Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

is there any way to hypnotise the players into thinking wham and boro are top 6 teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Bring on the next 2 games. If anything this team have surprised us more in the tougher games this year when they are under pressure and doubts set in, i.e. Top 6 results, Watford/WBA/Stoke away. I honestly think we'll get the 2 wins. They've had their kick up the whole. Lallana and Coutinho should be fresher. Sturridge expect to start and see out his LFC career with couple goals. Just focus and get it ****ing done. It's in our hands

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Mig
    Clyne Matip Lovren Milner
    Lucas
    Winji CAn
    Lallana Firmino Coutinho

Team for the second halflast twenty minutes
    Mig
    Clyne Matip Lovren Milner
    Winji CAn
    Lallana
    Sturridge Firmino Coutinho

Beat west ham and we are sorted
    Stoke have full team and their last game of the season a few ex liverpool players should do us a turn
    Spurs will spank united

It is down to us. If we **** up the I there will be serious questions asked.
    This is a west ham team that are safe that have just come off a big derby win so they should not be at 100%

team for the second half :D
    hilarius

Knex. wrote: »

At Christmas we had something like a 99% probability of top 4. ..............

I think we were never shorter than 1/8 with bookmakers to finish top4 around Christmas to be honest so I think the 99% thing is more than inaccurate, to be fair.

Currently 1.4 (shorter than 1/2) on Betfair and Arsenal are 3.7 ish (just shorter than 11/4).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

MD1990 wrote: »
    If we dont make top you could argue it will be the 4th year in a row we bottled it

- 2014 Chelsea
    - 2015 Man utd at home, Villa FA Cup
    -2016 2nd half of Europa final.

We often underform when we are favourites in crucial games.

2014 was never a bottle performance, that league was always in Man City's hands having games in hand and going on an amazing run to win the league

Man City went from 24th November to the end of the season losing 2 games
    Liverpool went from 24th November to the end of the season losing 4 games

That is what Liverpool were up against don't let anyone else fool you into saying Liverpool bottled it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

There was an opportunity for the club to really cement the CL position and let players that Liverpool are interested in know they mean business. As it is, Liverpool are falling over the line.

Imo qualifying for the CL in this manner just complicates things.

At least there is no Payet to turn up for one game this season like he done on the reverse game back in December when looking for him move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Arsenal will pip us lads. Fail to beat West Ham (We won't beat them) and we're done.

Shocking we haven't sewn it up long ago.

We need top 4 to sign the quality we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

brevity wrote: »
    There was an opportunity for the club to really cement the CL position and let players that Liverpool are interested in know they mean business. As it is, Liverpool are falling over the line.

Imo qualifying for the CL in this manner just complicates things.

Damn right it does, 4th is a funny one anyway. You're not a champions league guarantee until August and that's only if you qualify. Some players may not want to take the gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We will win our next two game, no issues. Fully confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

mosstin wrote: »
    It'll be pathetic if we don't finish top 4 as far as I'm concerned. We've been there since we beat Hull on September 24th, had nothing but the league as a focus since January and couldn't have cherry-picked a more convenient set of end of season fixtures against 4 teams with absolutely nothing to play for.
    Genuinely, I don't get the 'But we've accrued more points' argument as it's worthless in a season when 4 other teams possibly accrue more than us and it's undoubtedly been one of Klopp's goals since the beginning of the season.

Klopp's a fine manager and I'm excited about what business we'll do in the summer, how he sets us up next year and who our targets are. We've shown improvement in many areas but, equally, we've stagnated in others and regressed in some. We can't judge Klopp until the end of next season but Top 4 would be a minimum requirement next season and it'd be bloody nice to get our hands on some silverware.

I still think we'll get Top 4 by the way. Arsenal have momentum but they generally don't fancy away trips to the Brittania and I think we'll do enough to beat West Ham, leaving a relegated Boro on the last day of the season. I mean, a defensive bottom half of the table team - what could go wrong?

Overall though, no Top 4 this year would have be considered a failure.

Have to agree with most of this. Beating last years points total means absolutely nothing if we don't get top 4.
    Hopefully we can stumble over the line for top 4, I think Arsenal will really push us all the way for it though.

Maybe Leicester will beat Man City :) but Liverpool know what they have to go to get at least 4th and should be aiming for it. But we as fans can't help but be nervous as we know the form Liverpool have been in since Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

OwaynOTT wrote: »

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

2014 was never a bottle performance, that league was always in Man City's hands having games in hand and going on an amazing run to win the league

Man City went from 24th November to the end of the season losing 2 games
    Liverpool went from 24th November to the end of the season losing 4 games

That is what Liverpool were up against don't let anyone else fool you into saying Liverpool bottled it
    It was in our hands before we lost to Chelsea. All we needed against Chelsea was a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

At least there is no Payet to turn up for one game this season like he done on the reverse game back in December when looking for him move

Well on the plus side West Ham are missing Payet, Antonio and Kouyate from earlier in the season. Three of their best players. Not to mention Ogbonna and Sakho and maybe Carroll.

I imagine we'll still make it difficult though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The reverse double anti-jinx! :eek:

5446adebc5d70f0d8520a25fb483d394_posted-by-sterlingice-on-nov-2-its-a-bold-strategy-cotton-meme_500-300.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Augeo wrote: »
    I think we were never shorter than 1/8 with bookmakers to finish top4 around Christmas to be honest so I think the 99% thing is more than inaccurate, to be fair.

Currently 1.4 (shorter than 1/2) on Betfair and Arsenal are 3.7 ish (just shorter than 11/4).

Yeah, thinking now it was 93% or so. It was still ridiculously high.

I will say though, at the start of the season if you offered me the chance to have Liverpool going into the final two games with top 4 within their grasp, I'd have probably taken your hand off for that.

Its hard to balance the surprise at the overachievement in the first half of the year against the disappointment of the underachieving since then.

I haven't been confident of us coming through in the clutch since Rafa, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I haven't been confident of us coming through in the clutch since Rafa, tbh.

Indeed... and 2014 was the swift kick to the sack reminder to never feel too confident about success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp say Coutinho isn't for sale and joked that when he signed the new contract earlier in the season there was a £400m buyout clause put in.

So we were all miles out with our £100m valuation:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

If we dont make top you could argue it will be the 4th year in a row we bottled it

- 2014 Chelsea
    - 2015 Man utd at home, Villa FA Cup
    -2016 2nd half of Europa final.

We often underform when we are favourites in crucial games.

I started supporting Liverpool around the same time Rodgers became manager. I've only ever known heartache and disappointment at season end.

I fully expect that we drop points to West Ham and allow Arsenal to snake Top 4. Then, in the darkest of all the timelines, Man Utd will win the Europa and we'll be the only team out of the Top 6 who are not in Champions League.

P3aajax.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I was out on heavy family stuff tonight and to be honest forgot Liverpool's top 4 challenge and Arsenal's game for a while.

Get home and discover the thread has gone full meltown, thought Klopp had died or Sturridge had broke a toe nail but it turns out Arsenal had won.

All of sudden we're crap and no chance of top 4.

Bloody hell, will ye calm down. I'm not saying this is a team without problems, we know all about them, but this is still in our hands and we can actually beat West Ham on Sunday.

Also Arsenal will still drop points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

534.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

martyos121 wrote: »
    The reverse double anti-jinx! :eek:

5446adebc5d70f0d8520a25fb483d394_posted-by-sterlingice-on-nov-2-its-a-bold-strategy-cotton-meme_500-300.jpeg

untaken-book-review-pic-04-by-casey-carlisle.gif

Now let's hope it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It was in our hands before we lost to Chelsea. All we needed against Chelsea was a draw.

We were certainly 4/5 to win the league with four games left. I have a horrible feeling this went to something ludicrous like 1/6 with three to go. Then came Chelsea who had been on a poor run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Arsenal and top 4 just makes sense and feels right, you can't expect to stand in the way of that weight of history.

It's inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rekop dog wrote:
    Arsenal and top 4 just makes sense and feels right, you can't expect to stand in the way of that weight of history.

Arsenal Fan TV was so positive last night TY & Claude were getting along.
    If they get it we will rightfully be panned & I think Klopp being inflexible will be a talking point.
    I'd be more confident if we didn't have to rely on others as of late taking points off United in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Arsenal fans getting a bit giddy, sure we'll see Stoke away has also been a tough one for Arsenal.

West Ham game obviously is make or break for us but hopefully Lallana and Sturidge starting will gives a bit more cutting edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lucas is starting his coaching er coaching for his UEFA B Licence (presumably)

Lucas is starting his coaching er coaching for his UEFA B Licence (presumably)

Someone said it recently (I think Gbear), but I'd love for Lucas to stay at the club as a coach for years - start the new bootroom, I believe was the phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Keeping old guard like Lucas around is really good for the club.

Kids will come in and see him and how well he's done. Give them a boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Vicxas wrote: »
    Keeping old guard like Lucas around is really good for the club.

Kids will come in and see him and how well he's done. Give them a boost.

All them kids that will never see much action at Liverpool regardless. Has their been anyone of note since say 2000 that forged out a youth career and then had 100+ apps for the senior team? The likes of Sterling don't count if they were singed in their later teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A real shame Lucas picked up that ACL injury vs Chelsea.

He has not been the same player since that injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

West Ham away is tough of course.

But ffs if we cant win these games we have no purpose being in the Champions League.

We are becoming bigger bottlers than Spurs and Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone said it recently (I think Gbear), but I'd love for Lucas to stay at the club as a coach for years - start the new bootroom, I believe was the phrase.

Could have been me but Gbear may have said similar.
    I'm in the "we must be able to find a player who can make Lucas leaving inevitable" camp, but would be delighted if he moved sideways into coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Last 4 years against West Ham

7kxqtpQ.jpg

Doesn't inspire confidence

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'd be more confident if we didn't have to rely on others as of late taking points off United in particular.

As things stand we win our 2 games we finish 4th, at least :)

Mr.H wrote: »
    West Ham away is tough of course.

But ffs if we cant win these games we have no purpose being in the Champions League.

We are becoming bigger bottlers than Spurs and Arsenal

What exactly have Spurs bottled?

Last 4 years against West Ham

7kxqtpQ.jpg

Doesn't inspire confidence

That has zero influence or impact on Sunday's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Oh my sweet Summer child...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Rekop dog wrote: »
    All them kids that will never see much action at Liverpool regardless. Has their been anyone of note since say 2000 that forged out a youth career and then had 100+ apps for the senior team? The likes of Sterling don't count if they were singed in their later teens.

To be fair, this was acknowledged under Benitez when the club literally tore up the entire youth system and started over.

These things take time but in the last decade, the whole youth set-up has been revamped in terms of coaching, playing styles, etc and the group coming through now are the first ones to have used it for a number of years.

It's too early to say if it was worthwhile but it isn't for a lack of trying on the club's part.

People often point to City's youth set-up and it's the same thing - about a decade of revamping it at huge expense and it's only now that those players would even be at the age where they would be considered for the first team.

murpho999 wrote: »
    That has zero influence or impact on Sunday's game.

How many other teams has a Klopp LFC team failed to beat in 4 attempts?

Southampton.

Southampton.

Beat them 5-1 at St Mary's.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Beat them 5-1 at St Mary's.

The memory of the four dour games this season has obliterated that from my mind.

I just feel sleepy when I see red and white stripes now...

• Advertisement

The memory of the four dour games this season has obliterated that from my mind.

Fair enough. It's enough to recall Sturridge and Origi on the pitch at the same time or Ibe scoring a stunner to make you wonder if it ever even happened at all.

Not just those games, unfortunately.

My housemates get annoyed now if I put Liverpool games on the TV in the living room, as the games have been so dour since the start of 2017.

I found that I have increasingly less room to argue against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

No idea, but what has that got to do with game on Sunday.

If we had won our last 4 games against them would you be any more confident but on both teams current form?

Current form is the true barometer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Arsenal won't lose to Sunderland and I wouldn't trust Everton to help us out last day of the season if it comes down to it. Arsenal play Stoke on Saturday, we play West Ham on Sunday, their result determines what we have to do. Assuming we can beat Boro, we have to also at least match whatever result Arsenal get against Stoke when we play West Ham.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement