Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I presume wherever he is going the wages etc are already agreed, sounds a bit like sterling 's transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mangala will be available. He's like Sakho but with a brain and professionalism.
    He's the most expensive defender in Premier League history

Rafa will snap him up if he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sappy404 wrote: »
    There is no advantage to doing business after everyone else. The only reason Mané cost £30m and not closer to £40m is because we got in early. In what way is letting the other teams overpay before we make our moves going to be of benefit?
    It depends on whom we are looking for. As Harry posted above, Roberts and Iheanacho may be available due to their playing time being cut or being not wanted by their clubs. So they will only be available after their places taken by 'better' players. Likewise, looking at Real Madrid and clubs like those, some excellent players will be available this summer due to them not being stellar enough for their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

There is no advantage to doing business after everyone else. The only reason Mané cost £30m and not closer to £40m is because we got in early. In what way is letting the other teams overpay before we make our moves going to be of benefit?

Because when the other top PL teams have completed their transfers and their (horrible American term coming up) "Rosters" are full it will reduce competition for players leaving us less likely to be bidding against another club for the player we want. That would be the theory at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With City going transfer crazy Patrick Roberts and Kelechi Iheanacho could be got I suspect, yes they are young and all potential but surely worth a punt?

City needs loads of home grown players for next season Clichy was considered one now with him being released and Hart more than likely not coming back they are even shorter on that so I can't see them letting those two go.

They will be kept in the squad for home grown rule alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Because when the other top PL teams have completed their transfers and their (horrible American term coming up) "Rosters" are full it will reduce competition for players leaving us less likely to be bidding against another club for the player we want. That would be the theory at least.

I'm sorry but I don't think we should be sitting around 'monitoring' while our competitors to do their business so we can scuttle out of the shadows for their cast-offs. Certainly not if we're after the likes of VVD, Sessegnon, Werner, Keita and other players that are likely to be the targets of these clubs.

Do you really think, despite Klopp saying the opposite, that we're holding fire on the likes of van Dijk or Salah so we can swoop in on the likes of Mangala and Patrick f**king Roberts when Man City sign them instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Mangala had far too many brain-farts when at City and didn't appear to be eradicating it from his game. Unless he's improved while on loan (he's 26 now so it's very possible he may have) I'd prefer to steer clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Talisman wrote: »
    Klopp wants to sign 5 players - he's not likely to spend £150-200M, it's not his way of doing things.

Where does the idea come from that Klopp doesn't like to spend other people's money?

We missed out on Mkhitaryan as a marquee signing at the time due to Klopp?

Many here thought that he spent too much on Mane and Wijnaldum last year.

If he wants a player and money is available, he will spend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I wouldn't be looking to sign Man City failures or squad players.

FSG should pay the money required for Klopp's top targets. As last summer under Klopp was an excellent window with little money spent including sales.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be looking to sign Man City failures or squad players.

FSG should pay the money required for Klopp's top targets.
    As last summer under Klopp was an excellent window with little money spent including sales.

The reality is they won't.
    At least yuz can be happy in the fact they locked down Coutihnio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm sorry but I don't think we should be sitting around 'monitoring' while our competitors to do their business so we can scuttle out of the shadows for their cast-offs. Certainly not if we're after the likes of VVD, Sessegnon, Werner, Keita and other players that are likely to be the targets of these clubs.

Do you really think, despite Klopp saying the opposite, that we're holding fire on the likes of van Dijk or Salah so we can swoop in on the likes of Mangala and Patrick f**king Roberts when Man City sign them instead?

I think you have this the wrong way round, it's pick up Roberts and Iheanacho for relative buttons and then spend the main money on Sessegnon, Keita, Van Dijk, Salah (though I take Agent Coulson point about the home grown rule)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

FSG almost have to spend big this Summer. There has been too much noise in the media over the past few weeks about what they are going to spend. Anything less now and there will be major disappointment and grumbles from the support. Not to mention the club have made a profit in the last 3 transfers windows. It's time to back the manager if they want to make CL football a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where does the idea come from that Klopp doesn't like to spend other people's money?
    Maybe one of the press conferences he gave last summer where he said it.
    If he wants a player and money is available, he will spend it.
    I don't see him signing 5 players in one transfer window that each cost £30M+. He refused to sign players for less money in the January transfer window because he felt there was better value to be had by waiting until the summer transfer window.

FSG almost have to spend big this Summer. There has been too much noise in the media over the past few weeks about what they are going to spend. Anything less now and there will be major disappointment and grumbles from the support. Not to mention the club have made a profit in the last 3 transfers windows. It's time to back the manager if they want to make CL football a regular occurrence.

But define big, if they put in 100million it is massive, but what will it get you. We need 4/5 extra players at least. If you buy a 50 million player it does not leave a big amount for the rest.

Maybe one of the press conferences he gave last summer where he said it.

I don't see him signing 5 players in one transfer window that each cost £30M+. He refused to sign players for less money in the January transfer window because he felt there was better value to be had by waiting until the summer transfer window.

He will only sign players if he feels they will fit his system and are worth the money.

Just because he refused to overpay in January does not mean he won't spend the money on the right player.

Looking for value does not mean you won't spend money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Completely confident in Klopp to get the right players. Dont care what we spend tbh. However, if we get to a situation like last season where we had literally no viable options from the bench, or unable to rest players then I'll be annoyed.

PST levels are getting out of hand already.

England U20s played hosts South Korea in the FIFA 20s World Cup - Ejaria started and had a good game bar one sloppy moment, Ojo came on for the last 10 minutes or so and created some good chances down the left flank. Final score 1-0 but could and really should have been more like 3-0. I suspect Ojo might start next game as he looked much more comfortable on the left than Calvin-Lewis (Germany beat Vanuatu but only just 3-2!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Melissa Reddy says Klopp sees Keita as an elite player and the 50m valuation doesn't scare him away.

Also, no thanks on Mangala.

• Advertisement

sword1 wrote: »
    But define big, if they put in 100million it is massive, but what will it get you. We need 4/5 extra players at least. If you buy a 50 million player it does not leave a big amount for the rest.

I have a feeling we will break our transfer record this Summer although that is only 35M. In these days of United and City spending 60, 70, 80M+ on players it almost seems quaint.

I have a feeling we will break our transfer record this Summer although that is only 35M. In these days of United and City spending 60, 70, 80M+ on players it almost seems quaint.

Exactly, we are nowhere near the manc clubs or Chelsea budgets. The gap is so big we could be in a different league. Either way we just have to hope the club uses its budget well and maybe next year the gap will be less

I think you have this the wrong way round, it's pick up Roberts and Iheanacho for relative buttons and then spend the main money on Sessegnon, Keita, Van Dijk, Salah (though I take Agent Coulson point about the home grown rule)

Taisman suggested waiting for the other big clubs to make their moves so we can get their cast-offs. My point is that if we wait we will lose out on our mooted targets because they're also those other clubs' targets.

I wouldn't mind Iheanacho or Turan or Oxelade Chamberlain, but if the main targets are Werner, Salah and Keita, there's no point in waiting around to see if they go elsewhere in the hope that we get the other lads on the cheap.

"Y'know who's good is that Morata. Let's wait for Chelsea to sign him so we can more easily convince Patrick Bamford he's not wanted at Stamford Bridge and get him for a million quid less".

How many here would have bought Mane and Wijnaldum this time last year for the money we spent on them only a handful I would imagine.

The money was there for him to get those players he wanted.

Klopp wanted them and those two were our players of the season for me.

It also seems we tried to get MMMBop last summer as well but were told to go jump.

That shows me at least the Klopp knows the type of player he needs and wants and the club will back him trying to get those players with the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

NukaCola wrote: »
    Completely confident in Klopp to get the right players. Dont care what we spend tbh. However, if we get to a situation like last season where we had literally no viable options from the bench, or unable to rest players then I'll be annoyed.

100% agree with this statement....I have no doubt we will add quality players. The days are hopefully gone that additions are there to make up the numbers....another 4-5 signings this year on top of what is a good base is coming....

After the last game of the season Klopp spoke about how he would have a meeting with Michael Edwards to finalise transfer targets and was also quoted as saying he wants to have his full squad for the start of pre-season. The day after the meeting, he said that he didn't expect to have the new players for the start of pre-season but it would be a nice to do so.

A subtle but significant change to his view, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the meeting has influenced him.

I'd say that's his non native English tbh, if he was on a different page to that extent before meeting Edwards I'd be amazed.

Indeed

........ time will tell.

didn't Stevie say similar about rodgers?
    https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/05/steven-gerrard-rues-not-working-alongside-jurgen-klopp-time-liverpool/?utm_source=webpush&utm_medium=Campaign&utm_campaign=webpush

• Advertisement

Melissa Reddy says Klopp sees Keita as an elite player and the 50m valuation doesn't scare him away.

Also, no thanks on Mangala.

She also says that Liverpool are leading the chase for van Dijk.

Is she a good journo?

Reddy is one of those who has the ear of people within the club (blabbermouths and snitches!)

Doesn't she actually work for the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

£50m seems to be the going rate for a decent player now. Madness. We could well spend £100m net which would be a lot for FSG but in reality its not near enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hmmm I've seen two tweets which are e30m apart, maybe one is without add-ons.

That'll be the agents fees ;)

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    £50m seems to be the going rate for a decent player now. Madness. We could well spend £100m net which would be a lot for FSG but in reality its not near enough.

50M seems to be the new 30M. Especially if you are selling to a big English club.

proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FhTV7RKi.jpg&hash=edd748fdf773a339b34df89c8b4dd7fe

Doesn't she actually work for the club?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Van Dijk and Keita would be two massive coups imo. Be happy with one but both would be amazing.

Perhaps FSG are willing to loosen their purse strings and abandon their transfer model if even for a transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great player but he's not really what we need, is he? What would he do for the 65% of the game where we have the ball?

For one thing, we'd have lost less of those 67%+ posession games than we did - he's a great man for snuffing out the quick counter.

Also, a great defensive midfielder allows the whole team to attack better. You could leave 2 cb's split, with him central just in front, and feel ok about most of the rest of the team pushing forward hard.

brevity wrote: »
    If we are getting rid of Marcovic I wonder would Rafa at Newcastle take a chance on him?

I'd be interested to see if Rafa could get the best out of him.

Maybe... though Rafa's only weak spot with us was developing wingers. CB's, midfielders, forwards - he made them all better players. But wingers always just seemed to come and go.

Having said that, Markovic is a good option for any club coming up i think.

On a similar note, really hope Huddersfield get up, so we can loan them our best youngsters since Wagner and Klopp are such good buddies with similar philosophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's two big potential risks with that though - it requires that everyone else actually gets their business done in a timely fashion, when there's perhaps a bigger likelihood that a few hitters will get desperate late in the window and be offering crazy money, in which case we've wasted the window and are ****ed.

And if its a high spending window (which it looks like it will be), it allows the market price for X type of player to be set. So for instance, someone can spend stupid money on Dahoud, and when we move for Keita, that price can be pointed to as the market value.

IMO we're much better off getting in early before the crazy merry-go-round begins.

Melissa Reddy is now saying the club is ready to surpass the ?50m mark multiply times this summer to build quality and competition in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Melissa Reddy is now saying the club is ready to surpass the ?50m mark multiply times this summer to build quality and competition in the squad.

Melissa Reddy is quite high profile these days so if she's saying these things she must have it on good authority.

And she's very hot.

Yeah she's the Liverpool correspondent for Goal.com and has good links with the club.

And she's very hot.

I agree.

9225__8198__mel2_522b50bed4524304788764.jpg
    3471__2532__mel1_522b50bdb1d4c115631712.jpg

• Advertisement

Not leaning enough for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Not leaning enough for my liking.

High standards.

High standards.

That's more like it

t64I1Qo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

High standards.

Poor ****ing eyesight, more like.

Mangala has had a great season. Valencia would buy him if they had the money.

I agree.

9225_8198_mel2_522b50bed4524304788764.jpg
    3471__2532__mel1_522b50bdb1d4c115631712.jpg

I miss our S.S.S attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

NukaCola wrote: »

Exactly how I feel about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I came across a bit about Kasper Dolberg this evening and what he could bring Liverpool.

http://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/liverpool-kasper-dolberg-jurgen-klopps-new-robert-lewandowski

Waterford Whispers now has a footie spin off? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The reality is they won't.

But that's not the reality, it's an assumption.

There's nobody on here who can say for certain that FSG won't go and get Klopp's targets because none of us know who Klopp's "top targets" are.

The common internet consensus seems to be that poor auld Klopp will be denied his top targets by the big bad unambitious FSG and having to make do, but it's probably all bull****e.
    Last Summer Klopp said that there were players he wanted but couldn't force them to join, so that's fair enough. It's a big jump to go from that to FSG not backing him, he never suggested money wasn't there.
    He even said the money was there but he wasnt going to bring in a player he didnt want.

The young Dortmund lad would be a good example, he said himself that he even met with Klopp but he didnt want the move.
    That's not FSG's fault.

Chances are that FSG will bring in most of Klopp's targets this Summer but there will always be a few players going for 80 million and people will say that our owners should have gone for them for Klopp when in reality he doesnt tend to go for signing superstars anyway.
    The day Klopp leaves or says he's not being backed by the owners is the day I'll believe that they don't fund him well enough.
    Personally I think he's happy enough and all this FSG denying Klopp funds stuff is pie in the sky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement