Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This year, not this season.
    12 homes games this year and we are so poor at home this year compared to the first half of season.
    I hope we do win, but it's tough at home against teams that sit deep.
    I don't feel like we are there yet.

Yes, just saw there that you said year not season.

Anyhow, no need to start the negative stuff already.

Play like today and hey will win easily.

Middlesbrough are awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

As for pay Coutinho is on 200k now isn't he? So it's creeping up but again Liverpool will never cough up a Zlatan type 350k wage.

And if Coutinho has the same kind of incentives money wise as Firmino he got close to another £100k this week with his two goals and one assist today.

So not too far away from it that kind of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, just saw there that you said year not season.

Anyhow, no need to start the negative stuff already.

Play like today and hey will win easily.

Middlesbrough are awful.

I'll be like this until about 4.55 next Sunday

beaker-new.gif

And if Coutinho has the same kind of incentives money wise as Firmino he got close to another ?100k this week with his two goals and one assist today.

So not too far away from it that kind of money.

Luckily that doesn't happen too often.....wait! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We need to win last game if Arsenal win their game in hand. A draw is no use, we need to win at home. We've played 12 time at home in all competitions this year, we have only managed 4 wins in total. It's really not over at all yet .
    You have to go back to the 1st of April to find the last time we won at home.

We can also look at Man City

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Definitely not going to beat Middlesboro next weekend, Arsenal will get 4th. It'll be a terrible day. Yep, definitely not beating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I'll be like this until about 4.55 next Sunday

beaker-new.gif
    Unless Arsenal lose in the week..

Tony Pulis to take points off City Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Boro will come out and have a good go nxt sun,shur they may aswell theyve nothing to lose now,no point in cming to defend and sit back why would they

• Advertisement

The Baggies are so on the beach they're practically Nevil Shute.

West Brom----10--1--2--7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5starpool wrote: »
    Definitely not going to beat Middlesboro next weekend, Arsenal will get 4th. It'll be a terrible day. Yep, definitely not beating them.

Yes, you're right, Coutinho, Lallana and Wijnaldum will all get injured in training and we will lose 3-0.

#kloppout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd keep sturridge still, I honestly don't see anyone paying big money for him. He looked the fittest today I've seen in ages, used a bit of pace for his goal too. I always say it but what a shame he can't stay fit.

Great performance today, klopp finally changed the stale setup that isn't creative without mane.

Coutinho was unreal, klopp reckons that will be his future role. You'd imagine klopp wants a left winger in the summer so.
    If 30m came in I would still sell him.
    But i wouldn't mind him staying if we could somehow prevent him from getting injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Boro will come out and have a good go nxt sun,shur they may aswell theyve nothing to lose now,no point in cming to defend and sit back why would they

And that'll suit me fine, if they come to play football we'll beat them...handily.

West ham did'nt sit deep today, (some could argue they did'nt even show up) but the result was never in doubt today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Match of the Day doing a save of the season vote, somehow Mignolet vs Stoke hasn't gotten on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

All the love for Kuyt but I have to say I'm also delighted for Brad Jones who also won the league.

The last Feyenoord keeper to win the Dutch league back in 1999 was Jerzy Dudek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The last Feyenoord keeper to win the Dutch league back in 1999 was Jerzy Dudek.

That's pretty mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Rafa showing his class...... again.

Fcuking love that man, epitomises everything good in a human being..

It's bit churlish to mention this but since he arrived in England Gini Wijnaldum has not score an away goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I just realised we actually scored form a counter attack today. Probably helped that West Ham just stopped playing to whinge to the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's pretty mad.

Another notable member of the squad was Ireland's very own David Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Massive, massive win.
    I had my 12 week old in my arms when Sturridge scored, he was close to taking his first solo flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Dont think people should focus too much on keeping or selling Sturridge. What should be focused on is whether the set up at the club can source a better option than Sturridge so that we can improve further.

Have my doubts.

We will need another forward brought in (without selling) just to cope with the volume of games if we reach the CL anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Luckily our away form picked up just as our home form wobbled. Four away wins on the trot to Stoke, West Brom, Watford and West Ham is pretty good going. And only one goal conceded in those four games.

In the premier league era we have finished with 73 points or more only 6 times before.

79 points won us our last title and that was a 42 game season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Watch Orgi's movement in this and compare it to Sturridge.

https://gfycat.com/MassiveDapperBetafish

Hopefully its something he can pick up over time, but I'm not so sure. That's pure instinct from Sturridge there. He just plays the striker role with so much more purpose. Its a real shame that he's injured so often, it really is.

His style of play perhaps doesn't suit Klopp's tactics in terms of his workrate and intensity when Liverpool don't have the ball, and that gets highlighted more when he's injured, lacking match fitness and in and out of the team. But its hard to give a good reason for selling him unless we get offered mad money. We've nobody close to being able to do what he does when fit and firing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

In the premier league era we have finished with 73 points or more only 6 times before.

79 points won us our last title and that was a 42 game season.

I hast been corrected

Alcohol and boards don't mix

Glico Man wrote: »
    That was also only 2 points per win ;)

I don't get the joke? Is it a reference to it being a long time ago just?

That was also only 2 points per win ;)

It wasn't it was 3 points for win since 81 if memory serves me right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

It wasn't it was 3 points for win since 81 if memory serves me right.

I have been drinking, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

There's not a hope Arsenal will drop points against Sunderland, they have been putrid nearly all year.

But a man can dream :D

• Advertisement

I have been drinking, apologies.

Jaysus, I assumed it had to be a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Four clean sheets in five games... who say that coming?

I just hope Klopp has the sense to start the same team on Sunday next, injuries permitting...

I took a hit for the team . I had mignolet as my keeper in Fantasy football for 10 games he kept 1 clean sheet . I sold him 5 weeks ago and he has turned into neuer. Great win yesterday coutinho and sturridge always link up well. That combo produced a fair few goals the season they both signed in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Knex. wrote: »
    Watch Orgi's movement in this and compare it to Sturridge.

https://gfycat.com/MassiveDapperBetafish

Hopefully its something he can pick up over time, but I'm not so sure. That's pure instinct from Sturridge there. He just plays the striker role with so much more purpose. Its a real shame that he's injured so often, it really is.

His style of play perhaps doesn't suit Klopp's tactics in terms of his workrate and intensity when Liverpool don't have the ball, and that gets highlighted more when he's injured, lacking match fitness and in and out of the team. But its hard to give a good reason for selling him unless we get offered mad money. We've nobody close to being able to do what he does when fit and firing.

Great post, it pretty much summed up my feelings on Sturridge, when Sturridge is sharp as he has been for his last few appearances there's only one or two strikers in the league i'd have ahead of him.

Yesterday with two up top Origi done a lot of the donkey work, closing down space etc, he's one for the future and there is potential there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I thought Sturridge was fantastic yesterday.
    But still, we can't build a team around him as we can't expect him to be fit. But Klopps comments after the game were interesting, something like that this week Sturridge has been able to do all the training since Klopp has been here.
    If that can continue, we shouldn't even think about selling him. He was even buying into the Klopp way of running yesterday, he was everywhere in the top 2 thirds for the first 70 minutes. He was chasing down, running down channels, linking well with the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Such a shame Sturridge is injured the whole time. He'd be top scorer in the league I think with the likes of coutinho, firmino, mane, lallana etc supplying him the ammunition every week. Listening to him after in the interview as well, its hard not to feel for the guy with the injuries he's had the last two years. I know most of us make fun of him being 'Mr Glass' etc but I'd be on for keeping him next year after yesterday. He just offers us so much when he's fit. Who knows where we'd be in the league had he played/been available for maybe ten more games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    But still, we can't build a team around him as we can't expect him to be fit. But Klopps comments after the game were interesting, something like that this week Sturridge has been able to do all the training since Klopp has been here.
    If that can continue, we shouldn't even think about selling him. He was even buying into the Klopp way of running yesterday, he was everywhere in the top 2 thirds for the first 70 minutes. He was chasing down, running down channels, linking well with the others.

At 27, if he managed to lessen the injuries, get a good 6yrs out of him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'd be all for keeping Sturridge - once it doesn't stop us signing another striker.

We all know how good he can be when he's fit, but we also know just how rare that can be.

With the added games next season, we need to have options available. If we had a new starting striker, with Sturridge, Origi and Ings as back up (and Firmino, who would be starting somewhere else in this scenario) then it's a great position to be in.

Takes a bit of pressure off Origi and might let him develop rather than be thrown into the deep end and takes pressure off Sturridge and Ings and their respective injury issues.

But if those is Sturridge or another striker, rather than Sturridge and another striker, I'm not sure I'd be so keen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I'd be all for keeping Sturridge - once it doesn't stop us signing another striker.

We all know how good he can be when he's fit, but we also know just how rare that can be.

With the added games next season, we need to have options available. If we had a new starting striker, with Sturridge, Origi and Ings as back up (and Firmino, who would be starting somewhere else in this scenario) then it's a great position to be in.

Takes a bit of pressure off Origi and might let him develop rather than be thrown into the deep end and takes pressure off Sturridge and Ings and their respective injury issues.

But if those is Sturridge or another striker, rather than Sturridge and another striker, I'm not sure I'd be so keen.

Not there yet fella, :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

BrookieD wrote:
    Not there yet fella,

One way or another we are guaranteed a place in Europe next season. Whether it's Europa or Champions League

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

BrookieD wrote: »

Europa confirmed a few weeks back. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Agree with this. He's a better option that Origi or Ings are likely to be, and even if we got top dollar, I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in the club's ability to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Boom_Bap wrote: »

And that's the reason we need a new striker. Sturridge has been fully fit for one week in 18 months and, tbh, I expect him to be ruled out of the next match through injury.

I also expected him to lose a leg all the way through the match yesterday such has been his injury saga for the last 3 years.

Undoubtedly, he can be a great striker when he is fit but I fully expect Liverpool to accept a bid for him this Summer to remove his wages from the accounts. If we keep him, how many would expect he would be available for selection even half the games next year? I think we would be doing well to have him available for a quarter of the games.

Ok we haven't signed Luan now according to his club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Yesterday aside I would still accept a 30 million offer for sturridge. Ings would be gone aswell Imo. In fact I wouldn't be unhappy for Origi to leave either.

We need players who look like they can be for and score. None of the above fit that criteria.

I would however bring in Defoe on a free this summer. Would be a great option on the bench and playing some of the easier cup games.

We need a top class 20 league goals a season striker. A young striker with potential but looks like he will score goals and an experienced striker who we can rely on to lead the line under pressure. I wouldn't mind someone who is good in the air as well. 4 strikers I would be bringing in and don't care if we let our 3 current ones go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BrookieD wrote: »

We will be in the Europa if Arsenal pip us so loads of extra games.

• Advertisement

Ok we haven't signed Luan now according to his club.

I'm shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sturridge paid back his wages in full if he shoots us to CL . Sturridge has 8 goals and 2 assists in all competition this season, considering he has played literally minutes rather than games it's a decent return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

emmetkenny wrote: »
    We will be in the Europa if Arsenal pip us so loads of extra games.

No it would not in fact it would be the same amount of games as finishing 4th.

Only difference would be the 2 extra games for finishing 4th would be in August where as the 2 extra games for finishing 5th would be in Feb/Mar next year if Liverpool got out of the group stage

Get rid of Origi & Ings and bring in Defoe sometimes I really don't understand this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Get rid of Origi & Ings and bring in Defoe sometimes I really don't understand this thread.

Except Defoe has scored 15 goals compared to Origi who has 7 and Ings who Lets face it has had two serious injuries in the last 2 seasons and who may never become the plate we hoped he would.

Defoe on a free would be a great signing and a lot more reliable than the above two

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement