Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

murpho999 wrote: »
    So Sakho is rejected by Klopp and most likely signed by Crystal Palace who were almost relegated.

Whilst van Dijk is on the radar of the top clubs, most likely going to the champions Chelsea, and you still think Sakho is better?

Celtic fan or what?

PSG, Liverpool and France. It's not hard to see why his experience trumps Celtic and Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

martyos121 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/feyenoord_int/status/864857987718012928

One of my favourite players to ever pull on a Liverpool shirt. Don't care that his trophy haul with us wasn't bigger, he was an absolute legend for the club and I'm sure the same will be said of him at Feyenoord.

Dank je Dirk. :)

Absolutely love him. Definitely right up there at the top of my all time favourite players. Did everything that was ever asked of him, played any position, and always left everything on the field. Even the fact that his wife stayed working as a nurse until they had kids... speaks very well of their mentality.

But he wasn't just a likable workhorse, there was no better man to come up with clutch goals for us. I'll never forget the Portsmouth cameo, where he came off the bench when we were chasing the title, and changed the game completely. And the vital late winner against Standard Liege to get us into the Champions League.

Speaking of which - Dirk Kuyt scored for us in every round of the Champions League. From qualifiers, right through to - and including - the final. Not many players can say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Mazzarri to leave Watford - any hope of a final day flurry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Couldn't trap bag of cement, more shins than a Tokyo phone book but ran to the last whistle, scored some big goals including two hat-tricks which will go down in Liverpool and Feyenoord legend and clearly a very good fella.

The ultimate "Dirk Kuyt match" he played for Holland in Brazil against Mexico.
    For the first time in his career he was positioned as a left back, the part of the pitch which was in the full sun. The full, hot as hell sun of Forteleza (it hit 37 degrees during the match) he ran his socks off.
    And then it was half time and Kuyt was asked to change position.
    He now was right back so he again ended up in that bloody hot sun and had to run for another 45 minutes in 37 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dirk kuyt would go down as probably one of my all time favorite players in a red shirt. Not the most gifted but his attitude, commitment and work-rate was second to none. And always scored a big goal.

One of my personal favorites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

My best memory of Kuyt was his debut. I just remember he had a wickedly powerful shot and he was just thumping the ball at goal from everywhere (near the half way line), and this on his debut. What have we here? Was pretty exciting at the time.

He was a great player. Not particularly excellent at any one thing, but with massive heart and enthusiasm. He was kind of like the peoples player because you felt that 'yeah, that's how hard I would try if I played for Liverpool' - give it everything.

He did score some great goals too and, as has been pointed out, was a big game player. Awesome to see him go out in style, winning the league as Captain of Feyenoord, and getting the plaudits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Fekkin dust gets everywhere:o

This guy is one of my favourite players ever to put on the shirt. Plenty had more success and more talent but not a single player that I can remember playing for us left everything out there on the pitch. He remains a colossus for me anyway.

Dirk Kuyt, I salute you.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

noodler wrote: »
    Celtic fan or what?

PSG, Liverpool and France. It's not hard to see why his experience trumps Celtic and Southampton.

No, I never watch Celtic.

Van Dijk like a lot of players has career progression and has gone from Groningen ( as did Luis Suarez) to Celtic and to Southampton, which is pretty good

To follow your logic then Mane, Clyne, Lallana and Lovren should not be playing for us. Although I would agree about Lovren.

He is strongly linked with Chelsea so why do you think he wouldn't be good enough for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-sessegnon-summer-transfer-moreno-13051868?service=responsive

Echo update on transfer plans...

Moreno out, Sessegnon in.
    Interest in Robertson is not going to be followed up.
    Keita and Van Dijk are the top top targets, but depends on CL football.
    Brandt and Pulisic are off the table too. Former wants to stay at Leverkusen, latter has signed a new deal at Dortmund (few months ago I think).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-sessegnon-summer-transfer-moreno-13051868?service=responsive

Brandt and Pulisic are off the table too. Former wants to stay at Leverkusen, latter has signed a new deal at Dortmund (few months ago I think).

interesting stuff. Fair play to Brandt obviously values his place in the german national side and with the world cup coming up knows that he will get the game time at leverkusen. Not many young players with that sense these days.

I just hope the club have a good winger lined up. Salah again is mentioned and is still only 24 years of age (i thought he was older) and would be a good signing. Pace, trickery and scores plenty of goals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

mormank wrote: »
    Carlsberg don't do ends to football careers...but if they did :D ^^^^^

So happy for him. Was never the most talented player in our team but nobody ever outworked or outfought him.

One of my all time favorites :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The lack of rumours linking us with a first team quality striker is already worrying me. Maybe Klopp's theory is that by signing another high quality winger, the chances of having to move Firmino out wide will diminish, but I still want another centre forward who can compete for his place. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we should be breaking the bank for Morata. He's young, talented, strong and most importantly, available. Lacazette is the only other clear option and he's more than likely already agreed to join Atletico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The lack of rumours linking us with a first team quality striker is already worrying me. Maybe Klopp's theory is that by signing another high quality winger, the chances of having to move Firmino out wide will diminish, but I still want another centre forward who can compete for his place. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we should be breaking the bank for Morata. He's young, talented, strong and most importantly, available. Lacazette is the only other clear option and he's more than likely already agreed to join Atletico.
    A few stories linking us with Timo Werner, 21 goals in 31 games for RB Leipzig, 21yo CF who can also play either wing.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If we finish 4th, good guide to us being seeded or not in the qualifier. Looks more likely we will than not, but still all TBC with plenty of variables.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/games-across-europe-decide-liverpools-13047628

Werner would be great, works well on the left wing and up front, two positions we could do with. I can't imagine it'll be cheap to pry himself and Keita from Leipzig though, if we could only get one I'd want Keita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Werner would be great, works well on the left wing and up front, two positions we could do with. I can't imagine it'll be cheap to pry himself and Keita from Leipzig though, if we could only get one I'd want Keita.

What sort of player is Keita?

Never paid attention to Van Dijk before this season tbh.

Is he the real deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

A few stories linking us with Timo Werner, 21 goals in 31 games for RB Leipzig, 21yo CF who can also play either wing.

Haven't seen much of him but apparently would be a great fit for us from those who have.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

5starpool wrote:
    If we finish 4th, good guide to us being seeded or not in the qualifier. Looks more likely we will than not, but still all TBC with plenty of variables.

3rd place team in France is Nice atm, who plays for them again???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Never paid attention to Van Dijk before this season tbh.

Is he the real deal?

I'm pretty much the same, always looked solid when I seen him play. Never thought he looked like a 50M pound player though, not that that means much anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I don't see Liverpool paying 50-60 million for Vertigo Van Dick, a 26 year old one season wonder.

What sort of player is Keita?

In the Kante mould apparently. I've never seen him play though.

NukaCola wrote: »
    I'm pretty much the same, always looked solid when I seen him play. Never thought he looked like a 50M pound player though, not that that means much anymore.

That's the thing. It was a all Lovren a free years back and tbf to him he's improve under the Klopp. If you the money was similar back then he'd probably be in that price bracket.

The money is probably irrelevant in some way as I actually don't care too much once they are are the correct signings.

I'd like to to see us sign a top keeper, centre back, midfielder and striker. I hope we are ambitious this summer and Klopp is backed to the hilt.

5starpool wrote: »
    In the Kante mould apparently. I've never seen him play though.

He's got the physicality and energy of Kante but he's more of an attacker. Far better passing and shooting but not as good defensively. He'd be the type to sit deep alongside s dedicated defensive mid rather than be the defensive mid himself.

• Advertisement

He's got the physicality and energy of Kante but he's more of an attacker. Far better passing and shooting but not as good defensively. He'd be the type to sit deep alongside s dedicated defensive mid rather than be the defensive mid himself.

His best quality is his dribbling IMO. He can weave through the opposing midfield at ease sometimes, and he creates space for his teammates by doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Is he a bit like Yaya Toure?

ERG89 wrote: »
    3rd place team in France is Nice atm, who plays for them again???

A future Balon d'Or winner I believe.

brevity wrote: »
    Is he a bit like Yaya Toure?

Much more explosive but his technique isn't quite as good yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't see Liverpool paying 50-60 million for Vertigo Van Dick, a 26 year old one season wonder.

God I hope not.

We aren't PSG.

A centre half at a midtable club who hasnt had a career of any particular note to date shouldn't command a fee of 50m.

Regardless of whatever mental gymnastics are produced to argue about current day transfer values.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How serious was Van Dijk injury he's been out for a while now?

I would hate to see us sign another player who is injured we done that to much over the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't worry about rumours at this stage of the season.

Transfer window hasn't even opened yet so there's loads of time for a transfer to come out of nowhere.

I'm pretty certain a top striker is on the cards this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If we don't sign a striker and firmino gets injured.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Danny ward saved first for Hudderfield

And Ward sends Huddersfield to Wembley! Get in lad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Could we save some money and him as our 1st choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Brilliant by Danny Ward, 2 good penalty saves to take his team to Wembley. Delighted for Huddersfield and David Wagner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Unfortunate for Westwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two Danny Ward saves put Huddersfield in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Still my favourite Kuyt moment.

• Advertisement

God I hope not.

We aren't PSG.

A centre half at a midtable club who hasnt had a career of any particular note to date shouldn't command a fee of 50m.

Regardless of whatever mental gymnastics are produced to argue about current day transfer values.

If he hadn't played a stormer against us in the first leg of the league cup semi final I doubt there would be as much fuss. Mad what one game can do. Obviously it's not all based on that, but before that we hadn't heard any ridiculous valuations, after that,it went mad.

Hopefully Huddersfield get through to the Premier League and Ward can spend another year on loan.

Sanchez can't stay at Arsenal if he won't sing a contract. They will be forced to sell him, he should go for 50 million plus, but he's 29 in few months. Who ever buys him will never resell him.
    I wish we would buy a player like this as he could win us the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They would be lucky to get £50m for him with one year left on his contract I reckon.

If he holds off till January he can sign a pre contract with another club outside of the PL for a huge signing on fee and leave next summer for free which I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he does.

Could be on 1.5 million a week if he leaves on a free to China. More likely to replace Rooney at United. They have form in robbing Arsenal of their striker.

Wouldn't be surprised if they just held onto him and let him go for free next year. They're not in a great position with only one year left on his contract, can't really see them getting any more than they paid for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I wish we would buy a player like this as he could win us the league.

Sorry but himself & Ozil can't even keep arsenal in the top 4. He ain't the type to make that much difference for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

God I hope not.

We aren't PSG.

Just wait till you find out how much John Stones went to city for last summer...you're in for a shock! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sanchez can't stay at Arsenal if he won't sing a contract.

Bit harsh. Then again if he holds a note like I do....not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

ERG89 wrote: »
    Sorry but himself & Ozil can't even keep arsenal in the top 4. He ain't the type to make that much difference for us.

Here we go again. A few months back a few posters on here told me Sanchez with his 30 goals and almost 20 assists wouldn't get into our starting 11....and it's happening again. I don't agree with Tobi about alot of things but this one thing we agree on. Sanchez would make us an almost unstoppable force next season imo, imagine Mane and Sanchez either side of Firmino(fit Sturridge) with Coutinho pulling the strings behind. Oh it would be majestic....Of course Sanchez would make a difference to our team. I know he will never play for us but to say anything different is just crazy tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement