Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I don't think Mane, Matip or Wijnaldum were unproven talent, he signed three proven internationals in their mid 20's.

Being an international doesn't automatically make you a proven player, not if it's Cameroon and Senegal!!

I recall lot's of comments on here that Mane was too hot and cold and didn't perform consistently, Matip was unproven because of his age and the team he played for and Wijnaldum blew hot and cold at Championship level for Newcastle but wasn't a PL level player.

The fact they have all proven to be good signings doesn't alter the fact that at the time they were signed they were all for one reason or another considered to be far from "proven".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Being an international doesn't automatically make you a proven player, not if it's Cameroon and Senegal!!

I recall lot's of comments on here that Mane was too hot and cold and didn't perform consistently, Matip was unproven because of his age and the team he played for and Wijnaldum blew hot and cold at Championship level for Newcastle but wasn't a PL level player.

The fact they have all proven to be good signings doesn't alter the fact that at the time they were signed they were all for one reason or another considered to be far from "proven".

Small thing, but Wijnaldum played in the PL for Newcastle. Was their top goalscorer the year they got relegated.

I also would have been happy if we had signed him straight from from PSV.

Klopps signings have arguably had the biggest impact on our season, so I do hope he gets the backing, and luck goes our way, in allowing him to sign a few first team players this summer. Three more starters of similar impact and quality would massively improve us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I just hope we go for quality over quantity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

benny79 wrote: »
    I just hope we go for quality over quantity!

I think we need a quantity of quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

we cant keep doing things they way we have been for the last 25 years,it obviously does not work. if they do the same again ..i.e dont buy enough very very good players and just buy one with some average ones then we will be having the same conversation nxt season. city will buy 3 -4 quality players,utd the same, add chelsea, we have to match the quality they buy,talent wise if not price wise,just to stay with them. if we just sign one or two quality players it wont be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Douglas Costa & Lucas Moura would be great signings one left and one right winger both with about a ?30m price tag on them.

Add those two to Mane, Firmino, Coutinho & Lallana and we would have a very impressive front 6 to pick from

Looking for a striker then I would be looking for one in the later part of their career that would be happy to be on the bench and used as the plan B as the above 6 would be the main attacking team.

I don't see a specialized DM being bought even though i would to see one signed I think with will be another player like Can a box to box midfielder who has size and strength.

A monster CB needs to signed.

I don't see Clyne being dropped or replaced next season.

If they can get Sessegnon from Fulham that the LB signed with Milner starting the season and Sessegnon being readied as his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

we cant keep doing things they way we have been for the last 25 years,it obviously does not work. if they do the same again ..i.e dont buy enough very very good players and just buy one with some average ones then we will be having the same conversation nxt season. city will buy 3 -4 quality players,utd the same, add chelsea, we have to match the quality they buy,talent wise if not price wise,just to stay with them. if we just sign one or two quality players it wont be enough.

That makes it sound like an exact science when the reality is you could spend close to 100 million on a player of supposed quality and they end up being sh!te.

The manager has a vision and idea of the type of players he needs to make it work. Transfers last summer have shown this and have there's no reason to think this summer will be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

few cheeky bids this summer coming I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Academy news

Rhian Brewster scored again in the Euro U17s in a 4-0 route of Ukraine. At international level he is now 12 goals in 11 starts which is terrific.

The U23s play a dead rubber in the final game of the season but as it's against Everton there should be some edge, and some cheeky chants around Goodison Park no doubt as the Toffees are already U23 champions. The home side are 8 points ahead while a win for Liverpool will leave them 3rd below Man City. The game is on LFCtv.

Liverpool u23s team against Everton: Grabara, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Phillips, Randall, Virtue, Wilson, Ejaria, Ojo, Grujic, Woodburn

(as an aside Man Utd's bedraggled side are safe only due to a much better (but still minus) goal difference than Reading who play Sunderland tonight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NukaCola wrote: »
    He only played 7 minutes against Watford, coming on fresh in the 83 minute though. I agree with the merits of starting him dont get me wrong, I just dont know if he could unlock the defence's we've faced over the 60+ minutes we'd need. West Ham will probably play a bit and if thats the case it'll suit Danny. He's very good with a bit of space, and with Origi form gone I think he's a starter, I just question how match fit he'd be. Probably be fine.

He certainly used to be... I don't think he is anymore though. Even with looking sharp yesterday, he was still outpaced to a loose ball by a CB.

At this stage, for a game with space behind, I'd rather Origi - that's where he thrives. For a tight game with little space, where quick feet in a small area can be the breakthrough, i'd rather Danny. It's those quick little movements yesterday, and last week, that justify his start imo - but what we really need, is a striker that can do what he used to do.

Quick feet in a tight area, and pace when it opens up. City did so well snapping up Gabriel Jesus, exactly the skillset we should be looking for. Comes at a price though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That makes it sound like an exact science when the reality is you could spend close to 100 million on a player of supposed quality and they end up being sh!te.

The manager has a vision and idea of the type of players he needs to make it work. Transfers last summer have shown this and have there's no reason to think this summer will be different.

Not exact but it's what the others do,we have to match and better it to become better,unless we have some world class coaches, which I don't think we do

OJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (Harry Wilson with a brilliant assist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

OJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (Harry Wilson with a brilliant assist)

Glad to hear Sheyi is still alive. Bit disappointed that we didn't see more of him with the senior squad, I have the impression be blotted his copy book with Klopp, for some reason.

corwill wrote: »
    Glad to hear Sheyi is still alive. Bit disappointed that we didn't see more of him with the senior squad, I have the impression be blotted his copy book with Klopp, for some reason.

With Brewster away he's playing as the No 9 tonight, doing well. Grujic and Wilson are a class above the rest so far. As for Klopp there seems to be a feeling that Sheyi coasts through games a bit, which is somewhat harsh as he's been injured for much of the season and has scored 8 goals now but I know why it's something said - he seems to find it a bit too easy at times and as winger doesn't need to have the kind of "all action" game as say Wilson playing as the No 10. He can cover the ground effortlessly.

Harry Wilson nearly makes it two, the 2nd half has been bitty but Wilson was terrific as he beat his defender and fired just wide.

edit - Grujic with a perfect pass to set TAA free and he buries it 2-0

Wilsons' tekkers really is impressive - the way he judges a ball on the half-turn creates so much space for him to exploit with his turn of pace.

Stream gone to hell, no more updates :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

corwill wrote: »

Ojo looks like a lad who plays half arsed. He is talented and he knows it, therefore he will only do what he needs to do, will never go above and beyond.

And his talent is not enough to have him stand out in senior football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

edit - Grujic with a perfect pass to set TAA free and he buries it 2-0

Just watched that pass and goal and what struck me more than anything was the size of Grujic he was a giant compared to everyone on the pitch around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just watching Middlesbrough get hammered here and imagining how much stick we'll get when they cost us a place in the Champions League in two weeks time. It's inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just watching Middlesbrough get hammered here and imagining how much stick we'll get when they cost us a place in the Champions League in two weeks time. It's inevitable.

We can beat Boro and still miss out. Even a draw against West Ham and a win over Boro might see us overhauled yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Blanco100 wrote: »
    We can beat Boro and still miss out. Even a draw against West Ham and a win over Boro might see us overhauled yet.

Possible all right but I actually think four points might just see us over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal will have played twice anyway before the west ham so we will know what we need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

martyos121 wrote: »

Not too worried about Middlesborough to be honest. They are pretty awful. Even compared to Palace and Southampton. If we mess it up from now it will be at West Ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I think this is the TAA goal with a comparison with another

https://twitter.com/MrBoywunder/status/861677380166975493

I think this is the TAA goal with a comparison with another

https://twitter.com/MrBoywunder/status/861677380166975493

Have to tell TAA to leap next time. Clyne needs to watch that too.

Have to tell TAA to leap next time. Clyne needs to watch that too.

Where has TAA been playing for the U23's actually? CM, wing, or full back?

Full back. Had a good game overall, he is so fast that he can be attacking and defending almost simultaneously :pac:

At one point he just seemed to appear from thin air as an emergency right back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Few on here were recommending Adama Traore as a potential signing in the summer a few weeks ago I think.

He was absolute ****e tonight. Have watched him a few times this season and he's been dire each time.

Pace and literally nothing else to offer - we'd be better off sticking Markovic on the wing.

Anyway, it's a position I really hope we strengthen next season. Without Mane, we are so slow to move forward. Nobody seems to be able to take anyone on, no chance of a counter attack, etc.

Get an equivalent to Mane for the left side and hopefully we'll be able to stretch a few more teams next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Bit of noise on Twitter that we have made moves for Michael Keane

brevity wrote: »

Probably cause they just talked about it on MNF.

I'm sure we're monitoring. Always monitoring.

• Advertisement

I'd far prefer him for 25m (or whatever would get him) than Van Dijk for 50, tbh.

Posted about him a few weeks ago too, actually. Although I do think that United is probably the more likely destination, what with him having played there before.

Rodriguez (Wolfsburg LB who's being playing out of position at CB a bit recently) is apparently after agreeing terms with Milan.

Probably just rumours, but you'd have to think that he'd be a nice signing. Even if he has been out of form for a bit.

If there's nothing to the story, I'd love to see Liverpool in for him. Milan aren't exactly at a higher level than ourselves in recent times, new owners or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd far prefer him for 25m (or whatever would get him) than Van Dijk for 50, tbh.

Posted about him a few weeks ago too, actually. Although I do think that United is probably the more likely destination, what with him having played there before.

So we could buy a player that has excelled at champions league, that is an international player. That has being consistently getting better and better year on year. that is an athlete a leader, fast as **** , great in the air...or we we could go cheap and by a half season wonder that plays for a team that sets up defensively...
    If we get champions league this year we have to buy top drawer quality players as it is the only chance we have had to this in the last 5 years.
    For CB we need the finished article because lord know Klopp can set up a team to defend.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    So we could buy a player that has excelled at champions league, that is an international player. That has being consistently getting better and better year on year. that is an athlete a leader, fast as **** , great in the air...

For CB we need the finished article because lord know Klopp can set up a team to defend.

When did van dijk excel in the CL?

Klopp can set up a team to defend?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Augeo wrote:
    When did van dijk excel in the CL?

When he played in it for Celtic

When he played in it for Celtic

Mmm.... excel in the CL.... subjective it seems

• Advertisement

Bowlardo wrote: »
    So we could buy a player that has excelled at champions league, that is an international player. That has being consistently getting better and better year on year. that is an athlete a leader, fast as **** , great in the air...or we we could go cheap and by a half season wonder that plays for a team that sets up defensively...
    If we get champions league this year we have to buy top drawer quality players as it is the only chance we have had to this in the last 5 years.

Southampton set up with two defensive midfielders, more often than not, and play a lot more compact and defensive than Liverpool do.

I just don't think there's any guarantee that van Dijk will be the answer to all of our issues, such is the way we setup. Sure he has all the attributes, but 50m for a club that won't exactly be likely to spend 200m, is a hell of a lot of money for one player, especially one that isn't a striker guaranteeing goals.

Also, Michael Keane has good pace and strength, and is actually decent on the ball as well. He's not quite the physical specimen that van Dijk is, and if we could get either for free I'd be taking van Dijk all day, but its not as big a difference as you would think. Not at the detriment of removing 25m from our kitty that could be used to sign a player like Brandt. Or just as important, a defensive midfielder who actually makes us compact and makes our defender's lives easier.

Also, Keane has as much, if not more PL experience and games than van Dijk. Your half season wonder nearly applies to van Dijk more, considering he's only been fit for half the league games this year, although I don't really think its applicable to either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Theres no guarantee that Van Dijk will be back to his best after his foot injury, could come back and be dog.

Keane seems like a more reasonable and sensible option, from what I've seen of him he's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Augeo wrote:
    Mmm.... excel in the CL.... subjective it seems

As are most opinions, especially when it comes to football.

He played in the CL with them and yes most would agree he was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When was he excellent?

Celtic generally lose most games in the CL?

Not being smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I'm sure we're monitoring. Always monitoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Clyne is a real problem in a side that is lacking width bar Mane, he offers nothing as an outlet so everything filters back inside. Those teams that know they are there for the point (or a smash and grab) simply sit across the width of the box at which point either it's a moment of magic or it's points lost. Klopp must address this issue in the summer and I'm sure he will as it happens but I'm not sure it'll be from FB - more likely to be another pace attacker.

As mentioned above TAA needs to be fully integrated as Clynes shadow next season, he has pace and a fantastic early cross on him.

Playing Can and Lucas made no sense either, surely Grujic should have been the first half pick with Can as the anchor and then Lallana replacing him at HT. Origi has had a bit of 'mare recently but he keeps getting picked to play front and centre when he needs to be in one of the channels.

Totally agree, Clyne is not good enough going forward against teams that sit back. I would also argue that we deffo have to replace Milner as left back next season, he's wrecked and always has to check back and cross on his right.

I thought Klopp had learned that you cannot start Can and Lucas against teams that sit back. It's really bizare how he hasnt figured it out.

The subs should have come on at half time imo or at least at 60 mins. We are going to need a plan b next season against these teams.

1. Buy another couple of pacy players like Mane
    2. Buy big tall lads who can pop up with a goal from a set piece (personally i'd buy 1 at center half as a starter and one for the midfield.)

ps.. meant to add that Origi should be sold...he's just not good enough and we are like a 10 men team when he's on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mada999 wrote: »

ps.. meant to add that Origi should be sold...he's just not good enough and we are like a 10 men team when he's on the pitch

Dunno for sure but defiitely losing hope with him.

I find him to be incredibly lazy and to have a superstar attitude with very little to back it up.

Augeo wrote: »
    Slightly tongue in cheek on my behalf :)

But of last summer's transfers Mane and Wij were plucked from the PL after eyecatching seasons. Mane more than Wij of course.

Btw, while mentioning him, Wij in the last lash of games is adding some credence to the Newcastle folk who reckoned he went missing for runs of games...... with Lallana sidelined recently I thought he'd make an impact, link the midfield to the front 3......... didn't really step up IMO.

in fairness Wij has played a lot of games this season... could have some kind of fatigue..

Vicxas wrote: »
    Can we all agree that Sturridge needs to start on Sunday, Origi just isn't working for me.

"but, but, but - he hold the ball up well" :mad:

is he a center back? he's only 6 foot 1... i think we need a bigger lad.. 6"4 or 6"5

If it's the Michael Keane I'm thinking of..

Stupid...LVG....stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

mada999 wrote: »
    is he a center back? he's only 6 foot 1... i think we need a bigger lad.. 6"4 or 6"5

If he can do the job, his height should not come into it ... Franco Baresi or Paul McGrath were shorter than Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Keane's a decent player but a move to United or Chelsea seems more likely for him I'd say.

I reckon that we'll be linked with Van Dijk and Keane quite heavily before the papers throw Steve Cook, Harry Maguire and Alfie Mawson into the list because they're an unimaginative bunch who just clicks the 'aerial' tab on Whoscored.com.

Then we'll sign some lad I've never heard of from Poland or Germany who will do the business for the next 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

As are most opinions, especially when it comes to football.

He played in the CL with them and yes most would agree he was excellent.

He was with Celtic for two seasons.

Season 1: Played 12 games lost 6. They lost 5 out of the 6 group games finishing with a 6-1 loss at the Nou Camp.

Season 2: They didn't make it to the group stages and would have been knocked out by Legia Warsaw in the third qualifying round only for them being disqualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Liverpool due to play in Dublin before the new season starts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement