Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

91st minute of the game and the winger crosses the ball into the box to the centre forward expect this is Liverpool and the winger is one of our CB's and the centre forward is our other CB!

giphy.gif

I half expected Mig to be making a run past the halfway line screaming for the pass while Klavan played fly keeper........nonsense stuff! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NukaCola wrote: »
    I half expected Mig to be making a run past the halfway line screaming for the pass while Klavan played fly keeper........nonsense stuff! :pac:

It is a little comforting that everyone else in red had pulled back to cover though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some of tomorrow's rags saying we are after Fabregas in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

At least the rest of the team let Lovern and Matip have their little bit of glory hunting and didn't support them in attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Some of tomorrow's rags saying we are after Fabregas in the Summer.

Great player but even if Chelsea were to let him go he wouldn't make any sense at Liverpool, not exactly a high energy midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

91st minute of the game and the winger crosses the ball into the box to the centre forward expect this is Liverpool and the winger is one of our CB's and the centre forward is our other CB!

giphy.gif

That's absolutely disgraceful. Shows a complete lack of leadership in our team that they were up there. Need a Roy Keane type character on the pitch to give them an absolute bollocking for even crossing the halfway line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

giphy.gif

Missed the game cos of work, please tell me it was at least a corner and that is why they were up in the opposition box in the first place!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So, 2 wins and a draw in our final 3 games gets us to 76 points. Exactly my target for the season - and exactly 2ppg.

Naturally, we're all affected by the ups and downs of form, but overall, it's proving to be an extremely good season in the grander scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mormank wrote: »
    Missed the game cos of work, please tell me it was at least a corner and that is why they were up in the opposition box in the first place!! :eek:

It was a corner. Feel better?

It actually wasn't, just a passage of play developed where passing and running took both CBs into the box, as it would in any other game, said no-one ever :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

punk_one82 wrote: »
    That's absolutely disgraceful. Shows a complete lack of leadership in our team that they were up there. Need a Roy Keane type character on the pitch to give them an absolute bollocking for even crossing the halfway line.

Attack is the best form of defence?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

murpho999 wrote: »
    You can't demand that in a contract.

Happens all the time in the lower leagues...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

NukaCola wrote: »
    Well, the poster said generally Arsenal are rubbish against United. So, I guess you're arguing what the term generally means. Generally doesn't mean the last 6-8 times they played IMO which is why i chose a larger timeframe. They still only won 2 out of the last 8....I wouldn't call that ok tbh. Any way you look at it, Arsenal dont generally get the results against United.

I know what you're saying, but generally doesn't mean the last ten seasons either. Why not go back longer then? Historically would be the better word there :). Also the Arsenal and Manchester United 10 years ago were different sides. Manchester United won the double league and champions league in 2008. Means next to nothing (in this context) including stats/results of the only English team to do the league and champions league double in the year they won it!

Some players still the same the last 3 seasons, football has changed, premier league is more competitive nowadays (you've massive clubs spending big money and competing for top 4 only).

With regards to them only winning 2 out of 8 and not being "ok". The word used was "rubbish". Those 8 games United won 3, Arsenal 2 and the rest draws. Almost 50-50 there! Hardly rubbish.

I'd expect Utd to beat Arsenal tbh, Arsenal have been woeful for months now.... & Utd have been in good form all considered.

Also Jose would love to heap further misery on Arsene you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd expect Utd to beat Arsenal tbh, Arsenal have been woeful for months now.... & Utd have been in good form all considered.

Also Jose would love to heap further misery on Arsene you'd imagine.

It's possible. However I think United's injuries and Europa surge will cost them in the league.

Liverpool will get top 4. Arsenal definitely won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

giphy.gif

I'll never understand this. Thanks be to Christ we had Klavan and Lucas covering for them, but there's still no excusing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

giphy.gif

No wonder VVD has been linked. A centre half with form for dribbling the length of the pitch and scoring, and curling them in from 30 yards

Di Marzio reporting that United bid 85m for Mbappe, which was rejected by Monaco. He's normally informed about them, so its plausible that it happened.

Definitely not a player I want to see them getting, but it also shows the vast differences in our resources, or transfer policies. Not a chance of Liverpool spending that money on anyone, especially with no guarantee of CL football.

I still think Mbappe is likely to stay at Monaco a while more before joining Real Madrid, so here's hoping that happens rather than him joining the PL, because you can be fairly certain he won't be joining Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Knex. wrote:
    Definitely not a player I want to see them getting, but it also shows the vast differences in our resources, or transfer policies. Not a chance of Liverpool spending that money on anyone, especially with no guarantee of CL football.

With Jose I wouldn't fear them signing any attackers as he probably won't get the best out of them & is as likely to lash out at them than improve them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'd love for us to sign Fabregas, but I read somewhere recently that he's on ?200k+, which is too rich for FSG's blood IMO. He's also going on 30.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He's the new Martial.

Febregas wouldn't suit our high tempo that far up pitch IMO.
    You could say we need someone to put foot on ball and calm things from DM at times but not in the final third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Initially I thought Cesc has not got the legs or the temperament for our high press game but I am coming around to thinking this could be genius.
    Our issues this year have been about having the guile to break down teams who give us the ball and defend deep. Cesc is still a fabulous footballer , he has a killer pass and vision , wages are clearly too high for a player who will not start that often or in the big games but could be the missing link .

I can't see us signing Fabregas. Silly rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Looking at it tonight this is how it currently stands
    3rd round
    Seeded

Russia - Zenit - Rank 19
    Ukraine - Kyiv - Rank 24
    Holland - Ajax - Rank 28
    Czech Republic - Slavia Prague - Rank 40
    Belgium - Brugge - Rank 52

Unseeded
    Romania - Steaua - Rank 60
    Greece - PAOK - Rank 61
    Switzerland - Young Boys - Rank 72
    France - Nice - Rank 118
    Turkey - İstanbul Başakşehir - Rank 158

Playoff
    Germany - Dortmund - Rank 7
    Spain - Sevilla - Rank 8
    Italy - Napoli - Rank 17
    England - Liverpool - Rank 34
    Portugal - Sporting - Rank 57

If Liverpool finish 4th they will need one of Zenit, Kyiv or Ajax to be knocked out to be seeded in the playoff, but that could be all changed by the time it comes around to the end of the season

Do not fancy the possibility of facing Dortmund Napoli or Sevilla.

Hopefully we can nab 3rd place and avoid all this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Morzadec wrote: »

Knowing our luck we will finish 4th and do an Everton and get knocked out in the qualifier. That would be horrible. Hopefully we finish 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

ricero wrote: »
    Morzadec wrote: »

Knowing our luck we will finish 4th and do an Everton and get knocked out in the qualifier. That would be horrible. Hopefully we finish 3rd.
    But even as worth case scenario, we've have a summer players who come for CL football, so that would help.
    I'd be more worried about losing Coutinho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Dickerty wrote: »
    But even as worth case scenario, we've have a summer players who come for CL football, so that would help.
    I'd be more worried about losing Coutinho...

Not al all, the opposite would happen - we'd have a summer of 'cant really get those big targets because CL isn't guaranteed until/if we win the playoff'.
    Ending up with a late move for Chris Wood or suchlike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think we will have to win our last 3 games including a decent hammering in one of them to finish 3rd.

There's a good chance City will win all their games and score a lot of goals in the process, especially now Jesus is back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Hard to predict who is going to win a game not a mind 4 games the way the league has gone. There will be a few surprises yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think we will have to win our last 3 games including a decent hammering in one of them to finish 3rd.

There's a good chance City will win all their games and score a lot of goals in the process, especially now Jesus is back.

Christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

noodler wrote: »
    Christ

Superstar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    noodler wrote: »
    Christ

Superstar!
    He looks like a girl...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rumour of the day... Virgil van Dijk agrees to join Liverpool, providing they secure top 4.

http://readliverpoolfc.com/2017/05/03/virgil-van-dijk-agrees-join-liverpool-secure-top-four-place/

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Knex. wrote: »
    Rumour of the day... Virgil van Dijk agrees to join Liverpool, providing they secure top 4.

http://readliverpoolfc.com/2017/05/03/virgil-van-dijk-agrees-join-liverpool-secure-top-four-place/

Verbal agreement though, that don't mean sheeeiiiiitttt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

you know the drill folks, not until they're leaning!

Anyone else think Sturridge should start against Southampton at the weekend?

Either that or if Coutinho is fit, we can put Lallana in as a starter and let Firmino play as the striker. I know Origi has a good scoring record against Southampton in the past, but he's been a little lost in recent games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Either that or if Coutinho is fit, we can put Lallana in as a starter and let Firmino play as the striker. I know Origi has a good scoring record against Southampton in the past, but he's been a little lost in recent games.

A little lost is being quite kind to Origi.

He's a talented player who is not in form at the minute. I fully expect him to start but I'd have sturridge or lallana in the team ahead of him once coutinho is fit and starting.

Mick are you happy With Mourinho ? Looks likely now but not definite to finish outside top 4 , let's say you fail to win Europa league.

How would you rate your season on that basis ?!

Only spotting this now and am only going to respond once as this is the Liverpool thread not the Utd thread so not looking to throw off topic:

I'm happy with the progression and how he has handled certain situations but have also questioned some of the squad handling and some odd substitutions.

Trying to shake off the Moyes / LVG hangover has been tough task but the difference in quality of football last season to this season however is still miles better.

Regardless of most of the draws at home we are still creating so many more chances. Seem to bottling the chances when in front of goal, that's on the players and also on Jose to motivate them and improve it in training.

Very hard to rate the season when it's not over yet.

We should be concentrating on the EL only now. 2 trophies and Champions League qualification would be a successful first season as manager.

Expect more movers and shakers in the summer to build on the squad and Jose now has the scope to be ruthless. To be fair to him he's given everyone a fair chance to prove themselves and it's evident some players are not up to the standard Utd should expect.

Focus should be continuing to build around Pogba. Need a DM to support him and to replace Carrick. Herrera should continue his role alongside Pogba.
    Martial / Rashford / Lingard need to continue to be nurtured

For season 2, A CB, DM and another Striker would be an ideal transfer window but 2nd season needs to be a genuine challenge for the title.
    Cannot expect anything less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Initially I thought Cesc has not got the legs or the temperament for our high press game but I am coming around to thinking this could be genius.
    Our issues this year have been about having the guile to break down teams who give us the ball and defend deep. Cesc is still a fabulous footballer , he has a killer pass and vision , wages are clearly too high for a player who will not start that often or in the big games but could be the missing link .

Do ya honestly think Fabregas would swap Chelsea's bench for Liverpool's? The only way he's leaving is for first team football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Knex. wrote:

Chelsea one day, City the next & now Liverpool today. Must be a very nice lad to be promising to join all these teams. If push comes to shove they will offer a higher wage & fee than us, even if we have a "warchest".
    :rolleyes:
    I loathe that term.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was groaning when I seen him coming on the other night.

Then within a minute or so he created a brilliant chance which forced a decent save.

There was a badly misplaced pass as well.

Then he had a chance to run through nearly one on one with the keeper and he put the breaks on.....I was cursing him. But then I applauded him, instead of potentially losing the ball and giving the chance of a quick counter, he held up play and chewed away at time.

He had 10 minutes and done alot in that time, if he can do that over the course of 90 minutes I'd gladly play him.

So I'm back on my Sturridge fence of loving him (when fit and firing) and hating him (for injuries and lack of running).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The same agreement we had for Sanchez,Willian & Mkhitaryan.

Van Dijk is very good. But we should let Chelsea pay 50m for him & then try & sign Zouma for 25m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Poor ol Origi.

I actually think he's done alright for us recently. Considering the opposition we've been playing..away from home, big strong physical teams... he's pretty much had a thankless job. The last night he was running the channels, trying to hold up play, taking hits, harassing defenders and trying to get on the end of through balls...which is basically impossible against a packed defence.
    He's got 6 goals and 4 assists this season. That's not a bad return in fairness for a guy who was probably seen as third/fourth choice at the start of the season...and its more than likes of rashford, rooney, janssen, sturridge and a few other big names have managed this season. Small bit of credit for the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Poor ol Origi.

I actually think he's done alright for us recently. Considering the opposition we've been playing..away from home, big strong physical teams... he's pretty much had a thankless job. The last night he was running the channels, trying to hold up play, taking hits, harassing defenders and trying to get on the end of through balls...which is basically impossible against a packed defence.
    He's got 6 goals and 4 assists this season. That's not a bad return in fairness for a guy who was probably seen as third/fourth choice at the start of the season...and its more than likes of rashford, rooney, janssen, sturridge and a few other big names have managed this season. Small bit of credit for the guy.

Nah been poison for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Sturridge looked dangerous when he came on v Watford. Hungry. He finds space with the ball at his feet better than Origi, whose close control is excellent but ineffectual most of the time.

Sturridge didn't do enough to look dangerous vs Watford, he only got the ball a few times.

I still would start him on Sunday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Poor ol Origi.

I would question whether he has the killer instinct to be a top class striker, when Lallanas shot came back of the cross bar on Monday night it comes to Origi an he tries to chest it with a defender in front of him If he was braver he would have gone with the head and maybe got himself a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

5starpool wrote: »
    Sturridge didn't do enough to look dangerous vs Watford, he only got the ball a few times.

I still would start him on Sunday though.

Tbf in the 10 minutes he got he created one of the best chances of the game for himself, took a really good save to stop him scoring.

• Advertisement

I would question whether he has the killer instinct to be a top class striker, when Lallanas shot came back of the cross bar on Monday night it comes to Origi an he tries to chest it with a defender in front of him If he was braver he would have gone with the head and maybe got himself a goal.

I don't even thinks its a bravery thing, his general anticipation and knowledge of where he should be is massively lacking in comparison to 'natural goalscorers'.

He's just turned 22, so there is time for him to improve here, but I wouldn't be hugely confident of him ever being a 20 goal a season striker, tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement