Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Not bothered reading back to see what the Hurling debate was about.

Only thing that matters is we got top 4. In August, I remarked that it was nuts to think that 2 of the top 6 wouldn't make CL, that is such a good set of teams. I suspected Arsenal and maybe Spurs to miss out, if Kane didn't repeat his heroics. He did, and then some. Never thought United, with their spending and THAT manager, would be so poor.

Considering we have the shallowest squad, and injuries to Mané, Matip, Hendo, Lallana and Sturridge, we've done brilliant. 4 away wins in a row at the end of the season is particularly impressive, and such a good record against the rest of the top 6 - 5 wins and 5 draws, including wins at Arsenal and Chelsea.

You could argue that we should have bought in Jan, but it's an extraordinary window to find quality in, changed a lot since we got Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge. And the players we had, and who needed games, saw us through - Can, Origi, Wijnaldum, Phil.

- We need VVD. Nuff said there.
    - We need a new starting LB (which gives us another CM option in Milner with Lucas leaving). Shame that Kolasinac is already set for Arsenal, I guess he doesn't want CL! :) I'd take Luke Shaw...
    - We need a kick-ass CM, although Can has done recently, I don't think he's disciplined enough to play a holding role. Keita is the name being widely mentioned, also not a holder, but certainly a very good player...
    - And we need a star striker who plays in every big game. Neither Origi nor Sturridge are that player right now, but can push said star when fit. Firmino is not just a goalscorer. Lacazette is the best option, but suggestions he is off to AM. But it's not official, so...

Dickerty wrote: »

- We need VVD. Nuff said there.
    - We need a new starting LB (which gives us another CM option in Milner with Lucas leaving). Shame that Kolasinac is already set for Arsenal, I guess he doesn't want CL! :) I'd take Luke Shaw........................

Great post in general.
    We don't need VVD specifically, we just need an upgrade on Lovren.

&

We won't sign Luke Shaw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Of course, technically, you are correct!

The best kind of correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Lacazette is gone, we need a 20 +goal striker, aubameyang anyone. He is looking for a move, probably 70 million or something silly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

sword1 wrote: »
    Lacazette is gone, we need a 20 +goal striker, aubameyang anyone. He is looking for a move, probably 70 million or something silly though.

Hasn't he said a few times that is RM, Barca or nothing? Even with CL I don't see us being able to attract him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Could'nt watch the game today due to rescuing a local corcodile stuck up in a tree(again), Just caught up now on the last 10 pages or so, big relief really.

I forget which poster it was but someone mentioned that our main problems lie in the full back positions and they are spot on, the textbook way to break down a team that parks the bus is to spread them wide and out of position and our full backs don't offer that option, I like Clyne, as a defensive FB i'd have him as one of if not the best in the league, but he offers very little going forward and that's compounded with Milner playing on the left being a right footed player.

Super tortoise versus the tree climbing crocodile, sounds like a crappy sci-fi channel movie.
    Mr.H wrote: »
    Of course it makes you less of a fan

If you choose to watch something else instead of Liverpool it means you don't mind missing Liverpool.

I do mind. A lot do mind.

Therefore we are more obsessed with Liverpool than you and you are not as big a fan.

I personally would never miss a game. Even when I'm working I haven't on sky+ and ignore all sport talk until I watch it alone so the experience isn't compromised.

It's not just a team on TV to me. It's Liverpool!!!

Will I be as good a Liverpool fan as you if i watch the recording of the match today? Only thing is, I know the result.
    x43r0 wrote: »
    The best kind of correct!

No autocorrect is best.

Anyway, thank kn**** for Liverpool winning cause tipp lost! And now I know why, it was all the super Liverpool fans negative vibes.

Let's hope we don't get no summertime blues!

Shaw, lol.

Can't make it at a club that finished below us. Managers don't trust him either which would be suggest discipline problems. Also had weight problems.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Shaw, lol.

Can't make it at a club that finished below us. Managers don't trust him either which would be suggest discipline problems. Also had weight problems.

No problem with our fat blockers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Shaw, lol.

exactly my thoughts. Anyway never saw all the fuss with shaw, I think he is terribly overrated.

would love to see the club splash the cash on Van Dijk, Naby Keita, Douglas costa, Mendy and timo werner. Linked with some of them aswell so hopefully we sign a few. Most would walk into our starting 11 imo

Shaw, lol.

The guy is 21 years of age. He was in the team of the season at 19 (2013/14), which got him that move to United. He played 20 times in that first season for United (competing with Blind, a LVG favourite), then missed almost all the next season with that double leg break. And Mourinho has singled him terrible this season, hardly surprising if he's found it hard to make an impact.

So which manager doesn't trust him? José? That's our bar?

Some good manager will take him on and make a proper player out of him, and good LBs are like GOLD....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would not take Luke Shaw as he would cost too much. Good player but has weight problems.

I think a quality LB is critical for next season. I would like us to pay big money to sign Mendy although half of europe will be after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I was all for Shaw joining us about two years ago before he went to united. As dickerty said, he did look a proper talent at 19... but ya see him now, he's just a (bigger!) shadow of his former self. And is problem is the same one dunphy pointed out at John Hartson I think it was all those years ago... he's a chunky boy carrying a lot of extra weight. No way would I think of buying him now.
    Wolfsburg are in a relegation play off in the Bundesliga.... time to jettison "R.Rod" outta there and into anfield. His stock (and price!) has dropped considerably as well but would love to see him at the club.

No problem with our fat blockers!!!

tumblr_nl4lk4r4LY1s8as3do1_400.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Some funny tangents on here yesterday, yis are gas.

Anyway, back on topic, good write up on the game here: https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0521/876795-tipperary-v-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Augeo wrote: »
    Great post in general.
    We don't need VVD specifically, we just need an upgrade on Lovren.

&

We won't sign Luke Shaw :)

I would say we dont necessairly need VVD but we do need a quality LB, an upgrade on Lovren, and a Kante or Mascherano type player in MF.....we could get 2, if not 3 of those from the prices quoted for VVD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

We need to sign quality attacking full backs on both sides imo.

Too many games for Clyne and he doesn't offer enough in the final third for me. We can do better than "solid" imo, particularly in this type of system. At the very least we should be looking at a different type of option here.

Milner will still be very useful as a left back option and as an all round utility man.

I'd like to keep both Clyne and Milner, but I still would like to be looking at both quality right backs and left backs.

A genuine attack minded right back that could also possibly play in the front 3 might be a consideration too if we're looking for squad coverage. I could see why Ox might have been considered for that, arguably could play where both Clyne and Mane play, as well as being a centre-mid option.

I don't think we can challenge for the league without quality, quick and natural footed fullbacks contributing significantly towards goal tallies. We'll continue to struggle to break down teams that defend deep and narrow with a right-footed Milner and a blunt Clyne.

I don't think we should underestimate the importance of getting these positions right - just as important as any other position imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

So 2 cup finals in his first season when he took over in November and a 2ppg 4th place finish in his first full season, when you bring in quality it shows and klopp is quality. Now to see can he mash those two seasons together have us challenging at the top end of the table and in the cups, with the current squad you'd say not a hope so a big summer of investment is needed.

I'm interested to see midfield recruitments after klopp saying he sees coutino as an 8, lallana can henderson and wijnaldum have all been good in midfield this year so to have 4 of them fighting for 2 spots (assuming coutinho is a nailed on starter) it would be good competition. That's before you add keita or a midfield of his type into the mix.
    Another winger in the mane mould is needed, a striker too in all honesty, a full back and another central defender. I think klopp will stick with mignolet and karius.
    So it's a centre back, full back, midfielder, winger and a striker we need. I don't think 5 new faces is overkill with the money klopp should have at his disposal and potential champions league on offer we should be an attractive option for quality players. Very exciting summer ahead for us and I can't wait, transfer silly season is a guilty pleasure of mine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Operation Douglas Costa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

klose wrote: »
    So 2 cup finals in his first season when he took over in November and a 2ppg 4th place finish in his first full season, when you bring in quality it shows and klopp is quality. Now to see can he mash those two seasons together have us challenging at the top end of the table and in the cups,

That's been the biggest issue for over a decade now with successive managers .

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Of course it makes you less of a fan

If you choose to watch something else instead of Liverpool it means you don't mind missing Liverpool.

I do mind. A lot do mind.

Therefore we are more obsessed with Liverpool than you and you are not as big a fan.

I personally would never miss a game. Even when I'm working I haven't on sky+ and ignore all sport talk until I watch it alone so the experience isn't compromised.

It's not just a team on TV to me. It's Liverpool!!!
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Morzadec wrote: »
    We need to sign quality attacking full backs on both sides imo.

Too many games for Clyne and he doesn't offer enough in the final third for me. We can do better than "solid" imo, particularly in this type of system. At the very least we should be looking at a different type of option here.

Milner will still be very useful as a left back option and as an all round utility man.

I'd like to keep both Clyne and Milner, but I still would like to be looking at both quality right backs and left backs.

A genuine attack minded right back that could also possibly play in the front 3 might be a consideration too if we're looking for squad coverage. I could see why Ox might have been considered for that, arguably could play where both Clyne and Mane play, as well as being a centre-mid option.

I don't think we can challenge for the league without quality, quick and natural footed fullbacks contributing significantly towards goal tallies. We'll continue to struggle to break down teams that defend deep and narrow with a right-footed Milner and a blunt Clyne.

I don't think we should underestimate the importance of getting these positions right - just as important as any other position imo.

Times are changed but finan was solid for a good few years and it's important to have some solid players in the squad for the games you need to defend. Every player cannot be creative and focused on attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm thinking of buying the new jersey but if I don't does that make less a fan?

I want to be the best fan I can be so can I get some more tips on how not to be a lesser fan please?

I now know I need to pay Sky a sh1t load of money to watch Liverpool games but even then If I can't watch the game I must Sky + it and watch it alone.

I also now know I can't watch hurling when Liverpool play.

All advice welcome on how not to be a lesser fan and how I should support the team I have supported for over 30 years it seems I have been doing it wrong all along.

Some posters will take this post seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I'm thinking of buying the new jersey but if I don't does that make less a fan?

I want to be the best fan I can be so can I get some more tips on how not to be a lesser fan please?

I now know I need to pay Sky a sh1t load of money to watch Liverpool games but even then If I can't watch the game I must Sky + it and watch it alone.

All advice welcome on how not to be a lesser fan and how I should support the team I have supported for over 30 years it seems I have been doing it wrong all along.

Some posters will take this post seriously!

The fact that you are asking for advice proves you think there are better fans out there. Never ask for advice, instead pontificate to others so they will think you must be the best.

Anyone else got any questions for me? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Times are changed but finan was solid for a good few years and it's important to have some solid players in the squad for the games you need to defend. Every player cannot be creative and focused on attack.

I totally agree, you know what you get with Clyne and he's a solid 6 or 7 in every game. I'd like to keep Clyne as either a backup or as a rotation option.

But we also need someone who offers more going forward - ideally a top quality right back who is an all rounder, or if not then someone who can compete with Clyne, cover him and offer a different type of option.

Unfortunately budgetry contraints probably won't allow this, but it's missing out on this type of squad options/quality which keeps us a step behind the title challengers imo.

The other thing I'd say is that the modern game / Klopp's tactics demands more from a right back than solidity. Solid Finnsn and Arbeloa worked well for Rafa but i think would struggle in this system.

Clyne is a decent player but imo he will really struggle with the amount of games next year and also imo 2 assists and 0 goals in 37 league matches is nit quite enough of a contribution going forward for a player who finds himself in the final third an awful lot.

You can have have right backs who are defensively sound and a genuine attacking threat. Watching Monaco recently and Alves for Juve, and Spurs too, hammered home to me how much we're lacking in this area. Obviously someone of Alves' quality is dreamland stuff, but off the top of my head Coleman would be a great example and the type of player i would think it would be worth spending 30m on. Everton wouldn't want to sell to us, but that's the type of quality i would like ud to be looking at.

If you cant go to the game, and you're not at home in your armchair in full kit w@nker mode at least an hour before kick off, and stay at least an hour after so you dont miss all the post game interviews, then you're not a real fan.
    Warm ups start about four hours before kick off on match day. You need to provision up for the long haul ahead, because you sure as hell wont be taking your eyes off the TV , or leaving your seat, for the next 4-5 hours at least. Leave the kids burn down the house. Its grand.
    The wife has full range on the credit card for some weekend shopping? No bother. Sure there's nothing you can do about it anyway, the match is on!
    Prioritise!!
    If you can, have a kettle within arms reach. Tea is good. Food helps too. If you can, make sandwiches the night before. Indoor picnics are all the rage this year.
    Going to the toilet is not permitted. HOLD IT IN.
    Posting on boards whilst the match is on is allowed though. You may miss some of the game but getting one up on man united fans in a Liverpool match thread is maybe the number one priority of being a real fan.
    In all honesty the match is secondary to the slightly borderline psychotic childhood playground mentality of trolling opposition fans....otherwise known as 'bantz'. Practice this. "Top Bantz" is an attainable thing and not just something you hear about on the darkest recesses of the internet.
    This is just the tip of the big red liverbird iceberg... a small step to supporting your team. Its not too much to ask really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Do we still need to have Meltdown Monday folks

We won and qualified for the CL , hit our 2pts per game target , can we have one merry Monday please

Milner could be an option at right back next year. Very solid, good cross (usually), can attack and playing on his preferred side.

This is very important. Clyne's job is to defend, to get up and down the pitch, to support the play. We play 5 players who are meant to create and score, if we expect that he is hugely creative, we have a bigger problem.

I see his role as with Wijnaldum's goal - he stays out to engage the winger/FB, creates the space for Gini, then moves inside (as Lallan goes out) to start the move. It doesn't take great creativity, just great teamwork and undertsanding of their roles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Milner could be an option at right back next year. Very solid, good cross (usually), can attack and playing on his preferred side.

I agree , if we can solve Left back in the summer Clyne and Milner on the right is fine , funds can go elsewhere.

• Advertisement

We won and qualified for the CL , hit our 2pts per game target , can we have one merry Monday please

Shut yer face, banana boy! :D:D

You should never watch hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Would be nice, but this whole 'real fan' thing is gonna be flogged to death for a while yet.

Is it ok to attend the All Ireland final if Liverpool are playing that same day? Just want this cleared up way in advance of any potential fixture clashes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Don't know what's more tedious, genuine posts that argue they are the better fan, or long, unfunny, sarcastic posts that point out the obvious stupidity of the whole argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

now this is a real fan

6089290_R_SET?$Main768$&w=620&h=620

• Advertisement

............ this whole 'real fan' thing is gonna be flogged to death for a while yet.
    Don't know what's more tedious, genuine posts that argue they are the better fan, or long, unfunny, sarcastic posts that point out the obvious stupidity of the whole argument.

Well the flogging to death will continue so I'm sure that will be more tedious eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ricardo, the Porto right back on loan with Nice, could be a good option. 23, good on the ball, and can play wing back or even winger. He's been involved in a good few of Nice's goals that I've seen this year.

Trying to deal with Porto could be a nightmare, though.

Would be nice, but this whole 'real fan' thing is gonna be flogged to death for a while yet.

Real fans.

Bl9SYzv.jpg

Not Real fans.

YASqJqy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I don't know why people are failing to understand.

If you wanna watch something else instead of Liverpool that is not an issue at all.

But you can't claim to be as big a fan as someone who's would never watch anything instead of Liverpool.

That's basic logic. There is no problem with it but why would you even try to claim that there is no difference?

You have other sports or teams you love but to some people there is no sport or team bigger than Liverpool. Of course that makes them more of a fan because they live and breath Liverpool. Not hurling.........

No-one is saying real fan. I'm just responding as someone tried to defend missing a Liverpool game by saying it doesn't make them less of a fan when it kinda does if you choose to miss the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I remember a conversation about Milner being a solid choice at LB at the start of the season because he used to cut back onto his left foot to put in crosses last season so he could deliver the crosses from LB.

And he did.

He cut back and crossed from his right foot:P

Tbh, I think the crossing debate is a bit overdone, we don't have anybody good enough aerially to justify spending on a fullback with a great delivery just to see it headed out again. I would like a FB who is better at take-ons than we currently have, though.

• Advertisement

Steve Finnan had a great right foot and would have had a lot more assists under a less defensive manager. His passing range was excellent. He didn't have a lot of pace but he certainly wasn't a one trick pony who was only good at the defensive side of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Steve Finnan had a great right foot and would have had a lot more assists under a less defensive manager. His passing range was excellent. He didn't have a lot of pace but he certainly wasn't a one trick pony who was only good at the defensive side of things

A bit harsh to describe a defender who is very good at defending as a one-trick pony. These days it seems you're not a good FB unless you attack better than you defend, but I'd much rather have a Clyne than a Glen Johnson, say. Even at his peak.

I don't know why people are failing to understand.

If you wanna watch something else instead of Liverpool that is not an issue at all.

But you can't claim to be as big a fan as someone who's would never watch anything instead of Liverpool.

That's basic logic. There is no problem with it but why would you even try to claim that there is no difference?

You have other sports or teams you love but to some people there is no sport or team bigger than Liverpool. Of course that makes them more of a fan because they live and breath Liverpool. Not hurling.........

No-one is saying real fan. I'm just responding as someone tried to defend missing a Liverpool game by saying it doesn't make them less of a fan when it kinda does if you choose to miss the game

:D

Just let it go ---- I'd choose live sport any day over a tv game - As an Irish person I think GAA trumps all but that's neither here nor there - claiming to be a 'bigger fan' is school yard carry on.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    :D

Just let it go ---- I'd choose live sport any day over a tv game - As an Irish person I think GAA trumps all but that's neither here nor there - claiming to be a 'bigger fan' is school yard carry on.

As an Irish person I wouldn't watch gaa if there was nothing else on and I was bedridden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Isn't it great that our biggest concern is the Hurling v Liverpool debate? Check out the Arsenal thread for real carnage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

couple of pages of this argument was too much imo ,ridiculous now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

So we just need a GK, CB, RB, LB, CM , winger and striker for next season then, or did I miss some positions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

I agree

At the start of the season a very large number of posters said the metric for a good season was 2pts per game average. We all figured that would get CL. I was one of those. Happy with that. It's a step forward. It would be nice if we celebrated that for at least a week before shredding each other over transfers and rumours.

It's gonna be a longggggggg summer ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I'd like to see TAA play right back, milner can play there and can clyne. I don't think we need to buy an right back. We do however need a top drawer cc (van dijk please) and a high end fast left back that can creat goals not sure who to get on this one. Kieta is our cm and we need another speed demon up top. Selling sturridge would be madness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement