Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

mormank wrote:
    Here we go again. A few months back a few posters on here told me Sanchez with his 30 goals and almost 20 assists wouldn't get into our starting 11....and it's happening again. I don't agree with Tobi about alot of things but this one thing we agree on. Sanchez would make us an almost unstoppable force next season imo, imagine Mane and Sanchez either side of Firmino(fit Sturridge) with Coutinho pulling the strings behind. Oh it would be majestic....Of course Sanchez would make a difference to our team. I know he will never play for us but to say anything different is just crazy tbh.

Sorry but if we concede 45-50 goals a season we ain't winning no league. I never said he wouldn't improve us either :rolleyes: but there ain't no magic wand single player that would make us "unstoppable" especially if we drop form in the second half of the season like we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

The 5/6 week period from turn of the year to mid Feb is where our form went off a cliff and we let Chelsea and spurs pull away. Much of this was down to the various injuries and absence of key players that broke up the rhythm we had before new yr.

Our performances haven't been glittering but our form/results since then has/have been good.

Expand the squad with quality suitable additions and we can curtail the severity of form dips next yr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ERG89 wrote: »
    Sorry but if we concede 45-50 goals a season we ain't winning no league. I never said he wouldn't improve us either :rolleyes: but there ain't no magic wand single player that would make us "unstoppable" especially if we drop form in the second half of the season like we did.

Well, you said he wouldn't make much difference to us... of course he would.

He's not the only signing needed obviously. But *if* we had a player of his attacking quality, along with Firmino, Mane, and Coutinho, you have enough going forward to play a dedicated DM, and for your full backs to not be so attacking.

And having that kind of depth in attack is exactly the sort of thing that helps with 'dropping form in the second half of the season'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

The part in bold is a joke right? You said Sanchez is not the type to make much difference to our side and then get sarcy with me cos you never said he wouldn't improve us?? Not make much difference to us = improve us.... in upside down land maybe but here in real life it does not.

mormank wrote:
    The part in bold is a joke right? You said Sanchez is not the type to make much difference to our side and then get sarcy with me cos you never said he wouldn't improve us?? Not make much difference to us = improve us.... in upside down land maybe but here in real life it does not.

I directly quoted someone suggesting signing him could win us the league it was in the context of winning the f*cking league not improving the team. It will take more than more goals to do the league which you chose to ignore when I made that point after you sent on your drama queen "here we go again" tirade. Well done.
    Btw that last bit there was "sarcy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I directly quoted someone suggesting signing him could win us the league it was in the context of winning the f*cking league not improving the team. It will take more than more goals to do the league which you chose to ignore when I made that point after you sent on your drama queen "here we go again" tirade. Well done.
    Btw that last bit there was "sarcy"

Well I would argue that signing him could in fact win us a league. We would have won the league with a similarly poor defence in 2014 had we drawn 1 match at home to chelsea. That's the margin's sometimes. So while I agree with your point that other areas need strengthening for sure. I would argue that signing one player like Sanchez could in fact win us a league. So there ya go, your point unignored.

Btw Nice first attempt at being "sarcy", needs practice but a great first go!!

mormank wrote:
    Well I would argue that signing him could in fact win us a league. We would have won the league with a similarly poor defence in 2014 had we drawn 1 match at home to chelsea. That's the margin's sometimes. So while I agree with your point that other areas need strengthening for sure. I would argue that signing one player like Sanchez could in fact win us a league. So there ya go, your point unignored.

If we kept Lallana, Mane, Coutinho & Firmino fit we wouldn't have too many problems with scoring goals. It's the other end of the pitch that we need to sort out. We remarkably give up few goals against the top 6 but give up soft goals against sides like Sunderland, Swansea, Palace Hull, & Bournemouth which cost us at worst 3rd this season. If the goals don't flow it's important to make a habit of keeping a clean sheet.
    As well as not having a strong bench to call on for injuries or rotation. Most of the last 3 months it's been teenagers or players like Moreno & Klavan who the manager lost faith in when Milner & Lucas are picked out if position ahead of them. It's still square pegs in round holes at times for us. It's nice to see Alexander Arnold or Grujic in the squad but it's not a comparison to the likes of Chelsea who have Willian, Batshuayi & Fabregas on their bench you see the quality that is required to call on. That's arguably where Spurs faltered most as adding Sissoko & Janssen to the bench didn't add quality if they were needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If we kept Lallana, Mane, Coutinho & Firmino fit we wouldn't have too many problems with scoring goals.

That's sort of the point though. Beyond that strongest starting selection, we're in a bit of trouble. Add Sanchez into the mix in the games Mane missed for instance, and I'd be confident that's a lot of draws turning into wins.

It's nice to say 'keep these guys all fit and we're fine', but that's not realistic. Realistic, is adding guy's of the same level to step in. Like Sanchez. Would've made a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So Keane is now odds on to go back to UTD, weren't we the ones dead set to sign him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nah, it was only paper talk - that'll mean Utd have spent about 120 million quid on players they sold for less than 10.

The problem with Liverpool signing a Sanchez level player (as in known high level quality/experience) is that it's even harder to sign one now than it would have been when Suarez left - back then Sanchez would have been the proverbial first name on the team sheet. Now he (or whoever it was) would not necessarily be due to the nature of the attack - options are great if you are a manager, less so if you are the player who believes he should be starting every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

I believe we badly need an out and out striker.
    One of our problems against the bottom half teams (other than our defense) is that we cant seem to score ugly goals. the vast majority of our goals are moments of pure class as opposed to the tap in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The most effective player in the league wouldn't improve our chances of winning the league??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Nah, it was only paper talk - that'll mean Utd have spent about 120 million quid on players they sold for less than 10.

Excelsior, team finishing 12th in the Dutch league would be able to play 3 decades of Eredivisie for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Sanchez is first name on the team sheet if he joins us , he massively improves us
    He prob does a similar job to Bobby through the middle but twice as effectively
    And he would be close to as good on the right or left as Sadio
    He adds somebody other than the count to score something from nothing

Anyone who thinks he doesn't improve us is mad , while it cannot be sign Sanchez and do nothing else ,if we have him we challenge for the title no doubt in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Keita Balde would be a very good signing for us.

We were linked in the past to him as well. Plays with Mane at Senegal. He has scored 15 goals this season from a wide position as well & has pace. Only problem would be the African Nations Cup.

Allegedly (on here) Sanchez is bad for the dressing room iirc, serious attitude problems etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Augeo wrote: »
    Allegedly (on here) Sanchez is bad for the dressing room iirc, serious attitude problems etc etc.

He wants to win, gets upset when they don't.

Show me someone who doesn't do the same.

............ indeed, I agree with you 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

He spearheaded Chile to back to back Copa America's, his attitude is that of an out and out winner. To be fair to him playing in that Arsenal side would test the patience of a saint especially if you've aspirations of winning everything.

But he's not signing for Liverpool in a million years so a reality check is needed if that's the calibre of player you think you'll attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

There's not a fear Sanchez is going to the Pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Augeo wrote: »

He's not joining us but he would walk straight into our team unlike what some are saying here.

He would get into most first 11s in Europe.

As for attitude, most likely a myth, he threw a few strops because of the team losing. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Arsenal should do their utmost to keep him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Would he improve us?
    yes

Would he win us the league?
    not a chance

Are we in the race for him?
    hahahaha

We dont need him anyway. We need an out and out striker and we need a sort our defence. He is neither

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

murpho999 wrote: »
    He's not joining us but he would walk straight into our team unlike what some are saying here.

He would get into most first 11s in Europe.

As for attitude, most likely a myth, he threw a few strops because of the team losing. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Arsenal should do their utmost to keep him.

Wasn't this immediately after he was dropped to the bench in a game against top four rivals Liverpool where he later came on and scored?

I'd be skeptical that he would even think twice about joining us over Chelsea or City, who will likely be in for him, but he'd suit us down to the ground, and his contract situation and fitness record means he ticks all the right boxes on the committee's little pro/con checklist.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Rekop dog wrote: »
    He spearheaded Chile to back to back Copa America's, his attitude is that of an out and out winner. To be fair to him playing in that Arsenal side would test the patience of a saint especially if you've aspirations of winning everything.

But he's not signing for Liverpool in a million years so a reality check is needed if that's the calibre of player you think you'll attract.

No one suggested we actually would or should sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Emre Can has made the Germany squad for the Confed Cup this summer. Probably won't miss any pre-season games but if they reach the final the Tranmere Rovers match might come a bit too soon for him as there's only a 6 day turnaround I think.

Liverpool will play Hertha Berlin in a pre-season Europa League warm up. Allan to play 45 mins for both sides presumably :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

martyos121 wrote: »
    Emre Can has made the Germany squad for the Confed Cup this summer. Probably won't miss any pre-season games but if they reach the final the Tranmere Rovers match might come a bit too soon for him as there's only a 6 day turnaround I think.

Well, good luck to him so. Hopefully he has a good tournament.

Kuyt's very last training today:

There will be a fare well match for Dirk organised by Feyenoord.
    Hope it will be Feyenoord - Liverpool

inforfun wrote: »
    Kuyt's very last training today:

There will be a fare well match for Dirk organised by Feyenoord.
    Hope it will be Feyenoord - Liverpool

Feyenoord supporters have a link with the Mackems but I doubt they'll want to play a Championship side somehow.

• Advertisement

Feyenoord always play a season opener against a team from the top league of either Spain or England.
    Last 2 seasons was Southampton and Valencia.

No details whatsoever, might turn in to a Feyenoord vs Kuyt's friends kind of thing as well in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Vicxas wrote: »
    He wants to win, gets upset when they don't.

Show me someone who doesn't do the same.

Pretty much most of our squad. We've not had a winner in side since Suarez and Gerrard left, this current crop shed no tears after a defeat like Suarez and Gerrard did. How many times have we had a very painful defeat only to find Firmino on social media hour later flashing his big smile and dancing like a clown.

745x1000.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Top 4 implications for Liverpool.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/pkcbQ

Basically we need to be cheering for Dortmund, Napoli, CSKA Moscow and Ajax in the coming weeks. I believe we need at least 2 of those in our favour to get good draw for champions league qualifer.

Champions-League-Final-AC-Milan-v-Liverpool.jpg

02A4DB300000044D-2894176-image-a-17_1420194900213.jpg

article-0-02D8209A0000044D-242_468x575.jpg

Good grief is it Happy Istanbul Day already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Pretty much most of our squad. We've not had a winner in side since Suarez and Gerrard left, this current crop shed no tears after a defeat like Suarez and Gerrard did. How many times have we had a very painful defeat only to find Firmino on social media hour later flashing his big smile and dancing like a clown.

Gerrard leading the team a day after the 6-1 defeat for Stoke

Whatever players get up to off the pitch means fcuk all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

put it in bloody perspective man , season was over and he was finishing at a club he had played at for 19 years !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

put it in bloody perspective man , season was over and he was finishing at a club he had played at for 19 years !

My point is who fcuking cares? So what if Firmino is, god forbid, smiling and spending time with friends after a defeat, it means nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Amazingly a club legend like Gerrard is not actually universally loved on this thread, baffles me in all honesty.

That game meant nothing to anyone, I've never seen it or care to.
    Season was over and time to party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GiftofGab wrote: »

Basically we need to be cheering for Dortmund, Napoli, CSKA Moscow and Ajax in the coming weeks. I believe we need at least 2 of those in our favour to get good draw for champions league qualifer.

There will be no good draw looking at the qualifiers so far and who could qualify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

GiftofGab wrote: »

It won't be easy whoever we get BUT we need to actually take care of Boro first, also you never know maybe we can pinch third place either, that would be sweet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My point is who fcuking cares? So what if Firmino is, god forbid, smiling and spending time with friends after a defeat, it means nothing!

When I have a **** day at work, I refuse to smile or talk to friends and family. :pac:

You're right that it means nothing. It just comes across badly, he gives it all and wants to win. It doesn't effect his contribution, I can only remember one time he done such a thing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

You're right that it means nothing. It just comes across badly, he gives it all and wants to win. It doesn't effect his contribution, I can only remember one time he done such a thing anyway.

As long as he gives his all on the pitch it shouldn't matter. I would be more critical of performance rather than how bad a player feels about losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

There will be no good draw looking at the qualifiers so far and who could qualify

Wont matter anyway as we'll get 3rd........:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The only high-calibre player I've seen who seems to act the same way off the pitch as he did on is Roy Keane, and he's an insufferable sulk. You can lead by example and raise a team from whistle to whistle and still be smiling an hour after a defeat, still go back to being a normal human instead of a leader of men.

People saw Sanchez laughing on the bench during the Bayern match and he was pilloried. He was still their best player. Raheem Sterling bought his mother a house last summer after England's Iceland defeat and it was front-page news. The whole public perception of footballers is askew IMO. They play football for a living, FFS, how serious do you want them to behave?

Sappy404 wrote: »
    The only high-calibre player I've seen who seems to act the same way off the pitch as he did on is Roy Keane, and he's an insufferable sulk.........

Did and might still do trojan work for the Guide Dogs in Cork, nothing sulky about him there.

Also a buddy knows him just from Cobh ramblers fundraisers etc and same again, apparently a great guy.

Personally I think he's as you say too though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.marca.com/futbol/liga-francesa/2017/05/18/591db521e2704e1a638b45cd.html

Marca claiming that Liverpool have had a €75m bid for Mbappe rejected by Monaco.

Marca are never the most reliable source, but I reckon they're pulling this one out of their arses.

That's only there so when Real Madrid sign him they can proclaim how they beat Liverpool to the punch ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

That's only there so when Real Athletico Madrid sign him with the greizmann money they can proclaim how they beat Liverpool to the punch ;)

FYP :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement