Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Would Arsenal swap the FA CUP for a Champions league spot? Would we swap the Champions League chance for the FA CUP?

Context is important to this.

Sometimes an FA Cup win can be an indicator that a club is moving in the right direction, e.g. Man City winning it in 10/11 - then they won the league the next season, and have been a consistent Top 4 finisher since then.

Other cup wins we might file as "papering over the cracks" which is what Arsenal have done today. For them, winning the cup is a short term high - it'll be very sobering when Wenger signs a new contract on Wednesday. Rumours that Sanchez and Ozil will be leaving in the summer, and no CL next season - you would say it is a club moving in the wrong direction, despite the result.

That said, I'd love to have won it. Congrats to them - I'm a jealous man today. Was pure bliss to see John Terry on the bench, hating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

So in his post-game interview Ox was asked about his favoured position and responded with "I've always wanted to be Steven Gerrard," our new number 8? :p

Weird how we're always linked with this fella. I suppose if Klopp really actually does want him then absolutely lets go do it, but I don't really see it so much, he's a good player but nothing great.

(*Disclaimer, when this gets quoted next year I did say he was a "good" player)
    :D

Bit off topic but I was fookin chuffed for Arsene Wenger today.
    Always liked him and if thats his last game at the Gooners then nice way to end it.
    Aside from conveniently "missing" the odd ref decision he always came across as one of the nicer managers in the game and while you'd be double sore about losing points to the likes of Big Sam and Ferguson and Pardew, I've always liked Wenger.
    Still expect he'll stay for another year but either way, seems like a lovely man and a brilliant manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Umaro wrote: »
    Context is important to this.

Sometimes an FA Cup win can be an indicator that a club is moving in the right direction, e.g. Man City winning it in 10/11 - then they won the league the next season, and have been a consistent Top 4 finisher since then.

Other cup wins we might file as "papering over the cracks" which is what Arsenal have done today. For them, winning the cup is a short term high - it'll be very sobering when Wenger signs a new contract on Wednesday. Rumours that Sanchez and Ozil will be leaving in the summer, and no CL next season - you would say it is a club moving in the wrong direction, despite the result.

That said, I'd love to have won it. Congrats to them - I'm a jealous man today. Was pure bliss to see John Terry on the bench, hating it.

I think it's certain Wenger has signed a new deal and the performance today will be used by him as a "See, we can win the league next season."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I think it's certain Wenger has signed a new deal and the performance today will be used by him as a "See, we can win the league next season."

I think he might actually leave. He's getting on a bit now and might see this win as a good time to call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I would be very happy with the Ox, looked great today.

A younger Milner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I would be very happy with the Ox, looked great today.

A younger Milner

Plus we could sing, "Stop the Ox, can't stop the Ox. You can't stop the Ox, can't stop the Ox".

Could. But probably shouldn't. Still though.

Construction underway at Anfield as new pitch is installed and small number of seats added

60QO2Uk.jpg

The last time there were that many machines within Anfield we were singing, "We have the best midfield in the world".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Pity they didn't go ahead with the redevelopment of the Annfield road end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Pity they didn't go ahead with the redevelopment of the Annfield road end.

In the pipeline apparently. The fact that there is no corporate seats for that end is the hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

In the pipeline apparently. The fact that there is no corporate seats for that end is the hold up.

I wonder will the Fa change the regulations on standing areas, I think it would be great if the Anfield rd end and the Kop were all standing, it would really add to the atmosphere, reduce ticket prices, and increase capacity. Obviously safety would be paramount, but as seen elsewhere it's a very good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yea and 2/3rds of that plastic treble they are currently over the moon wining, how the high and mighty have fallen

Yeah so true, United have only won the FA Cup, the League Cup, and the Europa League in the past 53 weeks.
    They would be better off winning nothing, and be happy with their lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yeah so true, United have only won the FA Cup, the League Cup, and the Europa League in the past 53 weeks.
    They would be better off winning nothing, and be happy with their lot.

So it actually isn't a plastic treble anymore?

When did this happen?

It's hard to keep up these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

When did this happen?

When your manager is celebrating and tells his players to hold up 3 fingers.......thats what makes it a real treble.......

When did this happen?

It is about trophies, and winning trophies consistently, it is better to win whatever final one is in and getting that winning feeling in the team and to have it consistent.
    Finals are there to be won whatever the prize.

NukaCola wrote: »
    When your manager is celebrating and tells his players to hold up 3 fingers.......thats what makes it a real treble.......

Done for the sake of mentality in the team that they win things, and Jose knew it would piss off rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good to see a proper job being done this summer, about 5 years overdue

Done for the sake of mentality in the team that they win things, and Jose knew it would piss off rivals.

I doubt any rivals were pissed off tbh. As for mentality, the team just won a European cup, putting it next to the charity shield as a cup win is a bit silly. The majority of United fans will spin anything he does as a positive anyway, have to respect him for that. 2 cup wins and CL football will help in that regard I suppose.

Our perennially linked German, Marco Reus, may have ruptured his cruciate ligament in the German cup final yesterday.

https://twitter.com/BundesligaSpot/status/868758114937470977

From BILD, apparently, so he is probably running a marathon as I post this.

Good, well not good for him but if it means he's not part of the conversation this summer I'm happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I like the part where they are building a large dirt hill to try and protect Lovren's side of the pitch.

• Advertisement

I doubt any rivals were pissed off tbh. As for mentality, the team just won a European cup, putting it next to the charity shield as a cup win is a bit silly. The majority of United fans will spin anything he does as a positive anyway, have to respect him for that. 2 cup wins and CL football will help in that regard I suppose.

Most fans will say we won two cups, but then one could argue by including the community shield, it acknowledges they also won a major trophy last season to get into the community shield.
    Having a winning mentality in a team is very important.
    Liverpool were associated with being consistent winners, United were until they went two seasons without winning a trophy, won a community shield with Moyes, but it was not the start of anything then, it was the end.
    In the last 53 weeks they have showed they are getting the winning mentality back with winning 3 cup competitions and a community shield.
    It is good foundations for the future, and I am sure Liverpool fans would be delighted if they had won the same in the last 53 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The real James Pearce is taking the next 3 weeks off so he won't be tweeting transfer news,

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/868681918891544576

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

As someone who has been called out/quoted above for being wrong about Mane I have to say I quite like the idea of being held accountable for things you post. I understand the resistance to that notion though, after all accountability is decidedly un-Irish :pac:

Also in my (and others) defence I think there is a significant difference between writing a player off and being underwhelmed by a signing. Many were in the latter group but I'm still not convinced too many were actually writing him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Ya it's amazing the spin that was put on that Europa league final, united set up against a much weaker side with 10 men behind the ball, hitting long ball up to fellani or over the top to Rashford, pure muck ball, only had 30% of the possession got a fortunate first goal, and afterwards it was hailed a tactical master class. Lmfao

Most fans will say we won two cups, but then one could argue by including the community shield, it acknowledges they also won a major trophy last season to get into the community shield.
    Having a winning mentality in a team is very important.
    Liverpool were associated with being consistent winners, United were until they went two seasons without winning a trophy, won a community shield with Moyes, but it was not the start of anything then, it was the end.
    In the last 53 weeks they have showed they are getting the winning mentality back with winning 3 cup competitions and a community shield.
    It is good foundations for the future, and I am sure Liverpool fans would be delighted if they had won the same in the last 53 weeks.
    Why the 53 week measurement?

It's a bit like saying 'we won 4.6 of the last 5.8 games'.

It always strikes me as over egging the pudding if such an unusual length of time is used, an attempt to hype up an achievement to make it look much more significant than it actually is.

Can anyone tell me why this is being discussed on this thread?

Ya it's amazing the spin that was put on that Europa league final, united set up against a much weaker side with 10 men behind the ball, hitting long ball up to fellani or over the top to Rashford, pure muck ball, only had 30% of the possession got a fortunate first goal, and afterwards it was hailed a tactical master class. Lmfao

Who cares, maybe Liverpool enjoyed losing the final last year?
    I doubt it though.

Winger said after the game something along those lines about winning the league next year.
    Who cares, maybe Liverpool enjoyed losing the final last year?
    I doubt it though.

After Sturridge putting us ahead losing that game was terrible... some effective 10men behind the ball would have been lovely IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sessegnon to spurs is doing the rounds this morning. Looks a great prospect pity if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

ricero wrote: »
    Sessegnon to spurs is doing the rounds this morning. Looks a great prospect pity if true

Doesn't make too much sense to me, They've got two good left backs as is so couldn't see him getting any game time.

• Advertisement

Our need is clearly greater! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Our need is clearly greater! :D

We haven't had Levy gazumping us in a while, almost nostalgia inducing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Most fans will say we won two cups, but then one could argue by including the community shield

1put00.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Spurs ITK is actually looking at the contract :)

DAb3vJIW0AI-ecH.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I hate the off season and all the transfer bullshit that goes with it. It's all such a waste of energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Looks like clubs are moving to get deals done early this year, city have signed half the Monaco team apparently, utd have one or two done deals, we seem to be a little quite, i'd like us to wrap up our signings early so we can concentrate on a good pre-season which we'll need before playing the qualifiers for the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Players come and go
    Fans last a lifetime
    History is forever

History will show Arsenal won the FA Cup, and United the Europa Cup in 2017. Would we swap either for our 4th spot in league, well obviously we would swap one of those, maybe some would swap either.
    The history books will show a blank for Liverpool this year and many previous years.

Doesn't make too much sense to me, They've got two good left backs as is so couldn't see him getting any game time.

We might buy one of them.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Augeo wrote: »
    We might buy one of them.....

Rose and....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why wouldn't they if they see him as a future improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The history books will show a blank for Liverpool this year and many previous years.

I'd like to think this year we made progress under Klopp how much remains to be seen. I hope by the end of his time at the club we'll have more than a domestic cup or a Europa league to look back on. Dalglish nearly won the domestic double & still got sacked.
    It's nice to win a cup but we need champions league football to improve our position of being 7th or 6th.

Klopp was brought in to address that. And you can only judge him on the job he's doing. "Many previous years" are not his problem. 2 cup finals a semi-final and a 4th place finish is solid work in the time he's been here. Not amazing but something solid to build on.

The cups sometimes need to take a back seat or a priority as the season progresses, especially when your squad isn't deep enough to compete on multiple fronts. History is important but I'm confident about our future. I nearly always prefer winning cups to 3rd/4th etc but as this squad needs to be built with quality players being a regular in the CL is also needed. Its a balancing act that will continue until Klopp has built a deep squad.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they if they see him as a future improvement?

What I mean is if he had the choice I don't know why he'd go to the club where he'll almost never get a game when Liverpool are screaming out for a new starting LB.

What I mean is if he had the choice I don't know why he'd go to the club where he'll almost never get a game when Liverpool are screaming out for a new starting LB.

Young and doesn't want to leave London and Spurs are challenging for the league. I suspect he has no concept of not being good enough and I'd bet he thinks he could break into the Spurs team.

He'd probably be better off playing every game where he is in the Championship for his development but thats not going to happen.

Didn't want him anyway. Larndarn softie.

• Advertisement

I doubt he's getting in the team ahead of Danny Rose tbh. He'd surely have better options than sit behind him for a few years.

Ben Davies, despite his awful game against us when Mane roasted him, is also a decent left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sturridge has to be happy at Liverpool. He can be injured for 6 months but once fit he's straight back on bench and straight back on pitch such is his quality.
    He can hardly complain of lack of game time as when fit he's involved. Is the quality enough of a reason to keep him, he can make the difference come the end of next season in a CL Final even if it is his first appearance of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Ah I dunno about this thing of digging up old posts. Sure the whole site would be shown up if you go back to the Milner left back thing at the time.

Plus it sort of discourages people from speaking so much rubbish if they're gonna be called up on it later on.

We're all geniuses in hindsight.

FYP ;)

Reus injured for another 6 months so there goes another left back link.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Reus injured for another 6 months so there goes another left back link.

Off topic but his career has been blighted the last few years with injury. 5 years ago since he tore Ireland to shreds at the Aviva. Fortunately for Dortmund they now have Pulisic & Dembele

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement