Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

@OptaJoe's Tweet: https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/859425390129016833?s=09

Surely we won't be part of that 2% now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Fowler87 wrote: »
    @OptaJoe's Tweet: https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/859425390129016833?s=09

Surely we won't be part of that 2% now

Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Played 10 games this season and turns 24 in a week.

If the club gets £6m, I'd be stunned.

"Hold my beer" Bournemouth, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Obviously winning is the main objective, but wouldn't you rather win it spending feck all while others are spending hundreds of millions.

If we won the league spending a pittance next season it would be the exception, not the rule. I reckon doing so would be seen as a vindication of the club's spending policies and would only see FSG continue in that vein. Starting this summer, so long as we were spending within our means, I would much rather see FSG consistently use money to give the best chance of continued success rather than rely on moneyball & see the club win the league once and have them rest on their laurels on the back of it.

For example, if I was Daniel Levy right now I would put every regular starter on new £100k+ contracts and go big on a couple of world-class summer signings. To not do so when you have a team like that Spurs side is just penny-pinching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

gonna be a sad day when we bid farewell to our boy from brazil lucas,what a pro

You never know there could be a new contract. I doubt it would be on 80k a week though. With new players you would expect him to be a squad player and that is too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I hate the talk about spend

I mean ffs Ibrahimavic and Matip cost their clubs nothing last season. I know I'd be delighted if I got players of that quality for nothing*

*obviously wages are a factor

You win the league by having players that suit your tactics and the team being well drilled and a close knit unit. The team doesnt have to be the best team on paper to win the league. They just need to be good at what they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

noodler wrote: »
    Great chart on net spend last night on MNF.

Liverpool had 7m - Arsenal had 5.

It was over a number of years, I cant remember which ones.

The others were in all 100s of millions.

C-xHt_QXYAIte8c.jpg:large

EDIT: Found it.

Confused Arsenal with Spurs.

What that table screams at me is: Spurs 15 points better off than every other PL team over two seasons.
    Spurs: 0 titles in those two seasons ( in all likelihood)
    Spursy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any nudes on Coutinho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Any nudes on Coutinho?

A bit much old man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

amber69 wrote: »
    A bit much old man

No, no, no, you're supposed to respond with..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAfBo0xHlauYkCarDDM9G6Upt-JOaelWDElCHbNilh38hdxHWpZtwSOlU

Someone post the meme list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Someone post the meme list!

It's grown quite a bit Harry.

Chris-Jericho-list.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

chicorytip wrote: »
    You would expect him to come and catch those in any event. That's part of his job! He was under no real pressure. He is of average ability, certainly far from "immense" in any aspect.

ah come on Deeney was trying to foul him all match imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Sappy404 wrote: »
    If we won the league spending a pittance next season it would be the exception, not the rule. I reckon doing so would be seen as a vindication of the club's spending policies and would only see FSG continue in that vein. Starting this summer, so long as we were spending within our means, I would much rather see FSG consistently use money to give the best chance of continued success rather than rely on moneyball & see the club win the league once and have them rest on their laurels on the back of it.

For example, if I was Daniel Levy right now I would put every regular starter on new £100k+ contracts and go big on a couple of world-class summer signings. To not do so when you have a team like that Spurs side is just penny-pinching.

Yes spending money will increase your chances of success, we are going off track tho, In an ideal world Liverpool would win everything while spending much less than everyone else is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

mosstin wrote: »
    What that table screams at me is: Spurs 15 points better off than every other PL team over two seasons.
    Spurs: 0 titles in those two seasons ( in all likelihood)
    Spursy

exactly they haven't won anything and are in grave danger of losing some of their stars as they have been paying very low wages. These alternate table type things are cringey. One table matters and Chelsea top that.

• Advertisement

Possibly Markovic and Sakho back from loan to bolster the squad.............

No chance x2 IMO. Sakho would have more chance than Markovic and Sakho has no chance :pac:
    Sappy404 wrote: »
    I don't think it's too difficult to determine the kinds of players we'll be after. The club are fairly forthcoming about this stuff. We look for distressed assets and resale value, with perhaps one splurge on a prime player per season. The trouble is that this approach has not yielded much. One League Cup win and a single Champions League place under FSG should set alarm bells ringing. Our riskier signings are too risky, and our big-money deals are ill-judged.

So stubborn are those in charge that I'm confident our targets will not change if we get Champions League football or not this month. I have absolutely no faith in the footballing hierarchy at the club to make a competent job of implementing the policies effectively, nor do I believe FSG will change these policies despite the windfall of the TV and Champions League money. The only thing that CL qualification will change in terms of recruitment is the likelihood of those players to sign. But they're still likely to be the wrong players.

FSG have always spent money ....... I doubt Klopp signed up not to be able to try and buy who he wants within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

gonna be a sad day when we bid farewell to our boy from brazil lucas,what a pro

Does Lucas have to leave this season? I know there's been a lot of talk but is it set in stone?

We have few experienced players in our squad. He also has some flexibility slotting in at CB.

Really don't want to see Lucas go, he won't be a starter but still has a huge part to play. We need added quality and quantity to the squad, Lucas going would mean having to bring another squad player. Feels like we have enough on our plate recruitment wise to let an excellent squad option in Lucas go

Really hope Lucas stays.

No harm having that experience around who can still put in a good shift when asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Really hope Lucas stays.

No harm having that experience around who can still put in a good shift when asked.

If he's happy with his current role then, with more games, he'll likely have it there for him next season if he wants it.

If he wants to be playing every week then he'll need to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really believe Lucas staying is just as important for what he offers off the pitch as being part of the squad his family have become so important in helping the foreign players settling into Liverpool the city as much as the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I really believe Lucas staying is just as important for what he offers off the pitch as being part of the squad his family have become so important in helping the foreign players settling into Liverpool the city as much as the club.

I want him to stay forever.
    Seeds of the new bootroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lucas is gas. Pretty much starts every season on the bench, and ends the season as a first team player every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I try not to get into a squabble about money spent. I'm a fan, I don't give a ****e how much Utd spend or any other team for that matter.

Only thing that should matter is winning.
    Hard to admit but that draw again at home was so deflating but we got what deserve and we are where we are for a reason.
    More annoying that Liverpool actually capitalized on the opportunity.
    I said it here the other day it would take a bottle job for Liverpool to falter now and looks like it won't happen. It shows progress which I also didn't want to happen.
    Any lemons?

Mick are you happy With Mourinho ? Looks likely now but not definite to finish outside top 4 , let's say you fail to win Europa league.

How would you rate your season on that basis ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

What's an ideal result for us in Arsenal v United game? A draw?

If we win we go 7 ahead of United and 12 ahead of Arsenal . United will have 2 games and Arsenal 3 games in hand.

I think a draw is the ideal scenario .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

What's an ideal result for us in Arsenal v United game? A draw?

If we win we go 7 ahead of United and 12 ahead of Arsenal . United will have 2 games and Arsenal 3 games in hand.

I think a draw is the ideal scenario .

A draw would do me, i do fancy Arsenal to beat them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

To be fair he never said a leauge and CL double would be the ONLY senario to warrant us having a good season, he's right in what he said, we should be out to win the league every year, the lower leagues are littered with once great clubs, Forest, Villa etc that lowered their expectations year after year.
    It's a slippery slope and no club is immune to it.

Well he said a league and champions league double would be a good season. That is wrong for a start, that would be a great season. Secondly, I live in the real world and no amount of me sitting at home by myself wishing we win the league is gonna change what I can expect from a season. We have no divine right to be in the top 4 or win the title, much like all those clubs you listed we have to earn it, we can't just show up say we are Liverpool and win things and tbh I'm tired of fans like him who constantly say "we are Liverpool, we SHOULD be winning everything" because that is where the constant jibes from other fans about us all living in the past come from and it only leads to disappointment. Rational thinking tells us that we in fact should NOT expect to win the league and that if we did it would be a great overachievement to be perfectly and not the norm.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A draw would do me, i do fancy Arsenal to beat them though.

Arsenal generally do rubbish against Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

5starpool wrote: »
    Arsenal generally do rubbish against Utd.

Drew at old Trafford this season. Lost by one goal last season.
    Knocked them out of the cup and bet them 3-0 in the league the season before. Drew with them season before that.

Hardly rubbish.

I'm in the "we must be able to find a player who can make Lucas leaving inevitable" camp, but would be delighted if he moved sideways into coaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Nalz wrote: »
    Knocked them out of the cup and bet them 3-0 in the league the season before. Drew with them season before that.

Hardly rubbish.

When is the last time they beat ye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd imagine that's the net spend for the last 2 seasons as the table is for the last 2 seasons. Utd have spent a fortune but have recouped a fair bit in sales. Spurs have been brilliant the past 2 years they are a level above us as things stand. I wouldn't begrudge them the title.

I'd say it is as well because it says it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

A draw probably best in the United Arsenal match.

There's no bad result for sure. One team trashing the other is probably the worst I can envisage for GD reasons. A United win would surely end Arsenal's chances, and then United have to go to Spurs where I'd be surprised if they got anything the way Spurs are playing, so tempted to want United to win this.

After the Swansea draw and fixtures and injuries mounting up I'd expect Mourinho's focus to be on the EL as well. It's undoubtedly their best chance to salvage their season and qualify for CL at this point.

Arsenal will be on paper favourite for all their remaining fixtures. Of course I don't expect them to take maximum points but they do have a habit of finishing strongly.

If they win all their remaining fixtures they would finish on 75. Would mean we would need 2 wins and a draw (or maybe just 2 wins depending on GD).

A United win along with a loss against Spurs and a win in their other two would also leave them on 75 (76 if they can nick a point against Spurs), so similar story.

A loss for either team surely puts them out of the running. A draw won't do either a huge amount of good either. So there's positives in all results but yeah a draw would be best, followed probably by a United win. A big Arsenal win is worst imo, for both GD and confidence reasons.

We're in very good shape and in all likelihood probably one win from three would do us the way the other two teams are playing. But best not to leave it to chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

noodler wrote: »
    Thought it was a foul on Cout that injured him. Also thought there was a blatant shove in a similar area in the first half we should have had.

Agree on the offsides though.

Overall I don't think there was huge amount into it.

Deeney had a couple of smashes and a blatant trip on Mignolet which could easily have gotten a yellow or higher as well.

Gerrard used to get a away with a few tasty challenges at home, with his home grown captain marvellous cape on he could scythe down the oppo to the pleasure of an admiring ref and only see yellow for decapitation. Deeney makes the most of it too.

I thought Coutinho was smashed early on purpose, which made the dead leg more annoying for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

When is the last time they beat ye?

Last season, 3-0 at the emirates. Sanchez destroyed us in the first 20 minutes.

Ugh. 3-0 within 20 minutes, it's sick to even remember that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Hardly rubbish.

Arsenal have beaten United 4 times in all competitions in 10 years, or 4 times in 24 fixtures. Think its fair to say they are generally rubbish against United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Jayop wrote: »
    Last season, 3-0 at the emirates. Sanchez destroyed us in the first 20 minutes.

Ugh. 3-0 within 20 minutes, it's sick to even remember that.

Thanks. Yeah I kinda half remember that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Its also mourinho against Wenger and that usually only ends one way. I'd expect a utd win but I can't see utd winning at spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I'm in the "we must be able to find a player who can make Lucas leaving inevitable" camp, but would be delighted if he moved sideways into coaching.

He's only 30.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Arsenal have beaten United 4 times in all competitions in 10 years, or 4 times in 24 fixtures. Think its fair to say they are generally rubbish against United.

Going back 10 years lol... Why stop there? Go back 30 or 40 while you're at it. United since Fergie left Manchester United are a different team, in some ways a different club.

Arsenal have done okay Vs United the last 6-8 times they've played them... United are carrying too many injuries and focussing on two fronts so don't expect too much from them. Neither team will make top 4.

Draw or narrow Arsenal win for me.

Going back over 10 years is not a fair assessment especially given the rate of change in recent years for both clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Reckon a draw, or united just nicking it. Would be fairly confident Arsenal won't win though.

Jose doesn't lose these games. He'll set up for a 0-0, and with pace on the counter might grab a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's a tough game to call. Two underachieving sides with managers whose best days are behind them. I'd take a draw.

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's a tough game to call. Two underachieving sides with managers whose best days are behind them. I'd take a draw.

You looking for bites there regarding Jose and best days behind him? He won the league two seasons ago. I'm eating a crisp sandwich right now. Night internet guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

You looking for bites there regarding Jose and best days behind him? He won the league two seasons ago. I'm eating a crisp sandwich right now. Night internet guy!

you can get them in dealz now,bread,and a bag of taytos in a bag.. awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Just my opinion I don't think he will ever reach them heights again. He set an incredibly high bar for himself in fairness and probably paying for it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Is it liable to change, e.g., if Dortmund qualify automatically and Hoffenheim drop to the 4th place spot then I'd guess we'd have a higher coefficient than them. How many such occurrences would we need?

Looking at it tonight this is how it currently stands
    3rd round
    Seeded

Russia - Zenit - Rank 19
    Ukraine - Kyiv - Rank 24
    Holland - Ajax - Rank 28
    Czech Republic - Slavia Prague - Rank 40
    Belgium - Brugge - Rank 52

Unseeded
    Romania - Steaua - Rank 60
    Greece - PAOK - Rank 61
    Switzerland - Young Boys - Rank 72
    France - Nice - Rank 118
    Turkey - İstanbul Başakşehir - Rank 158

Playoff
    Germany - Dortmund - Rank 7
    Spain - Sevilla - Rank 8
    Italy - Napoli - Rank 17
    England - Liverpool - Rank 34
    Portugal - Sporting - Rank 57

If Liverpool finish 4th they will need one of Zenit, Kyiv or Ajax to be knocked out to be seeded in the playoff, but that could be all changed by the time it comes around to the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Going back 10 years lol... Why stop there? Go back 30 or 40 while you're at it. United since Fergie left Manchester United are a different team, in some ways a different club.

Arsenal have done okay Vs United the last 6-8 times they've played them...

Well, the poster said generally Arsenal are rubbish against United. So, I guess you're arguing what the term generally means. Generally doesn't mean the last 6-8 times they played IMO which is why i chose a larger timeframe. They still only won 2 out of the last 8....I wouldn't call that ok tbh. Any way you look at it, Arsenal dont generally get the results against United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

91st minute of the game and the winger crosses the ball into the box to the centre forward expect this is Liverpool and the winger is one of our CB's and the centre forward is our other CB!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

91st minute of the game and the winger crosses the ball into the box to the centre forward expect this is Liverpool and the winger is one of our CB's and the centre forward is our other CB!

giphy.gif

classic Kloppball :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

giphy.gif

Total football.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement