Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We'd be mad to let Can go. I think current form is affecting a few peoples thinking. And it's true, in the games we struggle in, he's just not really that suitable for them - he's not great against a packed defense where we have 75+% posession. It's a style of game he still has to adapt to, but he's only 23. For now, these are the ones we should be starting Hendo, Lallana and Wijnaldum.

But in the actual competitive games, he's far better. That's when you see the best of him - he was immense for us in the EL last season, and many of his better performances have come against better clubs... even in the Arsenal game, he put in his best performance in a while.

If we're in europe next season, we need him.

Roy Keane would not be laughing if his team was getting thrashed 10-2, even if the worlds best standup comedian was telling him jokes. No excuse for Sanchez.

Actually Keane would be one of my first examples for someone who does do that thing of laughing, while saying very serious things, bubbling on the edge of rage, and then the manic laughter/smile fades and he's into full keane rage mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

NukaCola wrote: »
    We have a lot of positions to replace next summer. Having to replace a decent squad option because we are unwilling to meet a fairly reasonable amount of wages smacks of the tightness FSG get stick over, and will be an unnecessary extra position to replace.

First thing i thought of was classic FSG being tight bastards. Really hope they sell up. If we finish in champions league spot and they are frugle again il crack up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Goal Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Goal: Suarez:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

ricero wrote: »
    First thing i thought of was classic FSG being tight bastards. Really hope they sell up. If we finish in champions league spot and they are frugle again il crack up

Well, come summer time, if we again fail to address positions in the squad that need cover, and we are fed the same line of players being unavailable I'll be a lot more critical if improvements in the league and cup competitions aren't made.

I'm quite happy to take Klopp at his word and leave him build his squad but not buying is as almost as bad as buying the wrong player.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Goal Suarez.
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    Goal: Suarez:)

65 goals in 64 appearances. Barca got him cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

MD1990 wrote: »
    It is rare we buy many players over 25.

But if you look at many of the best teams in the CL Real,Bayern & Barca in particular most of there players are over 25 especially the one's who start.

Probably won't happen but we could do with buying some players in there peak rather that trying to develop them & sell.

Thats exactly what we need, one or two players that the club are not looking at their resale value, but at what they can provide the club over a couple of years. I doubt United are looking to recoup what they spend on Ibrahimovics wages, he was bought to provide goals for the team now and is providing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I find it mad Barcelona never let Suarez take free kicks, when he was playing for us a Suarez free kick was nearly a 50/50 goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ah but does he deserve more? that's the 1 million dollar question.

On the basis of his development over the last 3 years i don't think double his wages is warranted.

Well, he will get it somewhere else so it all depends on how much we want to keep him. I'd hang on to him and give him the 70 or somewhere close to it, but it wouldn't exactly break my heart if he left either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Would you rather keep Can on £70k a week or replace him with a 19 year prospect on £25k a week?

Recent history tells us that's what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Would you rather keep Can on £70k a week or replace him with a 19 year prospect on £25k a week?

Or maybe Can will be used as a make weight to get a player from Leverkusen or RB Leipzig ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah, good point. I know wages are a huge outgoing for any club, but 35 grand is nothing. Now granted, i do forget how young Can is but he's still a German international with plenty of game time for club. He isn't a youngster either.

In fact, if Can's only got a year left on his contract, we should already be in discussions and expecting to award him a pay rise.

Or maybe Can will be used as a make weight to get a player from Leverkusen or RB Leipzig ;)

Or keep Can and go out and buy those two players anyway to build up our squad.

That's what any team with title and cup winning ambitions would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

How successful has the Academy been in bringing young players through?

http://www.thestatszone.com/articles/how-successful-has-liverpools-academy-been-in-producing-professional-footballers

There is a big drop off in forwards coming through since 2000 but I feel that's about to change dramatically:)

• Advertisement

Does the return to form of young lads at the academy coincide with Heighway returning full time in 2015 after being away from it for the best part of a decade I wonder.

Probably not.

monkey9 wrote: »

In fact, if Can's only got a year left on his contract, we should already be in discussions and expecting to award him a pay rise.

:)

Is that not what the chat is about? He wants £70k/week and the club aren't offering that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Can (35,000) and Lucas (80,000) and maybe Stewart (15,000) should be gone in the summer.We should get about 20-25 million for Can maybe 5 for stewart.
    Buy a CM that will immediately go into the team - give him 80,000- 100,000 a week and buy him for 35 million if needs be. a Technical tactical DM with a bit of physicality that can move the ball quickly.

Winji,Hendo,Lallana, Grujic New DM, Milner

Forwards
    sell Sturridge for about 20-25 million wages are 125,000
    Buy one fast mother****er who knows where the net is
    Sign him for 50 millions and give him 150,000

Firmino, Coutino, Mane, Origi, Fast Mother****

Defender
    Sell Moreno and Sakho should return close to 40 million and about 140,000 a week in wages
    Buy Betrand for 40 million , failing that get tierney from celtic for about 20-25 million

Matip,Gomez, Lovren, Klavan, Clyne, Betrand/Tierney, Milner, trent Arnold

Keepers.
    Sell mignolet 80,000 in wages and 10 in transfer

If we get 4th and the lack of spending we did in the last few years we should have 160 million to spend

I'd keep Can because there's a player in there somewhere. He just has no consistency whatsoever. He's gone backwards if anything.

65 goals in 64 appearances. Barca got him cheap.

Could see him do something loony bad the way this is going now... hopefully not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

David Maddox knows little but clearly the longer Can refuses to sign the greater the likelihood he'll be sold this summer. Wonder what he'd fetch given how poor he has been when given a chance this season.

Him and Lucas out, bring in someone like Naby Keïta and make Marco Grujic the general option for midfield.

Keita - Hendo - Grujic - Stewart
    Wijnaldum - Lallana - Grujic - Ejaria
    Bowlardo wrote: »
    Can (35,000) and Lucas (80,000) and maybe Stewart (15,000) should be gone in the summer.We should get about 20-25 million for Can maybe 5 for stewart.
    Buy a CM that will immediately go into the team - give him 80,000- 100,000 a week and buy him for 35 million if needs be. a Technical tactical DM with a bit of physicality that can move the ball quickly.

:)
    Forwards

Defender
    Sell Moreno and Sakho should return close to 40 million and about 140,000 a week in wages
    Buy Bertrand for 40 million , failing that get tierney from celtic for about 20-25 million

Matip, Gomez, Lovren, Klavan, Clyne, Betrand/Tierney, Milner, Trent Arnold

Keepers.

If we get 4th and the lack of spending we did in the last few years we should have 160 million to spend

Would agree with pretty much all of that.

Forwards

Defender
    Buy Betrand for 40 million , failing that get tierney from celtic for about 20-25 million

Matip,Gomez, Lovren, Klavan, Clyne, Betrand/Tierney, Milner, trent Arnold

Keepers.

£25m for a 19 year old who plays in the Scottish league?

How successful has the Academy been in bringing young players through?

http://www.thestatszone.com/articles/how-successful-has-liverpools-academy-been-in-producing-professional-footballers

There is a big drop off in forwards coming through since 2000 but I feel that's about to change dramatically:)

Yep, it's always darkest just before dawn (again!) ;) Seriously though we are starting to see a new era I think. Ejaria, Woodburn and TAA are now spending as much time with the seniors as the U23 now, would be more had we not crashed out of the FA Cup. Hopefully Ojo will join them as he is now back to speed - though I've a suspicion he needs to show more endeavour - sometimes he gives off a bit of a "too kool for skool" attitude.

40M for a 27 year old left back kind of caught me off guard a bit. Regardless, i like his hustle!

We'll probably go for Clichy on a free in fairness......

Stoke draw away to City so we are only 4 points off Spurs and City now.

Doesn't Ricardo Rodriguez of Wolfsburg have a low release clause? Lot of buzz around him at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm far more excited about the Stoke result than the Barcelona one.

I thought seeing Arsenal crumble yesterday was poor, PSG's is probably the worst choke in the history of the CL. 2 minutes left and Barca needed 3 goals........wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

2nd best champions league comeback I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Meh... Istanbul and Dortmund last year were better:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Well, the teams we came back against weren't an absolute disgrace, so we still have that going for us.

Milan bossed the game for all but about 15 minutes where we somehow stole 3 goals before they realised we were there.

There aren't enough synonyms for "choking shower of pussies" to adequately describe PSG.

40M for a 27 year old left back kind of caught me off guard a bit. Regardless, i like his hustle!

We'll probably go for Clichy on a free in fairness......

Both Southampton and Celtic will be getting paid properly for their assets. Might have been off by 5 million. But Betrand is consistently the best lb in the premier league over the last three seasons. Tierney is the real deal of what i have seen of him. One way or another this transfer window is not for ****ing around . I want our first or second choice target in four positions - GK, LB, DM FW. no haggling or messing with going for a lad that might work out. We should be getting 4 starters for the front 11. We are playing champions league next year :)

I see the loan that FSG gave LFC for the new stand wasn't interest free.......thats another plus for FSG off the list......in fairness its a reduced rate in comparison to the banks.....

Both Southampton and Celtic will be getting paid properly for their assets. Might have been off by 5 million. But Betrand is consistently the best lb in the premier league over the last three seasons. Tierney is the real deal of what i have seen of him. One way or another this transfer window is not for ****ing around . I want our first or second choice target in four positions - GK, LB, DM FW. no haggling or messing with going for a lad that might work out. We should be getting 4 starters for the front 11. We are playing champions league next year :)

I wasn't having a go, just not sure we'll see that money spent at LB.....

Doesn't Ricardo Rodriguez of Wolfsburg have a low release clause? Lot of buzz around him at LB.

Has regressed this season, as has Wolfsburg generally - 15th in the BL just goal difference clear of the relegation play-off. The budget they were flashing about the place 3-4 years ago has been greatly curtailed.

Has regressed this season, as has Wolfsburg generally - 15th in the BL just goal difference clear of the relegation play-off. The budget they were flashing about the place 3-4 years ago has been greatly curtailed.

Might get him cheaper then :pac: Still fairly young, not sure about him but rated highly still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The whole team has regressed rather than him in particular. Could do with a change of scenery, he's still a very good player but he isn't going to kick on at Wolfsburg. Not so sure we'd get him though, some bigger teams than us would take him I'd imagine, certainly would have 18 months ago anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I see the loan that FSG gave LFC for the new stand wasn't interest free.......thats another plus for FSG off the list......in fairness its a reduced rate in comparison to the banks.....

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

is that not something to do with financial fair play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, nothing to complain about with that loan terms imo.

micks wrote: »
    is that not something to do with financial fair play?

No idea tbh
    Damien360 wrote: »
    Rate of 1.24% is nothing. Very preferential loan.
    5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, nothing to complain about with that loan terms imo.

True but it was billed as interest free when announced, and a few on here said they gave an interest free loan on the stadium loan, but thats not the case.

Its costing us 1.3M a year, maybe not hugely significant but when your haggling over a few thousand on wages then it makes sense that FSG went this way instead of interest free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sounds fair enough really.

The cost has to come from somewhere. I don't expect FSG to put a penny into the club.

If self-sufficiency is the game then them getting us favourable credit terms can only be seen as a good thing in my eyes.

I wasn't having a go, just not sure we'll see that money spent at LB.....
    god i didn't think you were having a go at all. i really want us not to go for the cheap option this summer. A left back that can naturally whip a ball with his left and beat players would make some room for our forward and add a good few goals that we are not getting this year but with FSGs history it is unlikely we would splash 30-40 million on an LB

• Advertisement

Surely if klopp wants can FSG will pay the required wages?

1.3m a year is 25k/week. Markovic costs us more than that ... SFA really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Some comeback in fairness, but Barcelona really are a disgrace the way they play act. Have to be the worse team for cheating and moaning to the ref in world football.

Augeo wrote: »
    Surely if klopp wants can FSG will pay the required wages?

1.3m a year is 25k/week. Markovic costs us more than that ... SFA really.

I suppose its SFA to FSG also but they chose for us to pay for it rather than going for the interest free loan route.

It looks like I'm giving out about them but I'm not really. They didn't gave us an interest free loan but continue to make us self sufficient which is fair enough......its just that it should no longer be used as a plus by people while arguing FSG are great owners which is a different debate altogether....an observation more than anything :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah come on, another plus for FSG off the list?! Are ya serious?

The assumption before was that it was money from FSG directly, on which they wouldn't charge the club interest. Instead, we find that they used their own line of credit to get the money out with an absolutely fantastic interest rate from the bank, which will be paid back to the bank. So FSG are facilitating us with the money, and not taking anything from it in return.

Nothing's changed in that respect, we just know more details on it now, and it's still bloody good ownership practice by them.

It's like your Mam with a great credit rating getting out money, and giving it to ya, rather than you going direct and paying 4 or 5 times as much. She shoulders the risk, and it's pretty sound of her.

It's still absolutely a Plus in how they deal with the club as they simply don't have any need to do this. They're being sound.

Also, you keep saying "instead of going interest free". Why are you so sure those were the options? For them to give an interest free loan means they would have had to have that money liquid, sitting around. When we thought it was an interest free loan, that's what we thought had happened, which would have been grand. But obviously now it seems like they didn't, in which case an interest free loan is no longer a possibility. So obviously the money had to be gotten from somewhere, which you can't do without incurring interest, and they did this is the most pro-LFC way possible.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ah come on, another plus for FSG off the list?! Are ya serious?

Well, no, not really......but as I stated the assumption that FSG gave us something for nothing just isn't true and as I said in the same post you quoted we did get better terms.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement