Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

So we just need a GK, CB, RB, LB, CM , winger and striker for next season then, or did I miss some positions ?

I think it's sort of presumed Klopp will stick with Mig, Karius & maybe Ward too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So we just need a GK, CB, RB, LB, CM , winger and striker for next season then, or did I miss some positions ?

We are missing a good Left Corner Forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Augeo wrote: »
    I think it's sort of presumed Klopp will stick with Mig, Karius & maybe Ward too

Rightfully so, Mignolet has been fantastic for months now, he's dominating that 6 yard box now to compliment his already excellent shot stopping.

Rightfully so, Mignolet has been fantastic for months now, he's dominating that 6 yard box now to compliment his already excellent shot stopping.

Achterberg is a class act :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

DAXzj_Xy_Xc_AAMgy_H.jpg

7785__8768__lap_560X315.jpg

10_692045.png

DAXOQlaW0AAGG9p.jpg

lucas-leiva-of-liverpool-with-his-award-for-ten-years-service-during-picture-id686359320?s=612x612

tumblr_oqbcmhREA01slfxpeo1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

^^ I'd be worried about the bould Lucas trying to drop the hand on Kenny there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

GioUybn.jpg

Games 20-30 was our rough period around January, which goes without saying really.

Our issues were largely exasperated due to injuries and Mane and Matip missing time due to the AFCON. But for that to have hurt us so bad in a season where we didn't go deep in the cups and have Europe to contend with, it really highlights how much extra depth we need to get into the squad for next season.

Also, look at that final third from the other 4 teams. That is an incredible run of form. Next year the top 6 is going to be just as competitive, and whoever ends up in the CL positions will have battled hard for it. I think the future of the PL is going to involve a fair bit of chopping and changing in those 4 positions over the next few years. Investment is key for us to not be left behind, however.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

tumblr_oqbcmhREA01slfxpeo1_500.jpg

If Barca come along looking for him this summer, just sell them his kid. They are identical so no-one will know the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Don't know what's more tedious, genuine posts that argue they are the better fan, or long, unfunny, sarcastic posts that point out the obvious stupidity of the whole argument.

Just as well we're all so funny, then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If Barca come along looking for him this summer, just sell them his kid. They are identical so no-one will know the difference.
    :) It's not like they don't have form for that sort of thing. FC Barcelona sanctioned for buying child players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Do we not also need a Left Half Back, Right Corner Forward and Full Forward........................ sorry, thought I was in the hurling thread :o

As an Irish person I wouldn't watch gaa if there was nothing else on and I was bedridden

Well then you're not as Irish as PhuckHugh so PhuckHugh ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

We need more Pandas. If you don't have a Panda, then you're not a real fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yawns wrote: »
    We need more Pandas. If you don't have a Panda, then you're not a real fan.
    AlTeMKL.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I don’t think we’ll be looking for a right back or a keeper. Clyne, Milner and TAA is enough for RB. We need to spend elsewhere. Clyne is not a concern defensively. We badly need a CB, LB, CM, Winger and a CF. Hopefully Sturridge will stay. So that’s at least 150-170 million we need to spend – yikes a lot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Knex. wrote: »
    GioUybn.jpg

Games 20-30 was our rough period around January, which goes without saying really.

Our issues were largely exasperated due to injuries and Mane and Matip missing time due to the AFCON. But for that to have hurt us so bad in a season where we didn't go deep in the cups and have Europe to contend with, it really highlights how much extra depth we need to get into the squad for next season.

Also, look at that final third from the other 4 teams. That is an incredible run of form. Next year the top 6 is going to be just as competitive, and whoever ends up in the CL positions will have battled hard for it. I think the future of the PL is going to involve a fair bit of chopping and changing in those 4 positions over the next few years. Investment is key for us to not be left behind, however.

The season really does divide quite neatly into three segments.

Aug-Dec: Excellent in attack, awful in defense
    Jan: Awful in attack, awful in defense.
    Feb-May: Decent in attack, poor to decent in defense.

Coutiniho deserves huge credit for our positive finish too - 7 goals and 2(?) assists in final 9 games of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Sappy404 wrote: »
    A bit harsh to describe a defender who is very good at defending as a one-trick pony. These days it seems you're not a good FB unless you attack better than you defend, but I'd much rather have a Clyne than a Glen Johnson, say. Even at his peak.

I'd have to disagree with the part in bold. A peak Glen Johnson is exactly what we need in this team imo, would be a serious outlet on the right and would have helped us cope better with the loss of Mane and wasn't a bad defender at his peak and always had pace to recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Glen "Cut inside onto his weak foot and drag a shot wide every time" Johnson.

mormank wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with the part in bold. A peak Glen Johnson is exactly what we need in this team imo, would be a serious outlet on the right and would have helped us cope better with the loss of Mane and wasn't a bad defender at his peak and always had pace to recover.
    A focused Glen Johnson was a good defender. For this reason he was better defensively as a left back because he had to concentrate on the game.

At Chelsea, Mourinho used to criticise his contribution to games - similar to his treatment of Luke Shaw. Like a typical British Premier League player, Johnson used to moan about his treatment by the manager rather than focus on what he needed to do in order to retain his place in the team. His behaviour earned him a move to Portsmouth and no other club was interested in him at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Boom_Bap wrote: »

The Baby Faced Assassin... :D

• Advertisement

10_692045.png

Was that at a LFC event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Have we tied Can down to a new contract yet?
    If we got to group stages in champs league, I think he can be a real assit. No one will pay us too much respect and he really thrives in games where the opposition go at us.

And I'm suprised we never tried clyne at left back and Milner at right. Wouldn have lost out on too much of our defensive solidity but would have gained an it more going forward.

Have to say, in delighted we got fourth.
    Hopefully klopp can push us onto bigger things and not bow out quietly like Rodgers.
    Massive test ahead of us next year. Kids and b team in league cup and fa cup please. They should be good enough to get through the earlier rounds.
    Have to go deep in Europe and get at least fourth.
    Exciting times ahead.

500.gif

Also could we squash the beefs and bury the hatchet and the bickering?
    We'll have plenty to fight about next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

What is life without holding on to your beefs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think that Clyne played at left back once, it was a bad experiment. He cut to his right foot more that Milner does and got a bit lost at times. So I wouldn't be a fan of that.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Ok Dad, we'll be good. I promise.

Ok Dad, we'll be good. I promise.

(waits for Dad to leave)

FOOD FIGHT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I honestly didn't realise how many people had yet to reach a point of no return re: Mignolet. It seems no matter how many goals he threw in over the years he was never more than a timely purple patch away from being forgiven by most people.

Personally I think the time is right to shift him as his value will never be higher, and I think we'll seriously regret not going for Pickford or Butland this summer as I feel they're both going to go to bigger clubs pretty soon. Pickford's distribution in particular makes him a stand-out option; he'd be perfect for Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    What is life without holding on to your beef

ooh-matron-with-text.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OwaynOTT wrote: »

To galvanise the thread let's all join together in laughing at this stupidity...
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    AAAArsenal are gooooonnnaaa getttttt you!

I find it hard to laugh at Arsenal supporters to be honest, we aspire to their level of consistent nearly men mediocrity. On the other hand when Ajax beat Man Utd......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mignolet's decent. His numpty stuff seems to come in spells of a couple of games in a row rather than it happening consistently. I'd like to get better than Mignolet, but who realistically is there? I just don't think it's major priority.

People saying Pickford, but although he's had a fantastic season for Sunderland, it's just one season. It'd be madness to get rid of Mignolet in the summer to bring in Pickford who let's face it, could just be decent when busy rather than having the concentration of a top keeper.

There's actually no keeper in the Premier League i'd particulary have over Mignolet and by that, i mean keepers who we'd have a chance of actually signing. I'm not talking about De Gea or Courtouis etc.

Someone like Kasper Schmeichel, i'd be happy to get him but is there much between him and Mignolet? I don't think so. To replace Mignolet, i'd want a world class keeper rather than just someone of similar standard, otherwise what's the point??

monkey9 wrote: »
    People saying Pickford, but although he's had a fantastic season for Sunderland, it's just one season. It'd be madness to get rid of Mignolet in the summer to bring in Pickford who let's face it, could just be decent when busy rather than having the concentration of a top keeper.
    I wouldn't touch Pickford. It's easier for goalkeepers to look good when they play for a team that's on the defensive in most games. It shouldn't be forgotten that Mignolet also looked good when he played for Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Pickford isn't even the best English goalkeeper to go for, I'd rather Butland. Either way I'm sure we won't be getting another keeper. CB, LB, CM, and a versatile attacker are what we need.

I honestly didn't realise how many people had yet to reach a point of no return re: Mignolet. It seems no matter how many goals he threw in over the years he was never more than a timely purple patch away from being forgiven by most people.

What has forgiving got to do with anything? The guy is 29 and just about entering the prime of his goalkeeping career where experience added to athleticism will deliver peak performance. Of course he'd made mistakes but who hasn't? If it looked like he wasn't learning from them, like he wasn't improving and like he wasn't maturing I'd be banging the drum for him to leave too but you can't judge the guy by what he did early in the season or in previous seasons. Since being dropped and winning his place back he's been very good. He's never going to be absolutely top class a la DDG, Courtouis or Loris but he's up there with the best of the rest on his form this calendar year and the back four seem to have developed confidence in him.

Can't we give some credit to the guy for knuckling down and improving and perhaps some credit to Klopp and the coaching staff for how they have developed him?
    Personally I think the time is right to shift him as his value will never be higher, and I think we'll seriously regret not going for Pickford or Butland this summer as I feel they're both going to go to bigger clubs pretty soon. Pickford's distribution in particular makes him a stand-out option; he'd be perfect for Liverpool.

So far Pickford is a one season wonder. He does look good but then so did Ming when he was playing for a team where he was facing a barrage of shots on goal every game. Butland I like too but he's just back from a serious injury (which was complicated and broke down when nearly healed the first time) and he isn't exactly error prone either if you look at his pass to Redmond yesterday which almost resulted in a goal for Southampton!!

I think Ming has done enough to warrant the #1 jersey for next year. If his judgement continues to mature as he enters his 30's he should only get better.

The only way we could justify transfer funds for a GK would be for an absolutely top notch finished article GK but there aren't many of those floating about.

Goal keeper talk is a waste of time - Klopp is not selling anyone other than Manninger and I'll assume that's actually a merciful release. We all know where the money/talent needs to go so Mig has less to worry about in the first instance - as Jurgen put it himself if an opposition player has reached the point of shooting at goal others have failed to do their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Agree with this, while Mig has been excellent this last while I can still never get it out of my head that he is just one brain fart away from yet another crisis of confidence. We have seen him play well before only to go through awful patches of form that cost us points and games. No-one ever wins the PL with a dodgy keeper so now is the perfect time to upgrade on Mig while his stock is back up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I like to think that yesterday's step forward started with this...

Screen-Shot-2015-12-13-at-20.11.02.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The son of Jan Molby and Neil Mellor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It's probably been covered to death, but great to see cams goal get the motd goal of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

cjmc wrote: »
    It's probably been covered to death, but great to see cams goal get the motd goal of the season

Really thought it was miles better than the miki or giroud one.

Thought Carrolls was the main competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

noodler wrote: »
    Really thought it was miles better than the miki or giroud one.

Thought Carrolls was the main competition.

Idk I just loved the way Carroll got so much power on his. Can seemed yo guide it in more than anything. 2 great goals tho. . I though mhikitaruan goal was much better than giroud, giroud sorta stuck out a leg and it went in whereas mikis was a true scorpion type

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Idk I just loved the way Carroll got so much power on his. Can seemed yo guide it in more than anything. 2 great goals tho. . I though mhikitaruan goal was much better than giroud, giroud sorta stuck out a leg and it went in whereas mikis was a true scorpion type

Mikis one should not have been included imo as it was offside.

Personally I though Hazards goal would probably win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

monkey9 wrote: »
    Mignolet's decent. His numpty stuff seems to come in spells of a couple of games in a row rather than it happening consistently. I'd like to get better than Mignolet, but who realistically is there? I just don't think it's major priority.

There's actually no keeper in the Premier League i'd particulary have over Mignolet and by that, i mean keepers who we'd have a chance of actually signing. I'm not talking about De Gea or Courtouis etc.

Someone like Kasper Schmeichel, i'd be happy to get him but is there much between him and Mignolet? I don't think so. To replace Mignolet, i'd want a world class keeper rather than just someone of similar standard, otherwise what's the point??

I would keep Mignolet too most probably. He had a fantastic turn around this season and finished very strongly. Seems Karius spurred him on? Karius will have his chances in League Cup and FA Cup anyway.

On Pickford... I have to say i'm blown away from what I have seen of him. He looks like a really top class keeper already and he's barely out of small shorts. If we were to sign another keeper, I'd take him. Wouldnt mind if Karius left for him.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hope Ward stays with Huddersfield for the season if they get promoted, or goes on loan to another PL club. It'd be nice to have the option rather than have him at the club as 3rd choice, which he probably wouldn't want.

Anyone think Karius might leave and Ward be Mignolet's main competition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mignolet will be the main keeper I think for the league and CL.

Karius will more than likely get the League & FA Cup games.

I'd leave Ward at Huddersfield for the season if they want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

love to see us make a statement and go for Douglas Costa, Bayern looking to get rid.

Costa on the left, mane on the right. Costa is comfortable with both sides so could provide cover for mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Mr.H wrote: »
    It's gonna be a longggggggg summer ?

Ah sure we'll have the hurling to keep us going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So Grizman says there is a 6/10 chance he is joining United even their top target it trolling them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So Grizman says there is a 6/10 chance he is joining United even their top target it trolling them :pac:

He said he was 8/10 staying with AM. I think maths isn't his strong point. Lucky he's good at the auld soccer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement