Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Iheanacho no thanks!, already have enough back up strikers in Ings and Origi, Sturridge is probably gone so replace him with proven quality please.

I actually think Iheanacho would be a great pick-up if he became available. He's 20 years old and already has 12 goals and 5 assists from 42 league appearances (thats 12 starts and 30 sub appearances).

Most people will agree with you that Sturridge is gone this summer. Its the sad reality that Ings career may be ruined by injury now. Woodburn (if we can even include him in this discussion) is still a while away from being PL ready.

Origi and Iheanacho would be a great pair of young strikers to learn under Klopp. Even with them, we do probably still need someone a bit more proven for them to understudy to.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jayop wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering about that. Unusual for Barney to get into that speculation thing, especially in the middle of an article that's not using the Liverpool link as a headline.

For me he seems to have developed into a truly top class keeper. Just turned 30 and you'd imagine he's got 5/6 really good years left in him. I'd hate if you got him tbh.

He's 30? Thought he was younger than that for some reason. Notold for a keeper obviously though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

5starpool wrote: »
    He's 30? Thought he was younger than that for some reason. Notold for a keeper obviously though.

Ya, turned 30 in November. He's had a journeyed career after leaving City as a young lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Don't think any goalie would look good with the lack of a DM of decent quality and CBs that can do the basics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I had ebola stew earlier, It really wasn't that bad.
    Ah, first you eat it, then it eats you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Don't think any goalie would look good with the lack of a DM of decent quality and CBs that can do the basics

And no full backs because they play as wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

brevity wrote: »
    ****ing Souness.
    He also turned down the opportunity to sign Cantona before he went to Leeds.

Cantona had some problems with the French FA and wanted to move to England and join Liverpool in particular (on the recommendation of Gerrard Houllier). Michel Platini was the national coach of France and spoke to Souness about the possibility of the move. Souness never entertained the idea. He has said that he didn't want to sign a trouble maker. Roy Evans has said that at that point Souness already had his mind set on signing Paul Stewart from Tottenham to partner Ian Rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Michael Owen just said live on BT that we won the EL last season.

Seriously could someone at BT just sack him.

Talisman wrote: »
    He also turned down the opportunity to sign Cantona before he went to Leeds.

Cantona had some problems with the French FA and wanted to move to England and join Liverpool in particular (on the recommendation of Gerrard Houllier). Michel Platini was the national coach of France and spoke to Souness about the possibility of the move. Souness never entertained the idea. He has said that he didn't want to sign a trouble maker. Roy Evans has said that at that point Souness already had his mind set on signing Paul Stewart from Tottenham to partner Ian Rush.

Like, how different could the last 25 years have been had you signed those two players. Fine margins!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Ya, turned 30 in November. He's had a journeyed career after leaving City as a young lad.

I actually remember him coming into the City side. Whoever their number one was (Given and Hart hadn't signed yet afaik) got injured and he played a run at the start of the season, keeping a heap of clean sheets for Sven Goran Eriksson.

Micah Richards in the defence with Richard Dunne...

Wiki tells me that it was 4 clean sheets in 7 games, coming against United, West Ham, Derby and Villa. He also got a MotM award against Arsenal in that run. Handled himself well.

He followed Sven around a bit after then I think - signed him for Notts County and Leicester, with a spell at Leeds in between.

Anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Like, how different could the last 25 years have been had you signed those two players. Fine margins!

There's heaps of stories like that about Liverpool.

Probably about a lot of clubs but Liverpool have the edge on making head scratching decisions.

brevity wrote: »
    There's heaps of stories like that about Liverpool.

Probably about a lot of clubs but Liverpool have the edge on making head scratching decisions.

I know Wenger "could have" signed pretty much everyone, but these stories about Liverpool ring truer. You can imagine all these players really wanting to play for ye in the early 90's given you were the undoubted big dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Despite Aguero being a great finisher, he is a DIY and most of the time ends up in the corner with nowhere to go. He's not a fan of passing at all, or else he doesn't see the options available.
    I doubt he would fit in with us.

he likes a good injury spell too

I know Wenger "could have" signed pretty much everyone, but these stories about Liverpool ring truer. You can imagine all these players really wanting to play for ye in the early 90's given you were the undoubted big dogs.
    The truth is that Man Utd's success can be attributed to Liverpool - despite what some would have you believe, Alex Ferguson was merely an innocent bystander.

In addition to Cantona and Schmeichel, Liverpool also gift wrapped the following players for Ferguson:

Teddy Sheringham - the Liverpool board wouldn't sanction the move because he was over 28 years old.

Cristiano Ronaldo - Liverpool were offered the player for £4M but haggled over the agents fee.

Nemanja Vidic - Benitez wanted him and the clubs agreed a fee. Parry balked at the agent fees and instead Liverpool signed Martin Skrtel whose transfer was £2M cheaper.

The truth is that Man Utd's success can be attributed to Liverpool - despite what some would have you believe, Alex Ferguson was merely an innocent bystander.

In addition to Cantona and Schmeichel, Liverpool also gift wrapped the following players for Ferguson:

Teddy Sheringham - the Liverpool board wouldn't sanction the move because he was over 28 years old.

Cristiano Ronaldo - Liverpool were offered the player for £4M but haggled over the agents fee.

Nemanja Vidic - Benitez wanted him and the clubs agreed a fee. Parry balked at the agent fees and instead Liverpool signed Martin Skrtel whose transfer was £2M cheaper.

Had you said "some of United's success" or an element of it then you'd have a point. Listing a few players who might have signed for you doesn't really mean we wouldn't have gotten other players or still had a good amount of success with the players we had.

• Advertisement

Had you said "some of United's success" or an element of it then you'd have a point.
    Where would the fun in that be?

Where would the fun in that be?

Big time. :)

I had posted before I decked it was a bit tongue in cheek. Thank God I didn't go full psycho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sessegnon seems to be tonight's name in the summer transfer BINGO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Be a great covering option at left back and as a mirror-Mane for the left wing. Game changing bench option. Great at full back when we're breaking teams down - though i'm not sure how much i'd trust him if under a lot of defensive pressure... but he's very young still. Electric though.

Him and Dolberg would be great options to bring depth and youth, then bring in a senior CB, CM, and Striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Definitely take him but he's be one for the future. Would still need another more experienced LB in the Summer. Can't expect Milner approaching 32 to do another full season in such a demanding role.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Be a great covering option at left back and as a mirror-Mane for the left wing. Game changing bench option. Great at full back when we're breaking teams down - though i'm not sure how much i'd trust him if under a lot of defensive pressure... but he's very young still. Electric though.

Him and Dolberg would be great options to bring depth and youth, then bring in a senior CB, CM, and Striker.
    He's only 16/17 so he still has a lot of developing to do.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about signing any senior players unless they're cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I would love to see the training sessions of Vidic with Torres :)

He's only 16/17 so he still has a lot of developing to do.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about signing any senior players unless they're cheap.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to move for a few 30m level players, just like last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Had you said "some of United's success" or an element of it then you'd have a point. Listing a few players who might have signed for you doesn't really mean we wouldn't have gotten other players or still had a good amount of success with the players we had.

To be fair we pulled the plug on signing Fergie aswell.................:D

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all surprised to move for a few 30m level players, just like last year.
    Hopefully but the press speculation is linking us with a lot of "understudies". We need to sign players that will put first team positions under pressure next season not backup players that can fill the role in a few years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Hopefully but the press speculation is linking us with a lot of "understudies". We need to sign players that will put first team positions under pressure next season not backup players that can fill the role in a few years time.

This /\ big time

Its time we start pushing our first teamers and if we end up with Coutinho and Firmino on the bench because our new players are performing better then so be it.

We cant keep signing back up players or players for the future. We need first team players for almost every position. At various points throughout the season we were exposed in positions. Whether it was Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Matip, Hendo, our left back spot and our keepers.............. it was at times form of players and other times injuries or away at the afcon. We have a lot of work to do in the transfer window.

Klopp says the right stuff and often acknowledges the things I just mentioned, but I just hope he puts it right and signs the right players regardless of cash. Last season we made a profit. I am not a fan who just wants us to spend money but we obviously have some after saving last year, so lets use it and get in the players we need.

I say we raid Leicester and get Vardy (be great when we are on the break) and Kasper. Try to get in Toure from City and get in a left back. Id be happy with that

Mr.H wrote: »
    This /\ big time

Its time we start pushing our first teamers and if we end up with Coutinho and Firmino on the bench because our new players are performing better then so be it.

We cant keep signing back up players or players for the future.

I agree we need to be buying first teamers, but to be fair, we signed 4 players for the first team last summer. It's difficult to do more than that without totally destabilizing what's there and taking a few months to get going. And 3 of those 4 have been amongst our very best players, so we've chosen to spend our bigger money well. For only one (Karius) to be shifted back to bench duty is pretty good going really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Happy Paddys Day lads.

We really need some Irish in the squad! Robbie Brady/Shane long?:)

Some Scottish even, We generally win stuff when there is a bit of Celtic personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mr.H wrote: »
    This /\ big time

We cant keep signing back up players or players for the future. We need first team players for almost every position. At various points throughout the season we were exposed in positions. Whether it was Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Matip, Hendo, our left back spot and our keepers.............. it was at times form of players and other times injuries or away at the afcon. We have a lot of work to do in the transfer window.

Klopp says the right stuff and often acknowledges the things I just mentioned, but I just hope he puts it right and signs the right players regardless of cash. Last season we made a profit. I am not a fan who just wants us to spend money but we obviously have some after saving last year, so lets use it and get in the players we need.

I say we raid Leicester and get Vardy (be great when we are on the break) and Kasper. Try to get in Toure from City and get in a left back. Id be happy with that

I'd rather the club made a profit.

Fair play to Keane for calling out Mourinhios spoofing.

Slow news day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Happy Paddys Day lads.

We really need some Irish in the squad! Robbie Brady/Shane long?:)

Some Scottish even, We generally win stuff when there is a bit of Celtic personal.

Could try for that Irish Scot Ray Houghton just to make sure. He was so good he never played for a Scottish side.

Can't believe anyone would mention Toure unless it's Kolo of course.

A very young, obviously distraught, in the midst of an existential crisis, and angry at the world me, very briefly considered supporting Aston Villa when Ray left.

How different things could've been then....3 years ago I'd have been hoping we lost to Man City to stop Liverpool winning the title, and now I'd be wallowing in the Championship wishing our next manager was sacked before he'd even taken over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Turtyturd wrote: »
    A very young, obviously distraught, in the midst of an existential crisis, and angry at the world me, very briefly considered supporting Aston Villa when Ray left.

How different things could've been then....3 years ago I'd have been hoping we lost to Man City to stop Liverpool winning the title, and now I'd be wallowing in the Championship wishing our next manager was sacked before he'd even taken over.

All of that happened in a parallel universe you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

...considered supporting Aston Villa ...

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

We?

All of that happened in a parallel universe you know?

Yep, somewhere out there evil Turtyturd has tears streaming down his face into his evil goatee.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Fair play to Keane for calling out Mourinhios spoofing.

Slow news day

Assistant manager for ROI .... he'd take any chance to get name in paper these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yep, somewhere out there evil Turtyturd has tears streaming down his face into his evil goatee.
    I thought that was our Turtyturd:confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I thought that was our Turtyturd:confused:

:pac:

Our?

• Advertisement

Can called up to the German squad.

Still light at right back I take it?

Augeo wrote: »
    Assistant manager for ROI .... he'd take any chance to get name in paper these days.

I think what he said was fairly spot on though, maybe a bit ott about the club being bigger than him but otherwise its nice to see someone actually call JM out from time to time.....

Still light at right back I take it?

Looks that way. Not big on German football but they seem to have called up a few players that have played at RB but not as their "first choice" position.

Since Lahm quit it's become their bogey position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

If Leicester win the Champions League and Man Utd win the Europa League and finish outside the top 4 then this happens

1st 2nd 3rd and Leicester go into the group stages of next seasons CL Man Utd will go into the play offs.

4th, 5th and 6th will go into the Europa League as FA Cup looks like it will be won by a team already in Europe.

What happens if it's just Utd winning EL and finishing outside top 4 - will England potentially have 5 teams in CL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Vanolder wrote: »
    What happens if it's just Utd winning EL and finishing outside top 4 - will England potentially have 5 teams in CL?

Yes, but not 6.

Only way 4th misses out is if BOTH Leciester and Man U go all the way and both finish outside the top 4.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

TAW doing a Xabi 50 minute interview will be online later and i'll make it available here :)

So this is what we've become? :p

Anyone want to talk about the City game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

So this is what we've become? :p

Anyone want to talk about the City game?

Wijnaldum to score or assist and a one one draw after kdb equalises in the dying embers kd the game.

In all honesty I'd be disappointed with anything less than a pint with a weeks rest and them being on a downbeat and our good record against them and all of the top 6

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement