Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NukaCola wrote: »
    Well, no, not really......but as I stated the assumption that FSG gave us something for nothing just isn't true and as I said in the same post you quoted we did get better terms.

But they did though. They took out the loan. They incur the responsibility and the risk. We get the money with the banks preferential rate. By putting this burden on themselves instead of LFC (which they're under no obligation to do) they save the club 3 million a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Also, you keep saying "instead of going interest free". Why are you so sure those were the options? For them to give an interest free loan means they would have had to have that money liquid, sitting around. When we thought it was an interest free loan, that's what we thought had happened, which would have been grand. But obviously now it seems like they didn't, in which case an interest free loan is no longer a possibility. So obviously the money had to be gotten from somewhere, which you can't do without incurring interest, and they did this is the most pro-LFC way possible.

I'm not sure those were the options but thats how it was spun initially, I heard nothing to the contrary since I just read that article, which is why i shared it here.

I'm not sure those were the options but thats how it was spun initially, I heard nothing to the contrary since I just read that article, which is why i shared it here.

It's definitely interesting, but for me doesn't change the underlying nature of what they did.

Saying "that's a plus off FSG" completely ignores that this is still far better than how most owners operate their clubs. The plus has changed, but its still a plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Jonjo Shelvey gets paid double what Emre Can does and LFC wonder why some players dig their heels in on wages.

I honestly struggle to see how this set up they have has any future for a club that wants to go places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can't believe Can is on so little. He deserves 750,000 a week.

It's definitely interesting, but for me doesn't change the underlying nature of what they did.

Saying "that's a plus off FSG" completely ignores that this is still far better than how most owners operate their clubs. The plus has changed, but its still a plus.

The plus is better when you can quote it in 3 words like "interest free loan".

"FSG took out the loan. They incur the responsibility and the risk. We get the money with the banks preferential rate. By putting this burden on themselves instead of LFC they save the club 3 million a year" doesn't have the same ring to it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Ox wants out of Arsenal now I wouldn't mind him if the price was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Ox wants out of Arsenal now I wouldn't mind him if the price was right.

FSG won't pay his wages. He's on £65,000 a week, he'll want more if he's moving and Liverpool won't pay that.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Jonjo Shelvey gets paid double what Emre Can does and LFC wonder why some players dig their heels in on wages.

I honestly struggle to see how this set up they have has any future for a club that wants to go places.

We offered Dele Alli 4K a week, but give Markovic 60K......its hard to understand the transfer policy at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Shelvey is wildly overpaid, luckily for Newcastle they'll only be in the Championship for the one season. I view Can as a make-weight - he is a squad player and should get a squad players wage. Arsenal pay their subs 80k a week - look what good it's done them.

As for Oxtail, where would he play? As back up to Mane? He won't get many games then unless he is good from the left flank.

• Advertisement

The plus is better when you can quote it in 3 words like "interest free loan".

"FSG took out the loan. They incur the responsibility and the risk. We get the money with the banks preferential rate. By putting this burden on themselves instead of LFC they save the club 3 million a year" doesn't have the same ring to it :pac:

True - but such is life these days I suppose. No one ever wants the actual explanation, they just want the media-friendly zinger summing up the gist.

As for Oxtail, where would he play? As back up to Mane? He won't get many games then unless he is good from the left flank.

Would probably more see him as one of the midfield 3, standing in for Lallana or Wij. That's where he's probably looked best for Arsenal... attacking from deeper, moving/passing into the spaces left by those man-marking our front 3. Bonus that he can play wide forward too if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Shelvey is wildly overpaid, luckily for Newcastle they'll only be in the Championship for the one season. I view Can as a make-weight - he is a squad player and should get a squad players wage. Arsenal pay their subs 80k a week - look what good it's done them.

Well they're in the Champions League every season. I wouldn't mind that to be honest. Their fans are just bored of it at this stage as they never look like winning either it or the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No idea tbh

True but it was billed as interest free when announced, and a few on here said they gave an interest free loan on the stadium loan, but thats not the case.

Its costing us 1.3M a year, maybe not hugely significant but when your haggling over a few thousand on wages then it makes sense that FSG went this way instead of interest free.

It's free money. The only thing they've done is adjust for inflation.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=uk+inflation+rate&rlz=1CAACAT_enIE708IE708&oq=uk+inflation+rate&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l2j69i60j69i65j69i60.3479j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Well, no, not really......but as I stated the assumption that FSG gave us something for nothing just isn't true and as I said in the same post you quoted we did get better terms.

Well if you think about it tho if they given us an interest free loan of say 500mill for 10 years and expected just 500mill sometime in the future i.e. interest free they would in fact have incurred a loss on that and not just broken even as everyone would assume as technically money is worth more today than it is tomorrow or in a month or 10 years etc. ;)
    I get what you mean tho as it is about perception and FSG were perceived to have given us an interest free loan and that was seen as a huge plus for them and you would just like to clarify that right?? I get it...I think.

Ok I am not advocating the purchase of Oxtail, however I would like people to stop with this train of thought when it comes to signing players? Where would he play? Well, theoretically he could play in our midfield 3 as he has done for Arsenal or on either flank however that is not my point. My point is that I wish people would stop thinking of our team as a team of 11 players and if we already have 11 perceived first team players we no longer have room for another quality player as his position is taken. It that's kind of thinking that cost us January imo. Realistically we need a minimum of ~20 players capable of playing first team football for us each week, especially if we end up in europe next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Suarez.jpg

Despite it being one of Barca's greatest ever victories, Suarez is still trolling Utd fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

£70k per week for a player at a club as big as Liverpool who is in the first XI, is more than fair, Can is dead right to be looking for it. Any opinion on whether he is good enough doesn't matter, Klopp thinks he is so he should be paid accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

The great Xabi Alonso is retiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Former Liverpool great and current lifestyle model Xabi Alonso is retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

rob316 wrote: »
    £70k per week for a player at a club as big as Liverpool who is in the first XI, is more than fair, Can is dead right to be looking for it. Any opinion on whether he is good enough doesn't matter, Klopp thinks he is so he should be paid accordingly.

The only way we don't pay him 70K per week is if Klopp doesn't rate him as highly as you think, maybe Klopp see's better alternatives elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

ush wrote: »
    Former Liverpool great and current lifestyle model Xabi Alonso is retiring.

Is this news , I thought he had already announced he was retiring at end of the season ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Is this news , I thought he had already announced he was retiring at end of the season ?

Apparently it is news, according to The Guardian anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Only Xabi could put it so beautifully

https://twitter.com/XabiAlonso/status/839777479426510848

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Apparently it is news, according to The Guardian anyway.

Apparently Bild had announced it a few weeks/months ago, but this is the first public statement by Xabi or the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The only way we don't pay him 70K per week is if Klopp doesn't rate him as highly as you think, maybe Klopp see's better alternatives elsewhere.

He's been starting ahead of Wiji though so he clearly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

rob316 wrote: »
    He's been starting ahead of Wiji though so he clearly does.

He started ahead of Wiji on only a few occasions, If it's true that he's asking for 70k I'm sure he will get that if Klopp wants him If he doesn't it's because Klopp see's better value elsewhere, Time will tell I guess.

Bit weird as he's playing for another 2 or 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Might be some contractual thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

There's no way Can will be starting ahead of Wijnaldum now. Wij is exactly what Klopp asked for, a midfielder who scores goals. He's scored decisive goals against City and Chelsea and helped kill the game off against Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

F*ck off Ox.

There's no way Can will be starting ahead of Wijnaldum now. Wij is exactly what Klopp asked for, a midfielder who scores goals. He's scored decisive goals against City and Chelsea and helped kill the game off against Arsenal.

But does he have fantastic hair?

Can is probably the 12th name on the teamsheet atm alright, but with Europe (hopefully) etc next season he'll get a lot more playing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

But does he have fantastic hair?

His smile will have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oxlade Chamberlain is the sort of player who, if Klopp thinks he'd be a good signing, I'd be right on board.

I can't say I've seen enough of him delivering the goods at Arsenal to be generally positive about him as a player, but I've seen enough to suggest that if Klopp thought he could make something of him, I'd believe him.

I don't think he's horrifically injury prone, weak, slow, obviously stupid or obviously talentless so beyond that it's down to how a manager makes use of him and what his role in the squad would be.

I think we need a left-sided attacker and a CF.
    One needs to be a better goalscorer than what we already have (unless Bobby and Mane can start delivering 20 league goals a season, in which case, matching them would suffice).

Could we fit another attacker in as well, particularly if he can play deeper?
    Well I think we're already 1 short and we'll probably be getting rid of Sturridge and Ings, so I don't see why not.

Gbear wrote: »
    Could we fit another attacker in as well, particularly if he can play deeper?
    Well I think we're already 1 short and we'll probably be getting rid of Sturridge and Ings, so I don't see why not.

I still have some blind optimistic hope that Ings can still make it with us.

Such a shame that last injury happened when it did... wold have actually gotten a lot of playing time this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Definitely a shame but would he have played that much? He'd most likely still be behind Origi and just push Sturridge down the pecking order.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Definitely a shame but would he have played that much? He'd most likely still be behind Origi and just push Sturridge down the pecking order.

Ah now!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think Ings has just had too many serious injuries to make it at Liverpool, it's doubtful he would have anyway. But that injury just after Klopp took over was very frustrating because he was scoring a few goals and it would have been very interesting to see how he'd have got on.

To be honest, i just hope he can still make a career as a player. All those injuries add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He could be Klopps Gary McAllister . He's still good for 2 years like Gary was.
    Gary joined when older, and won 5 trophies at Liverpool.

He could be Klopps Gary McAllister . He's still good for 2 years like Gary was.
    Gary joined when older, and won 5 trophies at Liverpool.

Oh the jokes that would be had!

"He retired from playing football, and then went back to Liverpool"

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »

Don't push him too hard

mr_glass.jpg

Just looking at the score updates in the EL - it really is a weirdly weak field this year! Looks to be far fewer high quality teams than were there last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just looking at the score updates in the EL - it really is a weirdly weak field this year! Looks to be far fewer high quality teams than were there last season.

Roma-lyon and schalke-gladbach drawing eachother too helps, reckon united will piss it in the end. I know people hate on it but the europa league run last season was brilliant and loved all the games, still crazy thinking back of the dortmund game!

klose wrote: »
    Roma-lyon and schalke-gladbach drawing eachother too helps, reckon united will piss it in the end. I know people hate on it but the europa league run last season was brilliant and loved all the games, still crazy thinking back of the dortmund game!

Yeah, at times i'm a bigger fan of the EL and the EFL cups than I am of the Champions League and FA cups.

They've had a bit more of the unexpected to them over the past few years.

Admittedly this years CL has thrown up a few crackers and plenty of weird results, but as we get towards the business end, it's still looking like pretty much the same match-ups we get every year.

The EL was becoming a quite strong competition but it's suddenly regressed as the top teams regain their more expected positions in their respective leagues.

James Pearce in the Echo sez Liverpool want Can to sign deal and are no longer interested in Dahoud.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

James Pearce in the Echo sez Liverpool want Can to sign deal and are no longer interested in Dahoud.

No longer interested probably cause someone else has him bought. Dortmund as they are the new Spurs; in terms of buying our targets not losing to teams like Gent.

Yeah, at times i'm a bigger fan of the EL and the EFL cups than I am of the Champions League and FA cups.

They've had a bit more of the unexpected to them over the past few years.

Admittedly this years CL has thrown up a few crackers and plenty of weird results, but as we get towards the business end, it's still looking like pretty much the same match-ups we get every year.

You mean the way Sevilla won it all the time! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

The best of luck Xabi. You are one of the greatest players to wear the red shirt, thanks for the memories mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

The best of luck Xabi. You are one of the greatest players to wear the red shirt, thanks for the memories mate.

Is he on boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Is he on boards?

Hi

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement