Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

mosstin wrote: »
    Your expectations evolve as the season progresses. It's a failure that we haven't learned how to defeat deep lying teams at home. It's a failure that we still look like conceding from almost all set pieces. It was a failure not to recruit in January.
    We know the strength of the sides we're dealing with but they've underperformed woefully for the most part and we might not be able to take advantage of that in spite of giving ourselves a head start.
    The most galling thing were we not to make Top 4 would be that most of the blows that were landed on us were self inflicted. Leicester never once let the "relative strength" of their opponents stop them from achieving their goal last season. When you're given an opportunity as we have this season, you take it. We still might but, again, it'll be a failure if we don't.

Anyone who thinks that not finishing in top 4 (considering the position we are in now) is anything but failure is on the purest of pure crack out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Southampton,palace,bournmouth,burnley,sunderland,swansea are hardly barce or real either are they

True. I'm commenting on the dread some people have of facing them though. Sure, we could drop points against them like we did against the teams you've listed, but we should have nothing to fear playing them. We have enough to beat them and I think we will.

Anyone who thinks that not finishing in top 4 (considering the position we are in now) is anything but failure is on the purest of pure crack out there

Yea, at the start of the season I'd have been delighted with our position now, but when you take into consideration the position we've been in for the majority of the season it would be a failure. Might be harsh but its true IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm all for signing more Brazilians, purely on principle.

Good to make a core of them.

Think it worked well with the spaniards under Benitez.

Need a few more Germans though.
    Lob in Brandt, Goretzka and Meyer and we're golden.

Das ist perfekt! Germany efficiency with Brazilian flair! Wunderbar.

If Sturridge and Lallana start I can see us getting the result we need tomorrow.

If Klopp goes with Origi up front and the same passive crap we've witnessed the last few weeks we'll get nothing from this game.

I genuinely believe it's down the Klopp and team selection tomorrow. Sturridge had to start , they will fear him more and it will send out a signal to West Ham from the off

Agree.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Das ist perfekt! Germany efficiency with Brazilian flair! Wunderbar.

With a Belgian waffler...... :o

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If its down to klopp then we're fcuked

Who do you want to be Liverpool manager? Realistically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

5starpool wrote: »

Based on his comments about Klopp he'll want him out in 18 months aswell.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Based on his comments about Klopp he'll want him out in 18 months aswell.

He wants him out much sooner than that I'd say.

Klopp is far from perfect but even if we do have a disappointing end and miss out I'm happy to have him around next season. There might be cause to have a think about things after next season if things don't go great, but I'll see how it goes before I think anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Carra has said Liverpool have never won a game he has commentated on for Sky and he just announced that he is commentating the game tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Carra has said Liverpool have never won a game he has commentated on for Sky and he just announced that he is commentating the game tomorrow.

Rather listen to Carragher than Neville!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Someone who knows how to manage,who has a plan b,who knows how to beat teams who come to defend,someone who doesnt wait till the last 5 mins to change personnel,someone who doesnt take 2years to sort out a defence or goalkeeper or let one of our best cb go when we dont replace him,i like klopp but im just not convinced by him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Klopp is far from perfect but even if we do have a disappointing end and miss out I'm happy to have him around next season. There might be cause to have a think about things after next season if things don't go great, but I'll see how it goes before I think anything like that.

No, I think he means whoever he would want as a Klopp replacement he would also want them out within 18 months of appointment due to the unrealistically high bar he and others have set for anyone managing Liverpool, due to the fact that we were dominant in the league over 20 years ago now and despite the huge financial disadvantage we face against our rivals. Win everything or you're a failure. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me your having doubts already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Just fcuking wonderful

Im more then happy to give klopp another year but it will be a massive clusterfcuk if we fail to get cl and it would mainly be down to klopp,if we fail id give him one more year and if still no change then out with him

Im more then happy to give klopp another year but it will be a massive clusterfcuk if we fail to get cl and it would mainly be down to klopp,if we fail id give him one more year and if still no change then out with him

Now I can't really argue with any of this, barring the absolute of top 4 next season or you're out. As a rule I hate such absolutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

We're going to get 6 points from our two remaining games.

And you know what...

Next year is going to be our year.

mormank wrote: »
    No, I think he means whoever he would want as a Klopp replacement he would also want them out within 18 months of appointment due to the unrealistically high bar he and others have set for anyone managing Liverpool, due to the fact that we were dominant in the league over 20 years ago now and despite the huge financial disadvantage we face against our rivals. Win everything or you're a failure. :rolleyes:

Noone said we have to win everything, plus i never realised we have a huge financial disadvantage to the likes of bournmouth,burnley,swansea and co,whats your excuse for not beating the likes of them

• Advertisement

The Echo is reporting that Klopp has already been talking with players he hopes to sign in the summer so looks like it moved a bit further that monitoring the crap out of them and he wants to get those players in a soon as possible once the window opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Noone said we have to win everything, plus i never realised we have a huge financial disadvantage to the likes of bournmouth,burnley,swansea and co,whats your excuse for not beating the likes of them

You still haven't answered the question though who you would like in charge.

Sounds to me your having doubts already

Doubts would be an exaggeration. I'm realistic enough to know that things might not work out. I like how he wants us to play, but there have been a lot of performances recently that have not been to the standard most of us would like. It's possible at this time next year there might be some more saying that he probably won't get it right, but I'm certainly not going to say that we have to finish in x position or get you points for him to still have my support. There is a lot of context to be taken into account.

He has made with I perceive to be mistakes this season, but he is a million times more qualified and better placed than me to make those decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I see shamrock in here and it makes me greatful we only have bangkok and jambo in ours ;);)

Klopp ain't perfect but he is a daycent manager he is definitely not as bad as he makes out.

I'm pretty sure you have said that we need to win the league. I know that Borntobewilde said that a league and champion's league double would only be a good season, that's the word he used....GOOD!! It's like ye're expectations don't take into account anything other than the fact that we are LFC and therefore should be challenging for the league every year, which of course is nonsense.
    As for the financial advantage, you know I'm referring to our top 6 rivals and this means that we don't have the same resources available to us as they do which makes it tougher to be competitive throughout an entire seasons and also can limit our number of different options for different situations i.e. a benteke type that who we can cross the ball into when teams are being compact against us.

niallo27 wrote: »

He did, he wants a unicorn! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

mormank wrote: »
    He did, he wants a unicorn! ;)

With jesus christ himself saddled up and the easter bunny holding on to it's tail on a skateboard

Someone who knows how to manage,who has a plan b,who knows how to beat teams who come to defend,someone who doesnt wait till the last 5 mins to change personnel,someone who doesnt take 2years to sort out a defence or goalkeeper or let one of our best cb go when we dont replace him,i like klopp but im just not convinced by him tbh

Sounds like Big Sam or Tony Pulis.

Don't expect one. One that is realistic anyway.

Living in the past some Liverpool fans. Still think we should be winning titles from the bootroom.

Ancelotti,rafa,hiddink,simeone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

mormank wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you have said that we need to win the league. I know that Borntobewilde said that a league and champion's league double would only be a good season, that's the word he used....GOOD!! It's like ye're expectations don't take into account anything other than the fact that we are LFC and therefore should be challenging for the league every year, which of course is nonsense. As for the financial advantage, you know I'm referring to our top 6 rivals and this means that we don't have the same resources available to us as they do which makes it tougher to be competitive throughout an entire seasons and also can limit our number of different options for different situations i.e. a benteke type that who we can cross the ball into when teams are being compact against us.

I agree with most of this post but I think this argument that we dont have the turn over of the other clubs in the top 6 is a bit misleading.
    For a start our turnover is well above spurs from what I can make out, and I dont think we are too far behind Chelsea and Arsenal. Yet year after year these teams out perform us for the most part.

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Living in the past some Liverpool fans. Still think we should be winning titles from the bootroom.

Again ive not fcuking once said we should be winning the title but we most certainly should be able to beat burnley,bournmouth,swansea and the rest of the **** we have dropped points to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

jayo26 wrote: »
    I see shamrock in here and it makes me greatful we only have bangkok and jambo in ours ;);)

Klopp ain't perfect but he is a daycent manager he is definitely not as bad as he makes out.

Jambo is brilliant. I always read his posts to the tune of Jambo breakfast roll by Pat Short, makes it a lot easier on the eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Every team in the league drops points to teams they "shouldn't be dropping points to."

The Echo is reporting that Klopp has already been talking with players he hopes to sign in the summer so looks like it moved a bit further that monitoring the crap out of them and he wants to get those players in a soon as possible once the window opens.

As per the press conference klopp said top4 or not will have an effect on who is signed.

Every team in the league drops points to teams they "shouldn't be dropping points to."

Top teams do it every now and then, with us its a regular occurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

No pressure so :P
    What I couldn't understand was seeing earlier this season, Liverpool has a higher wage bill than Man City. Just typing this out makes me certain its crap lol. Man City, Chelsea and Utd in a large part attract players with wages we won't pay...
    It's frustrating nowadays watching football, you can't win anything without spending a fortune (unless you're lucky like Leicester), and Liverpool don't have owners that will spend a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Sure they do.

Problem is, it is highly unusual to be that good against the best in the league and that bad against the worst. It is indicative of 'higher' problems in the set up. Those problems can be debated. What cant be debated is the inconsistency, which breeds massive frustration. If we lost 4-0 tomorrow i wouldnt be surprised, if we won 4-0 i wouldnt be surprised.

The real issue for me, from what i see, is that there is a real lack of mental fortitude. There is a basic lack of intelligence and simply managing games.

Some people talk like taking this squad to CL football is a monumental achievement. If that was the case what the fu*k was last summers transfer window all about?. If we cant get the right players this summer where does all this end?. It's a massive summer regardless of CL football or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

eyerer wrote: »
    What I couldn't understand was seeing earlier this season, Liverpool has a higher wage bill than Man City. Just typing this out makes me certain its crap lol. Man City, Chelsea and Utd in a large part attract players with wages we won't pay...
    It's frustrating nowadays watching football, you can't win anything without spending a fortune (unless you're lucky like Leicester), and Liverpool don't have owners that will spend a fortune.
    City are very good on there wage bill, maybe it's true, where did you see that info, can you please post it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

eyerer wrote: »

Is it player only wagebills? City have alot of their staff wages write off with the parent company or something like that I remember reading before.

Screenshot_20170513-232235.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I've changed my mind lads; We're gonna win, and we're gonna get top 4.

If anyone has any doubts, just follow my lead. Half a bottle of Jameson and you'll be optimistic as **** in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Mirror are transfer crazy at the moment - Andrew Robertson to be announced they say on first day of summer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Had a chance at the league in 13/14
    Should have made the Cup Final in 14/15
    Lost the League Cup on penalties in 15/16
    Lost the EL final in 15/16 despite being ahead at half time.

This team needs to start getting over the line. As much as winning is a habit, so is falling at the final hurdle. We have done that too often lately.

These next two games are massive, not just for CL football, but to prove (to themselves maybe?) that they can seal the deal.

Absolutely bricking it for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Plus Milner misses a penalty last week for the first time in decades and mahrez forgets to stand up for his penalty today, still scores and a free out is given.

This is why I'm worried that things are not going out way.

I can imagine a pigeon running across the goal line tomorrow preventing a last min winner for us.

And I can see the black cat chasing it re-directing it . :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tomorrow is it for us, the last chance saloon. It's down to this game now anything other than a win and we come 5th .
    This game is huge, it's our season. If we fail to win tomorrow it's over and it will be all our own fault.

City are very good on there wage bill, maybe it's true, where did you see that info, can you please post it?
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Is it player only wagebills? City have alot of their staff wages write off with the parent company or something like that I remember reading before.

If its the same wage bill I was looking at it was total wage bill of everyone working for the club.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-wage-bill-rockets-25-12700881

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Why not think that we can win titles?

Look at what we did under Houllier in 2001 with a very average squad.

Again in the 2005 season with Rafa.

Came so close in 2008 and 2013.

Look at our record this season against the so called title contenders.

Finally look what Leicester City done last season, while coming up against the type of money that Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and the two Manchester clubs had at their disposal.

The Mirror are transfer crazy at the moment - Andrew Robertson to be announced they say on first day of summer window

Who is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

5starpool wrote:
    Who is he?

Hull's left back.....hopefully it's not true.
    If we're ever going to progress & y'know win something we need to start aiming higher in the transfer market especially with full backs. Would any of the teams around us be in for him? No chance.
    Big game tomorrow. I had predicted a draw but figured Arsenal would slip up by now so hoping I'm wrong. Even with West Ham's injuries I'm still not confident. Will need to avoid a lot of people on Monday if we mess up again. >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Jaysus lads. This thread, this evening:

MCkyrC.gif

• Advertisement

Again ive not fcuking once said we should be winning the title but we most certainly should be able to beat burnley,bournmouth,swansea and the rest of the **** we have dropped points to

Well if we had of beaten all of those teams like you say we should have we would have walked the league so in essence you are saying we should have won the league. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement