Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Turtyturd wrote: »
    From the Chelsea or City game?

Possibly also, same celebration each time and the right end. Hard to say with the fans in black and white.

Edit: Actually, seems to be Chelsea looking at it again at the scarf in the bottom left of the picture which looks like a lion on the crest I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

7 of them crying in the ref's face. Between that and Coquelin's assault it's great to see them playing the game the 'right way'.

Bit of an overstatement there. Might be 7 Arsenal jerseys in shot but looks like Koscheilny went over to take some away and not all of them got up to the referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Charlie19 wrote: »
    eyerer wrote: »
    Yeah maybe the reason for no league title in 08/09 was the strength in depth, how many games did N'Gog play that year?

And even when Torres was up top, sometimes a second quality forward would have helped.

If only we had a proven goal scorer that like doing cartwheels.
    Oh yeah that was a bad situation. Guess Rafa just didn't like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Keane was finished at Liverpool when he tried the showboat goal and missed from that moment Rafa was done with him.

Keane was finished at Liverpool when he tried the showboat goal and missed from that moment Rafa was done with him.

Against Atletico away at 1-0 up and we ended up drawing 1-1. I was pretty done with him at that point myself, still makes my blood boil thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I was thinking of that during my last post, he was very foolish there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Thought Keane got a raw deal myself...........

Anyway.....at this point last season we were on 41 points and in 8th position. Solid progress IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Bull****. In normal circumstances you'd have to kick a manager in the balls to get the boot after only 3 months.

He was pushed out as part of Bentiez' political bull**** with the yanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

5starpool wrote: »
    Good point. Probably a doctored image, not sure 100% why it'd be done like that though.
    From the Chelsea or City game?
    5starpool wrote: »
    Possibly also, same celebration each time and the right end. Hard to say with the fans in black and white.

Edit: Actually, seems to be Chelsea looking at it again at the scarf in the bottom left of the picture which looks like a lion on the crest I think.

Reverse image search it is from Chelsea game here is the colour pic

liverpool-chelsea-310117w.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Two big retrospective bans in store for two high profile Premier League players after this weekend's shocking scenes I reckon. There was wrong on both sides, to be fair, but I hope the FA throw the book at Kane and Alli.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Two big retrospective bans in store for two high profile Premier League players after this weekend's shocking scenes I reckon. There was wrong on both sides, to be fair, but I hope the FA throw the book at Kane and Alli.

10 game ban for that handshake alone.

Shout out to 5star, some of my posts probably came across scorpy in the utd match thread
    Thread has since closed
    Still hold those opinions but again soz if came across thick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I'd take Sanchez in a heartbeat. He is a world class player playing in a team that has the softest of underbellies. He has the desire, similar to what Suarez had for us. A few at that club are frustrated i would say (see Oxlade Chamberlain meltdown on pitch for example).

Not a hope in hell our club would spend the money on him though. I'd still make the 40m +£1 offer though for the giggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sanchez wouldn't come here now any more than in 2014, his wife likes the London life so I'm sure she'll love it in Paris.

Aquero is almost certainly off and he already understands the drizzle and gales.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Shout out to 5star, some of my posts probably came across scorpy in the utd match thread
    Thread has since closed
    Still hold those opinions but again soz if came across thick

No problemo, we'll find out the outcome in a couple of days. Not sure why the thread was closed as it wasn't abusive from either side, but hey ho, boards.

Sanchez wouldn't come here now any more than in 2014, his wife likes the London life so I'm sure she'll love it in Paris.

Aquero is almost certainly off and he already understands the drizzle and gales.

Even if we get CL Sanchez wouldn't come to Liverpool. PSG/Juve are the most likely destinations probably, perhaps Atletico if they get CL and can rustle up the wages from some dodgy South American dual ownership scheme that they seem to rely on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We need a striker, but he will be young and unproven in league. I just hope he has attributes that fit us. Klopp can improve a player, look at Lallana.
    Are there any 20-25 year old strikers out there who are expected to become more than what they currently are.
    Yes another Suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

How people still expect us to sign a proven goalscorer for 50 odd million still amazes me. We will do what we normally do under the banner of what FSG have set out for us to do - we will try to unearth a future star before people realise he is a star.

Always remember Wenger saying we have money, money is no problem we can sign whomever we want. 20 years on and he's signed Sanchez and Ozil ... Liverpool are not in the same bracket for wages as the other top PL sides. Simple as that. Sure we could blast 50mill on a player but we'll not match what City/United/Chelsea do on wages ... unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

How people still expect us to sign a proven goalscorer for 50 odd million still amazes me. We will do what we normally do under the banner of what FSG have set out for us to do - we will try to unearth a future star before people realise he is a star.

Always remember Wenger saying we have money, money is no problem we can sign whomever we want. 20 years on and he's signed Sanchez and Ozil ... Liverpool are not in the same bracket for wages as the other top PL sides. Simple as that. Sure we could blast 50mill on a player but we'll not match what City/United/Chelsea do on wages ... unfortunately.

Xhaka and mustafi for 30million plus and Perez

Arsenal spent 70killion on the summer on the 3 key areas...central defence, central midfield and striker
    ..they still aren't great tho so money only does certain things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Xhaka and mustafi for 30million plus.

Yeah unfortunately PL prices are inflated by 50% ... 30mill is not alot these days. Hard to believe you can spend such money to buy average players. Maybe he shouldn't be trusted with the decisions :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We won't get Sanchez, we should be looking at whoever he dislodges. Whatever big club he goes to there'll be a player out of a starting position because of him and that's the player we go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Always remember Wenger saying we have money, money is no problem we can sign whomever we want. 20 years on and he's signed Sanchez and Ozil ...
    Wenger was merely being the boards mouth piece. While the new stadium was being developed the manager didn't have the money to invest in the team. Whenever the opportunity to cash in on a player came along the board grabbed it - between 1996 and 2013, Arsenal had a net spend of less than £30M.

They have been playing catch up since then, but the money they have spent is still dwarfed by that spent by Chelsea, Man City & Man Utd. Given the financial constraints, what Wenger has achieved with the club is remarkable.

We won't get Sanchez, we should be looking at whoever he dislodges. Whatever big club he goes to there'll be a player out of a starting position because of him and that's the player we go for.

Whoever he dislodges is likely to be mid to late 20s, looking for huge wages & with a pricetag that won't be insignificant..... future value minimal. Not our type of signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sakho with the most Sakho bit of play ever :pac:

https://streamable.com/kdvv0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

daithijjj wrote: »

Fenway remain convinced of their strategy which involves overpaying for young players before anyone else supposedly notices them and Klopp should be aware that while two other managers have been and gone, the strategy remains and so does Michael Edwards, who was officially appointed as the club’s sporting director in November when it seemed Liverpool would be in a title race.

So in other words Hughes would not have penned this article back then but feels he can now, of course he might have been wiser to wait until May.

In other words clickbait.

Overpaying for young players before anyone notices them? Has that been our strategy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Not expecting too many articles or experts this week saying klopps high energy game was always going to cost them as the team will burn out. The problem is an inability to deal with teams that play the ball long away from home. Stoke, wba , Watford, west ham away from home are the crucial games in the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The good news is we've Burnley next, who have a terrible away record.

So they'll ship 6 past us....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I told everyone a number of weeks ago that Liverpool would finish in the top 4 and a number of posters scoffed at me. Where are those posters now? I think Liverpool will finish a comfortable third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Vanolder wrote: »
    I told everyone a number of weeks ago that Liverpool would finish in the top 4 and a number of posters scoffed at me. Where are those posters now? I think Liverpool will finish a comfortable third.

Still not convinced yet. Need to go on a bit of an unbeaten run i feel and il be confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It hurts to be right ... I said back in early Jan that Liverpool needed to go on a ten game winning spree to stand any chance of making top 4 and how I was ridiculed ... posters scoffed at the thoughts of not finishing top4

Maybe posters are scoffing at your indecisiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not if we keep losing every 2nd game. Need to go on a winning run of 4 or 5 games to get right back in there but their should be no excuses, 11 games to go, everyone should be fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Grayditch wrote: »

I'm assuming that vanholder is some sort of art installation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Liverpool's last 8 league results have been

Win
    Loss
    Win
    Loss
    Draw
    Loss
    Draw
    Draw

How can you make a serious prediction of comfortable third spot based on previous results? Predicting comfortable third when they're only 2 points ahead of fifth and Arsenal have a game in hand and 3 points behind Spurs who also have a game in hand is just nonsense imo.

• Advertisement

Thats the joke I'm guessing........although its getting harder to be sure these days :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If he's doing the thing people do on this thread sometimes, but it's a bad attempt.

But he's clearly owed an apology, so on behalf of everyone on the thread...

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

SteM wrote: »
    Liverpool's last 8 league results have been

Win
    Loss
    Win
    Loss
    Draw
    Loss
    Draw
    Draw

How can you make a serious prediction of comfortable third spot based on previous results? Predicting comfortable third when they're only 2 points ahead of fifth and Arsenal have a game in hand and 3 points behind Spurs who also have a game in hand is just nonsense imo.

I'm reading the future, not the past... sometimes the tea leaves can give clouded signals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Knex. wrote: »
    Sakho with the most Sakho bit of play ever :pac:

https://streamable.com/kdvv0

Haha....he actually passed the ball to the ref, realised it was the ref and then cleaned him out :-)

Shame about Sakho really...there's a good player in there somewhere but I think his flaws will always end up dragging him down unfortunately.

With full Captain Hindsight, I was always suspicious why PSG were willing to sell him in the first place

Not expecting too many articles or experts this week saying klopps high energy game was always going to cost them as the team will burn out. The problem is an inability to deal with teams that play the ball long away from home. Stoke, wba , Watford, west ham away from home are the crucial games in the run in.

A combination of both I'd imagine accounts for our Jan & Feb form/results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Cartman78 wrote: »
    With full Captain Hindsight, I was always suspicious why PSG were willing to sell him in the first place

Proved right!

Augeo wrote: »
    A combination of both I'd imagine accounts for our Jan & Feb form/results.

I'm not sure burnout is a big reason, maybe a contributing factor, I'd say the inability to drop out of form players have hurt more as well as not having different options available which is the same problem. Player recruitment has probably cost us the most IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The only way not to lose is to bet on every horse!

It didn't help in January that Coutinho was coming back from injury and it took awhile to get his back to match sharpness.

Firmino hit a big drop in form and his house was burgled and he was caught driving over the limit which I'm guessing affected his performances.

Mane was away at the ACON even coming back early he was more than likely physically and mentally excused especially after missing the penalty that cost his Country.

So when 3 of our front 4 are not there or on form we don't have the fire power to cover up the flaws in the rest of the team and when called upon Sturridge wasn't up to it.

Look our defense and midfield are weak even when on our forward line is on form squad depth needs to be addressed in the summer in a major way.

It didn't help in January that Coutinho was coming back from injury and it took awhile to get his back to match sharpness.

Firmino hit a big drop in form and his house was burgled and he was caught driving over the limit which I'm guessing affected his performances.

Mane was away at the ACON even coming back early he was more than likely physically and mentally excused especially after missing the penalty that cost his Country.

So when 3 of our front 4 are not there or on form we don't have the fire power to cover up the flaws in the rest of the team and when called upon Sturridge wasn't up to it.

Look our defense and midfield are weak even when on our forward line is on form squad depth needs to be addressed in the summer in a major way.

I quite like Hendo/Lallana/Wij as a mid 3.....do you mean weak physically? Or defensively? Or both?

We seriously need a DM, even with half the ability of Kante would do!

NukaCola wrote: »
    I quite like Hendo/Lallana/Wij as a mid 3.....do you mean weak physically? Or defensively? Or both?

We seriously need a DM, even with half the ability of Kante would do!

I like them as players as well but each one of them is an attacking midfielder none of them are defensively minded which in turn leads to the defensive problems and when our fullbacks are ahead of our midfielders 90% of the time our two CB's are left totally exposed.

So we are basically playing with 8 attacking players a goalkeeper and two CB's and the 2 CB's rarely are the same partnership.

So when 3 of our front 4 are not there or on form we don't have the fire power to cover up the flaws in the rest of the team and when called upon Sturridge wasn't up to it.................

Or was not on form like the rest of the forwards for Jan & Feb.

To be fair to Danny, was he ever really called upon over Dec/Jan/Feb? He was available for 9 EPL games over that period but only started 1 in which he scored. He also only had a combined playing time of 164 minutes and scored 2 goals in that period.

He's gone in the summer. Klopp does not rate him but he'll probably do well elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wayne Rooney is a total muppet. Great to see Ibra being charged.

The one man team is about to lose their one man............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Augeo wrote: »
    Or was not on form like the rest of the forwards for Jan & Feb.

The notion that Sturridge is out of form or Klopp doesn't play to a style that suits him for me isn't true. As a staunch defender of him even I have to admit his time his up. He reminds me of Torres, a deadly natural finisher who's biggest weapon was his pace over the first couple of yards to burn a defender. It's gone and he doesn't have any real work rate to justify selection either while not scoring like Firmino.

There isn't any cure to his fitness, Klopp has tried been easy with him and he has still broken down. He can still do a job at a lower level but any club would be foolish to make him their main striker.

It will always be a shame how things turned out because fitness aside he could of been one of our most prolific strikers ever.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement