Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Remember Thicksin Terrorhawks fella? He got run out of town
    f1mrtt99jl9x.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Anyone watching Naby Keita in the Leipzig game?

Think we should go after their goalie as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Keita is certainly the type of player we need, been screaming out for a powerhouse midfielder for so long. Can looks like he could develop into that but we need the finished product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Charlie19 wrote: »

Peter Gulacsi is a former Liverpool player, he used to make the bench ahead of Brad Jones back in the day but he never made a senior appearance as far as I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Keita is certainly the type of player we need, been screaming out for a powerhouse midfielder for so long. Can looks like he could develop into that but we need the finished product.

The most exciting thing about Keita is that while you may refer to him as the finished product, he's still very young and has plenty of time to improve, and that's almost scary with how good he is already. It wasn't until October I started watching more of Leipzig, but I can say for certain he's my number one somewhat realistic choice for us this summer.

The one thing I'd disagree with you on is that he isn't really a powerhouse though (strong for his size alright) but he is exactly what we need; he can defend, dribble, shoot and most importantly for us can run for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Talisman wrote: »

Peter Gulacsi is a former Liverpool player, he used to make the bench ahead of Brad Jones back in the day but he never made a senior appearance as far as I recall.
    We could re-buy him for a world record fee? Oh wait.. that's not us :D

Another player that'd be well worth a look is Brozovic over at Inter.

Crazy how every goalkeeper that leaves Liverpool seems to get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Another player that'd be well worth a look is Brozovic over at Inter.

Crazy how every goalkeeper that leaves Liverpool seems to get better.

Something to do with the goalkeeping coach perhaps :pac:

Hahahahahahahaha

Talisman wrote: »

Oh I know, I was trying to be funny:)

He must of turned things around for himself and fair play to him but Its typical Liverpool, a keeper that doesn't get a look in at Anfield goes on to do well in another top league and we're left with Mig and Karius.

I suppose he would've found it hard to dislodge Reina from the No 1 spot, so I can see why he moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Sure 'member Martin Hansen scored this peach last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The number of ex Liverpool keepers who went to thrive elsewhere is scary - you can throw in Brad Friedel, will Danny Ward be the next I wonder.

The number of ex Liverpool keepers who went to thrive elsewhere is scary - you can throw in Brad Friedel, will Danny Ward be the next I wonder.

Sure even Dudek had two appearances in a four year spell at Madrid.

That position has been our real downfall over the last twenty odd years, If the club could find the right one, its a slot that could be held for at least ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

That's true. I thought they solved that position with Reina, but sure towards the end of his time at liverpool he turned to crap as well.. remember him being regularly beaten at his near post, particular in tight important games..
    Maybe it is the coaching lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

eyerer wrote: »
    That's true. I thought they solved that position with Reina, but sure towards the end of his time at liverpool he turned to crap as well.. remember him being regularly beaten at his near post, particular in tight important games..

Even a beach ball scored past him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There is a pressure that comes with playing for Liverpool. Mignolet has an army of abusive fans behind him at Anfield. They '' ahhhhhhhh''' at his mistakes and cause him to hoof it next time to avoid the abuse.

• Advertisement

Even a beach ball scored past him :(

Certainly wasn't his fault...some little blonde teenager from Liverpool thought it be great craic to throw it on the pitch.

The incident always reminds me of this track.

eyerer wrote: »

I honestly think that Reina would've done the job but a combination of him probably wanting a move and FSG wanting high earners out, resulted in the signing of Mig. TBH I'd wish we still had Pepe, we might have a PL title if he was there the nearly season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Certainly wasn't his fault...some little blonde teenager from Liverpool thought it be great craic to throw it on the pitch.

The incident always reminds me of this track.

Classic tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I honestly think that Reina would've done the job but a combination of him probably wanting a move and FSG wanting high earners out, resulted in the signing of Mig. TBH I'd wish we still had Pepe, we might have a PL title if he was there the nearly season.

Every 6 months, you had his agent hitching up his skirt and showing his hoop to all comers, a move to Arsenal being the favourite 'transfer rumour'. Pretty bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

There is a pressure that comes with playing for Liverpool. Mignolet has an army of abusive fans behind him at Anfield. They '' ahhhhhhhh''' at his mistakes and cause him to hoof it next time to avoid the abuse.

He is just as bad away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He was dreadful by the time he'd left. He wasn't even better than Mignolet has been.

He'd completely stopped saving anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Really not looking forward to this evening.

I think we're low on confidence and if Lucas is at the back we'll be exploited.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Really not looking forward to this evening.

I think we're low on confidence and if Lucas is at the back we'll be exploited.

Klopp mentioning Lucas as one of the leaders was worrying... suggests he will play.

Although klopp mentioned the Barcelona friendly in the presser too so it was a weird one..... dunno did Bobby give him a few swigs from his hip flask.

We've been so consistent against the better sides that I'm struggling not to be confident.

It's possible that Spurs took us too lightly because of our form and wanted to make a statement to prove they were one of the big boys, and if they'd played less naively they could've strangled us and eventually sucker punched us a few times.
    The level of our performance from minute 1 was so much higher across the pitch than it was against Leicester though.

Our issues with **** teams probably aren't down to one thing - tactical, personnel, strategic but also pure motivation.

I assumed the lads would be chomping at the bit for the game against Leicester because of how long it was since the previous game but we didn't see that at all. They ran around but they didn't look like their heads were in it.
    I can't believe we'll see something similar against Arsenal.

If we do then it'd be getting to the stage where you're having to write off large chunks of our first 11. Not because of talent but they need to show a reaction or they can, quite frankly, **** off and steal a living somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I can't see arsenal changing their tactics against us. Does anyone know is koscielby still injured from Bayern game? Big loss to them if so. Expecting a score draw or Liverpool win

We haven't beaten arsenal at anfield in years, a point wouldn't be bad to be fair coupled with a solid performance with the team putting in a shift.

Goal (I know, I know) are reporting Ozil out for tonights game.

Klopp reckons Liverpool have the spending power to land big targets.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-liverpool-fsg-summer-transfers-12690166

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/837793756543868928

Klopp: We'll spend money in the summer of course. Will it be a transfer window with a [break] even record?I don’t think it’s possible

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/837606371625431040

Klopp: "Qualifying for the Europa League, I'm not sure that I could sell it as success." #LFC

The U18s are playing Man City at the moment here is the team sheet

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6EelUEWAAA308n.jpg:large

Liverpool lead through Liam Miller though the game is a dead rubber, both are already qualified for the stage 2 mini-league of 7 matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Good to see Klopp saying qualifying for the Europa League would be a failure.

Correct mentality for a Liverpool manager even though if I suspect it's not shared amongst the majority of his players.

Klopp can't control how much money we get in (beyond a certain point).

That comment about net spend could be as much about a lack of salable assets (eg no Benteke) as about how we can't afford not to spend loads.

If Coutinho buggered off for £50m we'd struggle to have a net investment in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Coutinho - is he our most inconsistent ever top level player?

Net Spend Net shmend

What matters is the right players not what they cost or whether the ins and outs represent a net spend, Liverpool have shown the ability to sell small and buy big in the past and end up with a squad no better.

Hard to say, he's still only 24.

Hard to say, he's still only 24.

Been with us long enough and has more than enough experience to deliver more consistently. He's far from a major concern but he frustrates me hugely.

mosstin wrote: »
    Been with us long enough and has more than enough experience to deliver more consistently. He's far from a major concern but he frustrates me hugely.

With a player like that, they can very seldom perform unless those around them are as well.

There's only so many times we can expect him to dribble past 4 lads or curl one in from 30 yards.

If control, movement and passing is as atrocious as it was from the other 2 next to him against Leicester, his hands are tied.

I don't think I can ever remember a game where everyone was on song but Coutinho wasn't, except maybe coming back from injury.

Net Spend Net shmend

What matters is the right players not what they cost or whether the ins and outs represent a net spend, Liverpool have shown the ability to sell small and buy big in the past and end up with a squad no better.

It's a good indicator of where we're at.

If we, for example, had a net spend of 10m but that amounted to selling Coutinho and others for 70 and spending 80 on 4 new lads, I'm not sure you could say we moved forward much.

A negative spend of 10m where we get just the right CF for 20 and sell a load of players who don't do anything would automatically improve us and if it was the right CF it could be transformative.

Still, it likely won't be those kinds of extremes and to do what we need to we'll probably need to be spending 60-80m this summer which will probably be 30-50m net.

That's simply the value of the deficit in squad quality we need to be able to invest this summer.

We might get lucky and get 4 Matip-like signings but mostly it'll be lads in the 15-£40m bracket.

The U18s are playing Man City at the moment here is the team sheet

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6EelUEWAAA308n.jpg:large

Liverpool lead through Liam Miller though the game is a dead rubber, both are already qualified for the stage 2 mini-league of 7 matches

FT Liverpool 2-0 Miller and McAuley.

McAuley seem to be showing some promise.

I haven't seen him play, has he a future with us or will he end up at Championship/bottom half PL level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jesus Bournemouth are rubbish and haven't won a game in ages So I assume they are playing us soon enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ibrahimovic taking a few pointers from Fellaini by the looks of things....

NukaCola wrote: »

In fairness, that was filthy by Mings. Both facing bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

mosstin wrote: »
    In fairness, that was filthy by Mings. Both facing bans.

Absolutely, would have thought he'd be a bit more disciplined though.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Easy now tigers. Utd will only become something to worry about when there's nothing else to play for.

With Arsenal, Spurs and Man City ahead of you the odds are in your favour for CL footy next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭mormank

Nice to see someone called McAuley scoring without screwing up my fantasy team for a change! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Korat wrote: »
    the odds are in your favour for CL footy next season.

May the odds always be in our favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭mormank

Ah lads, things could always be worse. We could have paid 90million or whatever for a useless show pony! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nice to see Bournemouth hang on. Nicer still was to see Pogba have a stinker and Ibra miss a pen with a possible ban on the way.

Couldn't win at home even with the help of Friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

NukaCola wrote: »

The amount of crying in the match thread about time waisting after their visit to Anfield is very lol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sky Sports - 'Klopp Could Sign Six'

Jurgen Klopp does not expect any restrictions to be placed on Liverpool's summer transfer budget and has revealed he could sign up to six players ahead of next season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement