Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

ERG89 wrote: »
    Off topic but his career has been blighted the last few years with injury. 5 years ago since he tore Ireland to shreds at the Aviva. Fortunately for Dortmund they now have Pulisic & Dembele

It's all very Sturridge-esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

wir1h5.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Weird how we're always linked with this fella. I suppose if Klopp really actually does want him then absolutely lets go do it, but I don't really see it so much, he's a good player but nothing great.

(*Disclaimer, when this gets quoted next year I did say he was a "good" player)
    :D

Bit off topic but I was fookin chuffed for Arsene Wenger today.
    Always liked him and if thats his last game at the Gooners then nice way to end it.
    Aside from conveniently "missing" the odd ref decision he always came across as one of the nicer managers in the game and while you'd be double sore about losing points to the likes of Big Sam and Ferguson and Pardew, I've always liked Wenger.
    Still expect he'll stay for another year but either way, seems like a lovely man and a brilliant manager.

Well tbf it is when the same posters just post the same negative BS about Liverpool and the signings and then go on about how "we are liverpool" so we should win the league every year and other such crap that I get into a mood where I feel like it is warranted to shove their nonsense back down their throats. Balanced posters who get it wrong occasionally I have absolutely no issues with...but the posters who constantly just complain and nothing is ever good enough for them or we never spend enough money etc are the ones that I would quote a year later to prove they were talking shoite!! Those posters just bring down this entire thread and therefore I have no issues with pointing out their drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

NukaCola wrote: »
    Young and doesn't want to leave London and Spurs are challenging for the league. I suspect he has no concept of not being good enough and I'd bet he thinks he could break into the Spurs team.

He'd probably be better off playing every game where he is in the Championship for his development but thats not going to happen.

He's an English lad and lord knows every English footballer gets placed on a plinth by their own media at a young age. Most of the English team appear to believe their own hype and are convinced about their amazing ability long before they actually have the ability, hence the stupid valuations in comparison to their average EU counterparts.

If we did get him, I'm sure we would revert to type and loan him back anyway. Milner will be at that position for at least another year.

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is about trophies, and winning trophies consistently, it is better to win whatever final one is in and getting that winning feeling in the team and to have it consistent.
    Finals are there to be won whatever the prize.

Don't you read the post before you reply?? He said how the high and mighty have fallen i.e. 16 years ago Utd fans, which I assume you are, were laughing at Pool fans for claiming to have won a treble when we won a european cup, and 2 domestic titles of higher value than the 2 Utd won this season and now ye're manager is telling his players to do just that! The players, not even the fans...you don't see anything humbing about that no?
    Done for the sake of mentality in the team that they win things, and Jose knew it would piss off rivals.

Didn't piss me off, made me laugh. And like I said before each and everytime a Utd fan even mentions having won a league cup or charity shield it gives me a warm cuddly feeling as it just shows how starved ye are now for success that ye will celebrate winning a throw in ffs!!! :D

Damien360 wrote: »
    He's an English lad and lord knows every English footballer gets placed on a plinth by their own media at a young age. Most of the English team appear to believe their own hype and are convinced about their amazing ability long before they actually have the ability, hence the stupid valuations in comparison to their average EU counterparts.

If we did get him, I'm sure we would revert to type and loan him back anyway. Milner will be at that position for at least another year.

So you are saying that clubs pay such a high "english tax" because the players themselves think they are great?? :eek: I think it has much more to do with the very poorly thought out homegrown rule than the players egos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The club website has posted a comparison of this years and last years stats.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/264886-a-season-comparison-in-stats-2016-17-vs-2015-16

A few stats jump out. An increase in shot accuracy and conversion rate, big increase in number of penalties and average possession and a big drop in number of offsides ( Benteke?:pac:). Also a big drop in the number of tackles and successful tackles and our headers won % dropping from 50.7% to 45.2%.

I think the increase in shot accuracy could be entirely down to Coutinho hitting row z less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Most fans will say we won two cups, but then one could argue by including the community shield, it acknowledges they also won a major trophy last season to get into the community shield.
    Having a winning mentality in a team is very important.
    Liverpool were associated with being consistent winners, United were until they went two seasons without winning a trophy, won a community shield with Moyes, but it was not the start of anything then, it was the end.
    In the last 53 weeks they have showed they are getting the winning mentality back with winning 3 cup competitions and a community shield.
    It is good foundations for the future, and I am sure Liverpool fans would be delighted if they had won the same in the last 53 weeks.
    Why the 53 week measurement?

It's a bit like saying 'we won 4.6 of the last 5.8 games'.

It always strikes me as over egging the pudding if such an unusual length of time is used, an attempt to hype up an achievement to make it look much more significant than it actually is.
    Damn lies and statistics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

mormank wrote: »
    Don't you read the post before you reply?? He said how the high and mighty have fallen i.e. 16 years ago Utd fans, which I assume you are, were laughing at Pool fans for claiming to have won a treble when we won a european cup, and 2 domestic titles of higher value than the 2 Utd won this season and now ye're manager is telling his players to do just that! The players, not even the fans...you don't see anything humbing about that no?

Didn't piss me off, made me laugh. And like I said before each and everytime a Utd fan even mentions having won a league cup or charity shield it gives me a warm cuddly feeling as it just shows how starved ye are now for success that ye will celebrate winning a throw in ffs!!! :D

Alex Ferguson first European trophy with United was the Cup winners cup, everyone has to start from somewhere and United had fallen after the retirement of Fergie.
    I don't laugh at any team winning something, winning a trophy for any team is good for the team, I don't care the players put 3 fingers up, they could have given everyone the two fingers... :p

If your team plays in the community shield, do you want them to win?
    A cup final?
    Of course, every fan wants their team winning. United and Liverpool have a history of being serial winners, and no fan wants their team to lose that. United had lost it for two years, but are back winning. I do think it is important for any team team that has been use to winning that when it stops, they get back to winning consistently as quickly as possible so it doesn't matter if it is a league cup, a Fa Cup, a Europa League, one needs to win something to get into a Community shield (unless one has done the double, then a team that has not won could make the CS).
    I know Liverpool fans want to win trophies and get back to winning trophies, when a team has not been winning trophies, one has to start from somewhere, it is the same for Liverpool as it has been for United.
    People talk about how good Spurs are, but what have they won?
    Liverpool or United, two teams with a great history, it has to be about winning trophies, not taking part to make up the numbers.
    United went into every cup game last season to win, can Liverpool fans say their manager did the same?
    One can only try and win whatever they are in, and Liverpool with less games could have played their better players in cup games and at least tried to win a trophy. I think Klopp let down the fans there.

Teams like Liverpool and United should always go out to play as if they are starved for success, whether that is the case or not. One would hope the team one supports is hungry for success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

You are aware the cup games came along when Liverpool had 9 games in a month in the middle of having some players out injured or just coming back from injury and having a player away at the AFCON and one not allowed to play because of AFCON.

Alex Ferguson first European trophy with United was the Cup winners cup, everyone has to start from somewhere and United had fallen after the retirement of Fergie.
    I don't laugh at any team winning something, winning a trophy for any team is good for the team, I don't care the players put 3 fingers up, they could have given everyone the two fingers... :p

If your team plays in the community shield, do you want them to win?
    A cup final?
    Of course, every fan wants their team winning. United and Liverpool have a history of being serial winners, and no fan wants their team to lose that. United had lost it for two years, but are back winning. I do think it is important for any team team that has been use to winning that when it stops, they get back to winning consistently as quickly as possible so it doesn't matter if it is a league cup, a Fa Cup, a Europa League, one needs to win something to get into a Community shield (unless one has done the double, then a team that has not won could make the CS).
    I know Liverpool fans want to win trophies and get back to winning trophies, when a team has not been winning trophies, one has to start from somewhere, it is the same for Liverpool as it has been for United.
    People talk about how good Spurs are, but what have they won?
    Liverpool or United, two teams with a great history, it has to be about winning trophies, not taking part to make up the numbers.
    United went into every cup game last season to win, can Liverpool fans say their manager did the same?
    One can only try and win whatever they are in, and Liverpool with less games could have played their better players in cup games and at least tried to win a trophy. I think Klopp let down the fans there.

Teams like Liverpool and United should always go out to play as if they are starved for success, whether that is the case or not. One would hope the team one supports is hungry for success.

I'm not laughing at ye winning the trophy dummy :), I'm laughing at how Utd fans are claiming the league cup and charity shield as real trophies all of a sudden when they had been turning their noses up at them for years and even disregarding the FA cup so much that they didn't enter it one year! Now all of a sudden because it is ye that are struggling it's something worth claiming. And you're right, it is...but the point is that after being mocked and derided my entire life supporting Liverpool by Utd fans by claiming the exact same things you are claiming just now, even being called delusion, you must be able to appreciate from my point of view how delicious it sounds coming from a Utd fan. :D (My earliest memory as Liverpool fan is winning the 95 Coca Cola cup)

I agree with alot of what you said there tbh but what it all boils down to is ye are no longer on ye're perch and after being so smug, arrogant, cocky etc about it for my entire life it is just so damn lovely to watch ye squirm now!
    Besides ye basically sold ye're souls when ye appointed Mourinho anyway so that was the catalyst for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Honestly think that a Liverpool thread, a united thread and a Liverpool /United thread would be a good idea,at least if people want to see Liverpool gossip /discussion you don't have to go through that other stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I know there's an 'obsession' with Utd but any chance we could stop talking about them and whatever they won recently, it's gone beyond boring.

There's a long summer ahead talking about the 478 players twitter will say we are poised go buy, that itself will be hard enough to keep reading on its own without the other crap as well.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I know there's an 'obsession' with Utd but any chance we could stop talking about them and whatever they won recently, it's gone beyond boring.

There's a long summer ahead talking about the 478 players twitter will say we are poised go buy, that itself will be hard enough to keep reading on its own without the other crap as well.

Absolutely! I'm done. I've actually been quite vocal in the past about getting Utd fans out of this thread as most of them are just WUM's. :mad: I was just in a very jovial mood after getting back from Rome for my first time and let my guard down, won't happen again! :P

Have to say although I never really thought we would get him I am quite disappointed to hear of Youri Tielemans move to Monaco. I've been wanting us to sign him for years now. He would have slotted into our midfield 3 nicely imo. Honestly can't say I've seen too much of this Keita chap of Leipzig but I would be curious to know if anybody has seen alot of him and can give their opinion. I'm hearing he is a bit of a yaya toure type but I have no idea, don't even know what he looks like tbh...:o

sword1 wrote: »
    Honestly think that a Liverpool thread, a united thread and a Liverpool /United thread would be a good idea,at least if people want to see Liverpool gossip /discussion you don't have to go through that other stuff

What about a Liverpool/Hurling thread for all those lovers of both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

What about a Liverpool/Hurling thread for all those lovers of both?

"Pull in te him, Matip, he's no relation!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

mormank wrote: »
    (My earliest memory as Liverpool fan is winning the 95 Coca Cola cup)

For those of you too young to remember how good Steve Mcmanaman actually was, that 95' final would be a good example.

Apologies lads about trolling your match thread 2 weeks ago, bad day at the office. Congrats on the top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

For those of you too young to remember how good Steve Mcmanaman actually was, that 95' final would be a good example.

Brilliant player, I was mesmerised by him, just always expected him to do something special every single time he got the ball. Would love him in the team now across the flank from Mane!

Himself and Fowler had a tremendous understanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The club website has posted a comparison of this years and last years stats.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/264886-a-season-comparison-in-stats-2016-17-vs-2015-16

A few stats jump out. An increase in shot accuracy and conversion rate, big increase in number of penalties and average possession and a big drop in number of offsides ( Benteke?:pac:). Also a big drop in the number of tackles and successful tackles and our headers won % dropping from 50.7% to 45.2%.

Jumping up and down is our shameful clean sheet count of 12. Linda will be frankly disgusted with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Brilliant player, I was mesmerised by him, just always expected him to do something special every single time he got the ball. Would love him in the team now across the flank from Mane!

But Mcmanaman couldn't shoot. I don't know how many times I roared at the tv for him to cross and he would run with his head down across the byline. He went on to prove himself at Real Madrid. A great player with a couple of flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

He scored a great goal against Celtic up in Scotland but we got knocked out at Anfield. Wasn't a big fan of his but happy that he won the EC at Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hurling has been added to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Monday transfer monitoring we are looking to hijack the Lacazette deal with Atletico Madrid.

Monitoring to signing likelihood 4 out of 10 for me.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Hurling has been added to the list.

Hurling has been on my list for years. Somewhere between reality TV and talk radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Monday transfer monitoring we are looking to hijack the Lacazette deal with Atletico Madrid.

Monitoring to signing likelihood 4 out of 10 for me.:pac:

0.4 more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Great article on Keita. This would be a great signing. Appears to be a box to box midfielder.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/10893751/who-is-liverpool-target-naby-keita-we-profile-the-rb-leipzig-midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Vicxas wrote: »
    0.4 more like.

Atletico have a transfer ban in place don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Great article on Keita. This would be a great signing. Appears to be a box to box midfielder.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/10893751/who-is-liverpool-target-naby-keita-we-profile-the-rb-leipzig-midfielder

He looks like exactly what we need, therefore there is no chance he won't be playing for Spurs or Chelsea next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Obligatory You Tube video with music to show his skills.

I don't base a lot on these videos as they can make any player looks good but he does look a very aggressive forward thinking player in this.

I wonder what will happen as Leipzig are determined to keep him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Have a look at the rumoured fee city will be paying for a uncapped keeper who has played very little top level football.. that's what we are up against.. finding gems for cheaper is our only hope really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    Hurling has been on my list for years. Somewhere between reality TV and talk radio.

Of things you love to love. Disgusted Liverpool isn't there, you're not a superfan so

Have a look at the rumoured fee city will be paying for a uncapped keeper who has played very little top level football.. that's what we are up against.. finding gems for cheaper is our only hope really

If you look at what they may pay for Mbappe as well if he does join them they will have spent close to €170m on two players who have been involved in just over 100 games of senior football.

Add the €50m they spent on Silva to that the cult of Pep is truly shattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

He looks the business. We need to monitor the bejaysus out of him.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Of things you love to love. Disgusted Liverpool isn't there, you're not a superfan so

Texted a friend of mine last weekend asking if he was going out for the Liverpool game. He responded saying he was missing it due to playing a hurling match later, and told me that I should be "Watching the Munster hurling, you absolute pagan".

Upon telling him that I didn't even know it was on, let alone care enough to watch it, he called me a "Stupid eggball touchdown wanker", due to my love for NFL.

You have to admire insults like that when they come your way.

Texted a friend of mine last weekend asking if he was going out for the Liverpool game. He responded saying he was missing it due to playing a hurling match later, and told me that I should be "Watching the Munster hurling, you absolute pagan".

Upon telling him that I didn't even know it was on, let alone care enough to watch it, he called me a "Stupid eggball touchdown wanker", due to my love for NFL.

I spy our new summer game, 'Knex. personality in 4 words'.:D

I spy our new summer game, 'Knex. personality in 4 words'.:D

I change my name to the winner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Add the €50m they spent on Silva to that the cult of Pep is truly shattered.

:confused:

What do you want him to do?

Not spend the money they're throwing at him so he can hold the moral highground and keep smug armchair managers appeased?

• Advertisement

I change my name to the winner?
    Should be some, erm, interesting entries....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Jaysus, getting a lot of milage out of that hurling thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can we all move on from Hurling, and discuss something else?

Net Spend

*Jumps out window*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

DrumSteve wrote: »

Its a bit off Kate Cohen.......but with a summer of GAA on the way I think it has the legs to go all the way...

DrumSteve wrote: »

Sure aren't we all hurlers on the ditch in here. :p

NukaCola wrote: »
    Its a bit off Kate Cohen.......but with a summer of GAA on the way I think it has the legs to go all the way...

Till the 1st Sunday in September anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The truth hurts, eggball w@anker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He's crap also. Will be their downfall to have him in goal.
    Will be funny though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

paddy power has suspended betting on van dijk to lfc. I know it could be all pie in the sky but paddy power usually get it right

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement