Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Didn't the club or Klopp say that the the summer business was virtually completely already at the end of the season too?

Klopp said something like that but I think it was a case of his not-perfect English. Pretty sure what he was saying is that they know they want and have their targets organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Klopp said something like that but I think it was a case of his not-perfect English. Pretty sure what he was saying is that they know they want and have their targets organised.

Yeah spot on. He was trying to say they'd completed all the scouting work and had the list of who to go after.
    He just didnt quite word it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What we need is to improve our ball retention.

mtu387l82r.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I still think Sahko could do a job for us but I suppose that ship has sailed

Imo, you would think Southampton would be happy with Sakho plus money. Sakho too, since they're a better side than Palace.

City don't make themselves strong, they makes others weak. They have used this tactic for years now. They buy Arsenals top players and throw them into reserves and then move them abroad. They are a bit of a joke.
    They will more than likely buy Sanchez too. That will be 6 of Arsenals best players in last few season they have bought. It works though, Arsenal have not competed in League because of it, job done by City.
    They done it with Sterling too .
    Hope they don't buy Pogba :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

eyerer wrote: »
    Imo, you would think Southampton would be happy with Sakho plus money. Sakho too, since they're a better side than Palace.
    Assuming we're looking for 30m for Sakho, they're unlikely to spend that on a player even in an exchange deal. Based on their past record in plucking gems out of nowhere, they probably have a replacement lined up for 10m or so and just waiting for the sale of VvD to be completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I say match Alderweireld's buyout clause at Spurs which by all accounts is very low and offer him VVD's wages which would be about three times what he's on at Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Soton are probably looking at some kid in Austria or Scotland.

Meanwhile Klopp favourite Max Meyer has refused new deal at Schalke 04, he is a free agent in 12 months so the club will surely look to sell.

A few of beINSPORTS reporters are now saying the Salah transfer is a done deal at €40m.

Also the Express (isn't there a connected journo there?) say we will be meeting with Lacazette's agent early next week.

It must be true
    indykaila News‏ @indykaila 49m49 minutes ago
    Exclusive: Mohammed salah transfer fee has been agreed with @LFC & @Roma for 40 million euros... #LFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

How do people feel about Salah? He's done very well by all accounts, looks a quality player. Is he a starter though?

I'm happy if we've got him. His record is very good and he's pacy so hopefully like another Mane. Like people said before very useful against 10 man defences like Utd. Options and squad depth, which are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Haven't seen much of him but if Klopp wants him that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »
    How do people feel about Salah? He's done very well by all accounts, looks a quality player. Is he a starter though?

There's two issues with our attack - patchy at killing off games if teams don't roll over and breaking down stubborn defences more consistently.

Both will go someway to circumventing our defensive problems.

Dramatic improvement to our flaccid counter-attack.

That alone could be huge.

Also, 19 goals and 12 assists is better than anyone at the club last year.

He's not coming to make up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

eyerer wrote: »
    I'm happy if we've got him. His record is very good and he's pacy so hopefully like another Mane. Like people said before very useful against 10 man defences like Utd. Options and squad depth, which are needed.

Ive liked this purely for the "10 man defences" bit:) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Haven't see Salah since his Chelsea days but if he has as much pace as he did then, he'll do.

Salah is a definite starter, himself and Mane will take a wing each. Coutinho central with those two making runs in behind will have us seeing a lot more of Phil's through balls.

NukaCola wrote: »

Can't see him putting coutinho on the bench... if salah starts maybe coutinho takes lallana midfield spot. But lallanha has done very well there.

Many games though so not bothered really :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Augeo wrote: »
    Can't see him putting coutinho on the bench... if salah starts maybe coutinho takes lallana midfield spot. But lallanha has done very well there.

Many games though so not bothered really :)

Different starters and bench options will suit different opponents.

I wouldn't change the front 6 from this season for the games against the top 6. They went about as well as you could hope.

However, I don't think Firmino and Lallana are as effective against packed defences.

Salah off the bench if we take the lead at home will be lethal as well.

Our level of quality isn't right yet, but having different options and being able to change a game from the bench is also hugely important. Depth is another thing but that's a given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was at the Roma vs juventus game a couple of weeks back. the worst stadium to watch a match by the way.
    Salah was outstanding. Every bit as good as mane, pacey, very direct and a constant threat.

Delighted if we get this over the line. Genuine starting quality and the calibre of player we should be signing with champions league football to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mane,Salah , lacezette ... Would be droooool

Mane,Salah , lacezette ... Would be droooool

I hope if we get salah done that a striker will be signed too. Mane & salah would allow for some 4 4 2 against the dogged defences of the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Haven't see Salah since his Chelsea days but if he has as much pace as he did then, he'll do.

He's still rapid. Will have plenty of pace on the wings with him and Mane.

Limerick or Clare in the Munster hurling semis today lads I have a liking for Clare myself.

Clare won :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Strange that people ask if Salah is a starter.

Do people think Liverpool would spend £35-40m on a player and put him on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

murpho999 wrote: »

Do people think Liverpool would spend £35-40m on a player and put him on the bench?

Is he signed or or they looking at him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

haha you could see Neville checking to see who was coming and then thinking ****e I better get rid of this fast :D

Who goes to the bench ?

• Advertisement

Hope Tottenham don't become interested in Salah anyways

Salah a done deal then?

Biggest concern would be will his performances in the retirement home league transfer over to the PL.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Biggest concern would be will his performances in the retirement home league transfer over to the PL.

Didn't realise he was at Utd?!

Firmino cost £30m
    Lallana cost £25m
    Mane cost £30m
    Coutinho cost £8m
    Salah cost £35m?
    Wijnaldum cost £23m
    Henderson cost £16m
    Can cost £9m
    New midfielder cost £50m?

So Coutinho cost the least and is our best player but by your logic he probably wouldn't even make the bench.

Klopp will pick the team he thinks will win the match no what price the player cost.

Who goes to the bench ?

Depends on the formation and game/competition I imagine.

Salah would be a man for the CL I think - there tends to be space as teams actually try to play to win as a rule.

Front five

---Lallana---Coutinho
    Salah---Firmino---Mane

swap Lallana for Wijnaldum as required

• Advertisement

Salah would be a man for the CL I think - there tends to be space as teams actually try to play to win as a rule.

Front five

---Lallana---Coutinho
    Salah---Firmino---Mane

That's what I'm thinking, on paper it looks lightweight but Lallana is more than capable of holding his own as a CM, with Can/Henderson/Someone new behind them I think that'll be our best line up.

Front five

---Lallana---Coutinho
    Salah---Firmino---Mane

Looks like a DM is a must so :)

Whats strange about it? I dont think price makes anyone an automatic starter. Fees are stupid atm.

If he comes in then Coutinho doesn't start up top, which probably means Coutinho goes deeper, which puts Lallanas place under threat. Both were instrumental in how we play. You cant really have Lallana and Coutinho in a Midfield 3, well you can but its super offensive.

Its a valid question IMO.

Looks like a DM is a must so :)

Kante would struggle to cover the holes that front 5 will leave behind them! :pac:

All our front 5 were out for significant periods I this season I think. No shortage of playing time especially with European games.

• Advertisement

Front five

---Lallana---Coutinho
    Salah---Firmino---Mane

Poor Firmino will be bollixed next season trying to keep up with the two lads on a counter!

I don't think that line up is fundamentally more expansive than the

Wiji
    Lallana
    Mane---Firmino--Coutinho

we saw last season for a few months when the team was flying, its just got more pace.
    Kaveh Solhekol ✔ @SkyKaveh
    Sky in Italy: Roma close to agreeing deal to sell Mohamed Salah to Liverpool
    5:55 PM - 4 Jun 2017
    580 580 Retweets 614 614 likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What happened this guy at Chelsea?
    He was so bad they could not even field him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Firmino cost £30m
    Lallana cost £25m
    Mane cost £30m
    Coutinho cost £8m
    Salah cost £35m?
    Wijnaldum cost £23m
    Henderson cost £16m
    Can cost £9m
    New midfielder cost £50m?

So Coutinho cost the least and is our best player but by your logic he probably wouldn't even make the bench.

Klopp will pick the team he thinks will win the match no what price the player cost.

Where did I say that Coutinho should be benched?

He was a signing where the scouts came up trumps, he has developed to be come a very important player for us and has a huge value now.

However, if we're buying a player for £35-40m which will be the most expensive signing in the club's history, then I believe it to be a major signing and the expectation is he'll be in the normal starting eleven.

That said, I think next season will see lots of change. Different formations and systems for different games.
    That's why we struggled last season when struggling against lesser teams, not enough flexibility in the squad to adapt to how teams played against us and I think that will change next season so that players will be rotated more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

ricero wrote: »
    This summer is so important we just have to bring in quality and improve the team. Last time we got champions league fsg made a complete ****ing mess of it. Hopefully they learn their mistakes and pay for quality over quantity or we will be back to square one

Pretty sure every post you make in this thread is disparaging FSG in some way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

They never had ant intention of playing him.

Jose promised him the world..Brendan didn't.

This transfer always felt to me was Jose just flexing his muscle on Brendan to show him he was still the boss.
    "Negotiations took a long time, because Basel rejected more than one offer. They felt the transfer fee was not that high. I was waiting for Liverpool [to agree terms with Basel] because I really like Liverpool. I was eager to join them.

"But then I received a phone call from Mourinho and that changed everything. He explained the situation to me and told me that he needed me at Chelsea. That was one of the main reasons why I joined Chelsea.

"Mourinho told me that he thought I was a good player and that he wanted me to pick Chelsea."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2016/04/03/21988152/salah-i-rejected-liverpool-for-mourinho

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Pretty sure every post you make in this thread is disparaging FSG in some way or another.

Rumours you're correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Where does he play. We have signed a player no one else wanted from a club happy to sell him. It's hardly inspiring.
    He's for bench right? In case Mane gets injured

Where does he play. We have signed a player no one else wanted from a club happy to sell him. It's hardly inspiring.
    He's for bench right? In case Mane gets injured

Yep Mane, the last player no one else wanted from a club happy to sell him.

Try harder Toby.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement