Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Great way to warn up for the long drive ahead, Klopp has clearly identified our need to work on our corners and hopefully those fixtures will give us traction going into the new season.

Am i doing this rite?

A fellani hand ball OG in the 7th minute of injury time please, and thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Great way to warn up for the long drive ahead, Klopp has clearly identified our need to work on our corners and hopefully those fixtures will give us traction going into the new season.

Am i doing this rite?

A bit tyring to be hoenst...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In other news, Barca offering 51 mil for Coutinho. Surely we should be looking for a hell of a lot more than that?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dr_Evil_Laser.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Like in the motors forum..

Can you recom........

Stop you there buddy, Yaris.

You're reccomending Yaris' to people? Like it's some sort of no-brainer? lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

In other news, Barca offering 51 mil for Coutinho. Surely we should be looking for a hell of a lot more than that?!

No incentive to sell at that price. Long term contract, important first team player, would be difficult to replace. I would hope we'd reject any fee from them unless its silly money. 51M isn't quite there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we sell Coutinho for £51m and buy van Dijk for £50m I'm done with football as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

After all these month how are people still confused with the champions league qualification.

We sold Suarez cheap, i hope we won't make the same mistake with Coutinho.

If we get CL, i'd say he'll give us one more year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

We sold Suarez cheap, i hope we won't make the same mistake with Coutinho.

If we get CL, i'd say he'll give us one more year.

I don't think he is going anywhere unless it is for a three figure sum. He seems happy at the club. Suarez wanted to move for a while and his disciplinary record was reflected in his price so it was fair enough at the time given the risks if there was another incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

sword1 wrote: »
    I don't think he is going anywhere unless it is for a three figure sum. He seems happy at the club. Suarez wanted to move for a while and his disciplinary record was reflected in his price so it was fair enough at the time given the risks if there was another incident

Coutinho wont fetch anywhere close to 3 figures

He is top class but he is also very inconsistent. I love the guy but at times he is more hype than quality.

I am not denying he is our best player but if money wasnt an object we could easily replace him. There are loads of players out there better than him and the only reason Barca want him is his agent and Neymar.

Around 50 million is a fair price for him. However around 50 million is not a fair price for a certain defender playing at Southampton mersey side reserves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Mr.H wrote: »

He is top class but he is also very inconsistent. I love the guy but at times he is more hype than quality.

I am not denying he is our best player but if money wasnt an object we could easily replace him. There are loads of players out there better than him and the only reason Barca want him is his agent and Neymar.

Around 50 million is a fair price for him. However around 50 million is not a fair price for a certain defender playing at Southampton mersey side reserves

Not getting close to 3 figure's why not, Look at Pogba, Phil is clearly better than him.

Fact is if we sell him we will be very very lucky to sign an adequate replacement.

51 million is an insult tbh.

Prices aren't fair though. I won't put you on the spot and ask you to name a replacement for on/under 50M but I'd say you'd find it difficult. The only way selling him at that price makes sense for us is if we had a target that was superior and we needed the cash, 50M is fine as we are looking to sell. We have absolutely no reason to sell so Barca will need to pay an unfair price.

Not getting close to 3 figure's why not, Look at Pogba, Phil is clearly better than him.

Fact is if we sell him we will be very very lucky to sign an adequate replacement.

51 million is an insult tbh.

Im not saying we would get an adequate replacement. I am saying that 50 million is probably his value.

Is he better than Suarez?? (not that Suarez's price is anything to do with it)

We wont get 100 million for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Im not saying we would get an adequate replacement. I am saying that 50 million is probably his value.

Nothing stopping us for asking, though. Pay up or bugger off till next year, Barca.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Prices aren't fair though. I won't put you on the spot and ask you to name a replacement for on/under 50M but I'd say you'd find it difficult. The only way selling him at that price makes sense for us is if we had a target that was superior and we needed the cash, 50M is fine as we are looking to sell. We have absolutely no reason to sell so Barca will need to pay an unfair price.

Listen I am very much of the camp that we ask for 700 million and hope for the best price possible. But realistically if he wants to go (and if they come knocking he just might) then we aint getting close to 100 million. 50 imo (which is worth nothing) is his market value.

How much did Payet go for?? If Sanchez didnt only have a year on his contract how much would he be worth?? He scores way more than Phil.

100 million would be a world record fee. Do you think Phil is a world record fee player??

It would mean he will fetch more money than James, Sanchez, Ozil and Griezmann this summer.

Do you really think even with current contract status' he is worth more than any of them??

Lets be realistic. If Coutinho goes it will be because he wants to go. It will also mean his fee will be somewhere between 50-70 million. I think it will be at the lower end myself.

Nothing stopping us for asking, though. Pay up or bugger off till next year, Barca.

Exactly. I hope he stays.

I just fear his head will be turned by the idea of replacing Iniesta and linking up with Neymar Messi and Suarez. I mean that would be a huge opportunity for him along with the prospect of winning league titles and competing in the latter stages of the CL every season.

Given the fact he is only 25 (this summer) means he has a chance to win a lot of medals with Barca and you couldnt blame him if he wanted to go.

I do hope we play hard ball and force Barca to offer players we want if they dont have the cash.

Ok question!!

Would you sell to Barca for 50 million or City for 100 million??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think 50m is his value tbh.

70+ for me.

Theres always a premium when its your club's best asset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

He's not better than Suarez, but Suarez had alot of baggage so not really relative.

Hes not near the end of his contract, he's better than Pogba, so I reckon we should only accept an 80 million plus offer.

What he's worth is irrelevant when Barca are looking for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

What he's worth is irrelevant when Barca are looking for him.

Price is what you pay, value is what you get. "Warren Buffett"

His value to a Barcelona team may be higher than any other given the imminent change of manager and potential rebuilding they are going to have to do. If they see Coutinho as a player they could possibly build a new team around they may well be prepared to pay a significant premium over what would otherwise be his value in the rest of the market. Whether that premium can be extracted will be determined by:-

1. How much Barcelona want him.
    2. What alternatives they can get for less money which they'd be prepared to go for. (There are always alternatives)
    3. Liverpools ability to negotiate and get 1-2 other mega rich clubs (Madrid, City etc) into a bidding process.

I hope he stays, at least for another 2-3 years to see if Klopp can deliver a PL. If by the start of the 2020 season Klopp hasn't worked his magic the likelihood is he'll walk and having just turned 28 I don't think anyone here would begrudge Coutinho the opportunity to go play for Barcelona (or any other non PL club) at that stage of his career. Wasn't Suarez 28 when he signed for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I reckon coutinho will stay one more season and then leave. With the world cup in 2018 and his place in the Brazilian national team looking secure it would be a bit of a risk him moving to barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Price is what you pay, value is what you get. "Warren Buffett"

His value to a Barcelona team may be higher than any other given the imminent change of manager and potential rebuilding they are going to have to do. If they see Coutinho as a player they could possibly build a new team around they may well be prepared to pay a significant premium over what would otherwise be his value in the rest of the market. Whether that premium can be extracted will be determined by:-

1. How much Barcelona want him.
    2. What alternatives they can get for less money which they'd be prepared to go for. (There are always alternatives)
    3. Liverpools ability to negotiate and get 1-2 other mega rich clubs (Madrid, City etc) into a bidding process.

I hope he stays, at least for another 2-3 years to see if Klopp can deliver a PL. If by the start of the 2020 season Klopp hasn't worked his magic the likelihood is he'll walk and having just turned 28 I don't think anyone here would begrudge Coutinho the opportunity to go play for Barcelona (or any other non PL club) at that stage of his career. Wasn't Suarez 28 when he signed for them?

I'm a fan of Coutinho but the idea that he's of the quality that Barcelona would build their side around is a little far-fetched.

I know you have if's and but's etc, but I think any rationale behind his potential worth that depends on this as a premise is fundamentally flawed.

Listen I am very much of the camp that we ask for 700 million and hope for the best price possible. But realistically if he wants to go (and if they come knocking he just might) then we aint getting close to 100 million. 50 imo (which is worth nothing) is his market value.

How much did Payet go for?? If Sanchez didnt only have a year on his contract how much would he be worth?? He scores way more than Phil.

100 million would be a world record fee. Do you think Phil is a world record fee player??

Lets be realistic. If Coutinho goes it will be because he wants to go. It will also mean his fee will be somewhere between 50-70 million. I think it will be at the lower end myself.

Well, I never said we'll get 100 million or that he's worth it, I just think we dont need to sell so it would need to be a silly offer for him to go. Coutinho is happy here (apparently) and signed a long deal. I think if the offer is 50-70M we'll reject it even if he wants to go IMO. Next season might be a different story though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

2nd in the form table, 13 points from 18
    Damn I would have taken that 6 games ago.

Utd are 4th with 12 from 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

He's likely going to replace Turan. I'd be asking for him as part of any deal TBH. He's wanted to join the cub several times in the past, though his form hasn't been great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sappy404 wrote: »
    He's likely going to replace Turan. I'd be asking for him as part of any deal TBH. He's wanted to join the cub several times in the past, though his form hasn't been great.

So you're selling Coutinho for a winger who's not quite good enough these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If £50m is a fair price for him, who could he be replaced with for £50m? Who with that ability, potential and track record is available to Liverpool at the price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm a fan of Coutinho but the idea that he's of the quality that Barcelona would build their side around is a little far-fetched.

I know you have if's and but's etc, but I think any rationale behind his potential worth that depends on this as a premise is fundamentally flawed.

Yes, fair enough. "Build team around" is probably too strong a term all right and more of a reflection of my own opinion of him than his objective value to Barcelona but having said that I do think he could be a players Barcelona would like to acquire with a view to him fulfilling his potential and becoming that level of Iniesta type player. Not the finished article yet by a long way but capable of getting there.

If an unfinished Pogba who looked great with world class players like Pirlo around him is worth £100m it's feasible Coutinho could command a price in the £65m to £75m range from a club like Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Scratch my above post. If there's nobody available of his ability for around £50m, that by definition means that selling him for £50m is underpricing him.

It may seem excessive when compared to what Ronaldo, Suarez, Bale, Zidane et al. cost but that's inflation in transfer fees for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

cjmc wrote: »
    The season was fookin brilliant who ever gets the credit for it . Reignited my 'love'of the club

This season I just want to end, for us to get over the line the way things stand right now so we keep what we hold and build next year.

That season, even when we were top, I didn't want the finish line to come. I just wanted us to keep playing like that every week.

What we really need now is constant leaks in the press over the next couple of months that Barca and Madrid and Bayern who will be having a rebuild in the summer all want Kane, Alli & Erickson and they are also looking at Pochettino as well.

Well it looks like Lacazette won't being coming in the summer.

Looks like he's off to Atletico as Griezmann replacement.

Damm Atletico really do know how to sign a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Aye. I don't even see him really as a player that Liverpool could/should build a team around, let alone Barcelona tbh.

Well it looks like Lacazette won't being coming in the summer.

Looks like he's off to Atletico as Griezmann replacement.

Damm Atletico really do know how to sign a striker.

It's some chain alright over the past decade or so;
    Torres > Aguero > Falcao > Costa > Griezmann

You'd fancy Lacazette to continue that run too.

Hard to believe Coutinho has been with us almost 4 and a half seasons now.
    If we don't get CL I dunno would he fancy staying.

If he wants to play #10 as opposed to wing forward CL football with us would probably keep him happy. I reckon Mane is more important to us than Coutinho ......... if one of them were to leave in the next season or so I'd prefer it to be Coutinho tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

~Rebel~ wrote:
    It's some chain alright over the past decade or so; Torres > Aguero > Falcao > Costa > Griezmann

We'll forget that Jackson Martinez one happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Interesting stats (although hardly conclusive):

dmOH7H0.jpg

It doesn't look like we're signing another GK and that doesn't bother me too much.

Defensive issues are tactics -> CB partnership -> quality of outfiled personnel -> aggregate height and aerial ability of squad -> GK
    in that order, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If ever a bunch of stats were thrown together to try and put a positive spin on something...

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If ever a bunch of stats were thrown together to try and put a positive spin on something...

Well they're the things he's been criticised the most for.

Maybe that and his kicking, which is still ****e.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »

dmOH7H0.jpg

It doesn't look like we're signing another GK and that doesn't bother me too much.

It's interesting... the keeper training we apparently adopted specifically to help Karius command his box appears to have actually benefitted Mignolet far more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's interesting... the keeper training we apparently adopted specifically to help Karius command his box appears to have actually benefitted Mignolet far more.

Obviously Mig has been draining Karius, like a vampire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

corwill wrote: »
    Obviously Mig has been draining Karius, like a vampire.

A Migcubus you could say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    A Migcubus you could say.

There's a hape of thanks going cheap for a Photoshop of this, I'd say.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I thought the GK coach was the problem though?
    Haven't heard that one in a while now admittedly.

corwill wrote: »
    There's a hape of thanks going cheap for a Photoshop of this, I'd say.

Use your imagination and thank my post.

Done on phone so be happy

Gbear wrote: »

dmOH7H0.jpg

Defensive issues are tactics -> CB partnership -> quality of outfiled personnel -> aggregate height and aerial ability of squad -> GK
    in that order, IMO.

The stats certainly backup the Aerial side of his game but I'd be interested to see what the minutes per error actually is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Done on phone so be happy
    Prefer Knex Adam Llama, tbh. :pac:

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    The stats certainly backup the Aerial side of his game but I'd be interested to see what the minutes per error actually is.....

Yeah, you could define that anyway you like, and it probably doesn't account for errors that don't lead to goals and certainly wouldn't count errors that can never be spotted, like positioning, where it'd be an error but 15 seconds beforehand the defenders mopped it up.

Take the David Luiz goal at Anfield.

Was it an error? He was out of position and caught on his heels, but it probably made no difference to the outcome of the shot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement