Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Harry would know the correct date, he lived it.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    June 3rd no?
    The next significant date is March 30th, when the new rules for the club were drawn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If Leicester win the Champions League and Man Utd win the Europa League and finish outside the top 4 then this happens

1st 2nd 3rd and Leicester go into the group stages of next seasons CL Man Utd will go into the play offs.

4th, 5th and 6th will go into the Europa League as FA Cup looks like it will be won by a team already in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

If Leicester win the Champions League and Man Utd win the Europa League and finish outside the top 4 then this happens

1st 2nd 3rd and Leicester go into the group stages of next seasons CL Man Utd will go into the play offs.

4th, 5th and 6th will go into the Europa League as FA Cup looks like it will be won by a team already in Europe.

So Man City, finishing 4th, will miss out on CL football next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Vanolder wrote: »

Yes in that scenario 4th would miss out in the Champions League.

Also reading up on it there would only be 2 English teams in the Europa League

As it Currently stands
    Chelsea, Spurs, Man City - Group Stage of Champions League
    Liverpool - Play offs Champions League

Arsenal & Cup Winners - Group Stage of Europa League
    Man Utd - 3rd Qualifying Round of Europa League

But since the FA Cup winners look like they will be in Europa via the league it would look more like this
    Arsenal & Man Utd - Group Stage of Europa League.
    Everton - 3rd Qualifying Round of Europa League.

As it stands with Leicester and Man Utd winning
    Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, Leicester - Group Stage CL
    Man Utd - Play off CL

Liverpool & Arsenal - Group stage of Europa League

LFC are back to being favourites out of Arsenal, Liverpool and Utd for Top4 finish.

Chelsea, Spurs & Man City being shorter again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Augeo wrote: »
    LFC are back to being favourites out of Arsenal, Liverpool and Utd for Top4 finish.

Chelsea, Spurs & Man City being shorter again.

Liverpool are challenging for the title, not 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Brandt is in talks with Bayern Munich. I can't believe we're selling him before he even kicked a ball for us. Ridiculous club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Brandt is in talks with Bayern Munich. I can't believe we're selling him before he even kicked a ball for us. Ridiculous club.

I feel Liverpool are going to have to be very, very lucky in the transfer market. Even if they get CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We're just bypassing the whole loan-to-Spain/Portugal/wherever after a few first team appearances thingy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If they do get Brandt I'd happily see us ask them about signing for Douglas Costa before BVB or Spurs swoop in and sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

brevity wrote: »
    I feel Liverpool are going to have to be very, very lucky in the transfer market. Even if they get CL.

Luckily klopp means much more than Rodgers in the transfer market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Luckily klopp means much more than Rodgers in the transfer market

You'd think so, but zero evidence of it thus far though unfortunately. Could we have gotten Matip, Wij, Mané, Karius etc with BR?.......probably.

Klopp is definitely a plus but i still think until Liverpool are consistently getting to and performing well in the CL and the league, they will have a tough time in the transfer market. Especially if they are competing with players that the bigger clubs are after.

One thing to bypass that is spending money and making clever deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I assumed Harry was being sarcastic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Knex. wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Liverpool are challenging for the title, not 4th.

Seriously, just let it go. Don't worry, if we don't finish in the top 4 you'll be able to come in here and laud it over everybody and tell us all again how great you are and how tough it is to be right all the time blah blah blah...until then, just let it go!

Why would I be sarcastic? Klopp is a top coach, Rogers had no profile outside the PL to speak of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Klopp is a big name in football. Unfortunately Bayern Munich is an even bigger one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

The next significant date is March 30th, when the new rules for the club were drawn up.

Rule number 1
    Next year is always our year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

mosstin wrote: »
    Rule number 1

That rule worked well for us in the 70's and 80's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The Chelsea model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rule number 1

Rule number 4
    Arsenal

Why would I be sarcastic? Klopp is a top coach, Rogers had no profile outside the PL to speak of

Because outside of a small percentage of players, I doubt a lot care massively about the manager in charge.

Money, potential to win trophies, and European football are going to be far higher concerns before you get down to any managerial tie breaker.

Klopp can't eradicate our deficiencies in those departments when compared to the competition.

Because outside of a small percentage of players, I doubt a lot care massively about the manager in charge.

Money, potential to win trophies, and European football are going to be far higher concerns before you get down to any managerial tie breaker.

Which is why Man Utd are powering their way to a league title thanks to Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Ibrahimovic, I'd trust Klopp to build a team not spend a fortune.

• Advertisement

Which is why Man Utd are powering their way to a league title thanks to Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Ibrahimovic, I'd trust Klopp to build a team not spend a fortune.

Totally irrelevant to the original point though. Bit of a strawman argument, Harry. Not like you! :p

Edit: Unless you're talking from simply the club's potential to build a squad with Klopp rather than Rodgers, and not on about whether or not we're a more attractive option to top players simply because we have Klopp.

Rodgers still brought in Coutinho, Sturridge, Can, Firmino, Milner, Clyne, so while I would trust Klopp to identify 2nd tier players that suit us better than Rodgers, I doubt its a massive difference.

Liverpool still targeted a lot of good players such as Sanchez, Willian and Mkhitaryan, and I doubt they'd have joined even if Klopp was the manager at the time, such was the club's situation.

Totally irrelevant to the original point though. Bit of a strawman argument, Harry. Not like you! :p

Edit: Unless you're talking from simply the club's potential to build a squad with Klopp rather than Rodgers, and not on about whether or not we're a more attractive option to top players simply because we have Klopp.

Rodgers still brought in Coutinho, Sturridge, Can, Firmino, Milner, Clyne, so while I would trust Klopp to identify 2nd tier players that suit us better than Rodgers, I doubt its a massive difference.

Liverpool still targeted a lot of good players such as Sanchez, Willian and Mkhitaryan, and I doubt they'd have joined even if Klopp was the manager at the time, such was the club's situation.

Brevity's original point was downplaying Liverpool's chances in the market and maybe my reply should have been more nuanced (I was on my phone which doesn't encourage detailed replies) but I think if there were a hypothetical in which a top level player was available and the deal was Liverpool + Rodgers or Liverpool + Klopp, the latter would be more persuasive every time. Obviously whether Klopp can swing a deal still relies on other factors like CL football and wages but to be honest any player who is only interested in a much fatter pay cheque is probably not worth bothering with. And before anyone mentions a load of Southampton players I think Lallana etc wanted to play for a side with more potential than the Saints who as lovely as they are will continue to hit a glass ceiling one level lower than Liverpool's glass ceiling.

As for squad building, Rodgers allowed himself to end up with Balotelli when there were clearly other options, Klopp would never do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This squad needs some experiance which will cost money. After the whole left back fiasco last summer (linked only with chillwell and ending up with milner as left back) i worry that fsg are being tight bastards even with klopp. There is no way in hell that klopp didnt eye up an other left back.

Big summer for the club and in particular fsg. If we are to obtain champions league football klopp should be given a blank cheque book and the club should go all out for who he wants to bring in even if it means paying that bit extra

Speaking of left backs (also a right back) Jordy Gaspar is being linked again (mentioned July 2016) - plays for Lyon and also linked with Bayer Leverkusen last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Just spend the budget on mendy, mbappe and Lamar from Monaco. Mendy has one of the best crosses I've ever seen from a left back

• Advertisement

hefferboi wrote: »
    Just spend the budget on mendy, mbappe and Lamar from Monaco. Mendy has one of the best crosses I've ever seen from a left back

Proved right. ;)

and there's your proof!

Monaco will lose two or three of their best this summer I reckon! All to PSG ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We wouldn't have the money to even get to the table for a bidding war that's going to happen this summer for the Monaco players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

We wouldn't have the money to even get to the table for a bidding war that's going to happen this summer for the Monaco players.

We should at least try to agree a deal in principality though.

We should at least try to agree a deal in principality though.

MV5BNDI0NjU3MTc3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDc5MTMyMDI@._V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Wouldn't want to blow 50m on some players from Monaco that are only going to do well for their first 5 games and then not start ahead of Jesse Lingard anyway, metaphorically speaking at least.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Probably good for us if City go out I'd imagine? Damage morale and all that. Hopefully Aguero or de Bruyne will strain a hamstring or run into each other and get concussion or something. That would be nice.

5starpool wrote: »
    Probably good for us if City go out I'd imagine? Damage morale and all that. Hopefully Aguero or de Bruyne will strain a hamstring or run into each other and get concussion or something. That would be nice.

Wishing a head injury on someone is a bit nasty tbh. A bad concussion can end your career.

brevity wrote: »

Monaco's academy has long been a very good one and they boosted it after the hot money dried up.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Wishing a head injury on someone is a bit nasty tbh. A bad concussion can end your career.

Yes, I want them to end their careers, that''s exactly what I said. Well done.

Yes, that's what he really wants. A career ending head injury. Perhaps even a decapitation to make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

But Liverpool would still win yea????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Sounds like ferguson "he could have killed him" when Williams kicked a ball at van persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Another assist for your ma.

Monaco have the most goals scored by an European top league team, and by a massive margin. They're 90 or so and the closest is 55-60. Its mental.

Monaco have the most goals scored by an European top league team, and by a massive margin. They're 90 or so and the closest is 55-60. Its mental.

Barcelona have 77 league goals scored.

5starpool wrote: »
    Barcelona have 77 league goals scored.

Well, that's me wrong.

Must have misread whatever post I saw on reddit last week. Wonderful work from myself.

Edit: This was it. Must have just remembered Liverpools number.

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/838508260827201537

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

City going out has to be good for Liverpool on Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

murpho999 wrote: »
    City going out has to be good for Liverpool on Sunday?

Why? Will probably just make them more focused on the league now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement