Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing Christ, will yee stop humoring him?

Tomorrow's a huge game now with the other league results over the weekend, really need to win to keep the pressure on.

Even though we're going to have all of the ball, I want us to keep 3 men in our half at all times, rather than just the usual 2 CB's. Really worried about their pace.

After stabbing Ranieri in the back the players will want to show they're better off without him and hopefully will want to play a bit of ball which would suit us perfectly. We'll know after 10 mins how it's gonna go...if they sit back,let us have the ball and force us wide I'm turning it off cos we all know how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Seeing as clyne offers very little attacking wise if we were to push him back and Lucas could go a small bit forward almost alongside Henderson to try and keep angles open. Then you have the front four up top and wij linking play with lallana et al

While Clyne doesn't offer much directly, without him you're asking Mané to dribble around 3 players to get into a threatening position behind them.
    Clyne isn't great on the ball what he does do is give a way to play around their defence on the wing and get Mane where we want him - a 1v1 against the last defender stopping him from teeing someone else up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

When Mourinho approached the club with an interest in becoming manager, the club declined his offer due to their belief that certain elements of his style were at odds with the clubs philosophy.

I applaud the club for that and wholeheartedly support that decision.

And I'll say no more on that lest I get banned.

Would you be able to provide a source for this please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

quarryman wrote: »
    Would you be able to provide a source for this please.

On the last thread. Or the one before it. Work away.

Suit yourself, bud.

Bit passive aggressive there, you need to watch that around these parts. Few sensitive folk about iirc.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sigh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A few posts have been deleted and a post carded. There is going to be very little tolerance of derailing the thread with infighting from now on - there have been enough warnings at this stage.

This is not up for discussion on thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Match day... it has been too long!
    Badly need a win to keep it interesting ahead of the Arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

After moaning and giving out about gini being signed gotta say i was completely wrong about him. He has really impressed me this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gini Wiji is the oil of the midfield, without him it's all very grinding metal on metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

SlickRic wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

Yes, a load of their fans who have called it a meaningless cup are now loving winning it, but so what?

We all know deep down it's a trophy, and it's far better to win it than not.

Do you think some of that is down to how difficult it is to compete lately than it did 10-15-20 years ago? There's a lot more teams capable of winning the league, champs league, fa cup and reaching top 4. Personally I'm not sure but I've heard that synopsis thrown around.

Nalz wrote: »
    Do you think some of that is down to how difficult it is to compete lately than it did 10-15-20 years ago? There's a lot more teams capable of winning the league, champs league, fa cup and reaching top 4. Personally I'm not sure but I've heard that synopsis thrown around.

Not quite. I think it's down to utd not winning the big prizes recently. It's a similar diagnosis, but not the same. If you were still winning leagues as ye were 5 years ago it would be similar to the reaction 5 years ago if ye had won the league cup, nice to win but reasonably irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, whereas now it is seen as good progress in a rebuilding process that is much more important than it would have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

5starpool wrote: »
    Not quite. I think it's down to utd not winning the big prizes recently. It's a similar diagnosis, but not the same. If you were still winning leagues as ye were 5 years ago it would be similar to the reaction 5 years ago if ye had won the league cup, nice to win but reasonably irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, whereas now it is seen as good progress in a rebuilding process that is much more important than it would have been.

With how important the league cup is now i wonder if Liverpool will be acknowledged as the 1st team to win the League, European Cup and a domestic cup in one season :D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Thank god its matchday! Its only rumour threads go way off the rails when theres a game week missing. Ill be interested to see who lines out giving the rumours lovren is still missing and hendo was not seen in training photos but im confident we have enough up front to beat leicester. Am on lates this week so it will be a livescore job for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Henderson is out with a foot injury.

Can should step in but I don't think playing as a DM is his best role. Often too slow in releasing the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I've no doubt Klopp will have drilled it into Can's head that he needs to replicate what Hendo has been done and he can step up tonight because he is a due a big game for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

After moaning and giving out about gini being signed gotta say i was completely wrong about him. He has really impressed me this season.

He has much of what Allen never gave the team, physicality and being able to hold the ball in possession under pressure without being easily mugged in duel situations, which Allen was most of the time. Allen was a decent player but the make up of his game is flimsy for a CM player. He was never good enough for us.

The 'units' that Klopp brought in (Mane/Matip/Wijnaldum) were badly needed and there's still a lot to do with the squad. We need about 5 players to come in if we have any hope of top 4 and a campaign in Europe next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

It certainly is cans chance to grab the headlines, he's been the reciever of a lost of justifiable criticism mostly that he can't play alongside side hendo, well he will get his chance to play with lallana and wij (unless klopp plays a wild card of course) grujic to make the bench I wonder? There's a forgotten man.

• Advertisement

Grujic is just back in training after a long injury lay off. No chance he features tonight. Kev Stewart probably on the bench, especially if Lucas starts in Lovren's place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Grujic is just back in training after a long injury lay off. No chance he features tonight. Kev Stewart probably on the bench, especially if Lucas starts in Lovren's place.

Good, he's had it tough, starting with a new team and getting injured shortly after....

Hopefully he can push on a bit after this....

Definitely a good player in there from what we have seen already....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

daithijjj wrote: »
    He has much of what Allen never gave the team, physicality and being able to hold the ball in possession under pressure without being easily mugged in duel situations, which Allen was most of the time. Allen was a decent player but the make up of his game is flimsy for a CM player. He was never good enough for us.

Allen has is shortcomings by what you describe definitely isn't one of them, He has a great ability of using his body to shield the ball while under pressure, Coutinho even commented on it how he was amazed by it and it was something he could learn from Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2015/2016/joe_allen/165/165/540/36/p|premier_league/2015/2016/georginio_wijnaldum/165/165/7968/39/p#defence_score/possession_score/tackles_won/tackles_lost/successful_take_ons/fouls_suffered/interceptions/key_passes/pass_completion/chances_created/successful_take_ons_%#90

Haven't seen squawka used in a while.
    Interestingly Allen won more tackles but also lost more tackles per 90 mins than georginio. Looks like he was just throwing himself into more tackles.
    Obviously Georginio was playing for a team in a regulation run and Allen played more cup games agaisnt weaker opposition.
    I'm sure Klopp would have liked to kept Allen for the squad but Joe 'Big Balls' Allen felt he was better than that and I suppose has to be commended for his desire to play.
    I'm happy with Georginio, he's had a fairly impressive first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That's 3 trophies in 2 years for United. We need to get a move on..
    Going out of cups early this year was a awful considering we have no Euro football.

That's 3 trophies in 2 years for United. We need to get a move on..
    Going out of cups early this year was a awful considering we have no Euro football.

Ya a cup would have been nice but as long as we get that CL spot which is still firmly in our grasp, then I will be happy enough especially If united fall short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Henderson out for ye tonight will he be much of a loss?

jayo26 wrote: »
    Henderson out for ye tonight will he be much of a loss?

I would love for him to be out for 5 games, basically just out of interest, nothing else.

Ya a cup would have been nice but as long as we get that CL spot which is still firmly in our grasp, then I will be happy enough especially If united fall short.

They could win FA CUP, Europa Cup , and grab 4th yet .

I would love for him to be out for 5 games, basically just out of interest, nothing else.

Be careful what you wish for ;) can playing deep midfield??

I think we will come up short in fa cup against Chelsea can't honestly see us having the team for trip to Russia then London the return leg in Manchester in space of 7 days we are going to get stuck somewhere with fatigue.

• Advertisement

I know, They could also loose both cups and finish 8th.

Henderson is a big loss,
    I would hope Can can come in and have one of his better games.
    The other option which is only slightly less appealing is with Klavan back at CB then Lucas in DM with Can on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Doesn't Can play better when Henderson isn't around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

brevity wrote: »

I bloody hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

tumblr_okg7xzhSJb1v85rsuo1_400.gif

martyos121 wrote: »
    I bloody hope so.

I'd argue yuz are missing your best player in Henderson tonight and might turn out to be costly
    Obviously I'm hoping uz loose but I would also share a grin if you did stick it to those Leicester players after the ****ty treatment of Ranieri

Henderson has his detractors but I think we play better when he plays well. Can has been poor all season pretty much.

I have given up on the match thread for tonight after the OP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Leicester players will surely put in a performance after their much criticised treatment of Ranieri and underperformance this year. With hendo missing Can will really need to up his game, a lot will rest on him. Still think we will win , being fresh and focused on this game for so long. Hopefully 0-3 with no injuries will see us back in the mix again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd argue yuz are missing your best player in Henderson tonight and might turn out to be costly
    Obviously I'm hoping uz loose but I would also share a grin if you did stick it to those Leicester players after the ****ty treatment of Ranieri

Henderson is quality but Mane is by far our most effective player tbf. We'll miss Hendo for sure though, but with Leicester possibly in turmoil (it could go the opposite direction too, they could be well up for this) we might just get away with his absence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Can has been average in the last month.
    But no point in putting all the blame on him. Still a good player & his form should pick up soon. I don't think he has the game intelligence to play as a DM. His best position is as a box to box CM. Wijnaldum is much better in tight spaces in midfield though which sets him apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Reckon tonight could make or break Can's Liverpool career

Well Can has done better against teams that come out and play, so Leicester will be tough and will go with counter attacking football letting Liverpool have the ball.

We might be well rested and everyone expects us to explode upon Leicester, but if they sit and give us the ball then we can press and rush no one. Could be a game of patience, something we have little of.

Can can play can Can, we just need to see it more often. He needed a rest more so than anyone.

I have given up on the match thread for tonight after the OP

What's your particular objection to it? Seems generically harmless to me with even a literature pun thrown in for good measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

brevity wrote: »

Well he doesn't have hendo to pass 10 yards sideways to so hopefully!

I bet Wiji heard Can was a starter and knew he was going to be benched useless he took action. Hendo happened to be closest. :pac:

What's your particular objection to it? Seems generically harmless to me with even a literature pun thrown in for good measure.

Back to calling players Mr Glass and such just getting tedious at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Back to calling players Mr Glass and such just getting tedious at this stage
    Jesus it was a joke liven up a bit

• Advertisement

paulie21 wrote: »
    Jesus it was a joke liven up a bit

:cool:

Tell us the one about the chicken crossing the road next.... you are on fire lad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement