Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say myself Griezmann will stay till after next summer's World Cup and have a season playing with Lacazette the two of them then link up and shoot France to the World Cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is Werner suppose to be playing through the middle for us next season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is Werner suppose to be playing through the middle for us next season.

Nah, Werner is too old. Should stick with the chairman role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ricero wrote: »

Should have bought him a pair of mizuno off the bargain rack, he'll grow out of them by the time the season starts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lets play Sell/Loan/Keep :pac:

From back to front (I'll list my plausible candidates only)

First team

Moreno - sell
    Lovren - sell (just when you think he's cured he reminds me of why he is also Nervol)
    Klaven - keep
    Lucas - keep (mainly so he can coach the kids)
    Henderson - sell (suspect his heel issue is going to be persistent, also find the lack of clarity by the club concerning!)
    Ings (yes I know he's hardly played enough to count but still..) keep and hope
    Sturridge - sell

Squad/youth/loans

Mannigner - release
    Ward - loan (hopefully Huddersfield in the Prem)
    Bogdan - sell
    Flannagan - sell (cult hero or not he's never going to displace Clyne or stop TAA progressing)
    Wisdom - sell
    Sakho -sell
    Allan - loan (Berthas Hurlin' have to get through the EL 3rd qualifier, a second loan will only happen if they win it)
    Ojo - keep
    Kent - sell
    Wilson - loan (too good for the U23s, needs to play at a higher level)
    Marković - sell
    Awoniyi - sell

Obviously others will leave but no one cares if Conor Randell etc are here or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would agree with all that Harry except Henderson. When he is on his game, and he generally is, he is very good. He has proven himself. We stuck with sturidge so long that Henderson is due more faith in his recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Damien360 wrote: »
    I would agree with all that Harry except Henderson. When he is on his game, and he generally is, he is very good. He has proven himself. We stuck with sturidge so long that Henderson is due more faith in his recovery.

yeah, would definitely give Hendo another year.

Lucas i'd like to keep if he was ok with staying, but I totally understand him wanting to play more. He's too young to be moving into coaching - let him go off and play regularly for 3 years, then he can come back and take a coaching role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Bogdan - sell

You mean we didn't do that already??

tumblr_nl1keyguJi1qarziro1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd keep Henderson but I find another player to be captain.

You mean we didn't do that already??

He's been out with a very serious ACL knee injury for most of the year, so pretty much unsellable till that's healed and he's rehabbed fully.
    I'd keep Henderson but I find another player to be captain.

Seems the best option there for me... the Hendo/Milner double act is a pretty good one really. Off the field (which is where captaincy is actually important) Hendo seems head and shoulders better than any other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Keep Henderson but give the captaincy to someone else, Coutinho or Lallana for me.

I'd also keep Lovren, good enough for the bench and cup games.

Keep Henderson but give the captaincy to someone else, Coutinho or Lallana for me.

Neither come across as having the off-field personality for captaincy imo.
    And Coutinho's English is still pretty poor. I'd also rather he wasn't burdened by all the extra weight of captaincy - just let me him do what he does and not have to focus on all the dull mundanities.

The least important part of being a captain is the on-field stuff imo. Leaders are leaders on the field regardless if they're captains or not. Carra was never official club captain - do you think he'd have been different if he wore the armband?

The captains role primarily is to chat to the young players, welcome and help settle in new players, sort out the squads ticket allocations, be the conduit for taking concerns from the players to the manager, deal with all the extra media stuff etc.

I don't see anyone in the squad really suitable for all this stuff beyond Hendo and Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Two awful choices for the role. Nobody in the squad outside of Hendo or Milner stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The only way Hendo loses captaincy is if he leaves imo. I reckon Coutinho would make a great replacement tho, he may not be the loudest but he can lead by example, and there is no one at the club setting a better example at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The only way Hendo loses captaincy is if he leaves imo. I reckon Coutinho would make a great replacement tho, he may not be the loudest but he can lead by example, and there is no one at the club setting a better example at the moment.

Matip?, Can?

I mean, Lallana did spend a few years as Southampton captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Are we having a go at Henderson now? He's staying and he remains captain. I think that's not an issue, lads.

No one's having a go, he's missed one third of the season through an innocuous injury, it's fair to question his position in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep, questions are going to be asked and rightfully so. He deserves next year to try and prove his fitness/work his way back into the team but another season like this and he'll be moved on.

• Advertisement

No one's having a go, he's missed one third of the season through an innocuous injury, it's fair to question his position in the team.

Ok, fair enough on the injury record. But he's going nowhere and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ok, fair enough on the injury record. But he's going nowhere and rightly so.

Aye, we need to build.

There will be enough departures without adding Hendo to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

~Rebel~ wrote:
    The least important part of being a captain is the on-field stuff imo. Leaders are leaders on the field regardless if they're captains or not. Carra was never official club captain - do you think he'd have been different if he wore the armband?

Remember when sami was captain. Towards the end he started playing poorly. Everyone assumed it was because his legs where gone. Gerrard was given the captaincy and it was like both players were given a new lease of life. Sami just concentrated on defending and didn't have to ensure players on the field were doing their jobs. He did his and he did it better than ever. Gerrard however went on the embrace the role and become the beat player to ever play for the club.

I agree that for the most part being captain means nothing. But for some players it can have a mentality change.

I would like to bring in a top class defender or defensive mid and give them the arm band. Someone aggressive who can get the rest of the team rilled up if they are not performing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I'd leave Ward at Huddersfield for the season if they want him.

We could always see if a bigger club comes in for him. Always a chance if Celtic do was up losing their keeper to Chelsea or City

He won't be sold this summer anyway......... ludicrous to suggest he would be given the fact we need to improve both the first 11 and the squad. Selling your captain doesn't really fit in logically.

What's worrying is this is the 2nd season where he had issues/injuries........ 26 and 27 total appearances respectively according to wiki.

That's after being available (and playing) for most games in the 6 previous PL seasons (including the two at Sunderland).

The heel thing is a concern for the lad no doubt.

Augeo wrote: »
    He won't be sold this summer anyway......... ludicrous to suggest he would be given the fact we need to improve both the first 11 and the squad. Selling your captain doesn't really fit in logically.

What's worrying is this is the 2nd season where he had issues/injuries........ 26 and 27 total appearances respectively according to wiki.

That's after being available (and playing) for most games in the 6 previous PL seasons (including the two at Sunderland).

The heel thing is a concern for the lad no doubt.

I just think there are debates on this thread that shouldn't exist and Henderson's presence at the club is one one them. I absolutely agree with you that he won't be sold so why is there a debate?? :confused: It's a nonsense.

Yeah his injury and lack of info is peculiar but i don't want him sold so i don't worry about it. There probably is something going on (not in a big way imo) but i'd love Henderson to be a Liverpool player for the next ten years. I believe he's growing into his club captaincy role.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    ..........why is there a debate?? :confused: It's a nonsense..............

Someone suggested he'd be sold, most replies were polite replies detailing why he won't & shouldn't be...... small bit of nonsense (the not most replies) is par for the course imo :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Someone suggested he'd be sold, most replies were polite replies detailing why he won't & shouldn't be...... small bit of nonsense (the not most replies) is par for the course imo :)

Shut up and quit Boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Spanish newspaper AS reporting that we have signed a pre-contract agreement with Iker Casillas, who is leaving Porto this summer.

36 years of age - experience would be great but how is his overall play since leaving Real?

That said, I don't believe it anyway. I'm confident we will start the season with Mignolet as number one, Karius number two and Ward either sold or on loan.

Other than that, we have all the usual links today - Van Dijk, Oxlade-Chamberlain, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think Henderson is a captain of the time.

The Roy Keane, blood and guts, roaring and shouting is a thing of the past. By all accounts he is actually very good in the role and very approachable. I'd imagine he is hard working and a someone that people rely on which are also qualities of a good captain.

I'd have questions about where he plays but as a captain I think he is OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Henderson is a machine, he runs people down and never lets it's go, he will always track his man, unlike Can who will risk leaving a guy run by him time and time again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Selling dejan would be madness imo. He's been our best cb this year. If we're looking to find a cb who won't make mistakes every now and again we'll be waiting a while. Especially given our system. We do need to buy a top class cb tho but we need to keep Lovren and Matip too.

Moreno is gone but I reckon it's just going to be sessegnon coming in. I don't think full back will be a priority at all for Jurgen. I think he'll have Milner and Sessegnon split games back there. Then a year from now Trent and sess are our starting fullbacks and that is a VERY exciting grouping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Shaking my head at any posts even suggesting Hendo shouldn't be captain

It's like the Costa staredown never even happened!!

vw2H6w.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Selling dejan would be madness imo. He's been our best cb this year. If we're looking to find a cb who won't make mistakes every now and again we'll be waiting a while. Especially given our system. We do need to buy a top class cb tho but we need to keep Lovren and Matip too.

Moreno is gone but I reckon it's just going to be sessegnon coming in. I don't think full back will be a priority at all for Jurgen. I think he'll have Milner and Sessegnon split games back there. Then a year from now Trent and sess are our starting fullbacks and that is a VERY exciting grouping.

:eek:

He's nowhere near good enough, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Matip has been our best CB this year. Sakho is a better CB than him as well.

Lovren regularly runs out of position & anything can happen when the ball is at his feet. He has improved but not good enough as a starter for a top 6 club.

Van Dijk is easily a better CB as well but will cost huge money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What do you have against good defending?

Last year you were saying how good Moreno was and how he offers so much going forward.
    So much so that he was on the bench all season and his Liverpool career looks over.

Now,Lovren who I am convinced is the root of a lot of our defensive problems as he spreads panic among the back line and keeper. Sunday's penalty incident being a perfect example.

How do you think he's better than Matip and why do you not think he can be upgraded?

If we want to win titles then we need upgrades all over the park, the best last season who got us fourth place is not good enough for higher places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

No no, Matip is our best overall, but Lovren is very hot and cold. He can be imperious, but is liable to a brain fart!

Another big, commanding CB (like VVD) beside Matip is a much better pairing than anyone with Lovren. Someone who can be trusted to cover an entire quadrant of the pitch when the LB goes forward, without worrying about every counter attack...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Liverpool are the third most improved team in the league this year.

https://www.facebook.com/thefootballrepublic/posts/1061227013979408:0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

murpho999 wrote: »
    What do you have against good defending?

Last year you were saying how good Moreno was and how he offers so much going forward.
    So much so that he was on the bench all season and his Liverpool career looks over.

Now,Lovren who I am convinced is the root of a lot of our defensive problems as he spreads panic among the back line and keeper. Sunday's penalty incident being a perfect example.

How do you think he's better than Matip and why do you not think he can be upgraded?

If we want to win titles then we need upgrades all over the park, the best last season who got is fourth place is not good enough for higher places.

no problem signing a new center half to take lovrens place as a starter but would defiantly keep lovren as backup. He has been good in fairness this season despite the odd brain fart.

Iker Casillias on a free is doing the rounds this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Would love for us to sign VVD even if it took 50 million, I reckon he would really improve us and He would be a real statement considering the teams that are reportedly after him.

Matip is currently our best defender, Lovren isn't far behind him tho, I reckon hes become an easy target, Sakho isn't even in the conversation imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

You can sign who you want in defence - but unless we sort protection for them in midfield we will see more of the same

• Advertisement

no problem signing a new center half to take lovrens place as a starter but would defiantly keep lovren as backup. He has been good in fairness this season despite the odd brain fart.

He'll play plenty games anyway, even if we get an upgrade on him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think Lovern would get in any of the top 4 squads and wed be stupid to get rid of him,
    Doesn't mean he has to start every week but we need a good squad for next year,
    Id love to see Karius go on loan to a prem team next year if we get Iker, He needs to be playing to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Still not convinced by Matip - as a pairing him and Lovren just don't seem "right". Matip looks like a rolls royce on the ball in possession going forward but i've yet to see him consistently crunch a guy, snuff out danger and be the aggressor. I think he needs a more combative player beside him - a proper dominator. It's extremely difficult to get a world class centre half these days. Arsenal haven't had one in a decade. United had one of the best ever with Rio/Vidic but you take Bailly out of that team and they are possibly the worst set of centre defenders ever to grace that pitch.

There's a huge difference in playing for a Top4 team than all others. The expectation is heavy - for Liverpool you have not the best holding philosophy in front of you. Look at Chelsea this season, sideshow bob and Cahill look like world beaters when you have Kante and Matic in front of them.

It really is time to fill that gap for Liverpool. Klopp has to get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think Lovern would get in any of the top 4 squads and wed be stupid to get rid of him,
    Id love to see Karius go on loan to a prem team next year if we get Iker, He needs to be playing to improve

I'd prefer to give Karius domestic cups and occasional league games, but Casillas on the bench in CL games does have a nice feel to it. He's not old for a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Klopp mentioned that he would be talking to Michael Edwards yesterday about confirming the club's transfer targets. The media know nothing so there'll be 6 weeks of speculation until the transfer window opens.

Iker Casillas would offer a wealth of experience especially for the Champions League and also add a bit of spice to the games with Man Utd because Mourinho hates him with a passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Dickerty wrote: »

I'd prefer to give Karius domestic cups and occasional league games, but Casillas on the bench in CL games does have a nice feel to it. He's not old for a keeper.
    I just don't see Casillas signing unless he's been promised games, Karius would develop so much quick if he plays week in week out in the Prem, Id love to see him go to Bournmouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

How has Casillas done at Porto? He was a liability for Spain in the last WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Lovren is meh tbh. He'll be grand as back up but he's a liability imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Can't believe our net spend is still zero. Joke shop club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Lets play Sell/Loan/Keep :pac:

From back to front (I'll list my plausible candidates only)

First team

Moreno - sell
    Lovren - sell (just when you think he's cured he reminds me of why he is also Nervol)
    Klaven - keep
    Lucas - keep (mainly so he can coach the kids)
    Henderson - sell (suspect his heel issue is going to be persistent, also find the lack of clarity by the club concerning!)
    Ings (yes I know he's hardly played enough to count but still..) keep and hope
    Sturridge - sell

Squad/youth/loans

Mannigner - release
    Ward - loan (hopefully Huddersfield in the Prem)
    Bogdan - sell
    Flannagan - sell (cult hero or not he's never going to displace Clyne or stop TAA progressing)
    Wisdom - sell
    Sakho -sell
    Allan - loan (Berthas Hurlin' have to get through the EL 3rd qualifier, a second loan will only happen if they win it)
    Ojo - keep
    Kent - sell
    Wilson - loan (too good for the U23s, needs to play at a higher level)
    Marković - sell
    Awoniyi - sell

Obviously others will leave but no one cares if Conor Randell etc are here or not.

I can't believe Bogdan is still on the books. Some amount of dross that needs shifting this summer alright. And apparently Lucas still has a year left on his deal. I thought he was being released.

Anyway, I'd keep Sturridge, Lovren and Hendo but effectively as squad players. We're not good at getting the right players in and, as unreliable as they are, I don't think the club can be trusted to upgrade on them and get deputies in for the bench.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement