Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

A draw in the next match is essential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I want Lovren killed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Failing to score again v Southampton, can't even score a pen v them.

Got what we deserved.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Failing to score again v Southampton, can't even score a pen v them.

Got what we deserved.

Theres absolutely no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Klopp can feck off with waiting around for subs, was clear at half time we needed changes left it for 20 minutes again to make the changes. Think sturridge earned himself starts in the next 2 games anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Dont deserve top 4 place if this is as good as it gets. Need to start winning these type of games before we even think about Europe. Worst thing is next season we will have the dreaded Thursday evening games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

noodler wrote: »
    I want Lovren killed.

Why? He was alright today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Not enough tools in this squad to get the job done today. Needs to be addressed in the summer. We only have one winger in mane.

Point better than a loss as i really feared the sucker punch. Didn't think we would win all 3 of our remaining games anyway

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Why? He was alright today

Heart attacks in the last ten.

• Advertisement

Decent urgency once Lallana and Sturridge came on........ they didn't have enough time on the pitch unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Sturridge looks sharp anyway, that's about the only positive from today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Really need a draw in the next game. Or at a push a Arsenal win. United win and they'll probably go and win at Spurs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We had enough to win, it just spent most of the game on the bench. When Sturridge and Lallana came on we were a different team, unfortunately we only got 20 minutes of it. The two of them should have been starting, and they better be starting next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Well I won't be watching any Liverpool V Southampton games next season anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can't believe I'm saying this but Sturridge looked our most dangerous player throughout the whole match, even though he only played the last 20. Despite the lack of sprinting, the couple of miscontrols and general doziness he was still our best player, which says a lot about our performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

How we are on 70 is beyond me the way we've performed since January. For the sake of the performances in the 1st half of the season I hope we make it. Turgid listless stuff in attack currently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote: »
    Not enough tools in this squad to get the job done today. Needs to be addressed in the summer. We only have one winger in mane.

Point better than a loss as i really feared the sucker punch. Didn't think we would win all 3 of our remaining games anyway

I think we'll beat Boro but West Ham could beat us handily. Was surprised at the team selection & dumbfounded at how long it took Klopp to make changes. No wonder he wears glasses. Same players letting us down with inconsistent performances. United & City have had pretty poor seasons but could still finish above us as we have failed when the opportunity is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sturridge looks sharp anyway, that's about the only positive from today.

Still looks like Sturridge unfortunately. Showcased when he had the ball on the edge of their area with Clyne (??) overlapping and rather than pass it decided to flail his leg around until the ball was taken off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I see us dropping more points against West ham next week and then arsenal getting 4th. utterly depressing we have been brutal since Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Vicxas wrote: »
    A draw in the next match is essential

Surely an arsenal win is the best result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

That match sums up the premiership really. Low on quality and high on well paid players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Klopp needs to go back to coaching school because he has rightly ****ed things up since xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Shouldn't be any over reactions I don't think - a draw is not a horrible result and we're still in a strong position.

Yes a win would have been nice, but you'd swear we'd blown it for good today the way the commentators were talking about how crucial a win was.

I genuinely think 74 points (a win and a draw in our remaining games) is somewhere around 80-90% to get us top 4. Of course it would be nicer to have it more in our hands, but some people are already giving Arsenal and United the points - they have been just as inconsistent as us this season. Untied need to go away to Spurs as well, the hardest match of the League season probably.

It's still a very strong position and I am still confident we get over the line.

3rd unfortunately is probably out of reach however.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Klopp needs to go back to coaching school because he has rightly ****ed things up since xmas

coaching school? oh you really told him there.

Henry doesn't come across as the brightest.

Third last game of the season and he reckons Southampton have given teams a blueprint to play against us. The exact blueprint teams have been using since Christmas.

Draw for me by a mile. Neither teams making ground on us and another fixtures ticked off the list would be a silver lining to today.

Might even prefer a United win to an Arsenal win to be honest. Banking on Spurs to beat United in the following match.

All Arsenal's remaining games are very winnable and they have less distractions. And an uncanny knack for always finishing 4th no matter what!

Origi plays on a different wavelength to the rest of the team, he's been nothing but a wall between Coutinho and Firmino recently, no such thing as a fluid front 3 with him in the team either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Eye bleeding stuff, that.

Have to make changes for the next game. Origi has been offering absolutely nothing in the last few games. I'd like to see Sturridge and Lallana starting against West Ham.

Without wanting to overreact, im very nervous about the top 4 now. I just don't see us winning both the last two games with the way we have played recently so it's all reliant on other teams dropping points. It's not a good way to be.

We made a right mess of this. Silly points dropped throughout the season - 2 points from three home games against Bournemouth, Southampton and Palace is ****ing dreadful. And that's before we even add in Swansea, Hull, etc.

It's so frustrating - literally one win in those games and we're set by now. But no...

Origi plays on a different wavelength to the rest of the team, he's been nothing but a wall between Coutinho and Firmino recently, no such thing as a fluid front 3 with him in the team either.

Yeah I agree. I like him as a player but he's been poor.

DOesn't move enough for me. Needs to drag some players around, pick up some space. Maybe Klopp has told him to stay in the box as a target but he seems easy to defend and is not presenting himself as a target at the moment.

Sturridge showed signs of brightness when he came on. Maybe Origi for a tough physical game against West Hame, but I'd like to see Sturridge against Boro at home to help break them down

I fear Spurs will be not overly interested, they'll get 2nd whichever way that game goes......... last game at WHL might work against them if anything.

Utd have a decent team out today despite all their injuries and I reckon they'll beat Arsenal, who have been much the last 2 months +

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Third last game of the season and he reckons Southampton have given teams a blueprint to play against us. The exact blueprint teams have been using since Christmas.

Yet Klopp still hasn't noticed or reacted to it. It's like sad re runs watching us the last few months. Even the wins at West Brom, Watford & Stoke have been unconvincing.

No, a draw would put arsenal out of it even if we lost to west ham which is likely let's be honest. United still have spurs and Southampton away.

draw would be as you were before kick off today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm now very doubtful of a CL place it's almost like Klopp is trying to avoid 4th place by finishing 5th or 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

We had enough to win, it just spent most of the game on the bench. When Sturridge and Lallana came on we were a different team, unfortunately we only got 20 minutes of it. The two of them should have been starting, and they better be starting next week.

Can't believe we started with Lucas in a home game we had to win against a team who were always going to sit back and be happy to keep a clean sheet especially when Matip and Lovren were starting and both Lallana and Sturridge were fit enough to be on the bench.

At a minimum one of them should have started, probably Lallana and then Sturridge on for Origi if needs be or at 60 minutes so he gets some match sharpness and is available to start the last two games.

I'm a massive fan of Klopp but I just can't see why he felt he needed to start Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's like no one wants champions league football, we are all as bad as each other .
    City win yesterday, if they didn't it would have been 2 wins in 9, now its 3, hardly good form though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Still looks like Sturridge unfortunately. Showcased when he had the ball on the edge of their area with Clyne (??) overlapping and rather than pass it decided to flail his leg around until the ball was taken off him.

Whats the alternative? Origi? Unbelievable that Klopp started with him after last weeks performance.

Said before the Palace game that we'd probably need 10 points from our final 5 games to get top 4, win our last 2 games and we'll have gotten that. There's no room for any more mistakes but needing to beat West Ham and Middlesbrough shouldn't be too tough a task.

Thing we need to remind ourselves - we're challenging for 4th, not the league.

It seems that pundits and fans' expectations of ourselves and our rivals are out of whack - it's like all teams are challenging for the league the points tallies that are being expected, the way a couple of dropped points are represented.

When you're Chelsea or Spurs then yes, not winning is huge. You need to consistently win to win a league and dropped points are rightly presented as crucial turning points. We're just going for 4th at the moment and our recent form has been fine for that.

We're going to finish on at least 70 points - likely 72, 73, 74 or even 76. That is easily good enough to qualify for the CL generally speaking, yet some would have you believe that we'll be lucky and undeserved to sneak in if we do.

United or Arsenal aren't challenging for the league either and have pretty much never shown any league-wininng form all season - yet we all seem to be expecting them to put together these results now all of a sudden.

If you had offered me 4 points from Watford and Soton I would've taken it - it's top 4 form for me. It's solid and it's fine. That's what we got and what we need. Par for me.

If you had offered me 10 points from Stoke away, WBA away, Palace home, Watford away, Soton home, again I would have taken it. Again, about par for me.

2ppg gets you top 4. That's what we've been grinding out.

And it will get us there bar a sudden extreme turn in fortunes for United or Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's strange. We've two games left and we're third in the table. Sounds like we've had a good season, but it seems like it could be about to go tits up.

We're totally out of steam.

• Advertisement

Morzadec wrote: »
    Thing we need to remind ourselves - we're challenging for 4th, not the league.

It seems that pundits and fans' expectations of ourselves and our rivals are out of whack - it's like all teams are challenging for the league the points tallies that are being expected, the way a couple of dropped points are represented.

When you're Chelsea or Spurs then yes, not winning is huge. You need to consistently win to win a league and dropped points are rightly presented as crucial turning points. We're just going for 4th at the moment and our recent form has been fine for that.

We're going to finish on at least 70 points - likely 72, 73, 74 or even 76. That is easily good enough to qualify for the CL generally speaking, yet some would have you believe that we'll be lucky and undeserved to sneak in if we do.

United or Arsenal aren't challenging for the league either and have pretty much never shown any league-wininng form all season - yet we all seem to be expecting them to put together these results now all of a sudden.

If you had offered me 4 points from Watford and Soton I would've taken it - it's top 4 form for me. It's solid and it's fine. That's what we got and what we need. Par for me.

If you had offered me 10 points from Stoke away, WBA away, Palace home, Watford away, Soton home, again I would have taken it. Again, about par for me.

2ppg gets you top 4. That's what we've been grinding out.

And it will get us there bar a sudden extreme turn in fortunes for United or Arsenal.

Cherrypick away!

Would you have settled for 2 points from Bournemouth, Palace and Southampton at home?

I fully expect us to lose to West ham.

Praying for the draw here.

Whats the alternative? Origi? Unbelievable that Klopp started with him after last weeks performance.

Origi's in a poor run of form alright, and as Osmosis said he's really making the frontline static. Obviously Mane would be the alternative with Origi off the bench but with him out its much of muchness between him and Sturridge despite Sturridge looking sharp for 20 minutes.

And going that route I find it unbelievable that Klopp would consider Sturridge an option after his 'performance' against Burnley earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not good enough. We continue to try the same things with these types of teams. Could have got out of jail with the peno but didn't deserve the 3 points anyway. Back to relying on other teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

was anyone else expecting a Southampton sucker punch goal ?

Shocked we didn't end up losing it

............. I find it unbelievable that Klopp would consider Sturridge an option after his 'performance' against Burnley earlier in the season.

Going off that logic Bobby wouldn't be considered a option on recent "performances"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think we'll get over the line as I don't think Utd are good enough to win all their remaining games but I don't like how we're playing at the moment.

Definite lack of confidence in the side, first half of the season we were blowing teams out of the water and now we're just barely winning or struggling.

I think Klopp knows he hasn't got the players to break down tough defences, will be interesting to see what he does in the summer.

Don't forget that we're already 10 points better than last season so improvement is there.

• Advertisement

Cherrypick away!

Would you have settled for 2 points from Bournemouth, Palace and Southampton at home?

I fully expect us to lose to West ham.

Praying for the draw here.

How am I cherry picking? I took our last 5 games - the most common way of appraising form.

We can go back a bit further if you want, include B'mouth and Everton - again it's pretty much fine, 14 points, 2ppg.

All the dropped points in this run seemed like a disaster when they happened - my point is that when you are only challenging for top 4 and not the league this type of decent (if unspectacular) form with a few dropped points here and there, but importantly enough regular wins to keep you ticking over, is enough.

And I think it will continue to be enough if we can get another solid / decent 4 points from the last two games

Origi's in a poor run of form alright, and as Osmosis said he's really making the frontline static. Obviously Mane would be the alternative with Origi off the bench but with him out its much of muchness between him and Sturridge despite Sturridge looking sharp for 20 minutes.

And going that route I find it unbelievable that Klopp would consider Sturridge an option after his 'performance' against Burnley earlier in the season.

Do you have something again s Sturridge?

You've had a few Bizarre posts today which seem to ignore the last three games completely.

ricero wrote: »
    was anyone else expecting a Southampton sucker punch goal ?

Shocked we didn't end up losing it

I think that's what makes these performances so infuriating...we can spend 89 minutes bluntly passing it around their box yet they can carve out a great chance with their one chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Milner & Clyne offer nothing either in attack they are meant to be the width to the attack yet neither offer it and both have been awful with crossing a ball this season.

When it comes to the defence they really don't offer anything either as they are so far up the pitch really doing nothing and we get exposed on the flanks leaving the CB's to much space to cover.

This needs to be addressed in the summer.

Do you have something again s Sturridge?

You've had a few Bizarre posts today which seem to ignore the last three games completely.

Does a bear...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement