Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don't think we'll regret missing out on Van Dijk, especially not for that money. I'd really hope we put the money to use on Laporte or Tah instead which to me are better defenders but I won't hold my breath. The value is outside of the PL, and VVD is a gamble as we've not seen much of him when he doesn't have two extremely defensive midfielders protecting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

He's a fantastic defender though to be honest. Just me but I'll be disappointed to see him go to City and think he'll do well there.

Well if we missed out there's two silver linings
    1) we missed out, £50m was lunacy IMO. Not to mind what city are rumoured to be paying
    2) FSG we now know will most likely splash the cash on klopps fancies

I just hope klopp didn't reckon virgil was the fix for our defence... as that ship seems to have sailed.

Augeo wrote: »
    Well if we missed out there's two silver linings
    1) we missed out, £50m was lunacy IMO. Not to mind what city are rumoured to be paying
    2) FSG we now know will most likely splash the cash on klopps fancies

I just hope klopp didn't reckon virgil was the fix for our defence... as that ship seems to have sailed.

Quick question, do you think Lovren is good enough to be a first choice CB?
    And if not, aside from Van D who do you see us getting who could be our first choice CB with Matip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah disappointing not to get him but at the same time it's a slight sigh of relief seeing those prices. This will be the 4th 28m+ CB that City have bought since August 2014, madness.

Quick question, do you think Lovren is good enough to be a first choice CB?
    And if not, aside from Van D who do you see us getting who could be our first choice CB with Matip?

I don't think lovren is good enough, he's 70/80% there though IMO and if we had a DM in front of him and didn't play a high line with CBs attacking at times too lovren would be better.

Without Mane for the last portion of the PL we conceded little enough and kept a decent amount of clean sheets. Lovren made a mistake or three no doubt but I don't think having milner at LB h would help any CB.

I think klopp thinks a lot of lovren too to be fair and I don't think van dik would be all conquering he way we play.

I think Gibson wouldn't be bad at the rumoured £25m boro want for him. He's robust (plays plenty games a season), not priced at a loony amount, 24 & English, won't want mental wages and can be sold in a couple of years if not good enough without losing much you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Lots of better, or at least comparable, options out there for cheaper in my opinion.

Lots of better, or at least comparable, options out there for cheaper in my opinion.

Name 5 of the lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Colemania wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/871118757623726081

How reliable is Neil Moxley of the Mirror?

*insert obligatory 'didn't want him anyway joke here'*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

At 50M and 180K it was mega money as it was, doable but absolutely the top end for us. At 60M and 200K though its just way too much. I think the club should be doing all it can to get Klopps targets but that money is just too much.

• Advertisement

I don't think lovren is good enough, he's 70/80% there though IMO and if we had a DM in front of him and didn't play a high line with CBs attacking at times too lovren would be better.

Without Mane for the last portion of the PL we conceded little enough and kept a decent amount of clean sheets. Lovren made a mistake or three no doubt but I don't think having milner at LB h would help any CB.

I think klopp thinks a lot of lovren too to be fair and I don't think van dik would be all conquering he way we play.

I think Gibson wouldn't be bad at the rumoured £25m boro want for him. He's robust (plays plenty games a season), not priced at a loony amount, 24 & English, won't want mental wages and can be sold in a couple of years if not good enough without losing much you'd imagine.

Fair play but personally I just dont see too many CB's out there on the same level of VD who are remotely attainable. In fact the closest I can see is the one we are selling.
    Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm over-rating Van Dijk.
    But Gibson and most others available arent quite at the same level imo.

If the club pull off another Matip then fantastic but it's not going to be easy to find a better defender than VD going this summer and thats why its a blow and why City paid so much.
    He'll do great there imo.
    It's a pity but c'est la vie I suppose.

I just dont see too many CB's out there on the same level of VD who are remotely attainable

We were willing to offer 50M and 150K for a CB. You'd have to imagine there would be a number of CB's in and around VVD's level for that price. If we cant find one our scouts aren't doing their job.

Name 5 of the lots.

De Vrij
    Laporte
    Manolas

Romagnoli
    Tah
    Sule
    Rugani

i think could pick one from the first group and one from the second group for £60m and 200k per week.

NukaCola wrote: »
    We were willing to offer 50M and 150K for a CB. You'd have to imagine there would be a number of CB's in and around VVD's level for that price. If we cant find one our scouts aren't doing their job.

Yeah I've no problem with the package we offered, it's not a case of blaming the owners or anything.
    As for there being "a number of other available CB's" at the same level as him for similar price well let's hope you're right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

First of many transfer dissapointments i reckon. Keita will probaly go the same way and we will probaly end up with an above average cb like gibson or keane

Colemania wrote: »
    How reliable is Neil Moxley of the Mirror?

Not reliable even in the slightest according to the lads on reddit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm sure there are a good number of CBs out there that fit into that bracket. But we would be looking at the younger ones that would, hopefully, develop into that level of defender, who would be available, wouldn't have visa or settling into the British/footballing culture problems and would still be good enough to challenge Matip/Lovren in the short term.

Onto the next on the list I suppose.

If the club pull off another Matip then fantastic

on the back of this, I had a look at defenders out of contract; what the hell happened to Martin Caceres? He's still only 30...

Leaking transfer targets to the likes of Pearce was a silly move to begin with......already looks like we've missed two of our top targets already and its only the 4th of June.

• Advertisement

I'm sure there are a good number of CBs out there that fit into that bracket. But we would be looking at the younger ones that would, hopefully, develop into that level of defender, who would be available, wouldn't have visa or settling into the British/footballing culture problems and would still be good enough to challenge Matip/Lovren in the short term.

If Lovren is a starter next season I'd be very worried. I know he has improved, but he's bang average and still prone to switching off at important times.

on the back of this, I had a look at defenders out of contract; what the hell happened to Martin Caceres? He's still only 30...
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/16/martin-caceres-southampton-barcelona-juventus

Apparently, he is in talks with Celtic or linked at least.

De Vrij
    Laporte
    Manolas

Romagnoli
    Tah
    Sule
    Rugani

i think could pick one from the first group and one from the second group for £60m and 200k per week.

To be an option they need to be open to moving though :)
    I thought you meant for Gibson 25m too and not Van Dik 60m figure as you posted immediately after I mentioned Gibson :)

To be an option they need to be open to moving though :)
    I thought you meant for Gibson 25m too and not Van Dik 60m figure as you posted immediately after I mentioned Gibson :)

Sorry, i was talking about VVD not Gibson!

very true, rumour is De Vrij and Tah are open to moving to a CL team.

This summer is so important we just have to bring in quality and improve the team. Last time we got champions league fsg made a complete ****ing mess of it. Hopefully they learn their mistakes and pay for quality over quantity or we will be back to square one

Why do we go looking for younger potential type ones after missing out on van dik for 50m? There's not much potential left in Virgil IMO
    Leaking transfer targets to the likes of Pearce was a silly move to begin with......already looks like we've missed two of our top targets already and its only the 4th of June.

I'd wonder were they genuine targets at all. If they were and they were large part of the "work done" klopp made reference to we are off to a very bad start*

*Now I honestly don't think van dik would make us but I can see him do well at city and than people rue us not getting him. Personally I think if we land a really decent CM along with a really decent forward (2 starters essentially) & a credible LB and CB we will have done all we can do in one window if no one of note leaves.

If can, Lucas or Sturridge do leave they need to be replaced too of course aside from the 4 newbies I mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Unless it was all a smoke screen!
    *wiggles handles mysteriously*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Vvd was probably seen as a target months ago. It was probably thought he would be 30/40 million and 100/120 k a week. His price has been going up and up as the hype and the amount of clubs interested has gone up. You have to know when to walk away. The way it has ended is good for us. City are out of the competition for any viable cb target hopefully. It's a bit like selling sterling. It felt like a loss at the time but long term a good decision.

All this van dijk to city talk seems to have come from one article by the sunday world who are spoofers. Everyone seems to be taken it as gospel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

ricero wrote: »
    All this van dijk to city talk seems to have come from one article by the sunday world who are spoofers. Everyone seems to be taken it as gospel

Hot off the press...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-virgil-van-dijk-13135198

sword1 wrote: »
    Vvd was probably seen as a target months ago. It was probably thought he would be 30/40 million and 100/120 k a week. His price has been going up and up as the hype and the amount of clubs interested has gone up. You have to know when to walk away. The way it has ended is good for us. City are out of the competition for any viable cb target hopefully. It's a bit like selling sterling. It felt like a loss at the time but long term a good decision.
    Too much positivity for this thread, I think. Everything's gone to sh!te and nothing will ever be good again seems to be the default position on here atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I still think Sahko could do a job for us but I suppose that ship has sailed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I doubt it makes a lick of difference, tbh. At that money, for starters, but also VVD agent is likely trying to get the best deal for his client. That would mean alerting the likes of Chelsea to the interest of other clubs, such as ourselves.

I doubt there's a lot done in absolute secrecy just between two teams, without the selling team or the agent informing other potential suitors etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I still think Sahko could do a job for us but I suppose that ship has sailed

It's a damn shame too. Still think himself and Matip would have been imperious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He must be some sh1thead, that lad.

Knex. wrote: »
    I doubt it makes a lick of difference, tbh. At that money, for starters, but also VVD agent is likely trying to get the best deal for his client. That would mean alerting the likes of Chelsea to the interest of other clubs, such as ourselves.

I doubt there's a lot done in absolute secrecy just between two teams, without the selling team or the agent informing other potential suitors etc.

I meant in terms of the fanbase. Missing out on what was 2 of 4/5 top targets can annoy even the most level headed supporter.

For example if nothing was leaked I can say Sessegnon didnt want to leave London and City wanted VVD so spent big, thats understandable, nothing to be let down by there really......but I think its an extra kick in the nads because we all know Klopp identified these two as 2 out of 5 "top targets" to bring us forward. Technically they are the same thing but knowing they are top targets grates a little bit more. I dunno maybe its just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I meant in terms of the fanbase. Missing out on what was 2 of 4/5 top targets can annoy even the most level headed supporter.

For example if nothing was leaked I can say Sessegnon didnt want to leave London and City wanted VVD so spent big, thats understandable, nothing to be let down by there really......but I think its an extra kick in the nads because we all know Klopp identified these two as 2 out of 5 "top targets" to bring us forward. Technically they are the same thing but knowing they are top targets grates a little bit more. I dunno maybe its just me.

Everyone's different. I'd consider myself reasonably level headed and if we have missed out on supposed targets, it isn't as if there aren't other options.
    In this silliest of all silly seasons, I take everything everyone says with a massive pinch of salt. I think much of the transfer window is cloak and dagger stuff - clubs/agents/players even leaking reports of links to other clubs and always with an ulterior motive.
    I think people are often - consciously or subconsciously - looking for a reason to be annoyed when it comes to following a team. For example, if, let's say, we don't sign Keita, I can imagine people having a mini-meltdown. We've convinced ourselves he's a good fit and most think it's likely that he'll sign but this is entirely speculation based.
    What exacerbates all of this is when rivals - City at the moment - recruit two or three players early and supporters worry that there's a dwindling pool of players who'll improve us available. Klopp's done his homework - has suggested as much - and I'm confident we'll sign the players we need to improve us.
    TL;DR - chill the fuck out everyone. It's early June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Grayditch wrote: »
    He must be some sh1thead, that lad.

Must be... cos technically he is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Van Dijk is another Stones, not worth the money paid.
    Matip better than both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Must be... cos technically he is brilliant

I wish it could have worked out better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

City don't make themselves strong, they makes others weak. They have used this tactic for years now. They buy Arsenals top players and throw them into reserves and then move them abroad. They are a bit of a joke.
    They will more than likely buy Sanchez too. That will be 6 of Arsenals best players in last few season they have bought. It works though, Arsenal have not competed in League because of it, job done by City.
    They done it with Sterling too .

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    TL;DR - chill the fuck out everyone. It's early June.

In fairness I think on here the majority are calm enough, its disappointing to miss targets but I get the impression everyone is ok with whoever Klopp wants to bring in. As I said, I'm happy to let Klopp bring in whoever he wants and have complete confidence in him.

I just wonder why they would leak a top target list to the fans with Klopp also saying his targets are identified and work is "done" a few weeks ago. It seemed unnecessary and if we do miss another target some people will lose their minds as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

In fairness I think on here the majority are calm enough, its disappointing to miss targets but I get the impression everyone is ok with whoever Klopp wants to bring in. As I said, I'm happy to let Klopp bring in whoever he wants and have complete confidence in him.

I just wonder why they would leak a top target list to the fans with Klopp also saying his targets are identified and work is "done" a few weeks ago. It seemed unnecessary and if we do miss another target some people will lose their minds as a result.

I think people are ok with missing out on Sessegnon (young/wanted to stay in London/Spurs like stealing our targets) and VVD (once the wealthy clubs become involved we have no hope) and so people are fairly sanguine about the transfer window as it stands. I do think though that if Keita was signed by someone other than us, all of a sudden we'd quickly see folk posting more anti-FSG nonsense and moaning about Ian Ayre even though he's long since left the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Echo are reporting that VVK has not been snapped up yet and he remains undecided between Liverpool, City and AN Other - Chelsea presumably.
    Liverpool remain in the hunt to sign Virgil van Dijk – despite claims the Southampton defender has decided his future.

Reports last night stated Manchester City had won the race to sign the in-demand Holland international, beating the Reds and Chelsea to his signature by agreeing a ?60million deal.

However, such suggestions are premature, with the player still at the centre of a three-way battle for his services.

Van Dijk is Liverpool's top target this summer with the club willing to smash their transfer record to sign the 25-year-old as well as make him one of their highest earners

Last night's report claimed van Dijk had agreed a £200,000-a-week five-year deal to play for Pep Guardiola's City, just days after it was rumoured City were prepared to offer £180,000 per week.

Still question marks regarding this transfer (but not as many as in previous posts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Limerick or Clare in the Munster hurling semis today lads I have a liking for Clare myself.

https://twitter.com/Ms3don/status/871279472003219456

Bein sports reporter, who Salah follows, tweeting "Can we say congratulations yet? #EPL"

Echo are reporting that VVK has not been snapped up yet and he remains undecided

It's the hope that kills ya in the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://twitter.com/Ms3don/status/871279472003219456

Bein sports reporter, who Salah follows, tweeting "Can we say congratulations yet? #EPL"

for those using the old skin

Mohamed Alkawaleny‏Verified account
    @Malkawaleny
    Follow
    More
    رسميا #ابن بلادى #محمد صلاح ينضم رسميا لنادى #ليفربول مقابل ٤٠مليون يورو ---الف مبروك يا ابو مكه
    Translated from Arabic by Bing Wrong translation?
    Officially my #ابن #محمد Salah officially joins the #ليفربول Club for 40 million euros --- congratulations Abu Mecca

VvD would've been excellent but I'm not too upset about not getting him, especially at that price, City want him and we just can't compete. I'd be more upset if we lost our main attacking target in the same manner. I think there's less of a gap between good and great defenders than there is between good and great attackers. I'd be more worried if we started missing out on the attackers we wanted, I'm sure there are other CBs we can get that will be nearly as good, if not as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Didn't the club or Klopp say that the the summer business was virtually completely already at the end of the season too?

• Advertisement

for those using the old skin

Mohamed Alkawaleny‏Verified account
    @Malkawaleny
    Follow
    More
    رسميا #ابن بلادى #محمد صلاح ينضم رسميا لنادى #ليفربول مقابل ٤٠مليون يورو ---الف مبروك يا ابو مكه
    Translated from Arabic by Bing Wrong translation?
    Officially my #ابن #محمد Salah officially joins the #ليفربول Club for 40 million euros --- congratulations Abu Mecca
    Bloody hell!

When ليفربول beat you to a major signing, you're really in trouble...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement