Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5starpool wrote: »
    You said that last week, an how did that work out, eh?

Yes, I was in a minority of being confident about last Sunday as this place convinced itself that Liverpool would lose.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I wish I had that confidence about Liverpool at Anfield against teams we should be beating :o

Middlesbrough relegated already and nothing to play for against Liverpool with everything to play for.

They won't blow this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, I was in a minority of being confident about last Sunday as this place convinced itself that Liverpool would lose.

Middlesbrough relegated already and nothing to play for against Liverpool with everything to play for.

They won't blow this.

I have to say that I'm leaning towards this line of thought than anything else. West Ham was the big one.

I'm looking forward to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

This Defoe/Origi debate is really bizarre. Can you imagine either of them in the Chelsea squad? Neither of them is good enough, look elsewhere if the ambition really is to win the league under Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Very confident Liverpool will beat Boro. It's not easy for lesser teams to come to Anfield and get a result - it can be done, but they need to work REAL hard to nullify our attack. Do Boro have the required mind set for this, when they're already down? More likely they'll want to enjoy their last PL game, come out and have a go, maybe score a goal or two. Prediction: 3-1 Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Stop with all the positivity for next Sunday. We need pessimism in buckets. That's how we'll win the game, no expectations = success for us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Milkers wrote: »
    This Defoe/Origi debate is really bizarre. Can you imagine either of them in the Chelsea squad? Neither of them is good enough, look elsewhere if the ambition really is to win the league under Klopp.

How good are Chelsea's backup strikers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Very confident Liverpool will beat Boro. It's not easy for lesser teams to come to Anfield and get a result - it can be done, but they need to work REAL hard to nullify our attack. Do Boro have the required mind set for this, when they're already down? More likely they'll want to enjoy their last PL game, come out and have a go, maybe score a goal or two. Prediction: 3-1 Liverpool

An early goal is key. The likes of Gibson will probably be putting himself in the shop window, not least for Klopp's attention.

The bastard in me (i.e. me) thinks big, noisy leaked bids for half their backline on Friday evening might be worth considering. Could always withdraw them on the Monday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Milkers wrote: »

Origi would probably be a better striker than Batshuayi at the moment who has 1 goal in 18 appearances for Chelsea

Chelsea have pretty much had Hazard and Costa available for every game this season and had to rely very little on their bench.

The way we play that is never going to be likely we run the legs off our forwards , play a more attacking style with more forwards on the pitch

Stop with all the positivity for next Sunday. We need pessimism in buckets. That's how we'll win the game, no expectations = success for us!!

Feck that. I've had enough cynicism and pessimism for a lifetime. I want the place to be absolutely bouncing come kick off. Real festival like atmosphere.

We're going in there, professional as you like, and we're going to batter them. Anfield and every bar with any semblance of a Liverpool contingent should be buzzing. Greet the bus outside Anfield, ramp the noise up to that of the Europa League knockout stages last year, or the title run in a few years ago.

Time we got the big boy pants on now and bring in a new age of success and expectation at this Club. This could be a real turning point for Liverpool and Klopp. A pivotal moment that we look back on in a few years as the laying of the foundations for ushering in a new period of European and Domestic relevancy.

We couldn't ask for a better situation. At home, in front of 55,000 fans, our European faith totally within our own hands, and against Middlesbrough. ****ing already relegated Middlesbrough at that. I hate Middlesbrough. Have always ****ing hated them.

Lets batter them and get this show on the road.

https://twitter.com/jacklusby_/status/864108233350410240

Think this highlights both sides of Sturridge well. The positive impact he has when fit and starting, but also the fact that he has started two games in 5 months.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Feck that. I've had enough cynicism and pessimism for a lifetime. I want the place to be absolutely bouncing come kick off. Real festival like atmosphere.

We're going in there, professional as you like, and we're going to batter them. Anfield and every bar with any semblance of a Liverpool contingent should be buzzing. Greet the bus outside Anfield, ramp the noise up to that of the Europa League knockout stages last year, or the title run in a few years ago.

Time we got the big boy pants on now and bring in a new age of success and expectation at this Club. This could be a real turning point for Liverpool and Klopp. A pivotal moment that we look back on in a few years as the laying of the foundations for ushering in a new period of European and Domestic relevancy.

We couldn't ask for a better situation. At home, in front of 55,000 fans, our European faith totally within our own hands, and against Middlesbrough. ****ing already relegated Middlesbrough at that. I hate Middlesbrough. Have always ****ing hated them.

Lets batter them and get this show on the road.

That's what I want too, trust me! Just the pessimism worked a treat for us last weekend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Congrats, Paddy, you're in the right thread for it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just saw City are looking to offload Nolito for a small fee, hasn't had a good year there but he's a decent player. Wouldn't mind the likes of him to have on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Boro will hammer us so badly next Sunday that the FA will put forward a motion to relegate us instead of them.

Am I doing it right?

martyos121 wrote: »
    Boro will hammer us so badly next Sunday that the FA will put forward a motion to relegate us instead of them.

Am I doing it right?

Attaboy! :D:D

Liverpool's league results at Anfield this season

Leicester 4-1
    Hull 5-1
    Man U 0-0
    West Brom 2-1
    Watford 6-1
    Sunderland 2-0
    West Ham 2-2
    Stoke 4-1
    Man C 1-0
    Swansea 2-3
    Chelsea 1-1
    Spurs 2-0
    Arsenal 3-1
    Burnley 2-1
    Everton 3-1
    Bournemouth 2-2
    Crystal Palace 1-2
    Southampton 0-0

Win 11 Drew 5 Lost 2

Jaysus, knew it was bad but had forgotten one or two of those results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah and even if we do somehow finish fourth, we'll screw up the play-off and be dumped into the Europa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jaysus, knew it was bad but had forgotten one or two of those results

Looks great to me
    Two blips that in fairness were down to individual errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

City away to Watford....that will not be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

If you could pick 1 team to lose tonight, who would it be Arsenal or City.

An Arsenal loss guarantee's fourth right now.

A City loss means a win on Sunday gets us third spot and straight into the group stages.

Hard to pick, Head says Arsenal, Heart says City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ebbsy wrote: »

and West Brom tonight

A City loss means a win on Sunday gets us third spot and straight into the group stages.

Arsenal hands down surely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ebbsy wrote:

Hope I'm jinxing it but they lost the last 5 games. It certainly won't be hard.

Looks great to me
    Two blips that in fairness were down to individual errors.

Some of those draws were also blips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Exactly. Guarantee 4th first and then hope the weekend matches go our way 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hopefully Liverpool's summer target can increase his chances scoring a few tonight V Arsenal :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I would say city not to win, with a slightly different formation and confidence building you would have to think we will win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's still a good question. I like a bit of a risk, so I'll say City. Actually, City can more than handle not making CL, I would be interested on how the fallout for Arsenal would benefit us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I want to say City so much but I have to go for Arsenal. I'd fancy us against any team not called Southampton over two legs in a playoff, it suits us and it's why Klopp has always done well in the knockout stages in European competitions.

Besides, City are more likely to drop points to Watford away than to West Brom at home, so Sunday is our real chance to pip them to third, not that it's likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Both to lose will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Anybody keep an update of that alternative table that used to be making the rounds out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Which one? the RAWK one? Up to game 36

proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FqzBT5ab.png&hash=62658567600b394273decc0ccb30ae6c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Be shocked if either city or arsenal were to drop points tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

A City loss would the option for me. Everything is in our hands once we win on Sunday so i'd rather a win on Sunday meant 3rd spot rather than fourth. If we don't beat Boro, then we'd only have ourselves to blame if we missed out on top four altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

noodler wrote: »
    I think we have got a little sidetracked talking about Origi - originally alot of the point was just that Defoe would score more and would be free.

No harm in both.

Looking at our striking options as being Firmino, Sturridge, Ings, Origi, Defoe would make me contemplate suicide.

Firmino should be the backup striker in the squad, with most of his games coming as a 2nd striker.
    Origi should be third/fourth choice, cup and utility wide player.
    Ings would be a reserve, probably to be sold in January if he's bored.

Before that we need a starting CF and either a winger or another wide forward who could do a job up front if necessary.

There's a world of differnce between having 2 options up front and another 2 who are perma-crocks, vs having 4 options who are actually all viable and contribute all the time.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Sturridge will never be as good as he was. Even if he managed to stay fit, it looks like his pace of 3 years ago is gone and isn't coming back. Like Owen, he has to adapt his game to match, and while he'll always score goals because he's a natural finisher, he won't ever be able to do what he could before. Putting the ball into space and letting him outpace the defenders is how he made his name. That's gone.

It was nice to see him stand your man up on the right hand side for the fourth goal. That was him showing a direct threat and vintage Sturridge. Vintage Torres for that matter.
    Exactly what we've missed all season, with only Mane providing anything like it.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Coutinho is having a great season. Had an out of form spell plus 2 months injured.
    He would have at least 15 PL goals surely if he didn't injure his ankle. Still only 24 as well.

Everyone misses games.
    Lads racking up 25+ goals/assists a season do it while missing games.
    That's the standards our top attackers need to be reaching.
    Knex. wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jacklusby_/status/864108233350410240

Think this highlights both sides of Sturridge well. The positive impact he has when fit and starting, but also the fact that he has started two games in 5 months.

West Ham didn't play like most of the teams we faced in that time though.

It's encouraging up to a point but we did have moments where we could've and should've been pegged back and one game against a team on the beach isn't evidence of much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Just saw City are looking to offload Nolito for a small fee, hasn't had a good year there but he's a decent player. Wouldn't mind the likes of him to have on the bench.

would prefer lucas perez off arsenal, never got a run and always looked good when he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

How would people feel about the same diamond system we played at West Ham, only with Firmino and Mane up front together? I think it could work.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

How would people feel about the same diamond system we played at West Ham, only with Firmino and Mane up front together? I think it could work.

Nah, Mane won't be mobile enough while injured.
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

O feel as though we played at the start of the season as coutinho dropped back and mane pushed forward .only difference was couti and lallana positions swapped and wijnaldum other side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Gbear wrote: »
    Looking at our striking options as being Firmino, Sturridge, Ings, Origi, Defoe would make me contemplate suicide.

Firmino should be the backup striker in the squad, with most of his games coming as a 2nd striker.

Before that we need a starting CF and either a winger or another wide forward who could do a job up front if necessary.

There's a world of differnce between having 2 options up front and another 2 who are perma-crocks, vs having 4 options who are actually all viable and contribute all the time.

It was nice to see him stand your man up on the right hand side for the fourth goal. That was him showing a direct threat and vintage Sturridge. Vintage Torres for that matter.
    Exactly what we've missed all season, with only Mane providing anything like it.

Everyone misses games.
    Lads racking up 25+ goals/assists a season do it while missing games.
    That's the standards our top attackers need to be reaching.

West Ham didn't play like most of the teams we faced in that time though.

It's encouraging up to a point but we did have moments where we could've and should've been pegged back and one game against a team on the beach isn't evidence of much.

Well yeah, it happens. West Ham had the chance to stop Spur's winning the league the previous week so naturally tried harder in their game against them than us. That's the nature of rivalries. Would you care to explain why we met a resiliant, well drilled Southampton a couple of weeks ago while the very next game Southampton rolled over for Arsenal?

While I am at it, I know it's not Liverpool related but this is the only thread I frequent. Why is Conte not being fined for not playing his best side last game when Mick McCarthy (or maybe it was Ian Holloway) was fined a few seasons ago for strategically playing a weaker side against Utd I think it was to keep his team fresh for the next game that he felt he could win?
    Mourinho apparently said the other day that he hopes everything is resolved before their last game against Palace cos he is playing the kids and he doesn't care what anyone says, which got me thinking about this point. Sides often rest lots of players in the last few games which can end up affecting other team's battles for relegation, top 4 etc yet nobody ever seems to care for some reason.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »

Yeah, I wouldn't count Firmino and I wouldn't count on Ings.

So need a main striker, orgi, Sturridge and Defoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

When was the last time Klopp played coutinho further back? I remember him playing there under Rodgers and being immense. Just wondering why it wasn't tried when we were beyond crap at breaking teams down. I don't ever want to see coutinho further up against teams that will sit back.

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    When was the last time Klopp played coutinho further back? I remember him playing there under Rodgers and being immense. Just wondering why it wasn't tried when we were beyond crap at breaking teams down. I don't ever want to see coutinho further up against teams that will sit back.

Pretty sure he played there a fair bit when Mane was fit?

Or am I losing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Im prediciting Arsenal just flat out fail here. 0-0.

Would we be confident of outscoring city if it finished 0-0 there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So Sunderland and West Brom seal straightforward away wins tonight and we've qualified for CL tonight and chasing 3rd place on Sunday.

Bound to happen isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

noodler wrote:
    Pretty sure he played there a fair bit when Mane was fit?

noodler wrote:
    Or am I losing it?

Did he? More likely I'm losing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't count Firmino and I wouldn't count on Ings.

So need a main striker, orgi, Sturridge and Defoe.

I hate that people consider Firmino a striker. I mean he can score goals but he is not a striker. He is an attacker who can score but I wouldnt rely on him in a one on one for the most part.

I would have Sturridge and Ings gone this summer and would consider selling Origi (I wouldnt care if he went or not)

That would mean we would have no actual strikers on the books. Which is why I would take Defoe. Not as a first or even second choice but he would be a great 3rd choice. That means we would need to sign a top quality striker, someone like Lacazette, Cavani etc. and a up and young (but should easily fight for a first team spot) striker in the ilk of Werner or Belotti.

None of these names are suggestions by the way. Not even Defoe. I am just stating that these are teh type of signing we need.

That includes an experienced striker who can be a super sub when needed or help out younger players when we need level heads.

We lack experienced players and leaders so fixing that is as important as anything

I don't think there's any point playing Coutinho further back without having someone like Sturridge up top to make those runs.

Mane might be able to provide a similar outlet, though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Arsenal doing an Arsenal here. Another poor first half but they have been great in the second half recently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement