fair enough so. There are no paupers in the PL anyhow I guess. I don't really care how much or little we spend if we win. Not too sustainable for us to try and match the Manchester financial muscle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I would be happy this summer with 3 or 4 quality purchases in the right positions.

Left back is our most pressing need. Move Milner back to midfield and we still have Moreno (and Milner) as backup.

A solid defensive midfielder is a must.

A goalscorer.

Possibly Markovic and Sakho back from loan to bolster the squad.

Assuming Sturridge, Lucas and Ings will be gone in the summer.

That would leave us with the following squad:

GK - Mig, Karius, Manninger
    RB - Clyne, TAA
    LB - NEW, Moreno
    CB - Matip, Lovren, Sakho, Klavan, Gomez

Midfield - NEW, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can, Milner, Grujic, Stewart, Ejaria

Attacking Midfield - Coutinho, Lallana, Mane, Markovic, Woodburn

Strikers - Firmino, NEW, Origi

Ya I would say a CB, LB and MF would be prioritized​,

I don't see Sakho or Markovic coming back tbh so another pacy wide player in the Mane mould would also be very welcome.

I'd say Sturridge and Lucas are gone, but wouldn't be so certain about Ings, hes been very unlucky with injuries he hasn't really had a fair crack at it yet.

I'm very disappointed the way things have turned out with Sturridge, Im probably overly optimistic but I still feel he has the quality if he could stay fit, alas its probably too late for him now at Liverpool, His post game hug with Klopp was very telling, just went through the motions, no emotion in it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

ERG89 wrote: »
    I didn't realise they spent that much. I genuinely thought Spurs spent more than them. They are stuck with a few lads out of contract for them next summer too :(

Yeah they spent quite a lot (for them) last summer and have gotten worse. I'm not a big fan of the net spend argument either, especially over such a small space of time as two seasons. Chelsea look really impressive there with a low net spend, but in reality their current squad would be up there as the most expensive to assemble.

I think it was a pointless table that MNF put up last night. Who really cares what the combined points of each team over the last two seasons were? All that matters is that Leicester got 1 title and Chelsea look good for it this season. Spurs can finish top of that table by the seasons end, but what use is that if they are empty handed as usual.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    City have spent about 420m euros in the last two seasons...United about 340m....in two seasons!!! :eek::eek::eek: crazy.

I would think city could be the biggest spenders again this season with pepe trying to get players to suit his game. So much for financial fairplay

Yeah they spent quite a lot (for them) last summer and have gotten worse. I'm not a big fan of the net spend argument either, especially over such a small space of time as two seasons. Chelsea look really impressive there with a low net spend, but in reality their current squad would be up there as the most expensive to assemble.

I think it was a pointless table that MNF put up last night. Who really cares what the combined points of each time over the last two seasons were? All that matters is that Leicester got 1 title and Chelsea look good for it this season. Spurs can finish top of that table by the seasons end, but what use is that if they are empty handed as usual.

They are always going to find a table that shows spurs in a good light as they are the most "England" team now

Recent history would suggest that Spurs under perform next season and come back to the norm.

It really does seem impossible to maintain a consistency that would have you challenging for the title each year, or even guaranteeing top 4. The league is so different to what it was even a few years ago.

That said, the spine of the Spurs team is outstanding. Look at their goals conceded compared to the rest, and that's them still playing in a high line, high press type manner. Losing the likes of Lloris or Alderweireld would really hurt them though, if that does happen.

Was actually only admiring the depth they have in their backline this weekend. Missing both starting fullbacks and they have Davis and Wimmer step in just fine.

Ah right. Fair enough so. There are no paupers in the PL anyhow I guess. I don't really care how much or little we spend if we win. Not too sustainable for us to try and match the Manchester financial muscle though.

I try not to get into a squabble about money spent. I'm a fan, I don't give a ****e how much Utd spend or any other team for that matter.

Only thing that should matter is winning.
    Hard to admit but that draw again at home was so deflating but we got what deserve and we are where we are for a reason.
    More annoying that Liverpool actually capitalized on the opportunity.
    I said it here the other day it would take a bottle job for Liverpool to falter now and looks like it won't happen. It shows progress which I also didn't want to happen.
    Any lemons?

We haven't conceded less than 40 goals in a league season since Rafa was in charge. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Is it liable to change, e.g., if Dortmund qualify automatically and Hoffenheim drop to the 4th place spot then I'd guess we'd have a higher coefficient than them. How many such occurrences would we need?

No idea, have to wait and see when the leagues are finished to be sure

If Carlsberg did winning it would probably be winning with a negative net spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

We haven't conceded less than 40 goals in a league season since Rafa was in charge. Madness.

Looking at the table there Spurs have only conceded 22 goals all season, must be a nice feeling I can't even begin to phathom what it's like to have a team that's defensively sound.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

klose wrote: »
    Looking at the table there Spurs have only conceded 22 goals all season, must be a nice feeling I can't even begin to phathom what it's like to have a team that's defensively sound.

Probably not as good as it feels to be Chelsea, with 30% more goals conceded, but sitting top of the league.

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If Carlsberg did winning it would probably be winning with a negative net spend.

I can't understand a fan thinking this. Surely unless you're the owner, a club's money is a means to an end and not some kind of bonus achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd imagine that's the net spend for the last 2 seasons as the table is for the last 2 seasons. Utd have spent a fortune but have recouped a fair bit in sales. Spurs have been brilliant the past 2 years they are a level above us as things stand. I wouldn't begrudge them the title.

I can't understand a fan thinking this. Surely unless you're the owner, a club's money is a means to an end and not some kind of bonus achievement.

Obviously winning is the main objective, but wouldn't you rather win it spending feck all while others are spending hundreds of millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

gonna be a sad day when we bid farewell to our boy from brazil lucas,what a pro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

City :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement