Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

And we should have gotten third at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Looking forward to hearing this in Anfield next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Job done. Delighted for Klopp and the players - it would have been a shame if they weren't able to get over the line given the position they created. I've more thoughts, lots more, but that's all that really needs to be said for now.

Well, don't be a stranger. Recruitment is going to be absolutely crucial this summer, there'll be lots to discuss, one way or another.

In the meantime, time for another beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

special mention for kolo toure today , first double invincible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Morenos mention on the season review will be "had brief moment of handbags with Calum Chambers "

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Any links for the goals - been watching the hurling and haven't seen any of today's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Any links for the goals - been watching the hurling and haven't seen any of today's game.

If that's why you missed them te you do the deserve to see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Job half done...Cmon Ajax. :pac:

If that's why you missed them te you do the deserve to see them.

Opening round of Munster Championship wins 9/10 times - Today's result was never in doubt tbf - Now throw up the links like a good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Linda smiling John W going to have a happy night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

2 PPG all season.......solid.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Klopp'd bring a tear to a glass eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We came 4th, there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well that was a game of two halves.

I'll run up the stats shortly as I'm a nerd but I reckon by every metric that actually matters Liverpool are better off than 12 months ago (the only one that is open to query I reckon is points lost from a winning position).

2016/17
    2015/16
    Points 76
    Shots
    2. Liverpool 640 (2. Liverpool 629)
    On Target
    2. Liverpool 236 (4. Liverpool 202)
    Goals
    4. Liverpool 78 (6. Liverpool 63)
    Goals conceded -16. Liverpool 42 ( 12. Liverpool 50)
    Clean sheets ----8. Liverpool 11 (7 Liverpool 11)
    Own goals
    none (14. Liverpool 1)
    Passes
    2. Liverpool 22,235 (4. Liverpool 19,733)
    Through Balls ----5. Liverpool 57 ( 3. Liverpool 75) Interesting!
    Yellow cards ----19. Liverpool 54 (7. Liverpool 61)
    Red Cards
    none (10. Liverpool 3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That sheet won't be clean tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Clean sheets something something.

EDIT: What he said ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

4th best attack, 5th best defence (somehow). 4th is right for the season, hopefully we can do well in the cups next season (win a domestic one at least, or EL if we drop into it) and still finish top 4. That'll be progression in itself.

Then win the league the season after :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Delighted but of course there's the little issue of the qualifier so I won't celebrate too much yet. Hopefully klopp gets his players in as soon as possible and gets a solid pre season. Happy days!

• Advertisement

It has been so long since a season has ended without disappointment. This is a foreign feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Glad we made it but we have had a poor second half to season. The mood at the final whistle was one of relief , not something to celebrate.

Opening round of Munster Championship wins 9/10 times - Today's result was never in doubt tbf - Now throw up the links like a good man.

How can a Liverpool fan watch hurling on a day like today.

Why don't you google them instead of demanding them here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Proud of the team and the club for finally showing some steel the past few weeks and getting over the line. Big big summer for the club. We saw what happened last time we got champos league. Poor recruitment let us down badly. Really hope fsg open their wallets this summer and buy quality. First time in a long time as a lfc fan i feel hope and optimism about the future of this club

Straight onto the plane to Sydney pretty much now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just realised we haven't conceded a goal in nearly a month, or 4 games if you look at it that way. That's a very good sign, especially when you consider we played 4 matches we tend to struggle in.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »

Huh? I'm Irish and hurling trumps all sports unless Liverpool were involved in a league\cup decider etc. - Today was a formality and i'm not demanding, just asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Right. Thank God I don't have to watch those torturous c?nts for three months.

Huh? I'm Irish and hurling trumps all sports unless Liverpool were involved in a league\cup decider etc. - Today was a formality and i'm not demanding, just asking.

Either way, no one allowed to post links to those sort of things here.

6 weeks to the start of pre-season only!

I don't know what hurling was on today but if a chap is into his hurling and his team is playing than that doesn't make him any less of a Liverpool fan than the rest of us.

Same way lads who go over and chant in put on English accents aren't any more of a Liverpool fan than the rest of us.

• Advertisement

About 3 weeks ago I stuck this bet on, knowing I never win my bets and hoping that stayed as is, so basically you're welcome lads.

2a30edb8fd251241977d6a1d79d7133b.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Well done to the lads!

The season had ups and downs but bottom line is that 76 points is a cracking tally, and very worthy of getting top 4. 2ppg, so no one can in any way say that it's not a deserved qualification even if others will spin it as "they only got in cos Arsenal and United are ****".

I thought 74 would be enough after the Soton game and I was wrong - Arsenal did what I feared they might do and put 5 wins together on the bounce to finish with a tally that would have got them in any other year.

It's no worse an Arsenal team than many other years, just it has got more competitive up there.

Really looking forward to CL footy next year, although I think it will take a huge toll on a thin squad.

Quality and quantity needed in the summer.

I would say something like:

1 x RB
    1 x LB
    1 x CB
    1 x CM
    1 x wide forward
    1 x Striker

Probably will need to outlay about ?200m to get a competitive and deep squad together, although we will still need to look for bargains compared to most of our rivals I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Made up. Going for a walk to celebrate cos I'm old and boring like that. Wooooo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You'll always trudge a bit in these kinds of games until you get the breakthrough.
    Then you can get into your rhythm.

We were grand.

We're not good enough to do it consistently over the course of the season so that's what needs fixing in the summer.

In broken play, our game is the best around.
    Breaks need a massive amount of work. Despite often having the lead only about 5% of our goals come on the break.
    We're ok at breaking teams down. We need to be amazing.

That needs pace, directness and finishing.
    It's a pity because peak Sturridge was exactly that.

The idea that we're an attacking team that only needs to work on the defence to sort themselves out doesn't really wash.
    We're only the 4th best attack in the league and while we're the 6th best defence, there's not much between ourselves, City, Everton and Arsenal on that front.
    There's specific elements that need to be worked on but we're not particularly bad at set pieces

Eventually you'd hope to maybe see 5 of the back 6 replaced and at least an option at DM available. The most immediate impact will be making sure that if we're an attacking team we play to our strengths and are the best attacking team. I want to see 90+ goals next season.

A good season when you get right down to it. It feels worse because of the nature of the ways we've fallen down, but objectively we've done well.
    The 6th best team finishing 4th against sides that are some combination of further along the development process or vastly more expensive is nothing to be sneezed at.

A similar points return next season would be fine if it's accompanied by a good CL run.
    We need to **** the domestic cups off completely.

More than a good season IMO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Time to offer Arsenal 40,000,001 for Sanchez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Made up. Going for a walk to celebrate cos I'm old and boring like that. Wooooo.

I'm making some tea. I'll go mad and have celebratory pizza, okay that's not even making anything it's from lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Made up. Going for a **** to celebrate cos I'm like that. Wooo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Gini's been fantastic for us. Never spectacular but very often is the difference in the matches that count. And I was very underwhelmed when we signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Gbear wrote: »
    You'll always trudge a bit in these kinds of games until you get the breakthrough.
    Then you can get into your rhythm.

We were grand.

We're not good enough to do it consistently over the course of the season so that's what needs fixing in the summer.

In broken play, our game is the best around.
    Breaks need a massive amount of work. Despite often having the lead only about 5% of our goals come on the break.
    We're ok at breaking teams down. We need to be amazing.

That needs pace, directness and finishing.
    It's a pity because peak Sturridge was exactly that.

The idea that we're an attacking team that only needs to work on the defence to sort themselves out doesn't really wash.
    We're only the 4th best attack in the league and while we're the 6th best defence, there's not much between ourselves, City, Everton and Arsenal on that front.
    There's specific elements that need to be worked on but we're not particularly bad at set pieces

Eventually you'd hope to maybe see 5 of the back 6 replaced and at least an option at DM available. The most immediate impact will be making sure that if we're an attacking team we play to our strengths and are the best attacking team. I want to see 90+ goals next season.

A good season when you get right down to it. It feels worse because of the nature of the ways we've fallen down, but objectively we've done well.
    The 6th best team finishing 4th against sides that are some combination of further along the development process or vastly more expensive is nothing to be sneezed at.

A similar points return next season would be fine if it's accompanied by a good CL run.
    We need to **** the domestic cups off completely.

Yeah I would agree, number one priority is to get the personel and a plan together to figure out how to beat teams that drop deep and squeeze narrow.

Someone figured out how to nullify us about halfway through the season and numerous managers had a lot of success replicating the plan.

Milner and Clyne for me do not offer enough as very attacking full backs in these games. They both still have a part to play for me, and I would be happy to see Milner in big games, CL games too maybe.

But we need genuine attacking quality from the fullback positions When you see a master like Alves at work and see what that can bring to the team it's very obvious how limited we are out wide, and that falls predominantly on the fullbacks imo.

We should be looking to invest about 50m in these areas imo. Some will defend Clyne - like I said I don't want to get rid of him, but he needs cover / competition and preferably a RB with proven assist / goal threat

Our biggest game since Chelsea in 2014 and you're watching hurling?

What's being Irish go to do with it?

Game was not that much of a formality if you had seen it.

Your tone came across quite demanding in my opinion.
    Augeo wrote: »
    I don't know what hurling was on today but if a chap is into his hurling and his team is playing than that doesn't make him any less of a Liverpool fan than the rest of us.

Same way lads who go over and chant in put on English accents aren't any more of a Liverpool fan than the rest of us.

If you're watching hurling over Liverpool today makes you less of a Liverpool fan than those who watched the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If you're watching hurling over Liverpool today makes you less of a Liverpool fan than those who watched the game.

And what If you don't have the money to pay for Sky or have the internet speeds for illegally streaming the game so you watch the hurling and then look for a few links to the goals does that make you more or less a Liverpool fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Honestly, no-one needs this shit today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Who gives a f*ck why someone did or didn't watch the match? Jesus, lads. It's only football?

"I'm a bigger fan than you 'cos..."

--

Anyway - won't be a surprise, but very much sounds like Lucas is off in the post-match interview.

"My kids will be really proud when they grow up and come to Anfield to watch games knowing that their dad played for Liverpool."

He is a top man and a great presence in the dressing room so, if he is off, I'll be sad to see him go.

Not a lot of experience in this side so players like Lucas are worth keeping on that front, but I can't begrudge him a move if he does leave to play football elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Our biggest game was beating a **** Middlesbrough side. Not even a europa league or league cup final could compare to that. The mind boggles

mosstin wrote: »
    Honestly, no-one needs this shit today.

Yea, you're right. Sorry but the post annoyed me a bit.

Let's enjoy the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

So Buford..... Did he play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd have taken it at the start of the year. 2ppg and a goal difference of +36 is objectively good by any measure, in any season. The challenge will be maintaining that level in the league (as a minimum) while being competitive in Europe on top of it and / or winning a Cup. It's not an easy ask, but it is what is required. I've no doubt it's the goals that Klopp will set himself.

In order to achieve it we'll need to deepen out the squad while improving the first XI in tandem. Finding another couple of Mane's would do it. We could do with improving our options at midfield / fullback / centre back at a minimum while praying Mane and Sturridge stayed fit for 50+ games over the course of the year. Our wage and fee limitations won't go away overnight, and I doubt Klopp's outlook will change much so it might be a frustrating summer on this front. We'll see.

On a general level, while the decade since our last appearance in a European Cup final has been difficult to take as a fan, you know it could be a lot worse. It's not like every season has been a disaster:

2017: 76 pts, 4th
    2016: 60 pts, 8th, League Cup Final, Europa League Final
    2015: 62 pts, 6th
    2014: 84 pts, 2nd
    2013: 61 pts, 7th
    2012: 52 pts, 8th, League Cup, FA Cup Final
    2011: 58 pts, 6th, Ownership change
    2010: 63 pts, 7th, European semi final
    2009: 86 pts, 2nd
    2008: 76 pts, 4th, European semi final

Overall, I'm happy with where Klopp has got us thus far. This was a project, and he's already got the first bit done. The question is whether he can make this a minimum for the next couple of years and push on. He didn't get the absurdly kind draw in the Europa that Mourinho has benefitted from, and it's taken an extra year to get back in the house as a result. But we're there now, and we can look forward positively.

You never do know - I never saw 2014 / 15 or 2009 / 10 coming. But looking back, the losses of Alonso and Suarez respectively were huge holes never filled. If we can keep everyone we want to keep, and I think we can, we should be in a good place to push on.

Today is a good day all the same, difficult as January to April were at times. Definitely something to enjoy for a few days and a time to be quietly optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement