Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

They're surprisingly sharp for a team that only got off the plane a while ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yea, it's what I mean. Lots of teams play a system that would suit him.

Well I mean, left, as in the left of the whole ground, outside like.

He's useless, don't mind these mickey mouse friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Studge has been superb so far, I'm sure the last 2 league games performances will have given Klopp food for thought whether he stays or goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Carra sweating a feed of pints out of himself and he's still Carra... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Studge has been superb so far, I'm sure the last 2 league games performances will have given Klopp food for thought whether he stays or goes.

Timing is everything. He looks sharp, unselfish, and unlike any of our other attacking options. I fully expect him to stay, he's worth it even if only fit half the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Dickerty wrote: »
    Timing is everything. He looks sharp, unselfish, and unlike any of our other attacking options. I fully expect him to stay, he's worth it even if only fit half the time...

Do we not need the cash? If the previous post that mentioned a war chest of £100m plus sales is true, do we not try to off-load him and spend the cash on someone less injury prone and a more consistent starter?

3 goals from 19 appearances this season and 8 goals from 14 appearances last season - if we could get maybe £25-£35m for him, would it not make sense to take the money and run, or do we take the risk of his fitness improving.....

Lallana getting the armband, interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Fieldog wrote: »
    Lallana getting the armband, interesting....

Future Captain :)

Future Captain :)

I wouldn't have an issue with that personally...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Did Kuyt come on yet .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

100m isn't much of a "war chest" in today's market. Was hoping for double that.

I don't think we'll bring in much in sales. Our squad is thin so there's not many we can afford to sell that we'll get decent money for.

If it is 100m then i think we'll need to target players around the 20m range as i think we need about 5 more bodies. Will need to be smart in the market and get players not on the top teams radars. Or maybe spend 70m on 2 players to improve the starting team leaving 30m on 3 squad players

I suppose this is to be expected. Klopp's record in the market has been good so far anyway. I'm trying to think if he's made any signings that could be considered bad? Karius maybe, although the fee wasn't huge and he's still young

Morzadec wrote: »

I don't think we'll bring in much in sales. Our squad is thin so there's not many we can afford to sell that we'll get decent money for.

If it is 100m then i think we'll need to target players around the 20m range as i think we need about 5 more bodies. Will need to be smart in the market and get players not on the top teams radars. Or maybe spend 70m on 2 players to improve the starting team leaving 30m on 3 squad players

I suppose this is to be expected. Klopp's record in the market has been good so far anyway. I'm trying to think if he's made any signings that could be considered bad? Karius maybe, although the fee wasn't huge and he's still young

My understanding it's £100m plus sales which could be considerable as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

murpho999 wrote: »
    My understanding it's £100m plus sales which could be considerable as well.

But squad depth needs to be addressed so if selling we need to buy extra players also. I think the point is that it looks unlikely we will see a 'marquee' signing or beat the fee paid for mane in this transfer window with 100million

sword1 wrote: »
    But squad depth needs to be addressed so if selling we need to buy extra players also. I think the point is that it looks unlikely we will see a 'marquee' signing or beat the fee paid for mane in this transfer window with 100million

Well we could have sales like below:

Sakho £30m
    Sturridge £25-30 (I think he should stay).
    Moreno £10m
    Lucas £10m
    Markovic £10m
    Stewart £5m
    Bogdan £5m
    Flanagan £5m
    Randall £5

There's a £100m there with little impact on the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£30m for Sakho, £30m maybe a bit more for Sturridge I'd say we could make £40m+ from the sales of Markovic, Moreno, Stewart,Wisdom, Flanagan, Bogdan and maybe Ings.

Although I would keep Moreno myself.

That's a least half a dozen players out with only one of them really being a squad player bringing the transfer budget to about £200m.

£50m on a CB.
    £30m on a LB.
    £50m on a CM.
    Then anywhere £30m to £70m for a striker.

I can see a couple of young player been brought in as well.

Lucas if he does leave will be let go on a free I would imagine but I'd keep him as well and give him plenty of games in the cups and cover for the league games.

Sakho £30m
    Moreno £10m
    Lucas £10m
    Markovic £10m
    Stewart £5m
    Bogdan £5m
    Flanagan £5m
    Randall £5

As seen lately the selling price and the price the club gets are very different. How can you say sturridge, Moreno and lucas sales would have no impact on the the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Sakho £30m
    Moreno £10m
    Lucas £10m
    Markovic £10m
    Stewart £5m
    Bogdan £5m
    Flanagan £5m
    Randall £5

Shift all of these except Sturridge IMO. I'd loan out Gomez too if we're bringing in VVD. I'd expect something like this:

_____Mignolet
    Clyne Matip VVD New LB
    ______Keita
    New AM Coutinho Mane
    _____Firmino
    _____New CF

Squad:

Karius
    Lovren
    Klavan
    Milner
    Alexander-Arnold
    Emre
    Wijnaldum
    Hendo
    Lallana
    Sturridge
    Woodburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

hes good but not quality imo,not strong enough,his passing is awful sometimes.we need a monster at cb,a leader,neither of our current top 2 fit the bill, our best monster is at palace.

I'm with you... need bigger more agressive CB's who can chip in with the odd 3 goals when we have corners....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

As seen lately the selling price and the price the club gets are very different. How can you say sturridge, Moreno and lucas sales would have no impact on the the squad?

Can easily say it in Moreno's case.

• Advertisement

x43r0 wrote: »
    What's annoying is that there'll be some who will take this seriously

only the real fans :pac:

noodler wrote: »
    Can easily say it in Moreno's case.

He was on the bench most games, a very important part of the squad

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I want us to keep him and pay the money necessary for a forward who will lead the line and score goals. If he stays fit then we should have enough ammunition to change this seasons draws to wins. If that happens, we won't be too far away next year.

agreed +1

Haivn the firepower to throw all caution to the wind and take him on if we are drawing with some dross... basically what Fergie did... take defenders off sub them with attackers and just pound the opposition in the last 15 mins of a game... usually worked in his favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep, he must be confused alright. would say he was all for keeping him after West Ham and couldn't get him out the door quick enough after Boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Did anyone else hear Souness tear Studge a new one over his pre-match warmup, how everyone else seems to go balls out and he does the bear minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Morzadec wrote: »

Considering we had a positive net spend last summer, we should be able to spend 150m easy, without including sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Vicxas wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear Souness tear Studge a new one over his pre-match warmup, how everyone else seems to go balls out and he does the bear minimum.

Saw that was absolute rubbish imo, Going balls out in the warm up may have suited Souness but it doesn't suit every player, It up to the player what he feel works best for him during the warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Vicxas wrote: »

Yes, it was absolute horsesh1t from Souness.

Loving the fact that Sturridge has showed up the last few weeks and reminded most people of his abundant quality even if he's lost a yard of pace, would really love to keep him around, but could understand he may also actually want to leave, he has never fully been trusted by Klopp even when he was fit, so he may want to head off elsewhere as he's far too good to be bench fodder for us.

Shame he's just unlucky with injuries. I don't buy into the amateur psychiatrists diagnosis about him being weak mentally, it's just pure bad luck for him and us as supporters because if we got more games we get more goals,simple as that, his strike rate is phenomenal, everyone would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Saw that was absolute rubbish imo, Going balls out in the warm up may have suited Souness but it doesn't suit every player, It up to the player what he feel works best for him during the warm up.

I actually agree with Souness on this one. Was watching it live and thought the exact same thing. The camera was panning around and he was barely lifting a leg while the others were actually stretching! Maybe sturridge needs to up his game. Pre match warm up is there for a reason and not to just gaze around the stadium lost in thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

murpho999 wrote:
    Sakho £30m
    Moreno £10m
    Lucas £10m
    Markovic £10m
    Stewart £5m
    Bogdan £5m
    Flanagan £5m
    Randall £5

Some very ambitious prices there. Hope your right though.
    If it is 100m I'm underwhelmed tbh.
    In hindsight spending damn all last summer (when you take sales into account) was a bad thing after achieving an improvement in the league. If we got Van Dijk & Keita (big if) we'd have very little left imo.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I actually agree with Souness on this one. Was watching it live and thought the exact same thing. The camera was panning around and he was barely lifting a leg while the others were actually stretching! Maybe sturridge needs to up his game. Pre match warm up is there for a reason and not to just gaze around the stadium lost in thought.

We just don't know what warm up Danny needs with his constant injuries compared to other players, I'm sure if he was doing as you described then the coaches or Klopp would horse whip him into action, maybe he does a more laid back routine, who knows? But seeing a minute of him doing a light warm up and then Souey going off on a rant seemed like a hell of a leap.

• Advertisement

I said little impact not none.

Moreno is a non starter and is clearly going to be replaced.

Sturridge would be a big loss in my opinion as he is top class when fit.

Many here want him gone.

Lucas is solid but can be upgraded.

I don't get why people are afraid to upgrade some players.

The likes of Lucas and Lovren can be upgraded.

We have won one trophy in 10 years, don't you think that's anything to do with the players?

We just don't know what warm up Danny needs with his constant injuries compared to other players, I'm sure if he was doing as you described then the coaches or Klopp would horse whip him into action, maybe he does a more laid back routine, who knows? But seeing a minute of him doing a light warm up and then Souey going off on a rant seemed like a hell of a leap.

But I can understand where Souness is coming from. Sturridge has been injured for most of his Liverpool career so its frustrating to see him halfheartedly warm up. He was barely stretching a muscle in the 30 seconds the camera was on him.
    You put together not warming up properly and the muscle injures he's had and the "leap" isnt that great to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Whatever it is Sturridge feels works best for him seems to have been working a treat, alright.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    But I can understand where Souness is coming from. Sturridge has been injured for most of his Liverpool career so its frustrating to see him halfheartedly warm up. He was barley stretching a muscle in the 30 seconds the camera was on him.
    You put together not warming up properly and the muscle injures he's had and the "leap" isnt that great to be honest.

Agree to disagree, I just feel that Klopp would not allow anyone to be doing things that half heartedly and still be anywhere near the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Sakho £30m (£20m)
    Sturridge £25-30 (I think he should stay). (£20m but think he should stay also)
    Moreno £10m (£12m, still young enough to turn things around)
    Lucas £10m (£5m, 1 year left)
    Markovic £10m (£12m, same reasons as Moreno)
    Stewart £5m (English premium so about right)
    Bogdan £5m (£2m, if we're lucky)
    Flanagan £5m (Same as Stewart but wouldn't be surprised to get less)
    Randall £5 (£5 is about right :D )

There's a £100m (£81m) there with little impact on the squad.

I've put in bold my own valuations. Only ones above I wouldn't mind keeping and may also be kept on are Sturridge and Lucas.

Could also generate another £5-6m from the sale of the likes of Kent, Wisdom and Brannagan

Moreno is a non starter and is clearly going to be replaced.

Sturridge would be a big loss in my opinion as he is top class when fit.

Many here want him gone.

We have won one trophy in 10 years, don't you think that's anything to do with the players?

But you were making out that selling them increases our budget to spend on extra players, it doesn't as we will have to spend at least what we get for them to replace them as we need a bigger squad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I saw an article on reddit saying hes a doubt for England's next match because of a hip ailment he's played through in last two games. Could be he was told by the physios to save it for the match. Did they not tailor a separate training regime for Studge because of his injury problems(not that it's helped much ), or was that under Rodgers and it's one size fits all now ?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He was nearly anonymous most of the Middlesboro game. He got no real service, but I doubt much he did that game will be in highlight reels of him.

Alert : The following post will not be popular

One trophy in 10 years you say, Lucas has been at the club 10 years, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing to move him on, yes, he's a solid player, yes, he's a nice guy, yes, he plays and wears the jersey with pride but maybe just maybe he's symptomatic of why we have been average for years.

Talk on here lately about him being a club legend and get him coaching the kids and how they would look up to him as a role model, but if you really think about it, what exactly has he done or achieved in his time at Liverpool apart from cult status? The 80's is before my time but plenty of legends from that Era and then you have the likes of Gerrard, Carra and Hyypia more recently.

Lucas had 1 or 2 good seasons about 5 years ago, good not mind blowing just good, so I think it is time for him to go, it's a new era under Klopp, hopefully a successful one. It sort of reeks of averageness with all the platitudes being spoke about Lucas, I like him, don't get me wrong but I think it's best if he headed for pastures new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Colemania wrote: »
    Could also generate another £5-6m from the sale of the likes of Kent, Wisdom and Brannagan

I'd keep Kent, but Wisdom! Forgot he was still ours!
    Along with Bogdan, Flanagan and Ward...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Given the massive amount of injuries we had under Souness compared to before then, he isn't one to cast the first stone there you'd think.

But you were making out that selling them increases our budget to spend on extra players, it doesn't as we will have to spend at least what we get for them to replace them as we need a bigger squad

We also need quality so no point having a large squad of dross.

We also need quality so no point having a large squad of dross.

I agree but your point was that selling them would increase our budget for our main signings and mine is that it might decrease it as they will have to be replaced as we need a bigger squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not sure on Sturridge......I cant be the only one that thought he had a poor game versus Middlesboro? Yea the game was tight and service to him wasn't exactly quality but when the game opened up I was expecting him to do a lot more but he faded completely. Obviously he got tired and I can accept that but I have no confidence with him long term.

I'd sell for a good offer, I'd keep otherwise, I like Danny but he cant be relied on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Alert : The following post will not be popular

One trophy in 10 years you say, Lucas has been at the club 10 years, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing to move him on, yes, he's a solid player, yes, he's a nice guy, yes, he plays and wears the jersey with pride but maybe just maybe he's symptomatic of why we have been average for years.

Talk on here lately about him being a club legend and get him coaching the kids and how they would look up to him as a role model, but if you really think about it, what exactly has he done or achieved in his time at Liverpool apart from cult status? The 80's is before my time but plenty of legends from that Era and then you have the likes of Gerrard, Carra and Hyypia more recently.

Lucas had 1 or 2 good seasons about 5 years ago, good not mind blowing just good, so I think it is time for him to go, it's a new era under Klopp, hopefully a successful one. It sort of reeks of averageness with all the platitudes being spoke about Lucas, I like him, don't get me wrong but I think it's best if he headed for pastures new.

Well popular or not, it doesn't make logical sense.

He gives us options and solid minutes. He won't command much of a fee. He isn't on big wages. He seems content to be part of the squad. He seems to be an integral part of team morale and good relationships in the squad.

Upgrading players like him sounds sensible, but isn't. Buy starters. ****ing around with squad depth players is a sure fire way to spend lots of money standing still - particularly in today's market where you could spend ?15m getting someone as impactful with the risk of them being a bust.

As to the the general theme of your point, Lucas has played in teams that have garnered 86 and 84 points in the league; gone to extra time in two European Semi Finals; lost another European Final. He's a link to the last period where we had high expectations regularly every year.

Keep him, keep Sturridge, keep Lovren, etc. Buy in players who you nominally expect will start ahead of them and see how the competition for places shakes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well popular or not, it doesn't make logical sense.

He gives us options and solid minutes. He won't command much of a fee. He isn't on big wages. He seems content to be part of the squad. He seems to be an integral part of team morale and good relationships in the squad.

Upgrading players like him sounds sensible, but isn't. Buy starters. ****ing around with squad depth players is a sure fire way to spend lots of money standing still - particularly in today's market where you could spend ?15m getting someone as impactful with the risk of them being a bust.

As to the the general theme of your point, Lucas has played in teams that have garnered 86 and 84 points in the league; gone to extra time in two European Semi Finals; lost another European Final. He's a link to the last period where we had high expectations regularly every year.

Keep him, keep Sturridge, keep Lovren, etc. Buy in players who you nominally expect will start ahead of them and see how the competition for places shakes out.

Still as sensible as ever Lloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I guarantee if Sturridge stays there'll be a moment next year when players are injured and we need him to step up and he ends up being injured during the same time. It's no different to all the talk around Balotelli of "he's a great player when he wants to be," yeah Sturridge is often a great player when he's fit but those times are few and far between. A good game against West Ham and a quiet game against Boro aren't doing anything to change my opinion.

5starpool wrote: »
    Given the massive amount of injuries we had under Souness compared to before then, he isn't one to cast the first stone there you'd think.

The game has changed a LOT in the last 25 years since Souness was liverpool manger. Cant really compare the fitness levels, equipment, pitches, tackles, professionalism, diet, alcohol intake, technology etc etc between then and now.
    He gave his opinion as he saw it last Sunday, don't think he was casting stones tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'd say Lucas' future mainly depends on his lab numbers and if he's able to maintain an elite standard of fitness/conditioning/recovery, particularly important in the position he plays. Can't see a reason to let him go if he's still excelling in that regard. If he starts to fall short he'll be shipped out fast imo. Can speculate all day about if you think he's good enough but it's mainly science that dictates these things these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'd be of the view as well that we really shouldn't be selling anyone unless we absolutely have to.

Keep Moreno as backup LB (we always have Milner if there is a long-term injury). Keep Lucas as cover and captain for domestic cup games. Keep Sturridge if he is happy to stay and fight for his place.

The important thing is that we make the signings we need. We probably need 5 - 2 full backs, a centre-back, a central midfielder and a striker.

If we sign 5 players and they simply replace Moreno, Lucas, Sturridge etc, then we are a couple of injuries away from the kind of benches we saw this season - Woodburn, Alexander-Arnold, Ejaria, Stewart etc. No offense to those young players, but they are not good enough at this time.

GK (1) - Mignolet, Karius

RB (1) - New Signing (20m), Clyne, Alexander-Arnold

LB (1) - New Signing (20m), Moreno

CB (2) - Matip, New Signing (30m), Lovren, Klavan, Gomez

CM (2-3) - New Signing (30m), Can, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lucas, Grujic, Stewart

ATT (3-4) - New Signing (30m), Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Lallana, Milner, Sturridge, Origi, Ings,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement