Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Defoe takes the pens for Sunderland

I'd be all for keeping Sturridge - once it doesn't stop us signing another striker.............

Indeed.
    Although with two years left on his contract he'll need to be sold this season or next. I can't see him getting another LFC contract or an extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Defoe takes the pens for Sunderland

So we would have another penalty taker when we are in cup comps is what you are telling me?

How many of those where pens? If it was less than 8 my point stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What Defoe do we need him for. We should buy the hottest striker in South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mr.H wrote: »
    Except Defoe has scored 15 goals compared to Origi who has 7 and Ings who Lets face it has had two serious injuries in the last 2 seasons and who may never become the plate we hoped he would.

Defoe on a free would be a great signing and a lot more reliable than the above two

Didn't we kind of fall for that trick already with Lambert. A solid back needed when the games pile up with Europe etc etc.

So we would have another penalty taker when we are in cup comps is what you are telling me?

How many of those where pens? If it was less than 8 my point stands

3 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What Defoe do we need him for. We should buy the hottest striker in South America.

I hear the temperature in Argentina can get quite high. We should probably start looking there.

Knex. wrote: »
    I hear the temperature in Argentina can get quite high. We should probably start looking there.

Some places can be Chile...........

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Defoe has played almost every minute of every game whereas Origi barely played until recently. Also Defoe isn't on a free this summer, Sunderland will get around £7m for him still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I reckon keep Ings, Origi and Sturridge even if we sign a new striker who knows how it will work out for them, We can then think about moving on one of them in January if things work out for the new guy, 4 players for one position may seem like overkill but would rather have them than be looking for them, we got seriously depleted by injuries this season and with all the extra games next season, a big squad is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No it would not in fact it would be the same amount of games as finishing 4th.

Only difference would be the 2 extra games for finishing 4th would be in August where as the 2 extra games for finishing 5th would be in Feb/Mar next year if Liverpool got out of the group stage

I'm referring to extra games over this year seeing as we will be playing in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Defoe has played almost every minute of every game whereas Origi barely played until recently. Also Defoe isn't on a free this summer, Sunderland will get around £7m for him still.

This Defoe talk is bonkers imo, hes done very well this season but I think we are well stocked in backup strikers, plus Klopp would never sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

dont think any of us would sell a fully fit sturidge,even with his top pace gone,but reliability is our problem with him, id swap origi for josh king tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This Defoe talk is bonkers imo, hes done very well this season but I think we are well stocked in backup strikers, plus Klopp would never sign him.

He is better than anything we have.

By a country mile.

I'd take him in a heartbeat provided he could be got for less than 15m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

dont think any of us would sell a fully fit sturidge,even with his top pace gone,but reliability is our problem with him, id swap origi for josh king tbh

Josh King is 100% a player we would have signed if Rodgers was still manager.

We'd have ended up with Charlie Taylor at left-back, Harry Maguire in the centre, King as a new attacker and someone like Michail Antonio and/or Oxlade-Chamberlain as our "big" signing.

Now, they're actually all decent players, it's just a little harder to predict who Klopp would target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

noodler wrote: »

By a country mile.

I'd take him in a heartbeat provided he could be got for less than 15m.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39897361

He's free - relegation release clause in his contract.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I believe that Origi has the most appearances for us this season, something like 47 or 48. I think that stat showed up during the game yesterday as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Josh King is 100% a player we would have signed if Rodgers was still manager.

We'd have ended up with Charlie Taylor at left-back, Harry Maguire in the centre, King as a new attacker and someone like Michail Antonio and/or Oxlade-Chamberlain as our "big" signing.

Now, they're actually all decent players, it's just a little harder to predict who Klopp would target.

In fairness to Rodgers he did sign Coutinho, Sturridge, Lallanna, Origi, Milner, Clyne and Can.
    All 4 goals yesterday came from Rodgers' signings.

Lovren for me was one of his worst signings that still gets picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Knex. wrote: »
    NukaCola wrote: »
    We need to monitor the hell out of Boyle and stay well away from Birr for all future Irish stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Well feck Origi and getting the 4th, had Sturridge and 3-0 scorecast at 40/1. However that was a humungous 3 points to get, delighted.

Unlucky. I won 100 bucks on the game yesterday - Liverpool to win both halves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

By a country mile.

I'd take him in a heartbeat provided he could be got for less than €1.5m.

FYP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Yeah buy Defoe, set up the team around him and let him take all the penalties just because "you need a 20 goal a year striker." In case you hadn't noticed, Liverpool have every chance of being the league's top scorers with (hopefully) a turkey shoot vs Boro to come on Sunday and have only lost one game more than the winners. That is not a team or squad in need of major surgery. I'd be happy with one marquee forward and a couple of mid-ranking signings to replace the likes of Klavan. Remember, if it wasn't for the double African Nations debacle of Mane AND Matip and Coutinho's injury we would probably still have been talking about a title attempt until very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

We have the likes of woodburn, origi, ings for the domestic cups next year.
    Let the likes of sturridge and our "big money marquee centre forward signing" battle it out for leading the line in the league / Europe.

Defoe is a great goal scorer but i dont think we need him to play secondary competition games and block the likes of woodburn, origi etc from learning their trade out on the pitch.

We've enough back up players, lets for once go and buy big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

We need to monitor the hell out of Boyle and stay well away from Birr for all future Irish stars.

We also need to monitor the bejaysus out of players in the hotter "Sunny South-East"

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not that it makes any difference at all, but are we the only team that Chelsea failed to beat in the league this season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nah mate, I don't Bolivia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5starpool wrote: »
    Not that it makes any difference at all, but are we the only team that Chelsea failed to beat in the league this season?

No difference? We won the Unbeaten by Chelsea Cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Really hope fsg break the bank and get us a big marquee striker or wide player. Love to try get aubameyang off dortmund

We should do that too but Defoe is free and probably on around the same as Ings or Origi anyway.

My point is we need around 4 strikers we can rely on and we currently have only sturridge that you would say is very likely to score if he plays.

We need people that we can stick in there and have confidence that if they get a chance they will score.

Defoe is just an example of someone who despite his age has outscored everyone at our club....... and is free!!

Did I mention he is free?😊

NukaCola wrote:
    3 I think.

Which means he still scored 12 goals compared to any of our strikers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I reckon keep Ings, Origi and Sturridge even if we sign a new striker who knows how it will work out for them, We can then think about moving on one of them in January if things work out for the new guy, 4 players for one position may seem like overkill but would rather have them than be looking for them, we got seriously depleted by injuries this season and with all the extra games next season, a big squad is needed.
    4 isn't overkill if two are injured a lot :thumbsup:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mane has 13, Coutinho has 12, Firmino has 11. We have more goals than anyone else in the league bar Chelsea.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39897361

He's free - relegation release clause in his contract.

That seals it for me.

Get in there.

Defoe played every game for Sunderland. He scored more but his strike rate is pretty similar to what we have.

I dont watch Sunderland play because I value my time so I dont know what he adds. Experience maybe. The ability to score at a similar rate as our other backups? Could he play in our front 3? Doubt he has the energy.

I have nothing against him, think he's a decent player, I would hope we'd go for a higher standard of player but I wouldn't exactly be raging if he was brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Aspas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

ush wrote: »
    Aspas?

Only if we re-sign him for a world record transfer fee :D

Modeste would be the man to bring in for me - experience and very efficient in his shots/goals ratio of those who play regularly. Better than just about anyone else in the BL right now.

Defoe played every game for Sunderland. He scored more but his strike rate is pretty similar to what we have.

I dont watch Sunderland play because I value my time so I dont know what he adds. Experience maybe. The ability to score at a similar rate as our other backups? Could he play in our front 3? Doubt he has the energy.

I have nothing against him, think he's a decent player, I would hope we'd go for a higher standard of player but I wouldn't exactly be raging if he was brought in.

Very unfair.

Playing for us will get you alot more chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Defoe would be insanity. I actually really like him as a player and a guy, but he's gonna be 35 only a few weeks into the new season.

He's a natural goalscorer, but he provides basically nothing else.
    As for goalscoring, he has 15 from 36 starts in the league including pens. Origi has 7 from 14 starts. He had plenty of sub appearances too admittedly, but we all know how little time Klopp gives his subs.

If we're going to have an experienced backup option like that, i'd actually rather Negredo or Llorente or even Mitrovic - options we don't have at the moment. Plenty of games this year we could really have done with the battering-ram type of option that we lost with Benteke. We shouldn't have that type of player as our starter, but I think we should have one in the squad. Especially for those occasions we find ourselves endlessly looping in crosses to no one with any chance of winning them.

I definitely wouldn't sell Origi - having just turned 22, he's waaaay too good for his age to let go. But if we end up really strengthening, he could do with a loan to play week in week out for one season. Only if we seriously strengthen though.

As expected Allan will spend next season at Hertha Berlin if they secure EL football. As things stand they will as Freiburg who could nip past them have to play Bayern in the final Buli game which means even if HB melt against Leverkusen it surely won't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As expected Allan will spend next season at Hertha Berlin if they secure EL football. As things stand they will as Freiburg who could nip past them have to play Bayern in the final Buli game which means even if HB melt against Leverkusen it surely won't matter.

He seems to be playing a bit more there recently, right? How far off the level required to be an option for us is he do you reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

ush wrote: »
    Aspas?

Nah. We can't be cutting corners in the transfer market this Summer.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He seems to be playing a bit more there recently, right? How far off the level required to be an option for us is he do you reckon?

Well I've watched a few HB games recently as he has got regular starts and he certainly hasn't looked out of place. Clearly another season of top level is needed and not just for the work permit points but playing as the shield he looks like he can do a job - he is rather small but then so is Javier Mascherano and it certainly didn't stop him! Unlike Masch Allan has a fairly cultured right foot, he can pick a through ball and is very mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Sturridge paid back his wages in full if he shoots us to CL . Sturridge has 8 goals and 2 assists in all competition this season, considering he has played literally minutes rather than games it's a decent return.

Nah totally disagree. Before Coutinho's contract he was the highest paid player at the club. If you think swanning in for the last 4 or 5 games and scoring some goals to ensure we make top 4 is his wages paid back in full you are crazy, especially when you consider if he had been fit all season we would most likely have been in a title race!
    It's like that scene from "Friends" when Ross and Rachel go to dinner with rachel's dad and he pays for the whole meal but Ross is disgusted with the tip size so leave's extra money as the tip. Sturridge is Ross is this analogy. sure is Sturridge scores a hat trick next week it will feel like he has repaid us but it really is the very very least we should be expecting from our highest paid player, the truth is that most of the hard work had been done already before Sturridge even showed up to play. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

According to this then - and no-one's surprised here - Sakho's out the door and we're looking for £30 million. Not sure he'll want to make Palace his home though. The same piece mentions VVD's probable departure to Chelsea. I do hope we have a quality CB lined up as part of our summer spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

mormank wrote: »
    Nah totally disagree. Before Coutinho's contract he was the highest paid player at the club. If you think swanning in for the last 4 or 5 games and scoring some goals to ensure we make top 4 is his wages paid back in full you are crazy, especially when you consider if he had been fit all season we would most likely have been in a title race!
    It's like that scene from "Friends" when Ross and Rachel go to dinner with rachel's dad and he pays for the whole meal but Ross is disgusted with the tip size so leave's extra money as the tip. Sturridge is Ross is this analogy. sure is Sturridge scores a hat trick next week it will feel like he has repaid us but it really is the very very least we should be expecting from our highest paid player, the truth is that most of the hard work had been done already before Sturridge even showed up to play. :mad:

I don't understand any of this. Friends? WTF? :confused::confused::(:D

Very unfair.

Playing for us will get you alot more chances.

Was it? Think it was a fair assessment. Getting more chances does not necessarily mean you can stand around and wait for them to fall to you. Ask Benteke how that worked out for him at Anfield. Playing for us also requires a forward to bust his balls, Defoe doesn't have the legs for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

We need a bigger squad going into next season and at the moment, we've only got 3 strikers (Sturridge could be on the move, Origi may never get any better and Ings is coming back from long term injury)...

We'll be playing in 4 competitions next season, lets not forget and that includes a few trips where the lads will have to show their passorts and catch a few Zzzzzzzzz's on the late night flights etc.

I think we need 4 senior strikers going into the new season, so I'm not saying we go for Defoe as our new No. 1 but as one of our squad, he's proven in the PL and he's on a free so the owners would be happy.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

mosstin wrote: »
    According to this then - and no-one's surprised here - Sakho's out the door and we're looking for £30 million. Not sure he'll want to make Palace his home though. The same piece mentions VVD's probable departure to Chelsea. I do hope we have a quality CB lined up as part of our summer spend.

He definitely suits the PL in terms of his strength, dominance in the air etc. We wont have any problems off-loading for that kind of money or near enough. Van Dyke to Chelsea, ouch I hope not

• Advertisement

How will Defoe help in breaking down a team that defends deep? Has Sunderland ever faced that problem?

Its not just about squad depth, it should be about solving problems also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement