Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

zerks wrote: »
    Liverpool due to play in Dublin before the new season starts.

Liverpool XI or the full team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'd imagine an XI

The first team squad will likely be off in the States of the back arse of Asia where there's more money in pre-season friendlies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

x43r0 wrote: »
    I'd imagine an XI

The first team squad will likely be off in the States of the back arse of Asia where there's more money in pre-season friendlies

Mini tour of Hong Kong I believe and Germany so it is possible they could come to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

zerks wrote: »
    Liverpool due to play in Dublin before the new season starts.

They're playing Athletico Madrid in August, a week or two before the season starts back, so a strong enough squad i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Easy to predict: if its July, an XI. August, something closer to a full team.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

mada999 wrote: »
    is he a center back? he's only 6 foot 1... i think we need a bigger lad.. 6"4 or 6"5

Fabio Cannavaro 1.76m (Ballon d'Or winner) and Franco Baresi 1.76m say hello!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Echo has him at an award ceremony for POTY saying he hopes to win loads of trophies at the club

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/philippe-coutinho-tells-ex-liverpool-13007649#ICID=sharebar_twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Barca's major concern this summer is getting Messi to sign a new contract.

If they can't do that then every player they try to sign as his replacement will have a premium put on that player that worth twice his market value by the club Barca try to steal him from.

Barca could also be under pressure to keep Neymar as well this summer.

If they want Coutinho the starting price will be close to the £100m mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If they can't do that then every player they try to sign as his replacement will have a premium put on that player that worth twice his market value by the club Barca try to steal him from.

That's what I w as thinking: it's a bit too early for a decision and we're still in a reasonable position for CL qualification. I'd also argure 76mil is a bit short of the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm sure we'll talk them down to a more reasonable fee.

I really wouldn't put Coutinho in the bracket of £75-£100m player.

He's not consistently enough a game changer to put him in the bracket of Suarez, Messi, Ronaldo or even Aguero,

Performances like last Sunday is where you would want somebody to step up and produce a piece of magic and win the points but it doesn't happen enough with him.

I really doubt Barcelona would want to spend ridiculous money on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'm sure we'll talk them down to a more reasonable fee.

Knowing us, we'll ask for Suarez to be sent the other way in a straight swap deal, then after we sign all the paperwork they send Denis over, because we didn't read the fine print.

Either that, or we'll just take the cash for Phil and replace him with Moussa Sissoko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

As much as i love Coutinho, he is not Luis Suarez. So why in gods name would they pay Suarez money for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

murpho999 wrote: »

He's not consistently enough a game changer to put him in the bracket of Suarez, Messi, Ronaldo or even Aguero,

Performances like last Sunday is where you would want somebody to step up and produce a piece of magic and win the points but it doesn't happen enough with him.

His ability doesn't matter, he's an important player to us and Barcelona have the money so there'd be no point selling for less.

Also he stepped up with a piece of magic in the last game he played before Southampton, we just went on to concede two awful goals after that. Our attack has been impotent and it's hard to expect a wonder goal to dig us out every weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Vicxas wrote: »
    As much as i love Coutinho, he is not Luis Suarez. So why in gods name would they pay Suarez money for him.

Because the world is gone mad, where Pogba cost 85 million and some 19 year old no one heard of last year will probable go for even more.

Coutinho is probably worth more to us than Barca would be willing to pay, tbh. He's not at the level Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo etc were when they moved, yet he's still probably our best player, so I think we'll overvalue him (and rightly so).

If Barca panic due to stuff that's going on with Messi & Neymar, and suddenly start offering 80m+ for Coutinho, then I can see him leaving, but its hard to envisage that scenario tbh.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Because the world is gone mad, where Pogba cost 85 million and some 19 year old no one heard of last year will probable go for even more.

Real Madrid were reported yesterday as having agreed to pay 40m for some Brazilian 16 year old.

Football has gone nuts, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Knex. wrote: »
    Coutinho is probably worth more to us than Barca would be willing to pay, tbh. He's not at the level Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo etc were when they moved, yet he's still probably our best player, so I think we'll overvalue him (and rightly so).

If Barca panic due to stuff that's going on with Messi & Neymar, and suddenly start offering 80m+ for Coutinho, then I can see him leaving, but its hard to envisage that scenario tbh.
    Coutinho won't be replacing those players, though. I imagine he will be more a long term replacement for Iniesta, linking play up and providing an occasional goal rather than being a forward scoring 1-in-2 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Vicxas wrote: »
    As much as i love Coutinho, he is not Luis Suarez. So why in gods Fowlers name would they pay Suarez money for him.

Wish we had a Fowler-like forward in our team. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

I think for West Ham we have to play Sturridge, if Firmino wont pass to him then drop him and play lallana. We need a striker up top. Origi drifts too wide at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Redmen lads play a few of the Liverpool lads at Pro Evo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Salah right now is a much more accomplished player than Brandt, strange that we were looking at Brandt ahead of him anyway. In saying that I doubt we'll even put a bid in.

I'd put Suarez worth more, but he had a release clause in hs contract, Coutinho doesn't - meaning this time, we can play a bit of hardball. Also, we don't really need to sell.

Assuming he's not going to try and force a move once the season ends, I'd be more inclined to line up a replacement or a cash+player deal that suits us before even considering a sale. If this doesn't happen, thanks but no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I'd imagine an XI

No US visit this time.

Oz at the end of the season then break up, then back to Hong Kong to take part in the Asia Premier League trophy, then to Germany to take part in the Audi Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can't see Barca going in for him tbh, where would he even play? Would see him only being cover if they did sign him. They're more in need of a Bernardo Silva type player, basically someone better than Rakitic who doesn't quite cut it at the very highest level.

I'd put Suarez worth more, but he had a release clause in hs contract, Coutinho doesn't - meaning this time, we can play a bit of hardball. Also, we don't really need to sell.

Assuming he's not going to try and force a move once the season ends, I'd be more inclined to line up a replacement or a cash+player deal that suits us before even considering a sale. If this doesn't happen, thanks but no thanks.

My point is that Couthino is not in the bracket of Suarez etc and is not a £75-£100m player so Barcelona will not be interested in him.

Just because he's important to us does not increase his value.

My point is that Couthino is not in the bracket of Suarez etc and is not a £75-£100m player so Barcelona will not be interested in him.

Just because he's important to us does not increase his value.

True, but it can increase the price we can charge for his contract. if Barcelona aren't willing to pay then so be it.

What a player's value is in terms of money, these days, doesn't normally set the price.

• Advertisement

True, but it can increase the price we can charge for his contract. if Barcelona aren't willing to pay then so be it.

What a player's value is in terms of money, these days, doesn't normally set the price.

I just don't think Barcelona would go for it and I think many posters here are over rating him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I just don't think Barcelona would go for it and I think many posters here are over rating him.
    I think most are just against the idea of selling him. And the inflated price is more to protect our asset than an actual value we think he has in the market. 

I don't think he is worth that much, but if Barca want him, cough up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

No US visit this time.

Oz at the end of the season then break up, then back to Hong Kong to take part in the Asia Premier League trophy, then to Germany to take part in the Audi Cup.

Thanks for the info!

For some weird reason this reminded me of the scene in Wayne's World where Chris Farley's security guard character is giving Wayne & Garth a surprisingly detailed level of info on Frankie Sharpe's schedule

Scene @ 51:34

All going well Coutinho stays and we either buy another Mane type AM or a striker.

Than we have Coutinho, Mane, Firmino and the new lad competing for 3 places.......... with Lallana the starting #10 so if the new lad is better on the left than Coutinho than we have either Coutinho or Lallana on the bench.

Plenty games to keep them all happy too.

We have Origi, Ings and AN Other (probably not Sturridge) along with Wij too for AM ish positions if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nothing to do with under or overrating him. The club don't want to sell him anyway so may as well ask for an inflated fee. They got Suarez for 20M less than what he was worth. No point us going hmmm...you know what I don't actually think he's worth that much so we'll take whatever you think is best. The club don't want to sell, he's on a long contract so either pay up what we want or sod off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Augeo wrote: »
    All going well Coutinho stays and we either buy another Mane type AM or a striker.

Than we have Coutinho, Mane, Firmino and the new lad competing for 3 places.......... with Lallana the starting #10 so if the new lad is better on the left than Coutinho than we have either Coutinho or Lallana on the bench.

Plenty games to keep them all happy too.

We have Origi, Ings and AN Other (probably not Sturridge) along with Wij too for AM ish positions if required.

I'd like see Coutinho move back central if we added an actual winger for the left.

Something like this....

Henderson/New DM
    Lallana/Can
    Coutinho/Wijnaldum
    Mane
    Firmino
    Brandt (or AN other)

Find that Coutinho can often let a game pass him by out wide. If he's isolated out there, he struggles to get involved at times.

Probably just over-balance the attacking sense of the midfield though, with both Lallana and Coutinho supporting the attack and leaving Henderson (or whoever) to do a lot more heavy lifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'd imagine an XI

Its fairly ridiculous that they can't send a proper squad over here for one game, where they have a very big fanbase and many who travel to games regularly. Instead the yanks or the Chinese get the pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Its fairly ridiculous that they can't send a proper squad over here for one game, where they have a very big fanbase and many who travel to games regularly. Instead the yanks or the Chinese get the pleasure.

Fairly fundamental misunderstanding of what pays the bills if you actually find it ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

J Mysterio wrote: »

dollar-sign-border-clip-art-sOOOpV-clipart.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dunno,only heard the other day.It's just before the new season so generally teams like to have as near a full squad as possible at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

And what happens if coutinho decides he wants to go? Sure he is happy but playing at barca with neymar is probably more appealing. Add in the annual challenge for the league and champions league.

If decides he wants to go then we can't just say "pay or go fudge yourself". That's not the way it works anymore. Player power means if he wants out we are getting 50 million for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

In today's football someone's skill value to money and their market value to money are two different things.

I don't think anyone things Coutinho skill value is anywhere near £100m but his market value is into day's crazy world of football.

niallo27 wrote:

Except that 19 year old is only 19, loads of potential and flavour of the month.

Coutinho is at the age he should be performing more consistent and scoring more. He is doing neither.

Coutinho is rated by us. To everyone else I'm sure they would prefer Sanchez, David Silva, Moura, thiago etc.

Saying take it or leave it is fine. But we are just the fans. The ones who control the finances don't think that way. They think "50 million is a 40 million profit".....

I don't think anyone things Coutinho skill value is anywhere near £100m but his market value is into day's crazy world of football.

But the point is no-one actually wants him bad enough to pay that. We are the only ones that value him at that and its only because we know no-one will pay it.

Barca only want him because neymar wants him and his agent has wanted the move for years now.

There are better players out there for cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He is trying to get a team into the champions league with strikers from the lower half of the table playing ahead of him in fairness.

He has virtually no foil.

Giroud, Ibra, Costa, kane, Lukaku, Aguero, etc.

It's been three years since he had someone playing ahead of him he could could release through on goal due to their skill/pace.

• Advertisement

I'd like see Coutinho move back central..........

Find that Coutinho can often let a game pass him by out wide. If he's isolated out there, he struggles to get involved at times............

I wonder would he prefer to be central too :)
    Mr.H wrote: »
    And what happens if coutinho decides he wants to go? Sure he is happy but playing at barca with neymar is probably more appealing. Add in the annual challenge for the league and champions league.

If decides he wants to go then we can't just say "pay or go fudge yourself". That's not the way it works anymore. Player power means if he wants out we are getting 50 million for him

Indeed, he might well be tempted away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Reports today that a consortium representing a PL club have been talking to Michael Zorc, Dortmund's technical director. Wenger has fairly strenuously denied that it was Arsenal.

tumblr_mig0n16mb51s6655co1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you want Coutinho to look like a 100m player then play him in Barcelona. If you want to make him look like a 30m player then send him to Boro Man Utd.

If you want Coutinho to look like a 100m player then play him in Barcelona.

Or he could just fade away into the background like many before him. He would need to be far more consistent.

Even when we had Suarez sterling and Sturridge he was merely our next best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Christ on a bike you really are a Debbie Downer! He was also three years younger in a new league. How about comparing Coutinho with Sturridge now?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement