Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Palace are having second thoughts at paying ?30m for Sakho and now and whoever there new manager will he may not want Sakho or to risk that kind of money on a player who is recovering from an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Palace are having second thoughts at paying ?30m for Sakho and now and whoever there new manager will he may not want Sakho or to risk that kind of money on a player who is recovering from an injury.

There's definitely a few question marks over the fee to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Who will be tossed if we buy Salad?
    Will he be a first teamer, an upgrade.
    Or a bonch warmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Who will be tossed if we buy Salad?
    Will he be a first teamer, an upgrade?
    Or a bonch warmer?

Who knows. Que Salah Salah, whatever will be will be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

He will play one wing probably right side mane left side with coutinho playing deeper with Can and another.
    Gives us great options centrally at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Who knows. Que Salah Salah, whatever will be will be...

Lettuce be, lettuce be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

sword1 wrote: »
    Knex. wrote: »
    Apparently has to be done by end of June to work in the favour with regards to balancing the books for FFP.

Ffp, they must have a poor accountant, it doesn't seem to matter to others.
    Having seen City's rumoured signings it very much seems like it doesn't apply to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Let's do a bit of a sort of poll. Thank this post if you would be happy if firmino was first choice striker.

Thank this post,if you wouldn't be happy with firmino as first choice striker

Let's do a bit of a sort of poll. Thank this post if you would be happy if firmino was first choice striker.

Looking for the cheap thanks you whore.:P

• Advertisement

He will play one wing probably right side mane left side with coutinho playing deeper with Can and another.
    Gives us great options centrally at least

So if we do indeed replace Suarez in this window will Firmino be benched.
    It's just hard to figure out who plays where if we sign first teamers.

Thank this post,if you wouldn't be happy with firmino as first choice striker

If we sign no striker of course I'd be happy, but I thought maybe this time we would buy a proven first choice striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We badly need another striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Paying 30m for a lad who got injured by tripping over himself I guarantee they are having second thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We can muddle through with Firmino as our main CF.
    We can make progress.
    We can get CL again.

I don't think there's a hope we can win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A few interesting stats on Henderson today.

Passing; 87.4 passes per 90 minutes
    Touch; 0.4 bad touches per 90 minutes (a bad touch causing you to lose the ball i presume)
    Possession; Was disposessed 0.5 times per 90 minutes.

Rated highest in each of these amongst midfielders.

Pretty incredible really, when you take each of those into account - to be on the ball once per minute, but still manage to take so few poor touches, and be dispossessed so rarely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

noodler wrote: »

I would prefer us to nail down Salah, VVD and Keita first before we start looking at a striker. I'd even prefer we look for a left back after those signings. We still have Firmino, Sturrudge, Ings and Origi. Could splash the cash on above the search for striker in January.

noodler wrote: »

true. We need options. Firmino has proven that against good teams, he's nigh on perfect - brilliant at pulling players out of position to facilitate runs from the other attackers, brilliant at quick clever interchanges, quite a good finisher in his own right. But can be ineffectual when there's just no space against opposition happy to sit back.

Someone like Lacazette would be lovely, a quick guy who can get in behind, and get involved in interplay, but is also able to take his chances quickly.

Also for depth would be tempted to make a cheap move for Llorente. Shoots quickly, and often, wins the long ball, becomes an option for crosses, comparatively cheap, wouldn't expect to be first choice but still technically good and clever - perfect option for those awkward games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think Firmino is absolutely fine as our striker as long as we get another Mane type player (such as Salah) to play on the left. With a winger cutting in and running ahead of him on either side he operates as more of a false 9, and I'd trust him to be able to pick out those passes through to runners more than most strikers.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Also for depth would be tempted to make a cheap move for Llorente. Shoots quickly, and often, wins the long ball, becomes an option for crosses, comparatively cheap, wouldn't expect to be first choice but still technically good and clever - perfect option for those awkward games.
    Good idea in theory, but the last few times we tried that it failed. Seems when we put a tall player on all we know how to do is lump the ball forward, plus this type of player rarely gets used by us when they should. Carroll, Lambert and Benteke suggest we misuse this type of player. Unless Klopp does it different, not sure.

• Advertisement

eyerer wrote: »
    Good idea in theory, but the last few times we tried that it failed. Seems when we put a tall player on all we know how to do is lump the ball forward, plus this type of player rarely gets used by us when they should. Carroll, Lambert and Benteke suggest we misuse this type of player. Unless Klopp does it different, not sure.

Lambert unfortunately wasn't good enough anymore at that stage of his career, and each of the other two we were trying to use as our main striker. That's just never going to work for us. It was effective at times, but runs counter to what the team is trying to achieve. But that doesn't mean it's not a useful option to have for when the need arises - just not a 30+ million pound option.

We need the discount version of those guys, to play 20% as much as they were expected to. We need it for the occasions we do need to lump it in there from deep, or wide, win the first ball, and cause trouble from the knockdowns. We're already trying those things when we get desperate, except with forward players who can't do anything with those balls.

Variety is the spice of life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool are going to buy another plan B man - see Carroll, Lambert, Benteke. If Sturridge goes then get in a similar type - Kelechi Iheanacho for example though as another African player that might not be a good idea if Salah is joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Liverpool desperately need a striker.

Get Dolberg.

true. We need options. Firmino has proven that against good teams, he's nigh on perfect - brilliant at pulling players out of position to facilitate runs from the other attackers, brilliant at quick clever interchanges, quite a good finisher in his own right. But can be ineffectual when there's just no space against opposition happy to sit back.

Someone like Lacazette would be lovely, a quick guy who can get in behind, and get involved in interplay, but is also able to take his chances quickly.

Morata would do both

Variety is the spice of life!
    I agree as long as he doesn't accidentally become plan A (and also the price like you said).
    I think Giroud has been doing this role well for Arsenal when I've seen him go on when they're struggling to break a side down.

brevity wrote: »

Get Dolberg.

RBL wouldn't lose two players to Liverpool this summer! :pac:
    Morata would do both

Milan bound.

Andrej Kramaric is an interesting one - can be played as a no 10, or a false 9 or a wide attacker.

[quote="Harry Palmr;103696121"

Milan boundr.[/quote]

Source?

brevity wrote: »

Get Dolberg.

I'm not sure how much Dolberg offers in the short term though... would like to bring him in for the long term, but I wouldn't see him getting into the first team barring injuries.

I'm not sure how much Dolberg offers in the short term though... would like to bring him in for the long term, but I wouldn't see him getting into the first team barring injuries.

Yea I suppose. He's very young at the end of the day.

Sturridge, Origi and Ings are Liverpool's strikers at the moment. 1 has had two nasty injuries and hasnt played much, Origi is good but not starting 11 material and Sturridge is excellent but...well, we all know his story.

I think it would be a mistake not to sign a dedicated forward.

• Advertisement

Source?

The rumours are that his girlfriend or her family is from Milan and he's trying to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

RBL wouldn't lose two players to Liverpool this summer! :pac:

Dolberg plays for Ajax. Are you thinking of Forsberg by mistake?

I'm a pig believer in how one man can change a team. If we did sign a top striker like Sanchez or lacazette we could win the league, even with no other signings.Would hope Lovern and Matip can get more games together though, they can build something together that will last.

I'm a pig believer in how one man can change a team. If we did sign a top striker like Sanchez or lacazette we could win the league, even with no other signings.Would hope Lovern and Matip can get more games together though, they can build something together that will last.

You're bacon a lot of sense here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

It's the puns that have kept me popping in the last while cos their decidedly better than the transfer talk.
    Juve interested in Emre Can supposedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

ElTel wrote: »
    It's the puns that have kept me popping in the last while cos their decidedly better than the transfer talk.
    Juve interested in Emre Can supposedly.

See that, I hope our future captain is happy where he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Happy 125th birthday everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

i knew that. yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sword1 wrote:
    See that, I hope our future captain is happy where he is.

Likely on the bench next season in Turin or Liverpool? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not for Harry, he's turning 140.

I am Adam, Prince of Eternia and defender of the secrets of Castle Greyskull. Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic sword and said... By the power of Greyskull! I have the Power! Cringer became the Mighty Battle Cat, and I became He-Man the most powerful man in the universe.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Likely on the bench next season in Turin or Liverpool? :p

I think he would get plenty playing time in Liverpool,henderson future is uncertain with injury. He is only 23 I think, it's a pity his contract is running out and hopefully he will sign the new one.

Rafinha is being touted as a possibility

Article putting the link in context here http://sportwitness.co.uk/e30m-liverpool-asked-signing-la-liga-ace-good-chance-klopp-deal/

Rafinha is being touted as a possibility

Article putting the link in context here http://sportwitness.co.uk/e30m-liverpool-asked-signing-la-liga-ace-good-chance-klopp-deal/

Doesn't seem to be the same since injury in 2015 but he's on lowish wages and might be worth a gamble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Juve sniffing around can is no surprise, they are amazing at getting these kind of deals done. Getting cans contract sorted is a big part of our summer dealings also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If we don't pay the big wages we won't get the top targets that other clubs agree a fee for,have we ever paid a player 175k+ pounds? Pw .. our rivals do,and there ahead of us constantly,it's not a coincidence,pay the big bucks for 2 or 3 top level signings,or the others will,and we won't ever be a top level club again on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

sword1 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be the same since injury in 2015 but he's on lowish wages and might be worth a gamble

Seems a waste of time given Liverpool are well covered for similar type of players. They need the world class striker who can score 20-25 goals a season, the difference that would make to the current side would be massive

If we don't pay the big wages we won't get the top targets that other clubs agree a fee for,have we ever paid a player 175k+ pounds? Pw .. our rivals do,and there ahead of us constantly,it's not a coincidence,pay the big bucks for 2 or 3 top level signings,or the others will,and we won't ever be a top level club again on a consistent basis.

Gerrard, Luis were and Coutinho now is being paid over £200k

Spurs don't & Arsenal don't pay those kind wages either.

The only teams that pay those wages regularly are Chelsea, City & utd two of them are funded by sugar daddies and one is the richest club in the world.

We are a club coming back from the brink of administration 7 years ago and with one failed season in the Champions League in that time we need to slowly rebuild the club so that never happens again.

City and Chelsea have billionaire owners who are happy to lose a fortune for the prestige of winning competition 's. Spending 50 million on a player is like normal people buying a box of Lego to entertain them. Man utd are the biggest earning club in the world. I am all for the club to cough up big money and wages on a star /Suarez who will win games for you. But paying over the top for players who may be good or may be squad players is not the way for success on our budget. The club is in a much better place financially than previously with a new stand and the possibility of another that will longterm increase our earnings and get us closer to those clubs financially.

EDIT
    Agent c said it better and beat me to it

It's a balancing act. Paying Van 200k a week is fine if we remove players like Moreno, Wisdom and Klavan and free up 120,000 of wages.
    Trent can replace, Moreno, and Gomez Klanvan.
    Have to add some youth to squad and give them a chance while adding first choice players to play.

It's a balancing act. Paying Van 200k a week is fine if we remove players like Moreno, Wisdom and Klavan and free up 120,000 of wages.
    Trent can replace, Moreno, and Gomez Klanvan.
    Have to add some youth to squad and give them a chance while adding first choice players to play.

Then our squad is smaller and we surely won't be able to compete.

Who replaces the TAA and Gomez on the bench if the get injured... 15 year olds?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement