Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ebbsy wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney is a total muppet. Great to see Ibra being charged.

The one man team is about to lose their one man............

He bailed them out of a good few tight spots.

Be interesting to see if they fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think Hendo is going to be the "6" in the team for the forseable

Lallana & Wijnaldum as the other 2 and that's a nice midfield. The front 3 are picking themselves

We need another orthodox 6 though if Lucas moves on

One of the posters hit the nail on the head about the disastrous start to 2017 with Manae @ ACON, Firmino issues and Coutinhos injury. Normally if one is in bad form we would cope but all 3. Hendo aswell has been hit with intermittent injuries that haven't helped

I think Hendo is going to be the "6" in the team for the forseable

Lallana & Wijnaldum as the other 2 and that's a nice midfield. The front 3 are picking themselves

We need another orthodox 6 though if Lucas moves on

One of the posters hit the nail on the head about the disastrous start to 2017 with Manae @ ACON, Firmino issues and Coutinhos injury. Normally if one is in bad form we would cope but all 3. Hendo aswell has been hit with intermittent injuries that haven't helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Vicxas wrote: »
    He bailed them out of a good few tight spots.

Be interesting to see if they fall off.

Aye. They'll likely go with Rashford up top and Martial out wide. Could be worse for them, tbh.

Wonder will Ibra see a heavier punishment because of the fact that it was an act of revenge. Premeditated, and all that. Or will they be more lenient because what Mings did was so outrageous.

I think Mings should get at least five games for that, tbh. Ibra likely get three.

Knex. wrote: »
    Aye. They'll likely go with Rashford up top and Martial out wide. Could be worse for them, tbh.

Wonder will Ibra see a heavier punishment because of the fact that it was an act of revenge. Premeditated, and all that. Or will they be more lenient because what Mings did was so outrageous.

I think Mings should get at least five games for that, tbh. Ibra likely get three.

According to the rumour mill it'll be 3 for Ibra and 6 for mings.

Anyone know how long Hendo is gonna be out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I like them as players as well but each one of them is an attacking midfielder none of them are defensively minded which in turn leads to the defensive problems and when our fullbacks are ahead of our midfielders 90% of the time our two CB's are left totally exposed.

So we are basically playing with 8 attacking players a goalkeeper and two CB's and the 2 CB's rarely are the same partnership.

Fully agree. I do think Henderson is an all rounder though, I wouldnt class him as an AM, he's more of a 'box to box midfielder'.

15 min segment on Liverpool/Klopp. Interesting enough listen. Despite the video title, its not at all just about Lallana. He gets about 2 mins at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

The only way not to lose is to bet on every horse!

Although generally that is actually a recipe for certain loss. :o

He has to be taking the piss suggesting we will now definitely finish in the top 4. He knows that everyone knows he's a non believer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »

Could he use the Matic defence to have it reduced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mings didn't seem to stand on him on purpose, but he could have been very sneaky about it and covered up his intentions. It looked accidental in real time.

Maybe he could aay he was contaminated by Fellaini. Or... flip for the FA against Fellaini altogether.

I like Mings attitude though, a real fighter. Is he any good ?

U18's beat Man City last Sat at the Academy....first victory over them in a long time. Stevie G & Rob Jones took the team

They must be able to play some players over age in the U18 as Masterson is an U19 (Born 98)

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/255805-match-report-u18s-too-strong-for-man-city-in-academy-win

Apparently all the players were in the dressing room and SG walks in to take the team for the day....imagine the feeling as a 17/18 yr old and your manager is SG....!!!!!

Mings didn't seem to stand on him on purpose, but he could have been very sneaky about it and covered up his intentions. It looked accidental in real time.

100% intentional imo.

Good news story (not really Liverpool related to be fair):
    Francis Koné, the footballer who has now saved the lives of four opponents.
    Sign him up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

mormank wrote: »
    100% intentional imo.

Absolutely. But has Ibra's attempt to stamp on Mings just before he got his head stamped on been mentioned and how he threw himself to the ground because he was afraid he'd been seen trying it? Probably not.

mosstin wrote: »
    Absolutely. But has Ibra's attempt to stamp on Mings just before he got his head stamped on been mentioned and how he threw himself to the ground because he was afraid he'd been seen trying it? Probably not.

Oh the two of them were battling all match. I'm pretty sure Ibra threw Mings to the ground before that aswell. Mings' tackle that took out both Ibra and Rooney was a thing of beauty but a hard tackle in itself. Afterwards neither of them bitched or moaned tbf either which I liked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

mosstin wrote: »

Sure he didn't mean that either and Mings jumped into his elbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Man Utd thread is that way >>>>>>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Indeed, no one wants to read Man Utd parish notices here.

Lets watch the U23 instead - Grujic is back w00t! Great attack in this side - Ojo, Woodburn, Brewster, Wilson.

C6QPSrBWgAA5M5W.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah, this match or MNF..... decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Vanolder wrote: »
    I told everyone a number of weeks ago that Liverpool would finish in the top 4 and a number of posters scoffed at me. Where are those posters now? I think Liverpool will finish a comfortable third.

Honestly can't tell if you are being serious.

mormank wrote: »
    Although generally that is actually a recipe for certain loss....r.

Indeed, overround/bookies margin... 5 to 10% generally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Matip just needs a clone of himself with a left sided peg.

As for win one/lose one, the worst thing possible after Spurs was to end up with a two week gap which meant the hot iron cooled and of course gave Leicester City the chance to cut their loses and get a bounce - Barnsley on the other hand are a week away and they will be exactly as they have been all season.

not sure Harry.. I think we need a bulkier nastier player beside him who can add a few goals when we are slinging in corners..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

2 goals for Brewster for u23s only 16. Could be one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Did matip go off injured at the end of the game Saturday.

mada999 wrote: »
    not sure Harry.. I think we need a bulkier nastier player beside him who can add a few goals when we are slinging in corners..

A Henchoz to Matip's Hyypia? Well yes I can see what you mean, but I'd like a pair of real ball players who are both positionally as sound a Matip certainly is.

U23s HT Reading v Liverpool 1-3

It's a mad as a box of frogs - total we attack/you attack and could easily be about 3-5. Goals from Gomez and a pair from 16 year old Rhian Brewster who as I said yesterday seems to be on a coaching fast track, his great trick is that he doesn't think - he just does, shooting early and often is his trademark. Ojo and Grujic have done well esp the latter when you consider how long he's been out.

Reading's came from the spot thanks to a barnstorming run that wasn't intercepted until far too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

mada999 wrote: »
    Matip just needs a clone of himself with a left sided peg.

As for win one/lose one, the worst thing possible after Spurs was to end up with a two week gap which meant the hot iron cooled and of course gave Leicester City the chance to cut their loses and get a bounce - Barnsley on the other hand are a week away and they will be exactly as they have been all season.

Wouldn't mind adding a player that can deliver corners and take free kicks too

A Henchoz to Matip's Hyypia? Well yes I can see what you mean, but I'd like a pair of real ball players who are both positionally as sound a Matip certainly is.

Sakho?

eyerer wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind adding a player that can deliver corners and take free kicks too

Coutinho should take all the set pieces for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Coutinho should take all the set pieces for me.

I like Hendo on the long range frees, and I'd also rather Coutinho be in or around the box for those, to be available to shoot from loose balls with his first or second touch.

Would love to have a top quality free taker for the closer ones...someone who'll get 5+ goals a year from them.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Ben Woodburn with a goal from a brilliant piece of counter-attacking opportunism - three passes and in the net 1-4

Grujic off after about an hour, Toni Gomes coming on for Rhian Brewster so the liveliness rating won't be dropping.

Watching Chelsea, all West Ham, or is it all Chelsea sitting off away from home. They soak up some pressure, nothing major, and then go score on the break.
    It's all preplanned the way they play. We on the other hand insist on owning the ball away from home and then we get hit on break.

U23s HT Reading v Liverpool 1-3

It's a mad as a box of frogs - total we attack/you attack and could easily be about 3-5. Goals from Gomez and a pair from 16 year old Rhian Brewster who as I said yesterday seems to be on a coaching fast track, his great trick is that he doesn't think - he just does, shooting early and often is his trademark. Ojo and Grujic have done well esp the latter when you consider how long he's been out.

Reading's came from the spot thanks to a barnstorming run that wasn't intercepted until far too late.
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Ben Woodburn with a goal from a brilliant piece of counter-attacking opportunism - three passes and in the net 1-4

Grujic off after about an hour, Toni Gomes coming on for Rhian Brewster so the liveliness rating won't be dropping.

FT 1 - 5 Nathaniel Philips with the coup de grace. Word for Harry Wilson with three assists. Sparkling display of attacking football, the U23s have all the pace that the seniors (Mane and to a degree Origi aside) lack - great to watch, the other aspects held up as well, even if Joe Gomez was a bit dozy on a couple of occasions. Kamil Grabara, the keeper really looks a cut above every other youth stopper for years, at 18 I'd not be too shocked if he were the third choice senior keeper next season with Ward staying on loan with Huddersfield.

Sakho?

:)

very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

1000% intentional imo.

Conte brought the Italian league to the Premier League. 1-0 2-0 , no 5-4 games like us .
    Seems so dam easy, we are so naive.
    Chelsea under Conte could dominate for 10 years plus .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Conte brought the Italian league to the Premier League. 1-0 2-0 , no 5-4 games like us .
    Seems so dam easy, we are so naive.
    Chelsea under Conte could dominate for 10 years plus .

Or hazard and Costa get injured and the plan doesn't work...

A great manager for sure but let's not get carried away with declarations of a dynasty yet. Wouldn't shock me if a lot more teams, especially in the lower half, take the draw against them next year.

Regardless I'll stick with Klopp thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Sakho?

If he continues to play well at Palace for the rest of the season, displays some behavioural maturity and makes a genuine attempt to repair his relationship with Klopp it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sakho was given an opportunity to rejoin the 1st team squad for pre season and is given a second chance to stake his claim.

A lot will depend on whether Sakho's ego/pride will enable him to eat a bit of humble pie in order to get a second chance to play for LFC but if he does I can see it being a win/win for Klopp, Sakho and more importantly the club. There's no doubt he's a quality defender and he has that hard/nasty element in his game that we don't have enough of in the team outside Hendo. If anything it would strengthen Klopps position in that it would show he has zero tolerance for messing and will completely banish you from the squad until you take the medicine he dishes out and you genuinely repent otherwise you're out the door permanently.

Do people think it's possible Sakho could be rehabilitated back into the squad and be accepted by the coaching team, players and fans? I could see it happening if Sakho wants it to happen. Klopp didn't seem to rule it out in his presser last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Do people think it's possible Sakho could be rehabilitated back into the squad and be accepted by the coaching team, players and fans? I could see it happening if Sakho wants it to happen. Klopp didn't seem to rule it out in his presser last week.[/QUOTE]

Hard for people to guess without all the facts but I would hope Klopp s ego would allow him to back down if he thought it was the best thing for the team. I can't help wonder if there was more to the drug story and is the rest a smokescreen not to play him without giving information that would be damaging to the player and club

Depends, maybe Klopp already has a better CB in his sights.

Depends, maybe Klopp already has a better CB in his sights.
    If so then the best thing for all concerned is that Sakho uses his time at Palace to remind the world what a player he is and that he's matured a bit, we get €20m or whatever for him and use that towards Klopps CB target.

A lot will depend on whether Sakho's ego/pride will enable him to eat a bit of humble pie in order to get a second chance to play for LFC but if he does I can see it being a win/win for Klopp, Sakho and more importantly the club. There's no doubt he's a quality defender and he has that hard/nasty element in his game that we don't have enough of in the team outside Hendo. If anything it would strengthen Klopps position in that it would show he has zero tolerance for messing and will completely banish you from the squad until you take the medicine he dishes out and you genuinely repent otherwise you're out the door permanently. ..............................

He trained with the U23s for months and didn't go out on loan in August, he ate plenty humble pie in doing so.

I think it's more likely Klopp's ego/pride is the issue if there is one along those lines.
    sword1 wrote: »
    .......... I would hope Klopp s ego would allow him to back down if he thought it was the best thing for the team...........

I think Sakho is finished at LFC.

Loved watching Sakho play for us, but I do think he's done at the club. From all the stuff that's come out of the past year or so, he sounds like a bit of a mentalist.

To be sent home from a preseason tour only a few months after being busted for fat burning pills, is a damning lack of professionalism in a time when he should have been putting the head down and busting a gut. He just missed a Europa League final, missed the Euros for France, and was recovering from an injury, yet he was over in the US acting like a plank and just generally not taking things seriously.

I know he got off for the fat burning pills in the end, but lets not be too naive here. What he was caught for are commonly used as a masking agent, and you also have a those reports from his time under Rodgers and PSG where he was criticised for not managing his weight and conditioning properly enough.

There's enough smoke there to see why he's been accused of a lack of professionalism, and if someone like Klopp is willing to let a player of Sakho's ability and on field passion go, then you know there's something larger at play.

I don't think its just a case of Klopp having an ego, or playing some high level Club politics or anything, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Dont know what to make of the Sakho situation at all. Klopp had enough of whatever it was and I'll have to back the manager on this one.

Personally, training with the u23's for half a year would have been punishment enough. If he wasn't acting the maggot bringing him back into the team could have benefitted all involved. 1 last chance at LFC kind of a thing.

I think its a shame that Matip and Sakho never actually played at CB together. Might have been beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Do people think it's possible Sakho could be rehabilitated back into the squad and be accepted by the coaching team, players and fans? I could see it happening if Sakho wants it to happen. Klopp didn't seem to rule it out in his presser last week.

Hard for people to guess without all the facts but I would hope Klopp s ego would allow him to back down if he thought it was the best thing for the team. I can't help wonder if there was more to the drug story and is the rest a smokescreen not to play him without giving information that would be damaging to the player and club[/QUOTE]

Klopp's ego?

A manager who often takes blame for defeats himself & someone who called himself the normal one.

I have no idea why you think he has an ego.

Would like to see Sakho back too but as you said we don't know all the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Can anyone recommend somewhere to watch the game on Sunday on central Berlin?

Reading v Liverpool U23 highlights package 6 goals in 1-5 thrashing and an awkward interview with Ben Woodburn! plus TAA (the sound is very low)

x43r0 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend somewhere to watch the game on Sunday on central Berlin?

http://www.teachingenglishinberlin.com/6-places-to-watch-english-football-and-rugby-in-berlin/

Game is on Sky I think, so you should be able to find a few spots. The website above has a couple of decent options.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Klopp's ego?

A manager who often takes blame for defeats himself & someone who called himself the normal one.

I have no idea why you think he has an ego.

Because we all have ego's.

I'm not suggesting Klopp's ego is a problem at all but it is one (hopefully very minor) element in the equation should a rehabilitation of Sakho become an option.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement