Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The only error i can remember him making was the first goal against hull away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

ricero wrote: »
    The only error i can remember him making was the first goal against hull away

Free kick against Chelsea too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gbear wrote: »
    Was it an error? He was out of position and caught on his heels, but it probably made no difference to the outcome of the shot.

I dunno about that... I think a decent keeper, in the right spot, that was actually paying attention has a bloody good chance of saving that. It was absolutely perfectly placed, but shot from a good distance out, and not exactly smashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dunno about that... I think a decent keeper, in the right spot, that was actually paying attention has a bloody good chance of saving that. It was absolutely perfectly placed, but shot from a good distance out, and not exactly smashed.

I doubt he would even had tried to shoot had Mig been on his line. The chance only came about because Mig was out of position and Luiz seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We sold Suarez cheap, i hope we won't make the same mistake with Coutinho.

If we get CL, i'd say he'll give us one more year.

Well, we kinda had no choice with Suarez. That said, more money would not neccesarily have meant amything diffetent.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Gbear wrote: »
    Yeah, you could define that anyway you like, and it probably doesn't account for errors that don't lead to goals and certainly wouldn't count errors that can never be spotted, like positioning, where it'd be an error but 15 seconds beforehand the defenders mopped it up.

Take the David Luiz goal at Anfield.

Was it an error? He was out of position and caught on his heels, but it probably made no difference to the outcome of the shot.

Twas a brain fart. Eye on the ball and sort your wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Prefer Knex Adam Llama, tbh. :pac:

You were always my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

England 17s played Norway this afternoon Rhian Brewster scored twice in a 3-1 victory, on the other side was the Norwegian Messi - Edvard Sandvik Tagseth who came on in the second half. Apparently the deal he has with Liverpool is that he has been a once a month visitor to Melwood etc until this summer when he joins full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If £50m is a fair price for him, who could he be replaced with for £50m? Who with that ability, potential and track record is available to Liverpool at the price?

Not that I'm advocating a coutinho sale but tbf we did get coutinho himself for only 8.5mill when that was peanuts, not to mention suarez for a relatively low fee at the time, so I'm sure there is another one around somewhere, it's just a matter of finding him and that's what the scouting department is for. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I get the feeling a lot here are over rating coutinho, if we where offered 50m I would take it and run. He is not exactly a goal machine like torres and suarez were. Im sure there are plenty of talent out thete we could get for 50m to improve the team in other areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Kolido wrote: »
    I get the feeling a lot here are over rating coutinho, if we where offered 50m I would take it and run. He is not exactly a goal machine like torres and suarez were. Im sure there are plenty of talent out thete we could get for 50m to improve the team in other areas.

Usually when we cash in we make a bollox of it but I tend to agree about Coutinho. In terms of consistency, losing him wouldn't be the disaster it was losing Suarez, or begin to mirror the effect Torres and Gerrard diminishing in power had.

I love Phil but I think he's reach his ceiling with us. He probably needs that big move to make the next step in his development.

Kolido wrote: »
    Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Usually when we cash in we make a bollox of it but I tend to agree about Coutinho. In terms of consistency, losing him wouldn't be the disaster it was losing Suarez, or begin to mirror the effect Torres and Gerrard diminishing in power had.

I love Phil but I think he's reach his ceiling with us. He probably needs that big move to make the next step in his development.

He is a tad overrated no doubt, also a tad inconsistent .......... still, a goal every 3 games in the PL for the last 2 seasons is decent.

I'd expect to get over £50m though to be fair....... with Lallana, Mane and Firmino about Coutinho leaving shouldn't be overly traumatic to LFC I feel. He's not CL proven either of course and I'm not sure did he really make much of an impact in the EL games last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's a matter of principle to me. I want to see us holding on to our star players, full stop. It's not like FSG have to sell him for financial reasons or anything like that, they can well afford to hold onto him. If he really wants to go, let him go, but everything should be done to convince him not to go down that route. I'd only want to see him replaced with a proven and high quality player, and that isn't our way of doing things unfortunately, unless plans are changing.

I think this summer will be a real litmus test with regards to the ambitions of the club, and whether or not they have learned from previous windows. With or without CL football.

I'll certainly be interesting, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Augeo wrote: »
    I thought the GK coach was the problem though?
    Haven't heard that one in a while now admittedly.

Don't worry. People will be calling for Achterberg's head as soon as Mignolet drops another clanger, pointing to Karius' disasters as well.

Personally I think we should actually spend some money on a decent goalkeeper (more than £4m this time) and shift Mignolet while his stock is high. That's if he makes it to the window without throwing one in.

I thought it laughable how Achterberg was deemed anyway responsible for Karius being seemingly sh1t.

I actually can't get over the difference/improvement in Mignolet (touch wood -oooh matrone).

Genuinely though, there has been a noticeable difference in his command of his area, dealing with high balls and crosses, communication, and even his kicking.

A few games ago, maybe the West Brom or Stoke game, he was coming out for crosses and largely punching them clear, and to great effect. He improved on this more, and actually started catching all of these in the past game or two. His kicks also now go discernibly further than they did even a month or two ago. And he's genuinely just playing with a lot more confidence.

I hope now that when he does have a mistake again (as is inevitable for all goalkeepers) that we don't see a dip in this confidence and the authority that he's playing with, as that's what has happened to him in the past. Periods of good form, then a mistake sets the whole thing crumbling for a few weeks. Lovren actually does this a lot too, for whatever reason.

Anyway, whoever has been putting through the extra work with the goalkeepers deserves a lot of credit, as too does Mignolet, obviously.

What the hell is going on, Coutinho not scoring enough goals to be worth keeping? He's scored 11 this season despite missing several games and he isn't a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Knex. wrote: »
    I actually can't get over the difference/improvement in Mignolet (touch wood -oooh matrone).

Genuinely though, there has been a noticeable difference in his command of his area, dealing with high balls and crosses, communication, and even his kicking.

A few games ago, maybe the West Brom or Stoke game, he was coming out for crosses and largely punching them clear, and to great effect. He improved on this more, and actually started catching all of these in the past game or two. His kicks also now go discernibly further than they did even a month or two ago. And he's genuinely just playing with a lot more confidence.

I hope now that when he does have a mistake again (as is inevitable for all goalkeepers) that we don't see a dip in this confidence and the authority that he's playing with, as that's what has happened to him in the past. Periods of good form, then a mistake sets the whole thing crumbling for a few weeks. Lovren actually does this a lot too, for whatever reason.

Anyway, whoever has been putting through the extra work with the goalkeepers deserves a lot of credit, as too does Mignolet, obviously.

I've been very impressed with him of late. I'd have been one to have called for his head on a block in the past but credit where its due. Fingers crossed he keeps it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

50m for Phil, what are they smoking in Barca? :pac:

He's a match winner, before he got injured he looked genuinely world class, I never saw him play at that level before for us. I watched him at Selhurst park earlier this season and I honestly thought I was watching Iniesta in his prime. 50m gets you John Stones ffs, as far as I'm concerned United have set the market price with their purchase of Pogba. but he is priceless to us, I don't want to see any of our star players sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

It's fantastic to see the first signs of improvement in a keeper at the club in over a decade. Whatever the reasons, long may it continue, hopefully it's not a temporary blip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I like Coutinho and would be sad to see him leave, but I do feel a lot of Pool fans overrate him.

He's not as good or important to our play as Lallana or Mane, for example.

If we lost him in the summer, I'd be disappointed and it wouldn't be what I'd want to see, but I'd be more confident of being able to plug that gap than if we lost Lallana or Mane.

However, we hold all the cards in this situation. We don't want to sell, he is under a long-term, recently-signed contract and his stock is growing.

While I feel like he's not going to make as big an impact as the likes of, say, Sanchez who will move for €50-70m this summer, I still feel we are selling ourselves short if he's not in that bracket and, hopefully, at the higher end of it.

TBH, I don't expect him to go, though CL football is important there. I know people will cite Suarez but that was a different situation - further on in his career, far better player, had already tried to leave once... I'd be surprised if we didn't get another season out of Coutinho at a minimum.

Wouldn't like to see Coutinho go.

It wouldn't be like a Suarez loss but losing your best players every couple of seasons is a sure way to become Arsenal Mark II.

Keep them, add more quality and aim for the title next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I think any player is sellable for the right price but in fairness to Phil before his injury he was neck and neck with Mane (and Lallana probably) for our best player of the season (first half) and because of that is only getting back to his best just now really. If we could have has an injury free season like 13/14 I think we'd be still in for a shout of the title right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Any-word on Phils fitness for Sunday

Even though I don't think Coutinho is consistent enough, or played in a position whereby we could 'build the team around him', at the end of the day, he's one of our better players, and we are in no position to be selling our best players, really.

We need to be making a statement to Europe's elite - we want to compete. Join us if you want to work with a great manager and challenge for trophies. We're still a bit away from that, and selling Coutinho, regardless of the transfer fee, would harm the growth of that image.

Get top 4, add a few players like van Dijk, Brandt etc, and we'll start to turn heads like we did back when the likes of Torres, Alonso and co actually considered Liverpool a viable place to come to and be in the mix for silverware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What the hell is going on, Coutinho not scoring enough goals to be worth keeping? He's scored 11 this season despite missing several games and he isn't a striker.

Strange alright, while losing him wouldn't be as bad as it would have been last summer or the summer before he'd still be a big loss. Seems to be underrated by just as many people as he's supposedly overrated by.

Would like to see him get a solid season which doesn't see him or half the team injured. The play between the front players early in the season was unreal. He's still the main player we have that's capable of producing that moment of magic out of nothing.

Another downside to losing him would be the main man getting itchy feet...the two of them seem really close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Find it strange that people would not find Coutinho a big loss whilst we missed him when he was out injured and nobody would drop him when available.

People seemed to forget how his goals have won games for us this season.

Would hate to see him go but FSG will probably allow it to happen as it fits their model.

In fairness to Coutinho he seems quite happy at the club and not talked about moves so it could just be paper talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rodgers getting carried away again.

I think he is a very good coach but he really needs to stop talking at times.

C_DoYZlXsAAlnx8.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rodgers getting carried away again.

I think he is a very good coach but he really needs to stop talking at times.

C_DoYZlXsAAlnx8.jpg:large

Don't see too much wrong with that to be fair

The scrutiny some people put on Rodgers is a little daft, especially now that he's not even at the club anymore. Let him off. He gave his all for the club, it didn't work out, but he at least understood the club and the culture around Liverpool.

Sure he can be a bit Brentish at times in the way he speaks, but I have nothing but respect for him. I hope he has a successful career.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Don't see too much wrong with that to be fair

Indeed.... no one at Celtic or the SPL would be bothered by anything he said.
    I think it's good to see him say he's improved as a manager too....due to being up there.

Nice lad is Brendan IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The scrutiny some people put on Rodgers is a little daft, especially now that he's not even at the club anymore. Let him off. He gave his all for the club, it didn't work out, but he at least understood the club and the culture around Liverpool.

Sure he can be a bit Brentish at times in the way he speaks, but I have nothing but respect for him. I hope he has a successful career.

I think he is a very good manager.

Done a decent job at Liverpool but I think he is forgetting that the SPL is not far off League One level.

Celtic did improve in Europe as well so he does deserve credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I can't stand him. I dunno what it is but there is something up with him.

........ the SPL is not far off League One level............

Well he can't really say that or anything along those lines really, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He should probably do a stint in the LoI then make the step up to Brenfer League to reach Ultimate manager level.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He should probably do a stint in the LoI...........

Well with the SPL he gets CL opportunities :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can hear them coming over the hill...

Celts.png

Liverpool plan to expand Anfield beyond 60,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/04/liverpool-plan-expand-anfield-beyond-60000/

Not sure what they beyond signifies. 60,001?

• Advertisement

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/04/liverpool-plan-expand-anfield-beyond-60000/

Emirates Stadium, Capacity 60,432

Needs to be 60433

The pitch is going to be relayed this summer, presumably it'll be a proper job this time (that said it seems to have held up well this season)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I think he is a very good manager.

Done a decent job at Liverpool but I think he is forgetting that the SPL is not far off League One level.

Celtic did improve in Europe as well so he does deserve credit.

That's true, but I think his point is that he himself has improved as a result of the different type of challenge, rather than the standard of the league.

Of course it's a far easier league than the Premier League, but in facing a doggedly determined Dundee one week where his side will absolutely dominate to facing Barca or Man City the following week is a difficult challenge, in that the side need to be capable of two entirely different ways of approaching games.

Another point is that with the league won, he can approach games and set the side up differently to trial different systems, knowing that if it doesn't work, he can revert and probably win anyway. It's undoubtedly beneficial to him to have the leeway to be able to do that.

I would say his ability to develop as a manager is somewhat limited at Celtic though, unless he can either progress from the group stage of the CL or qualify for the Europa via the CL. He was desperately unlucky this season with the group stage draw

It'll be interesting to see where he goes next. I'm sure his ambitions extend beyond Celtic given the riches of the Premier League and lack of challenge in Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

brevity wrote: »

All the managers and players up here are amazing and make things so difficult for us with their character but I'm better and have like a 98.7% win rate. Look at me, I'm great so I am.

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    All the managers and players up here are amazing and make things so difficult for us with their character but I'm better and have like a 98.7% win rate. Look at me, I'm great so I am.

Reminds me of Chelsea fans with Rafa. No matter what he did or said, there were some who wouldn't give him the time of day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm not sure why you've put me in that bracket.

Needs to be 60433

The pitch is going to be relayed this summer, presumably it'll be a proper job this time (that said it seems to have held up well this season)

Emirates +1

Lol

I'm not sure why you've put me in that bracket.

I assumed you were a Liverpool fan??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would be a bit surprised to see this go ahead - at least if the intention is for it to make money.

Would love to see the club actively take a hit on it, and simply do it to get more locals into the ground, though that's terribly unlikely.

But it's only really going to generate an extra 5 or so million a year (presuming they're mostly normal tickets, rather than corporate, as behind the goal isn't usually corporate territory). And the extra cost of infrastructure for road/rail would be huge.

With a bit of luck, the club and city can work together to make it happen for the benefit of the city and local area, rather than for profit. TV money has gone so nuts that frankly, they can afford it, and now's the time to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Balague say Barca have no interest in Coutinho.

So long and farewell goodbye Philippe and thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Balague say Barca have no interest in Coutinho.

So long and farewell goodbye Philippe and thanks for the memories.

Just need Graham Hunter to definitively rule it out, and we can commence the group cry.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement