Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'll take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

yes ,cans best game for us i feel,immense today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Me ****ing underpants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fair result all round.

Oliver was sh1t again and that influenced the flow of the game.

Also I'm liking Can & Wijnaldum in the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Poor execution.

Lovely midfield play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Good result, decent performance. Both sides had great chances to win it, both could have had penos that weren't given. Fair result really.

Thought Emre was superb today tbf. Wasn't happy to see him sitting so deep on his own but he did well and he drove forward well too.

Yeah Can was really excellent, best I've seen from him this season. It's just a shame he can't tailor his game to perform well against smaller teams too, he's much more suited to playing attacking teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pity. Could've won it but a fair result I think.

Lallana had an excellent game. It's unfortunate that it'll be remembered for the miss. The build up was oustanding and it deserved a goal.

Can was brilliant as well. Himself Gini and Firmino all worth a MOTM shout.

When you see the kinds of chances we can make for ourselves through teamwork, it's both frustrating and promising that just one lad up front with more composure in front of goal would make us go from a good attack to absolutely world class.

If Chelsea got those kinds of chances and they'd bury City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fair result all round.

Oliver was sh1t again and that influenced the flow of the game.

Really let the crowd get to him as the game went on. Just happy the Milner incident happened before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Can MOTM for me.

Get that contract sorted FSG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Got away with that a little i think, i'll take a point.

The acres and acres of space deBryne had on the left was criminal and we are very lucky he only exploited it once, Milner was'nt great today but he was defending the whole left side of the pitch pretty much by himself.

Can and Gini our best players today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's so frustrating how we played at 1-1, that's exactly what we should have been doing at 1-0 but instead kept attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Gbear wrote: »
    Pity. Could've won it but a fair result I think.

Lallana had an excellent game. It's unfortunate that it'll be remembered for the miss. The build up was oustanding and it deserved a goal.

Can was brilliant as well. Himself Gini and Firmino all worth a MOTM shout.

When you see the kinds of chances we can make for ourselves through teamwork, it's both frustrating and promising that just one lad up front with more composure in front of goal would make us go from a good attack to absolutely world class.

If Chelsea got those kinds of chances and they'd bury City.

The problem is there aren't many clinical strikers out there that would help us create those chances. Our non clinical forward (Bobbie) is so key to us playing like this. Chelsea wouldn't create these kind of chances because Costa wouldn't be involved in the link up play so deep like Firmino often is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Clyne was brilliant today, kept Sane quiet for most of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Happy with a point. Midfield did well. Lallana covers some ground but that miss....really would have been so important. A lot of positives . Our good run v top6 continues. Coutinho still not up to speed at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Our record vs top half of the table:
    W9 D5

Our record vs bottom half of the table:
    W7 D3 L5

Top half games left: Everton, Stoke, West Brom, Southampton

Bottom half games left: Bournemouth, Palace, Watford, West Ham, Middlesborough

Its going to be so tight whether we finish in a CL spot or not.

• Advertisement

Milner saying the tackle was 50/50. :D

It's so frustrating how we played at 1-1, that's exactly what we should have been doing at 1-0 but instead kept attacking.

The goal didn't come from a counter attack where we were out of position tho. We played fine at 1-0. In fact for a good while we looked more likely to score a 2nd. Then Pep made a clever change, Milner didnt adjust to it (he's wrecked btw) and an amazing ball in.

We conceded more chances when we started sitting deeper and counter attacking. We're not good at defending deep. We don't practice it (since its not our style) and it shows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Clyne needs to be dropped
    mav79 wrote: »

Love it when we all agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Clyne needs to be dropped

He is too good defensively to be dropped imo, at least for the games against the bigger teams. Against the smaller sides where we will have most of the possession I could understand an argument for someone else playing RB, but definitely not for the tougher games.
    I thought Can was our Motm today, which is all the more impressive considering how early he got booked.

There was a 10-15 minute period before Yaya was taken off that City couldn't care less, we should have torn them apart.

Didn't think Origi was nearly enough of a presence when he came on, there was a ball played down the wing right at the end, Origi about a yard behind Otamendi, who'd been on the pitch 85 minutes longer, and he was completely outpaced to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Clyne was grand for me.

Origi deserves to stay on the bench.

Klavan still looks bang average.

Carragher would make a great manager. :rolleyes:

That miss is going to haunt me. I've never seen one as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Did Lallana think he was offside or what. He seemed to stop or something. What a chance.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Did Lallana think he was offside or what. He seemed to stop or something. What a chance.

I actually thought that's what happened. Firmino's touch was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

mav79 wrote: »

Clyne was woeful. It was a poor performance altogether really. Can, Mignolet and Wijnaldum played well enough but the game was there to be won and we let it pass us by. The last 20 minutes were painful, sitting back, waiting to be picked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'd say you'd all have taken 7 points from the last 9.

I thought Clyne was solid enough. Definitely not woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Clyne was woeful.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jayop wrote: »
    I'd say you'd all have taken 7 points from the last 9.

Yeah but we thought the dropped points would be to Burnley. A draw was a good result based on the last 15 minutes, but I wouldn't have taken it before the match.

• Advertisement

We've managed to now go unbeaten home and away to every one of our direct rivals this season. It just shows how many really poor results we've had that we're still barely in 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would have taken a point before the game but still think we could have won it. That Lallana was crazy.

Anyhow, this is in our hands now despite Utd fans gloating about their games in hand.

We have only teams outside the top 6 left (I know) whilst they must play Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal. They will drop points.

We just need to make sure we drop less and learn to beat the smaller teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Clynes attacking play is very poor this year, the ball always seems to be stuck under his feet or he is stopping and playing the ball back to Matip. But he is solid defensively, which is what we are crying out for. Very few games go by where Clyne is at fault for our defensive woes.

You'd be expecting them to drop points against City and Chelsea at least.

Niall Quinn says Otamendi doesn't foul Mane because he "doesn't break his stride." Didn't know it was a rule that you could trip people as long as you did it naturally.

The problem is there aren't many clinical strikers out there that would help us create those chances. Our non clinical forward (Bobbie) is so key to us playing like this. Chelsea wouldn't create these kind of chances because Costa wouldn't be involved in the link up play so deep like Firmino often is.

But they do score loads of goals on the break. Those are the chances we make the biggest mess of.

We had plenty of 3v4s or better that we couldn't turn into proper attempts - poor passing, with the wrong weight or flat rather than being able to run on to, the wrong movement, execution, holding on to the ball too long.

Firmino and Mane weren't offering much of anything in the final twenty minutes because they were so knackered and that was the time when we needed pace and composure on the ball.

Origi did alright but he wasn't getting the ball in dangerous areas, was often left isolated because everyone was knackered and couldn't quite give him the support he needed and didn't have the kind of ability that non-tired Mane did for running at defenders.

But if I was going to bench anyone for a striker it'd be Coutinho. I don't think he's anywhere near as important to the side as his talent suggests he should be.
    He was solid enough today; tidy, good set pieces, ran around the requisite amount, but didn't really do anything to break the game for us.

And we don't need the gegenpressing as much against teams who sit deep, so Lallana and Firmino could be swapped out in those circumstances. In those cirucmstances what's paramount is cutting edge and composure in and around the box.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Would have taken a point before the game but still think we could have won it. That Lallana was crazy.

Anyhow, this is in our hands now despite Utd fans gloating about their games in hand.

We have only teams outside the top 6 left (I know) whilst they must play Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal. They will drop points.

We just need to make sure we drop less and learn to beat the smaller teams.

They also have Everton and city away to play.

Henderson fit for Everton, anything to be said for bringing him in for Coutinho?

The goal didn't come from a counter attack where we were out of position tho. We played fine at 1-0. In fact for a good while we looked more likely to score a 2nd. Then Pep made a clever change, Milner didnt adjust to it (he's wrecked btw) and an amazing ball in.

Is it that Milner's wrecked or was he being overrated at the start of the season?

He is getting exposed a bit more now, perhaps, but going forward I think it's been the same story for most of the season.
    Poor crossing to nobody, no pace to run in behind, can't keep up with the pace of the game to the same degree Clyne can, isn't that great a tackler (should've been sent off about 4 times today).

Nice to have someone who you can put your house on for pens though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We had great chances to win, but so did they.
    A bit of luck either way could have seen a win for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Point is a fair result.

Its a shame we cant bench Coutinho as he has been poor for a while now. Not too impressed with Klavan today either but overall I think the team done well.

6 of the last 9 at home. You would have to be confident enough.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Think it's 5 at home

Your right West ham is away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

It was great to see so few comments on the match thread, the game was too entertaining to be multitasking which doesn't happen too often. It would fill match of the day on it's own with talking points. Great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Your right West ham is away.

Those 4 away games will decide our top 4 fate. Our home form is generally excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

6 of the last 9 at home. You would have to be confident enough.

Yeah our home for is excellent to be fair. Happy with the result today. Should have got at least one more penalty in the first half and Lallana missed a sitter.

Good to see Can playing well. I think Henderson used against the small teams and can against attacking teams will work.

Hoping United do exactly what we did last season and put all their effort into a Europa League run and dropping points all over the place in the league. United and Arsenal are the two teams we need to finish above.

Gbear wrote: »
    Is it that Milner's wrecked or was he being overrated at the start of the season?

He is getting exposed a bit more now, perhaps, but going forward I think it's been the same story for most of the season.
    Poor crossing to nobody, no pace to run in behind, can't keep up with the pace of the game to the same degree Clyne can, isn't that great a tackler (should've been sent off about 4 times today).

Nice to have someone who you can put your house on for pens though.

I think he's just wrecked. Earlier in the season he was great at creating space for Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana with clever one touch passing. He's not getting into those positions enough now as he knows he can't get back. We'll defo be buying a left back in the summer anyway.

I think a LOT of our problems up top are solved with another pacey wideman who can score. Mane on the right, Mane v2 on the left. Coutinho can take Lalannas place in the first 11 but when do we ever have our 1st eleven fit anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd sooner have Lallana playing than Coutinho right now.

A decent point though that miss was annoying, plus Firmino (I think forcing a great save from Willy "Kick it out" Caballero). City should have scored a few more as well but composure was at a premium all round.

Just a word for the set piece defending, sure there were a few last ditch moments but the corners were well dealt with today overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Henderson will come in for Coutinho against Everton with Lallana moved out to the left.

He is off form & will be back late as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement