Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I wonder how many players will wait until we seal cl

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Talisman wrote: »
    I think our transfer strategy will be to let other clubs make their high profile signings and then we will make offers for our targets so as to avoid over paying.

You make it sound like we want to wait to pull a bird in the chipper at three o'clock in the morning, on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ricero wrote: »
    Van Dijk and Keita would be two massive coups imo. Be happy with one but both would be amazing.

Perhaps FSG are willing to loosen their purse strings and abandon their transfer model if even for a transfer window

Tbf, if FSG spent £400,000,000 you'd complain they were skimping and didn't spend £400,000,001.

All these demands, expectations, and sense of entitlement about how much they should spend is ridiculous. It should be clear by now that Klopp's 'philoshophee' is about the team being greater than the sum of its parts. The player being the right fit is more important than how much they cost.

Turtyturd wrote:
    All these demands, expectations, and sense of entitlement about how much they should spend is ridiculous. It should be clear by now that Klopp's 'philoshophee' is about the team being greater than the sum of its parts. The player being the right fit is more important than how much they cost.

I completely agree. It doesn't matter how much we spend as long as we get the traits that klopp is looking for. Who cares if they are free like Mario or our most expensive signing like mane (at least in my mind lol).

Price doesn't seem to mean sh1t. The issue is being too stubborn to pay the extra 5 million to get the player we need.

Our squad is small but if we brought back loans and didn't sell we would only need a couple of to class players to fill the squad. Lazer sakho and ward would all be back as well as keeping Lucas flano and wisdom(if he is still at the club FFS) if I had my way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr.H wrote: »
    I completely agree. It doesn't matter how much we spend as long as we get the traits that klopp is looking for. Who cares if they are free like Mario or our most expensive signing like mane (at least in my mind lol).

Price doesn't seem to mean sh1t. The issue is being too stubborn to pay the extra 5 million to get the player we need.

Our squad is small but if we brought back loans and didn't sell we would only need a couple of to class players to fill the squad. Lazer sakho and ward would all be back as well as keeping Lucas flano and wisdom(if he is still at the club FFS) if I had my way

Those lads have barely played in two years. Really not the standard I'd want us to be replying on as backup.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Those lads have barely played in two years. Really not the standard I'd want us to be replying on as backup.

Both were class in their respective times though. I agree I wouldn't be overly happy about relying on them but as squad fillers and considering we are not gonna sign ten players. I'd be OK with them. Not delighted but easily ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mr.H wrote: »
    Both were class in their respective times though. I agree I wouldn't be overly happy about relying on them but as squad fillers and considering we are not gonna sign ten players. I'd be OK with them. Not delighted but easily ok

I cant ever remember either being class mr h. Not good enough and should be sold to raise extra transfer funds. Cant have sentiment in football these days

Maybe it is sentiment but I remember the scouse cafu getting all kinda plaudits.

But as I said I'd be OK with them as backup if it meant spending the budget on two three next level lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

murpho999 wrote: »
    He will only sign players if he feels they will fit his system and are worth the money.

Just because he refused to overpay in January does not mean he won't spend the money on the right player, I said Klopp .

Looking for value does not mean you won't spend money.
    I think you're stating the obvious - I merely said we won't sign five £30M+ players.

Here's what Klopp had to say after the Pogba transfer last summer.
    If you bring one player in for £100million or whatever and he gets injured then it all goes through the chimney.

The day that this is football, I’m not in a job any more, because the game is about playing together. That is why somebody invented passes so these players can play together. It’s not about running with the ball because you can do it all the time.

Building the group is not my unique idea – it is necessary to be successful in football.

Other clubs can go out and spend more money and collect top players, yes. Do I have to do it differently to that?

Actually, I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money.

I don’t know exactly how much money we could spend because nobody has told me up to this point ‘no, no, no you can’t do this’. If I spend money it is because I am trying to build a real team.

You can win championships, you can win titles. But maybe there is a manner in which you want it. It is about how it is.

If you all swim in the same pool, the pool is too small - you all go for the same players,

There are a lot of players outside that pool - good players on to the next step in their career. We try to find them.

The best player of the last season is good to know but it is more interesting trying to find out who will be the best next year.

If you knew it now that would be a really cool transfer! It would be much cheaper too. That is what we work for.

It is not about being creative because creative is cool or something. It is about finding the players who can make the next step with us.

I’m not really interested in things from other clubs. They can do what they want and spend as much as they want.

I don’t know exactly how much we have spent so far. For five or six players we could have bought one player for the same money but I don’t care.

I have no influence on what other clubs do so why should I think about it? I am not the moral guardian of the league. I won’t say ‘oh, come on, that’s too much money’.

We’ve spent a lot of money. It’s all about perspective. I am pretty sure it will stop somewhere.

(Gonzalo) Higuain! (who went from Napoli to Juventus for £75.3million). Whatever. Where there is money somebody else will take it.

That’s how it is in the football business. It’s not my problem.

If we are convinced someone is the right player then we think about money. Then we have the price, then we have to ask and work at it.

Is this something we should do? If we agree then we will do it but only then for the right price.
    Last summer we missed out on a number of transfer targets for various reasons which have been previously discussed. Mane and Wijnaldum were certainly "players who can make the next step with us" and Mane could be classified as one "who will be the best next year" seeing as he made the PFA team of the year this season.

This summer we know that Klopp wants to sign five players. Our supposed targets include:

Ryan Sessegnon (£12-15M): He is the type of talented young player that Klopp likes to develop.

Virgil van Dijk (£50M): Also a supposed target for Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd so it's understandable why the club might not want to get into a bidding war. Man Utd want to sign one on Michael Keane, Virgil van Dijk and Victor Lindelof. Leonardo Bonucci is supposed to be a target for both Man City and Chelsea. In this situation it would be a poor strategy for Liverpool to open negotiations for the player before the other clubs make a move in the transfer market.

Naby Keita (£50-60M): Liverpool will have to overpay to sign him, Leipzig are adamant that they won't sell any first team players this summer as they have qualified for the Champions League and want to keep their squad together.

Timo Werner (£22M): Another Leipzig player but he has a €25M release clause in his contract. If Liverpool activate the clause before agreeing a deal for Keita it could sour the relationship between the clubs and make signing Keita impossible.

Who the actual targets are is anybody's guess, it doesn't really matter so long as the club do all that they can to sign the players that Klopp wants.

You make it sound like we want to wait to pull a bird in the chipper at three o'clock in the morning, on purpose.
    No - that's the level at which your mind works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Playing in Europe next season no matter what..

So how many players do we need?

I'm thinking at least four but saying that I would've liked about four extra players for the last campaign.

I'm still not sure about any of the young guys coming through.

Prioritize the league and everything after is a bonus.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Taisman suggested waiting for the other big clubs to make their moves so we can get their cast-offs.
    Really? I don't recall saying that at all.
    My point is that if we wait we will lose out on our mooted targets because they're also those other clubs' targets.

I wouldn't mind Iheanacho or Turan or Oxelade Chamberlain, but if the main targets are Werner, Salah and Keita, there's no point in waiting around to see if they go elsewhere in the hope that we get the other lads on the cheap.
    Oxlade-Chamberlain is in contract negotiations with Arsenal which is more than likely why we have been linked to him. Walcott uses the same strategy when negotiating a new contract with the club, maybe they have the same agent.
    "Y'know who's good is that Morata. Let's wait for Chelsea to sign him so we can more easily convince Patrick Bamford he's not wanted at Stamford Bridge and get him for a million quid less".
    Funny thing is that Liverpool could have signed Morata for €20M in 2014, but somebody at the club was only interested in a loan deal and instead the club took a punt on Mario Balotelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the likes of Wisdom, Flannagan are at the club next season something has gone horribly wrong. It's hard to comment on the former as Salzburg are usually a half division better than everyone else but Flanno was hardly used by Dyche all season (3 starts, 3 subs). Let him become a star in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

FSG almost have to spend big this Summer. There has been too much noise in the media over the past few weeks about what they are going to spend. Anything less now and there will be major disappointment and grumbles from the support. Not to mention the club have made a profit in the last 3 transfers windows. It's time to back the manager if they want to make CL football a regular occurrence.

doesn't this happen every year:

1. announce war chest when season ticket renewals come around
    2. manage expectations / they players we wanted were not available?

seems a recurring theme... but there should be no excuses now in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

More links to Keita from ye this morning. Do you think that the Club will spend that much on one player? Will ye have to break your wage structure this season?

It will be a big difference and will make it a lot more interesting with more clubs willing to offer CL & wages this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Tbf, if FSG spent £400,000,000 you'd complain they were skimping and didn't spend £400,000,001.

This needed saying. Klopp is not a cheque book manager, the idea of trying to buy a finished team is anathema to the way he works.

If the likes of Wisdom, Flannagan are at the club next season something has gone horribly wrong. It's hard to comment on the former as Salzburg are usually a half division better than everyone else but Flanno was hardly used by Dyche all season (3 starts, 3 subs). Let him become a star in the Championship.
    I think Wisdom was sent to Salzburg to give him an opportunity to develop his technical skills in a slower paced league. His playing style has always relied on his physicality, at Salzburg he would need to develop other skills and become more comfortable with using the ball. Unfortunately he got injured shortly after he joined but he only missed a handful of games after he got into the team in December.

This season was all about Flannagan having a chance to prove his fitness and unfortunately for him that didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

garra wrote: »
    This needed saying. Klopp is not a cheque book manager, the idea of trying to buy a finished team is anathema to the way he works.

Word of the day for me there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So now that we know the treble is any 3 trophies won in a season along with the community shield Liverpool were the 1st team to win the treble of European Cup, Domsric Cup and League.

Or if you are counting what you win in a 12 month period only English team to hold 5 trophies at the one time in 2001 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

So now that we know the treble is any 3 trophies won in a season along with the community shield Liverpool were the 1st team to win the treble of European Cup, Domsric Cup and League.

Or if you are counting what you win in a 12 month period only English team to hold 5 trophies at the one time in 2001 :pac:

You know it might be just me but I remember United followers back in the day when they were hoovering up trophies left, right and centre, disdainfully turning their noses up at anything which wasn't the CL or PL. We apparently won a 'plastic treble' in 2001.
    Even the Community Shield is now no longer an object of scorn. It's hard to keep up these days. How times change, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

mosstin wrote: »
    You know it might be just me but I remember United followers back in the day when they were hoovering up trophies left, right and centre, disdainfully turning their noses up at anything which wasn't the CL or PL. We apparently won a 'plastic treble' in 2001.
    Even the Community Shield is now no longer an object of scorn. It's hard to keep up these days. How times change, eh?

If you were looking for consistency, you went to the wrong shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

corwill wrote: »
    If you were looking for consistency, you went to the wrong shop.

I just want to get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I just want to get it right.
    It seems to change from day to day.

Like, the season is over and I'm still not sure if I'm allowed post here if I watch a hurling match today.

It's difficult to be a true fan these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Like, the season is over and I'm still not sure if I'm allowed post here of I watch a hurling match today.

Don't mention the war.

Liverpool will play Athletic Bilbao on August 5th in Dublin, presumably at the Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

shur remember when utd didnt even enter the fa cup like !! more important things to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

How many here would have bought Mane and Wijnaldum this time last year for the money we spent on them only a handful I would imagine.

The money was there for him to get those players he wanted.

Klopp wanted them and those two were our players of the season for me.

It also seems we tried to get MMMBop last summer as well but were told to go jump.

That shows me at least the Klopp knows the type of player he needs and wants and the club will back him trying to get those players with the money.

I am one of that handful! I was over the moon when we signed Mane and also very excited by wijnaldum's signing but was shouted down by so many on this thread that it is very nice to be sitting here vindicated at the end of the season. :p

I firmly believe we will add a few more of that ilk and hopefully they will be as successful as those two, however, no manager in the history of the game has had a 100% success rate with signings and I expect Klopp to be no different. I have said it since day 1 of Klopp's tenure here and I'll say it again, with Klopp we are headed in a very exciting direction. Of course there will be bumps and bruises along the way but Klopp is here for the longterm and we shouldn't lose sight of that, even when discussing his transfer targets etc. They don't all need to be successes for the team to progress long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Congrats to Brendan on the treble with Celtic.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Fair play Brendan Rogers great year unbeaten and the treble. Just wish you could have won the league for us.

Personally I love it when my Utd supporting friends quote winning the league cup and community shield as a success because that in itself just shows how far from their perch they have fallen. :D
    10-15 years ago they were falling over themselves laughing at me whenever I claimed the same thing (tho I never claimed a charity shield win was in any way significant so for them to mention that one is extra special), especially that treble in 2001. Tbh even for them to claim winning the Fa cup is anything significant for them shows how desperate they are these days when you consider the complete lack of respect they have shown for that trophy in the past.

Also after spending an lifetime being told I'm living in the past by Utd fans it is so nice to finally be able to tell them the same thing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Fair play Brendan Rogers great year unbeaten and the treble. Just wish you could have won the league for us.

Piss poor league Blah Blah Blah.

Only the fourth time Celtic have won the domestic treble and to go the whole season unbeaten.

Fair play to them.

I would like to point out that I was 1 of only 2 people to thank Ricero's post saying that Mane was actually a good signing. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

mormank wrote: »
    I would like to point out that I was 1 of only 2 people to thank Ricero's post saying that Mane was actually a good signing. :cool:

Two posts below it I said this new front three has goals on them.

Mystic Coulson ;)

Ah I dunno about this thing of digging up old posts. Sure the whole site would be shown up if you go back to the Milner left back thing at the time.

Plus it sort of discourages people from speaking up about things if they're gonna be called up on it later on.

We're all geniuses in hindsight.

• Advertisement

Ah it was just a laugh, for the record I said he was very definitely a Klopp type signing (the implication being that he was probably the most important signing of the summer!:pac:)

Ah it was just a laugh, for the record I said he was very definitely a Klopp type signing (the implication being that he was probably the most important signing of the summer!:pac:)

haha, Ah yeah I know, it's just if I was one of those 3 lads ya quoted I'd be wiping ya off my Crimbo card list :p:D

Sure we all do it. My own worst one (not on here) was saying that Flanno would end up being our first choice full-back for a decade and England's too.

Still love that little fella anyway. :)

mormank wrote: »

I was the other but didn't expect him to be arguably our most important player :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Anyone fancy tonights winning lotto numbers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yea and 2/3rds of that plastic treble they are currently over the moon wining, how the high and mighty have fallen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

How many here would have bought Mane and Wijnaldum this time last year for the money we spent on them only a handful I would imagine.

Having read back through the thread after Harry posted those comments, it seems that the majority of people were actually pretty happy with signing Mane, so your 'only a handful' comment is miles off reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Ah I dunno about this thing of digging up old posts. Sure the whole site would be shown up if you go back to the Milner left back thing at the time.

Plus it sort of discourages people from speaking up about things if they're gonna be called up on it later on.

We're all geniuses in hindsight.

Well if people had the cop on not to write off players before they have even kicked a ball for us, they'd be better off.

Well if people had the cop on not to write off players before they have even kicked a ball for us, they'd be better off.

Fair enough.

Likewise though, if everyone agreed on every prospective signing then there wouldn't be much talk on here during the auld Summer.

I can't remember folk writing off Mane TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I nailed it.
    Mane, three years older than Sterling, 15m less. Similar enough players, tbh, although Mane can actually kick a ball with some power.

Happy enough with the signing.

Yo Liverpool, sign me up as a scout, fam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Would Arsenal swap the FA CUP for a Champions league spot? Would we swap the Champions League chance for the FA CUP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Would Arsenal swap the FA CUP for a Champions league spot? Would we swap the Champions League chance for the FA CUP?

Why would we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

As much as I would love if we won the FA cup, I wouldn't swap it for CL place. CL place will attact better players, or at least allow us to talk to them, but the FA cup is a nothing cup outside of the UK and attracts nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Augeo wrote: »
    I can't remember folk writing off Mane TBH.

Ok, go to this page.

A few samples below.

Boards when Mane was confirmed

Some stand out ones for me

Two from Joe Mysterio
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100170118&postcount=5919
    I genuinely thoughy we would get an exciting player this year, a big name. A marquee signing to really give the club lift going into the season.

Mane is just underwhelming. Squad player. I can already imagine the 'give him a season' comments. Why cant we go get a big player?

I thought players would want to play under Klopp? Trump up the money. Be ambitious.
    Cant believe we are buying another Southampton. Not too excited tbh.

Milkers http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100171710&postcount=5927
    I can't get excited over a signing unless he is already top tier. Mane certainly is not. He has potential and I don't think it's a bad signing by any means but not an exciting signing. He's just not that good (currently).
    Mane and matip both gone to African cup of nations next season?

Joe123 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100169721&postcount=5906
    Alright signing but 30 million is insane. Have to trust
    Klopp. Mikhiatrian(sp) joining Utd for 35 million. Great player but probably on twice the wages of Mané.

BornToByWilde
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100174541&postcount=5976
    Now we sit back and watch Leicester or Spurs or Southampton go buy a much better player than Mane for 12m in Europe.
    Usual story.

34 m for a guy that looks more like 34 than 24 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

So in his post-game interview Ox was asked about his favoured position and responded with "I've always wanted to be Steven Gerrard," our new number 8? :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement