Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

mosstin wrote: »
    I don't understand any of this. Friends? WTF? :confused::confused::(:D

Well forget that part then. The point is that most of the hard work has already been done without Sturridge. For anyone to suggest that if he scores some goals in the last 2 games of the season after the season he has had he has repaid his wages in full is complete nonsense, especially when you consider that had he been fit all season we would probably have been in a title race, not a top 4 race in the first place! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have to say, I think now is the time to sell Sturridge. His reputation got a nice little boost, and the English media (and general footballing consciousness it seems) has a very short memory - what's just happened seems more important than information gathered over time.

But for all his sharpness, he WILL spend half the season injureed, and he HAS lost most of his pace. He still has the cleverness to buy himself the space, like for his goal, but better defending with someone actually standing on him will nullify that. West Ham were just awful with their marking.

Just really think we could see ourselves regretting the missed chance of selling him for a high price right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

garra wrote: »
    He definitely suits the PL in terms of his strength, dominance in the air etc. We wont have any problems off-loading for that kind of money or near enough. Van Dyke to Chelsea, ouch I hope not

It would cement their status as a team full of dicks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

The business end of premiership will get a lot tougher next year. Spurs can keep their form going. City should improve. Chelsea will spend. Arsenal will get rid of you-know-who. United might find their stride under the other you-know-who.  
    I don't buy this idea that LFC needs a few players for a few problem positions. I'm not saying they've over performed this season, but next season will be tougher on all fronts. All of the buys have to be quality. We got away with some fairly ordinary recruitments in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

One striker I'd love to see us go for is Lacazette. Still free-scoring for Lyon like he was last season, will be very surprised (shocked even) if he isn't snapped up by someone this summer. Now is really the time to get him, the year he's had has a similar vibe to the season Aubameyang had prior to the Dortmund move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Glico Man wrote: »
    One striker I'd love to see us go for is Lacazette. Still free-scoring for Lyon like he was last season, will be very surprised (shocked even) if he isn't snapped up by someone this summer. Now is really the time to get him, the year he's had has a similar vibe to the season Aubameyang had prior to the Dortmund move.

He looks to be on his way to Atletico unfortunately. Would've loved him at LFC too, he's absolutely clinical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NukaCola wrote: »
    How will Defoe help in breaking down a team that defends deep? Has Sunderland ever faced that problem?

Its not just about squad depth, it should be about solving problems also.

In fairness, he wouldn't have much defending to do if he was coming on in the last 10 to 15 minutes. The ball would be in around the box and, at 35, Defoe is an injury free goal scorer and by all accounts a consummate professional.

If he can score 12 goals from play in a team as poor at attacking as Sunderland, i think he should merit consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

In fairness, he wouldn't have much defending to do if he was coming on in the last 10 to 15 minutes. The ball would be in around the box and, at 35, Defoe is an injury free goal scorer and by all accounts a consummate professional.

If he can score 12 goals from play in a team as poor at attacking as Sunderland, i think he should merit consideration.

I'm just wondering can he help with breaking down defence's that sit deep. I honestly have seen very little of him, his close control and shooting accuracy was decent when I did, and maybe that helps us but I'm not sure. For free its a decent option dont get me wrong I just dont see him fixing any of our problems in breaking teams down or providing us with a different way of playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Well I've watched a few HB games recently as he has got regular starts and he certainly hasn't looked out of place. Clearly another season of top level is needed and not just for the work permit points but playing as the shield he looks like he can do a job - he is rather small but then so is Javier Mascherano and it certainly didn't stop him! Unlike Masch Allan has a fairly cultured right foot, he can pick a through ball and is very mobile.

Isn't he left footed though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Have to say, I think now is the time to sell Sturridge. His reputation got a nice little boost, and the English media (and general footballing consciousness it seems) has a very short memory - what's just happened seems more important than information gathered over time.

But for all his sharpness, he WILL spend half the season injureed, and he HAS lost most of his pace. He still has the cleverness to buy himself the space, like for his goal, but better defending with someone actually standing on him will nullify that. West Ham were just awful with their marking.

Just really think we could see ourselves regretting the missed chance of selling him for a high price right now.

Do we need the money though? We should be able to spend 100-150m without even selling a player, tbh.

I think its a matter of trade offs. If someone comes in and offers mad money, 25-30m, then absolutely. But if the offers are 15m or so, is the money we make really worth moving him on without having an established striker to fully take the mantle?

• Advertisement

ush wrote: »
    The business end of premiership will get a lot tougher next year. Spurs can keep their form going. City should improve. Chelsea will spend. Arsenal will get rid of you-know-who. United might find their stride under the other you-know-who.  
    I don't buy this idea that LFC needs a few players for a few problem positions. I'm not saying they've over performed this season, but next season will be tougher on all fronts. All of the buys have to be quality. We got away with some fairly ordinary recruitments in the summer.

I would never call Mané, Wij or Matip ordinary.......very harsh assessment.....unless you mean they looked ordinary at the time and we got lucky they turned out so well?

I don't understand any of this. Friends? WTF? :confused::confused::(:D
    THEY WERE ON A BREAK!!!!...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Knex. wrote: »

YES! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

NukaCola wrote: »

I would never call Mané, Wij or Matip ordinary.......very harsh assessment.....unless you mean they looked ordinary at the time and we got lucky they turned out so well?
    Where did I call them ordinary? 
    I was thinking the keeper who was meant to replace Mignolet and that Baltic defender. They got away will no regular left back and with binning a central defender after the summer tour. 
    Sturridge even if he stays needs replacing (injuries will never end). Coutinho could be half way out the door.

THEY WERE ON A BREAK!!!!...:pac:

I don't understand that either. :mad:

Do we need the money though? We should be able to spend 100-150m without even selling a player, tbh.

I think its a matter of trade offs. If someone comes in and offers mad money, 25-30m, then absolutely. But if the offers are 15m or so, is the money we make really worth moving him on without having an established striker to fully take the mantle?

If it was just the up front cost, keeping him wouldn't bother me too much, but he's on absolute superstar wages. Just think it's very hard to justify a guy who plays that little, earning that much. And now might be the only time we could actually offload him to a midtable team that are willing to stump up those wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Do you know what to do if you get stung by a jellyfish?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

martyos121 wrote: »
    He looks to be on his way to Atletico unfortunately. Would've loved him at LFC too, he's absolutely clinical.

If he's going there then that probably means Griezeman is leaving, quite likely to utd unfortunately. One of the most annoying aspects about that (right up there with him being good) is that stupid hand celebration thing he does.

5starpool wrote: »
    If he's going there then that probably means Griezeman is leaving, quite likely to utd unfortunately. One of the most annoying aspects about that (right up there with him being good) is that stupid hand celebration thing he does.

Agreed, but it did result in a pretty great ad to be fair:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Well I've watched a few HB games recently as he has got regular starts and he certainly hasn't looked out of place. Clearly another season of top level is needed and not just for the work permit points but playing as the shield he looks like he can do a job - he is rather small but then so is Javier Mascherano and it certainly didn't stop him! Unlike Masch Allan has a fairly cultured right foot, he can pick a through ball and is very mobile.

Allan is all left foot

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »

Yeah Griezmann almost certainly gone alright... not so sure that Utd will get him though. Apparently he doesn't fancy England too much, and wants to get to Real.. wouldn't be surprised to see a stop gap move between Atleti and Real if he doesn't go direct.

Yeah Griezmann almost certainly gone alright... not so sure that Utd will get him though. Apparently he doesn't fancy England too much, and wants to get to Real.. wouldn't be surprised to see a stop gap move between Atleti and Real if he doesn't go direct.

That's what Aguero's move to Man City was supposed to be and he's still there (unfortunately). I think it's inevitable Griezmann ends up at United and stays there for a long time.

That's what Aguero's move to Man City was supposed to be and he's still there (unfortunately). I think it's inevitable Griezmann ends up at United and stays there for a long time.

That's almost exactly the reason I could see him not going to Utd. Once he signs, they're too rich to ever let him leave unless it's on their terms. It basically rules out any other aspirations he might ever have.

That's almost exactly the reason I could see him not going to Utd. Once he signs, they're too rich to ever let him leave unless it's on their terms. It basically rules out any other aspirations he might have.

The reason I think he will go is that he can earn more money at United right now than at Real. He can earn better contracts over time with Madrid but United is a guaranteed payday for him and we don't really know what type of person he is and if the status of being a Galactico means more to him than an instant payout. If he does go to Madrid this summer, I really hope we pounce on whatever player he pushes out. It's probably not going to be Isco anymore but we should be all over Morata. He would solve so many of our problems and he's built well for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Damien360

Agreed, but it did result in a pretty great ad to be fair:

:pac:

Never seen that before. Brilliantly funny

YES! :mad:
    Allan is all left foot

Can't an old man do "a Boggles" and get away with it? No. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think of it more like The Matrix, at some point a few years ago we took the red pill and were exposed to the reality of fragile body parts and sh!t performances. His goal yesterday was like the blue pill for a lot of people and they were plugged back in to the world of world class Daniel, second only to Aguero in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

NukaCola wrote:
    Defoe played every game for Sunderland. He scored more but his strike rate is pretty similar to what we have.

That's completely wrong.

Defoe has 15 goals in 36 games

Origi has 7 in 33

That is nowhere near the same

Do you know what to do if you get stung by a jellyfish?

Yes. Don't run or try to outpace them as they can move faster than you. Or is that grizzly bears? Jesus, I'm all confused today.

• Advertisement

De Foe 3233 36 36 0 2 0 15

Origi 1449 33 14 19 9 23 7

Pretty much similar goals per minutes played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Mr.H wrote: »
    That's completely wrong.

Origi has 7 in 33

Someone already broke down the difference in terms of starts and appearances off the bench up above.

Not working Harry, first one got me through to a dry cleaners in Pyongyang.

Second one got me through to Babelcopter Rentals Inc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

NukaCola wrote:
    I'm just wondering can he help with breaking down defence's that sit deep. I honestly have seen very little of him, his close control and shooting accuracy was decent when I did, and maybe that helps us but I'm not sure. For free its a decent option dont get me wrong I just dont see him fixing any of our problems in breaking teams down or providing us with a different way of playing.

I'd merely see Defoe as a 3ed choice striker. We need a first choice top quality and a young prodigy. After that I'd have Defoe and another option type striker. Someone good in the air

Yes. Don't run or try to outpace them as they can move faster than you. Or is that grizzly bears? Jesus, I'm all confused today.
    WBrBsZO.jpg

Just so you know how to treat bears:D

That's completely wrong.

Origi has 7 in 33

I should have been more clear. Harry and Corwill summed it up for me. Goals per minute is what I meant by strike rate.

• Advertisement

Where did I call them ordinary? 
    I was thinking the keeper who was meant to replace Mignolet and that Baltic defender. They got away will no regular left back and with binning a central defender after the summer tour. 
    Sturridge even if he stays needs replacing (injuries will never end). Coutinho could be half way out the door.

Ah, took you up wrong.......apologies....

Not working Harry, first one got me through to a dry cleaners in Pyongyang.

Second one got me through to Babelcopter Rentals Inc.

Ha, I've only laughed properly once today!

and it wasn't at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

After reading this thread today I'm ready for the Twin Peak revival this weekend.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Suso has got 6 goals in 19 appearances for Genoa this season (Serie A) on the back of 39 and 7 for Milan last season. Still only 23, which is hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

https://twitter.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/864170029922824192

Dirk leading Feyenoord supporters with a YNWA today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I don't want to see any stop gap signings.

Against Burnley ,Swansea,Sunderland or crystal palace I can't see Defoe scoring against a 6-4-1 formation .

I think we should kind of copy real Madrid in the way one full back goes forward( Marcelo) maybe dembele, and the other stays back clyne(carvahal)

We also need to improve on our set pieces big time , a physical presence is needed in our team. The pl best teams always have defenders that have big impacts and win u points (skrtel,wes Morgan, Cahill,Ramos)

We need a destroyer dm that just picks a simple pass doesn't have to be playmaker as well. (Kante,matic, casemiro,mascherano,Roy Keane Nigel de jong) we can have coutinho and lallana picking passes and making runs,

We need a striker that has natural instinct. Like ronlado who just has great positional awareness and just has to score tap ins that don't look great but are effective(morata, lewandowski, higuain, benzema,Diego Costa, ) these aren't ultra fast but have a decent touch, can hold play up, can head the ball and shoot ...accurately.

Then another who can play in any of the midfield position preferably on the wing (like Douglas Costa hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we had two fit strikers for the season I wouldn't have been surprised if we had played the 442 diamond against the bottom half teams like the West Ham game.

Sadly the only real fit striker we did have all season for Origi who is also better playing with a partner up front and not part of a 433.

I can see us playing the 433 against team that come to play against us next season and a 442 diamond against those who sit in.

Of course that would only happen if we sign a out and out striker.

That's completely wrong.

Origi has 7 in 33

That's totally disingenuous. You're equating what often amounted to 2 minutes on the pitch with full 90 minute appearances.

As was pointed out, per start, Origi has a better record. And per minute, they're quite similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pretty much similar goals per minutes played

Credit card numbers...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Why are people here debating Defoe?

We'll have money to spend this summer, and no need to scrape the bargain buckets.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are people here debating Defoe?

We'll have money to spend this summer, and no need to scrape the bargain buckets.

Because we're all so very well Red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Also think it would be wise to sell Sturridge this season, he has been a great goalscorer for the club and he is incredibly talented, in fact we will struggle to sign a replacement who is as talented. However, he is far too injury prone to rely on and whilst he is in the squad I think there will be a resistance from Klopp to sign another top class forward. If we have Firmino, Sturridge & Origi here next season I can't see us bringing in a top class forward, but as we have seen this season that trio doesn't offer enough and the reason is because Sturridge can't be relied upon.

I was delighted to see him score yesterday and it would be great if he scored again this weekend to fire us to the Champions League, but selling him this summer is our last chance of getting a decent fee for him IMO (cue him banging in 30 goals next season).

Impressed with Watford's spirit and fight tonight. Maybe they'll give Man City a tough game and cost them points and help us get third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Defoe will make chances for himself.

He will finish more of the chances he gets.

I'm not entertaining anything that tries to say Origi is anywhere near as clinical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Also think it would be wise to sell Sturridge this season, he has been a great goalscorer for the club and he is incredibly talented, in fact we will struggle to sign a replacement who is as talented. However, he is far too injury prone to rely on and whilst he is in the squad I think there will be a resistance from Klopp to sign another top class forward. If we have Firmino, Sturridge & Origi here next season I can't see us bringing in a top class forward, but as we have seen this season that trio doesn't offer enough and the reason is because Sturridge can't be relied upon.

I was delighted to see him score yesterday and it would be great if he scored again this weekend to fire us to the Champions League, but selling him this summer is our last chance of getting a decent fee for him IMO (cue him banging in 30 goals next season).

I'd rather too many strikers than too few. That competition is good too amongst them. I remember reading somewhere that you should have 5 good strikers.

Well, we have Origi, Ings, Firmino and Sturridge. Firmino isnt really a striker Ings is a question mark and Origi is still not quite there. I wouldnt sell Sturridge, he is still only 27 and should be coming into his prime.

Provided we dont throw it away V Boro, we will be in the Premier League, the Champions League, the FA Cup and League Cup. That's a lot of matches and there will always be injuries and suspensions.

We still need that bit of depth. I question though if Klopp as a manager likes to have big squads. I think he prefers to keep a tight bunch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement