Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr.H wrote: »
    My biggest fear is that the last time we got CL football we didnt push on and make those killer signings. Lallana Lovern and Can were perhaps the best of them. My worry is that if we sign that type of quality it may not be good enough. Especially with how long it took them all to adapt

Also lost our two main goalscorers which was just a killer - Suarez to Barca, and Sturridge to injury for the season.

I'm pretty confident next year be a different story though... can't see any of our stars leaving this summer, and it seems like we'll be adding to cope with injuries etc.

Wouldn't look at that summer's signings as any indication either. Makes more sense to look at last summer's, which for the most part added a lot of quality. Would expect this summer's to be a level above too, from what Klopp has been saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If we have a similar success rate to last seasons transfer window we'll be more than fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Exactly! They did what we couldn't do last year. We seriously need to navigate the CL qualifiers and do alright in the group. Sick of not having proper European football!

Aye, difference between us and them is that last night, you knew Jose was never giving up that lead when they went into HT. It's that type of hardness that I've been envious of for a long time. We're still mentally soft but the fact that we held on for 4th shows that we're at least steadily improving in that department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    If we have a similar success rate to last seasons transfer window we'll be more than fine.

Have a feeling that if we're shrewd and not sign a "Marquee" player, then we'll have a few ruffled feathers in here for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Be great if we could get all our buisness done nice and early like last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

monkey9 wrote: »
    Jaysis lads, they won a European trophy. Leave them to their glory or discuss it in the relevant thread. I'd have loved to have won that final last year.
    It's like willy waving.

Only smaller...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not sure if it was mentioned here but some people are going a bit mad after Michael Owen saying "We" when talking about United last night. Is he still LFC ambassador? I'm not sure what he's supposed to be doing but pretty sure saying we in reference to United will put him in a spot of bother with the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

NukaCola wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned here but some people are going a bit mad after Michael Owen saying "We" when talking about United last night. Is he still LFC ambassador? I'm not sure what he's supposed to be doing but pretty sure saying we in reference to United will put him in a spot of bother with the fans.

I actually noticed that with match on in background and muttered Judas at the telly...

I completely forgot Judas is an LFC ambassador, an odious cretin of the highest order...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think theres still a pretence amongst the English media that fans of all other clubs are automatically behind any English team in Europe. That's the way the programs are always editorialised, so in that context 'we' makes sense.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Have a feeling that if we're shrewd and not sign a "Marquee" player, then we'll have a few ruffled feathers in here for sure.

Wouldn't think so.
    Keep who needs to be kept, upgrade on whoever leaves and once the new comers add depth and contribute to & improve the first team I don't think anyone will mind if there's no marquee signing.

Considering what money PL clubs are splashing I have no doubt we won't be buying a marquee type player, unless he's on a free and big wages.

Now, if we line up in CL games with Milner at LB, the same or worse attacking options than last year and Lucas on the bench as CM/CB cover I'm sure they'll be ruffled feather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I think theres still a pretence amongst the English media that fans of all other clubs are automatically behind any English team in Europe. That's the way the programs are always editorialised, so in that context 'we' makes sense.

Really? I cant think of another example of that off the top of my head but perhaps you're right. I dont particularly care tbh but I can understand how people would be annoyed about it at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Marquee players should only be signed for the defence or a goalkeeper

Doesn't always work though - here's the Skrtel/Lovren model

marquee-hire-dublin-4-L.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Really? I cant think of another example of that off the top of my head but perhaps you're right. I dont particularly care tbh but I can understand how people would be annoyed about it at the same time.

If Leicester were playing in the ECL final then you wouldn't bat an eyelid at everyone on the panel referring to 'we' and being supportive, but many Forest and Derby fans would be disgusted as they would be cheering on the opposition.
    Not defending Owen or anything, he remains a complete and total *redacted* of the highest order.

(Also I didn't watch it on BT so maybe I've got the context wrong).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

At least Owen doesn't commentate any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

To be fair his dream of winning a premier league title was only made a reality at United, he was a fine goal scorer for Liverpool but it must have been a thrill for him to get his hands on a premier league winners medal at the point in his career that he won it, you shouldn't be too hard on him. He did win a lot with Liverpool, just not a premier league title.

Glazers Out!

Dunno about this but here it is anyway
    Zeke Tell @ZekeTell
    #Monchi meets with #Schick's agents as #Roma joins in race with #Liverpool, #Juventus, #Dortmund and #AtleticoMadrid http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/roma-joins-liverpool-juventus-and-atletico-madrid-in-race-for-schick
    7:19 PM - 24 May 2017
    Photo published for Roma joins Liverpool, Juventus, and Atletico Madrid in race for Schick
    Roma joins Liverpool, Juventus, and Atletico Madrid in race for Schick
    Roma's sporting director Monchi is looking to insert the giallorossi as a late entrant in the race for Patrik Schick. The striker's agents Pavel Paska and Bruno Satin confirmed in ...

gianlucadimarzio.com

Looks like he's heading for Juventus
    http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/roma-joins-liverpool-juventus-and-atletico-madrid-in-race-for-schick

http://www.espnfc.com/story/3133559/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-holding-talks-with-daniel-sturridge-about-future

Jurgen Klopp said he had held talks with Daniel Sturridge about his Liverpool future but did not say whether he wanted the striker to stay.

Sturridge, linked with a move in the summer window, recently said he was happy at Liverpool but added that it was "for the club to decide" whether he remained at Anfield

Hopefully we are trying to get him to play per appearance or some nonsense...

Dunno about this but here it is anyway

Looks like he's heading for Juventus
    http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/roma-joins-liverpool-juventus-and-atletico-madrid-in-race-for-schick

Never heard of him, he any use?

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »

Hopefully we are trying to get him to play per appearance or some nonsense...

He has two years left on his deal? Not sure what you mean by the above.

Augeo wrote: »
    He has two years left on his deal? Not sure what you mean by the above.

I'm wondering are they trying to rejiggle his contract and possibly get him on a pay to play basis or something, since he hasn't been able to stay fit...

I'm sure they will have no problem shifting him but if we got the Sturridge from the last 3 games at least every second week I would be happy to keep him, but I don't pay the wages unfortunately... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Monaco are reported to be signing Youri Tielemans from Anderlecht for €25M, he's a player that I would have loved to see at Liverpool. He has the quality and the ability to improve any of our midfield positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Talisman wrote: »
    Monaco are reported to be signing Youri Tielemans from Anderlecht for €25M, he's a player that I would have loved to see at Liverpool. He has the quality and the ability to improve any of our midfield positions.

Already signed this morning, so definitely off the market!

I'm wondering are they trying to rejiggle his contract and possibly get him on a pay to play basis or something, since he hasn't been able to stay fit..............

He's just seen the club give Lovren a £100k/week deal, Lovren next season should be our CB on the bench if we are aiming to improve. Lovren has played 26,24 and 25 PL games for us in his 3 PL seasons with us. So a 66% of the PL season CB is "worth" £100k/week to LFC, that's the wages market now.

Defoe at 34 is allegedly signing for £130k/week.... 3 year deal

Sturridge is on £150k/week after being bought for £12m ....... 4 years ago.

If the club want to sell Sturridge they should, he's scored 60 goals in 118 games in his 4.5 seasons at the club.

I couldn't imagine him being interested in a rejiggling of his contract, he can leave in 2 years on a free at the age of 29. He was also available for lots of games this season but Klopp didn't play him......... I'm sure him and his agents can point that out if Klopp/LFC have forgotten it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Already done

https://twitter.com/as_monaco_en/status/867637567356850176

• Advertisement

If Monaco dont get harvested they could be a real force in the CL next year.

Augeo wrote: »
    He's just seen the club give Lovren a £100k/week deal, Lovren next season should be our CB on the bench if we are aiming to improve. Lovren has played 26,24 and 25 PL games for us in his 3 PL seasons with us. So a 66% of the PL season CB is "worth" £100k/week to LFC, that's the wages market now.

Defoe at 34 is allegedly signing for £130k/week.... 3 year deal

Sturridge is on £150k/week after being bought for £12m ....... 4 years ago.

If the club want to sell Sturridge they should, he's scored 60 goals in 118 games in his 4.5 seasons at the club.

I couldn't imagine him being interested in a rejiggling of his contract, he can leave in 2 years on a free at the age of 29. He was also available for lots of games this season but Klopp didn't play him......... I'm sure him and his agents can point that out if Klopp/LFC have forgotten it.

Fair points, it's crazy crazy money when you put it from the Lovren perspective, and I saw Defoe got that in his new deal, mental

I think maybe when I see Sturridge huff and puff up and down the pitch and not throw his body into tackle's anymore I'm just use to thinking he is lazy, he's not, it's just the way he has to play nowadays...

On one hand I want him to stay, on the other if he is halting us getting a better replacement​ then it's time to move him on...

klose wrote: »
    Already done
    It goes to show that it's not necessary to spend stupid money to sign quality players.

On one hand I want him to stay, on the other if he is halting us getting a better replacement​ then it's time to move him on...
    There's no harm in signing his replacement this summer and keeping Sturridge for next season. He'll still be a saleable asset in January or at the end of the 2017/18 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

There's no harm in signing his replacement this summer and keeping Sturridge for next season. He'll still be a saleable asset in January or at the end of the 2017/18 season.

That would be the natural thing to do, remains to be seen whether we actually do it though. I have my doubts.

• Advertisement

............ on the other if he is halting us getting a better replacement​ then it's time to move him on...

He shouldn't be though :)

Now if it turns out Lovren's deal prevents us getting a better CB in and Sturridge not being sold prevents us getting another striker in than there's an issue. But it's not Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I guarantee if Sturridge stays there'll be a moment next year when players are injured and we need him to step up and he ends up being injured during the same time. It's no different to all the talk around Balotelli of "he's a great player when he wants to be," yeah Sturridge is often a great player when he's fit but those times are few and far between. A good game against West Ham and a quiet game against Boro aren't doing anything to change my opinion.

So long as there's a first-team striker signing, I don't see how having Sturridge in the squad could be a bad thing. Having the squad littered with world-class players in a season with European football? Yes please.

Besides, we certainly wouldn't be signing a like-for-like replacement if we shifted him out. We don't really have a good record of replacing world-class strikers recently, and I get the feeling the club would be more inclined to permanently promote Woodburn or even Harry Wilson rather than try and sign another squad striker, and for the 10-15 games a year when they'd play I would much rather Daniel Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sappy404 wrote: »
    So long as there's a first-team striker signing, I don't see how having Sturridge in the squad could be a bad thing. Having the squad littered with world-class players in a season with European football? Yes please.

Besides, we certainly wouldn't be signing a like-for-like replacement if we shifted him out. We don't really have a good record of replacing world-class strikers recently, and I get the feeling the club would be more inclined to permanently promote Woodburn or even Harry Wilson rather than try and sign another squad striker, and for the 10-15 games a year when they'd play I would much rather Daniel Sturridge.

There hasn't been a world class player near our team since Luis left and it will be a long yet before there is another one.

There hasn't been a world class player near our team since Luis left and it will be a long yet before there is another one.

True. It'll be July 1st at least... :pac:

Speaking of Harry Wilson, Celtic were interested in taking him for a season but that's been rebuffed. Dunno why, you'd imagine he'd get plenty of Premiership time esp during the CL group stage. Maybe Klopp wants to keep him in house for the same reason! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Sappy404 wrote: »
    ... and for the 10-15 games a year when they'd play I would much rather Daniel Sturridge.

You're confident he would be available for selection for those games?

Speaking of Harry Wilson, Celtic were interested in taking him for a season but that's been rebuffed. Dunno why, you'd imagine he'd get plenty of Premiership time esp during the CL group stage. Maybe Klopp wants to keep him in house for the same reason! :)
    Hopefully. He scored goals for fun at U-23 level this season and he's at a stage where he'll need first team experience to help him progress.

Liverpool baffled by Iker Casillas links (Liverpool Echo)

Mignolet, Karius and Ward it is then for next season.

I think we all were to some degree, some player links simply have no logic/fit.

That made as much sense Alex Manninger joining us.

Oh, wait.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

klose wrote: »

The theory going around is that he will be replacing Bakayoko

corwill wrote: »
    You're confident he would be available for selection for those games?

I'm confident that he will play 10-15 games, yes.

Obviously all of this is subjective. We don't know what the club will do if they sold him, or if they didn't. It's a fairly pathetic state of affairs if we're not looking at signing a striker/attacker for the first team this summer either way.

I get the argument for selling him. He's a risk - he can't be relied on. Right. But where you might say "Daniel Sturridge might play... 10 games a year?", my argument is "Daniel Sturridge might play 10 games a year!". He's good enough to keep and it is worth it for the club having the option of playing him when he's fit.

The question is, will the club mitigate the risk by signing a more reliable first teamer, or will they cash in on him and swell the coffers? Well, considering the small likelihood of them actually signing a comparable replacement, I say keep him and see how that replacement gets on rather than gambling on a new signing and another youth team promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see there is a petition online now directed to Tony Barrett who is now the new fan relation guy at the club to remove Owen as the club ambassador.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I see there is a petition online now directed to Tony Barrett who is now the new fan relation guy at the club to remove Owen as the club ambassador.

Barret's already tweeted that he's not starting his job til next month anyway.

Doesn't make sense for Owen to be an ambassador, he's a terrible representative for the club. I'd much rather see the likes of Agger or Alonso in the role.

Barret's already tweeted that he's not starting his job til next month anyway.

Doesn't make sense for Owen to be an ambassador, he's a terrible representative for the club. I'd much rather see the likes of Agger or Alonso in the role.

Seems most people didn't realise Owen was an ambassador for the club, which tells you everything you need to know about his effectiveness in the role.

Hmmmm

https://twitter.com/bulijournal/status/867394347595161600

Julian Brandt will leave Bayer Leverkusen and Germany this summer. England seems to be his most most likely destination. (@ManuelVeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So Michael Owen spent last night on BT referring to United as '' we''
    '' we played well''
    ''we deserved it''
    '' we we we we we we''
    He then go collects a cheque off of Liverpool for his role with club .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So Michael Owen spent last night on BT referring to United as '' we''
    '' we played well''
    ''we deserved it''
    '' we we we we we we''
    He then go collects a cheque off of Liverpool for his role with club .

Think this was the final straw with some fans.

Silly appointment in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Think this was the final straw with some fans.

Silly appointment in the first place.

Shows how out of touch fsg are with the fans imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

eyerer wrote: »
    At least Owen doesn't commentate any more

No. Now we've got Owen Hargreaves who is even worse. I wonder does he talk like that all the time?? There seems to be something wrong with him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement