Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

LiamoSail wrote: »
    How has Casillas done at Porto? He was a liability for Spain in the last WC.
    Certainly not a liability at Porto. His tendency to block/parry a shot and try to gather up the ball afterwards would be a potential point of concern in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Talisman wrote: »
    Certainly not a liability at Porto. His tendency to block/parry a shot and try to gather up the ball afterwards would be a potential point of concern in the Premier League.

Perhaps he could teach the back four in front of him how to clarify what a keeper s job is . . Organise the defence in front of him .
    An unorganised or ill disciplined defence will make any keeper look bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Both cb's could do with a upgrade imo,neither are near good enough quality,both have their good and bad points

Well we conceded 42 PL goals this year............ from 50 in 2015/2016 and 48 the previous season so there's improvement there.

Matip >>>> Škrtel anyway it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I just don't see Casillas signing unless he's been promised games, Karius would develop so much quick if he plays week in week out in the Prem, Id love to see him go to Bournmouth

Just not on our team?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

x43r0 wrote: »
    Shaking my head at any posts even suggesting Hendo shouldn't be captain

It's like the Costa staredown never even happened!!

vw2H6w.gif

What about when Coutinho squared up to Nzonzi when he was playing for Stoke a few seasons ago?? Tis one of my favourite incidents as coutinho is half the size of Nzonzi but never backs down. Love it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Both cb's could do with a upgrade imo,neither are near good enough quality,both have their good and bad points

Matip is not near good enough quality? I must go get my eyes tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The 92 goals scored in the 2016/17 season:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Matip is quality. Reads the game very, very well imo. Decent on the ball, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I might have missed it if it's been talked about, but how's Mane doing in regards to the CL qualifiers in August?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Talisman wrote: »
    The 92 goals scored in the 2016/17 season:

So many excellent goals in that video :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

So many excellent goals in that video :)
    Yup, Coutinho in particular scored some amount of beauties.

Milkers wrote: »
    Matip is not near good enough quality? I must go get my eyes tested.

ok

Knex. wrote: »
    Matip is quality. Reads the game very, very well imo. Decent on the ball, too.

hes good but not quality imo,not strong enough,his passing is awful sometimes.we need a monster at cb,a leader,neither of our current top 2 fit the bill, our best monster is at palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Let's not forget Sakho's only played 8 games for Palace.

hes good but not quality imo,not strong enough,his passing is awful sometimes.we need a monster at cb,a leader,neither of our current top 2 fit the bill, our best monster is at palace.

I think Matip is better than Sakho, tbh. Sakho is more a highlight reel, but Matip is more consistent. And I was always a big fan of Sakho.

He gets the edge in his passing, which is great at threading the lines and putting us on the front foot, and that we do miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Great video, so many goal scorers in this side. Utd' will only have about 3 of any note and the running time would be about 3 minutes shorter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Sakho missed 52 games through injury with us. That doesn't take into account any suspensions or doping. Some monster alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sakho does not suit out style simple as, He didn't suit PSG 's either,
    He needs full back to sit narrow beside him , holding midfielder in front and to hold a deep line ,
    If u can't see he doesn't have the tools to play for us then you really don't understand football . Its like Morgan and Huth last year the team sat deep to counter and full back where thight , so makes life much easier for the bull dozening type center back,
    We need someone who is comfortable being left alone and also at times has to run the channels Rio's the best example or Koscielny, VD is perfect for this , I don't think Keane would suit our play either,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sakho does not suit out style simple as, He didn't suit PSG 's either,
    He needs full back to sit narrow beside him , holding midfielder in front and to hold a deep line ,
    If u can't see he doesn't have the tools to play for us then you really don't understand football . Its like Morgan and Huth last year the team sat deep to counter and full back where thight , so makes life much easier for the bull dozening type center back,
    We need someone who is comfortable being left alone and also at times has to run the channels Rio's the best example or Koscielny, VD is perfect for this , I don't think Keane would suit our play either,
    Also Matip has better pass accuracy 87% to Shako's 84% and in more games of course ,take into account Matip targets are also further away due to our open style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It seems Big Sam has left Palace I don't see Sakho staying there now.

I think he did enough there thought for us to get the money the club wants for him form a number of club in the PL or around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

l, our best monster is at palace.

Monsters are for mediocre teams, give me a boring composed brain, who doesn't have me in palpations every other minute thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

1pkpwc.jpg
    :D

Defoe apparently getting 130k a week, 3 year deal, with Bournemouth. That's mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Getting pipped to targets by the likes of Bournemouth is embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr.H wrote: »
    Remember when sami was captain. Towards the end he started playing poorly. Everyone assumed it was because his legs where gone. Gerrard was given the captaincy and it was like both players were given a new lease of life. Sami just concentrated on defending and didn't have to ensure players on the field were doing their jobs. He did his and he did it better than ever. Gerrard however went on the embrace the role and become the beat player to ever play for the club.

I agree that for the most part being captain means nothing. But for some players it can have a mentality change.

I would like to bring in a top class defender or defensive mid and give them the arm band. Someone aggressive who can get the rest of the team rilled up if they are not performing

On the contrary I think is actually quite important - but much moreso Off the field than On. The example of Sami is exactly why I wouldn't like it give it to someone like Coutinho. i don't want him worrying about having to make sure of youth team members well being, talking to the owners, being a team liaison etc - I want him to just play. Sami was much better when those responsibilities were taken off him and he could just play football. I don't agree that the captaincy implies a responsibility to make sure everyone else on the field is doing their jobs though. Thats' the managers job. No player should be worried about anything other than doing their own job to the best of their abilities. Leaders on the field will naturally raise the game of others through their own actions, and their talking on the pitch, whether they're captains or not. Every team at every level has a few talkers that keep the energy up and everyone focused I think.

I'm not sure about giving it to someone we bring in this summer... obviously it depends on their mentality, but it would be a lot for someone to take on who didn't know the club infrastructure, players at different levels, club staff etc. We'll see who we bring in I guess. But I see little point in removing it from Henderson at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Getting pipped to targets by the likes of Bournemouth is embarrassing.

What's annoying is that there'll be some who will take this seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think Matip is better than Sakho, tbh. Sakho is more a highlight reel, but Matip is more consistent. And I was always a big fan of Sakho.

He gets the edge in his passing, which is great at threading the lines and putting us on the front foot, and that we do miss.

Think they might complement each other quite well.

A lot of decisive passing with the more collected Matip balancing out the mentalness of Sakho.

Lovren would be a good match as well except he just seems to lose his **** when the pressure gets turned up.

We need some basic things from a CB in general like height, pace and a minimum level of quality on the ball, but aggression is what I think you could argue Matip is missing while he's uncommonly relaxed and safe on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Lovren and sakho are at a similar level neither of which is good enough to be first choice. I'd keep Lovren as back up though as he is less like to be injured, throw a hissy fit when not in the squad and leave the stadium or just be that much a a general dick around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Defoe apparently getting 130k a week, 3 year deal, with Bournemouth. That's mental.

Some wage for a guy who's 35 in October. If he scores enough goals to keep them up they might view it as a good investment though.

Some wage for a guy who's 35 in October. If he scores enough goals to keep them up they might view it as a good investment though.

serious gamble alright though. And he's likely to have a sharp decline sooner rather than later. Would say he's as likely to score 5 next year as 15, and the following 2 years... it's a lot of money to be paying a 36/37 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The real annoying thing is it's one less possible destination to offload Sturridge. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Still not convinced by Matip - as a pairing him and Lovren just don't seem "right". Matip looks like a rolls royce on the ball in possession going forward but i've yet to see him consistently crunch a guy, snuff out danger and be the aggressor. I think he needs a more combative player beside him - a proper dominator. It's extremely difficult to get a world class centre half these days. Arsenal haven't had one in a decade. United had one of the best ever with Rio/Vidic but you take Bailly out of that team and they are possibly the worst set of centre defenders ever to grace that pitch.

There's a huge difference in playing for a Top4 team than all others. The expectation is heavy - for Liverpool you have not the best holding philosophy in front of you. Look at Chelsea this season, sideshow bob and Cahill look like world beaters when you have Kante and Matic in front of them.

It really is time to fill that gap for Liverpool. Klopp has to get it right.

Well he ****ed the solution out on his ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The real annoying thing is it's one less possible destination to offload Sturridge. :pac:

The way I look at that is if Bournemouth are willing to pay a 34 year old that kind of money we now know teams won't be scared off by Mr Sturridge's wages.

So we might still yet get a decent transfer fee for him

Edit...We also sold them Ibe last summer so they learned their lesson buying off us:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd is synonymous with being facetious/flippant and even sarcastic don't know how anyone can take him seriously.

Here he is at a recent cranberries gig
    63bda13db350d2ebcb7008fdeba398af0dfaa75780e176b1f8319ed9240dca07.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The way I look at that is if Bournemouth are willing to pay a 34 year old that kind of money we now know teams won't be scared off by Mr Sturridge's wages.

So we might still yet get a decent transfer fee for him

I want us to keep him and pay the money necessary for a forward who will lead the line and score goals. If he stays fit then we should have enough ammunition to change this seasons draws to wins. If that happens, we won't be too far away next year.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Grayditch wrote: »
    I might have missed it if it's been talked about, but how's Mane doing in regards to the CL qualifiers in August?

Should be fine for the start of pre-season by all accounts.

Glorious *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

What a wkend,what a result,friends made,songs sung and voices lost,couldnt ask for much more,lets bring in some serious signings over the summer and have a big go nxt year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

shamrock55 wrote: »
    What a wkend,what a result,friends made,songs sung and voices lost,couldnt ask for much more,lets bring in some serious signings over the summer and have a big go nxt year

Glad to hear shamrock but i would not of liked to of seen ya before gini's goal ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Shame, doubt it would have taken 130k,(if that's even true) to get him to Liverpool.

Whilst you can never say any signing is risk free, Defoe must be damn close to a sure thing.

Backed up by the stats and was forced to create alot of his own chances at Sunderland.

Seems to stay fit for whole seasons as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

34 year old jermain defoe was certainly not the answer, if he was then we are asking the wrong question!

noodler wrote: »
    Shame, doubt it would have taken 130k,(if that's even true) to get him to Liverpool.

Whilst you can never say any signing is risk free, Defoe must be damn close to a sure thing.

Backed up by the stats and was forced to create alot of his own chances at Sunderland.

Seems to stay fit for whole seasons as well.

To be honest if we signed him on anything like that deal, it would feel very like the Joe Cole deal to me.

There's no riskier deal imo than an aging striker on big money, especially one who only offers goals. One day (probably not too far from now, and almost certainly within his 3 year contract) like a lightswitch, the goals will simply stop.

As an example, Ricky Lambert got 15, and 13 premier league goals in the 2 seasons before joining us. He's scored 7 goals in total in the 3 years since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I feel like signing someone like Defoe would do nothing but stunt Origi's development, he should be the one playing for us in the cups, not some lad who'll be gone in a year anyway.

ricero wrote: »
    Glad to hear shamrock but i would not of liked to of seen ya before gini's goal ha

Things werent looking too great though were they,tbh i missed the first goal cos i had just gone for a drink and a pee😊 the concourse went nuts though and de de de de dede gini wijnaldum started up so all was good😉

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    To be honest if we signed him on anything like that deal, it would feel very like the Joe Cole deal to me.

There's no riskier deal imo than an aging striker on big money, especially one who only offers goals. One day (probably not too far from now, and almost certainly within his 3 year contract) like a lightswitch, the goals will simply stop.

As an example, Ricky Lambert got 15, and 13 premier league goals in the 2 seasons before joining us. He's scored 7 goals in total in the 3 years since.

Bonkers comparison tbh.

Defoe has been getting double figures in the Premier league for well over a decade.

There is actual pedigree there.

Look, it was an option of the bench for no transfer fee and at a time when we are paying Lovren 100k so I must admit to being amazed at some of the reluctance.

I wouldn't be happy with another season of the performances Origi provided this season even if the goals per minutes status is decent, I do OT feel he offer anything like what a player his size should in terms of link up or ball retention.

EDIT: I suppose some will continue with faux "omg you wanted an old Defoe for the Champions League and premier league challenge??!!" or the hopeful "he'll stunt Origi's growth".

redzerdrog wrote: »
    34 year old jermain defoe was certainly not the answer, if he was then we are asking the wrong question!

The question was a back up goalscorer without spending 50m.

I'm not sure what question you had in mind.

Lets leave Origi out of it for a sec. Surely Dofoe would be a better option than say Woodburn on the bench?

Anyway, it's a moot point as he's gone to Bournmouth for 130k(:eek:) a week

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Harry Kewell has been named Crawley Town manager.

Great few days, fat sam has retired or so it seems

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement