Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If Henderson does replace Coutinho then I'd like to see him played further up the pitch than usual, sticking him beside Can is suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

2nd is still very much on. Spurs have no Kane and need to play United and Arsenal, and Leicester away.
    Facing Hull and Swansea away while they fight to survive will be awkward too.

The one thing about the so called small awkward teams we have to play is that they have nothing left to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd sooner have Lallana playing than Coutinho right now.

A decent point though that miss was annoying, plus Firmino (I think forcing a great save from Willy "Kick it out" Caballero). City should have scored a few more as well but composure was at a premium all round.

Just a word for the set piece defending, sure there were a few last ditch moments but the corners were well dealt with today overall.

Special mention to Bobby here as well, put in a good few clearances from set pieces.

Is Mignolet doing enough to be the keeper next season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is Mignolet doing enough to be the keeper next season.

The last 2 or 3 games he has looked like the keeper we need him to be. If it was him or Hart I'd keep him anyhow. Ideally we'd upgrade both Mignolet and Karius though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd expect 6 or 7 beat arsenal and Burnley and draw or lose to city. We are very good at home and the chances of Burnley beating us are slim. Away from home to teams like Burnley is a different story and I'd be fearful of dropping points in all of our away games that we have left.

7 from the last 3 if only I was a betting man.9 games to go 5 at home and 4 away stoke and wba both away are the two games I fear the most. 18 pts from 27 should be enough for top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gbear wrote: »
    Is it that Milner's wrecked or was he being overrated at the start of the season?

He is getting exposed a bit more now, perhaps, but going forward I think it's been the same story for most of the season.
    Poor crossing to nobody, no pace to run in behind, can't keep up with the pace of the game to the same degree Clyne can, isn't that great a tackler (should've been sent off about 4 times today).

Nice to have someone who you can put your house on for pens though.

That's not what I see when I watch him.

I see someone with efficient distribution, great crossing in either foot and solid in the air/tackle.

I wish we had a better back up this season because there are times id have moved Milner into the midfield /wing if someone more reliable than Moreno was there to take his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

murpho999 wrote: »
    Would have taken a point before the game but still think we could have won it. That Lallana was crazy.

Anyhow, this is in our hands now despite Utd fans gloating about their games in hand.

We have only teams outside the top 6 left (I know) whilst they must play Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal. They will drop points.

We just need to make sure we drop less and learn to beat the smaller teams.

I would rather have points on the board rather than games in hands when one of them is a derby game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm more confident than ever that Klopp will get it right. Today was further proof that we can go toe-to-toe with anyone. We just need a few tweaks in certain positions. Klopp simply MUST be backed in the transfer market in the summer.

LB, CB, striker should be our absolute priorities. Potentially goalkeeper and another CM if we've the resources.

Wijnaldum is fast becoming my favourite player. Just outstanding today. Can wasn't far behind him, and showed more glimpses of what he could become.

Mané scares the shít out of most defenders he faces.

Our biggest problem is the lack of someone who is clinical in front of goal. It's seriously undermining us. If we've a scorer Aguero, Ibra, Costa or even Defoe today, we probably win. I'm fed up of the likes of Firmino, Lallana, even Mané and Coutinho sometimes, dawdling in the box, or needlessly passing it and missing chances. Sturridge would be a solution of sorts if he wasn't made of wet cardboard.

Recruitment needs to be on the money this summer. Klopp has got this lot playing above their station IMO, and must be trusted to get the improvements we need to really challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

5 key areas we need players and are a must when we secure champions league. Cb,lb,cm,LW and a center forward. Manolas from Roma or nacho from real Madrid is solid, hector or maybe coentrao, oaredes as a cm or keita. Lacazette as striker. And I'll let klooo find another mane

• Advertisement

Great game, pity not to win.

That was our 10th PL game of 2017, 13 pts from those 10 games.
    Most of those 13pts gained from games against Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal & City :eek:

Next 8 games are handy on paper so we are really in with a great chance of top4.

Utd only 4 pts behind with 2 games in hand is mildly disconcerting too.

Can't understand how a few of the players seem legless, they've not had a tough March so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'm more confident than ever that Klopp will get it right. Today was further proof that we can go toe-to-toe with anyone. We just need a few tweaks in certain positions. Klopp simply MUST be backed in the transfer market in the summer.

LB, CB, striker should be our absolute priorities. Potentially goalkeeper and another CM if we've the resources.

Wijnaldum is fast becoming my favourite player. Just outstanding today. Can wasn't far behind him, and showed more glimpses of what he could become.

Mané scares the shít out of most defenders he faces.

Our biggest problem is the lack of someone who is clinical in front of goal. It's seriously undermining us. If we've a scorer Aguero, Ibra, Costa or even Defoe today, we probably win. I'm fed up of the likes of Firmino, Lallana, even Mané and Coutinho sometimes, dawdling in the box, or needlessly passing it and missing chances. Sturridge would be a solution of sorts if he wasn't made of wet cardboard.

Recruitment needs to be on the money this summer. Klopp has got this lot playing above their station IMO, and must be trusted to get the improvements we need to really challenge.

I'm sure the owners are going to release funds but only if we make CL. They are being very prudent. It really is a catch 22. You need the squad to get to CL but need to spend your CL money before you get it.

We've been here before and ended up with a huge debt and some dodgy owners. Consistently being in top 4 will allow us get the cheaper demi-gods looking for their break and make some money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He has done well last few games but don't kid yourselves we need a keeper. First priority IMO.

Augeo wrote: »
    Great game, pity not to win.

That was our 10th PL game of 2017, 13 pts from those 10 games.
    Most of those 13pts gained from games against Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal & City :eek:

Next 8 games are handy on paper so we are really in with a great chance of top4.

Utd only 4 pts behind with 2 games in hand is mildly disconcerting too.

Can't understand how a few of the players seem legless, they've not had a tough March so far.

This is what worries me.

it's the ones that look ok on paper that we struggle with :o

He has done well last few games but don't kid yourselves we need a keeper. First priority IMO.

Absolutely. There's a clanger in there waiting to come out. He'll never remove that from his game.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    This is what worries me.

it's the ones that look ok on paper that we struggle with :o

true, but most of them are at Anfield :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

No club will win the league with a keeper like Mignolet.

I'd put him at the same level as Almunia who used to play for Arsenal.

Not good enough for a top 4 side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mig is not costing us points at the moment but he's not exactly bailing us out either. I dont want to criticise him too harshly but if we want to challenge for trophies a new GK is a must.

Augeo wrote: »
    true, but most of them are at Anfield :)

Away to West Brom, Watford, Stoke, West Ham (the away games we have left) are the classic home bankers we've sadly come to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I feel for Lallana after that. All anyone will remember is the awful miss but I thought he was fantastic today. His ability to take the ball in tight spaces in the heart of midfield,take a couple of players out of it with a turn and start an attack is a joy to watch. It would give you a heart attack at times but it's vital to what we do.

I said before the game I'd be happy with a point and the way it played out I'm standing by that.

I said a couple of weeks ago I thought Michael Oliver was the best ref in England and I stand by that as well but I don't know what the hell he was at today...he got practically every decision wrong but it hurt both sides so can't blame that for not winning.

Overall an absolutely fantastic game and a draw was fair enough.

5starpool wrote: »
    Away to West Brom, Watford, Stoke, West Ham (the away games we have left) are the classic home bankers we've sadly come to expect.

THey all have nothing left in life to bother with. Spurs on the other hand face Hull and Swansea away, two teams who would sell their mother for a point.
    Hopefully those no man's land teams we play fall over like a drunk man on a bicycle.

I remember Newcastle had nothing to play for last season and battered Spurs 5-1, two from Gini, nothing can be taken for granted.

THey all have nothing left in life to bother with. Spurs on the other hand face Hull and Swansea away, two teams who would sell their mother for a point.
    Hopefully those no man's land teams we play fall over like a drunk man on a bicycle.

On paper yes, but getting one over on Liverpool is generally all the motivation they need. Look at West Brom vs Arsenal, it'll be similar when we play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

niallo27 wrote: »
    6 of the last 9 at home. You would have to be confident enough.

Yeah, fixtures look good actually!

1 Apr - Liverpool V Everton (April fools)
    5 Apr - Liverpool V Bournemouth
    8 Apr - Stoke City V Liverpool
    16 Apr - West Brom V Liverpool
    23 Apr - Liverpool V Crystal Palace
    1 May - Watford V Liverpool
    6 May - Liverpool V Southampton
    13 May - West Ham V Liverpool
    21 May - Liverpool V Middlesbrough

Can today, one of his best games for Liverpool. Also featuring 3 or 4 of Fernandinho's ten thousand fouls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

No club will win the league with a keeper like Mignolet.

I'd put him at the same level as Almunia who used to play for Arsenal.

Not good enough for a top 4 side.

He's been good the last few games, deserves his spot at the moment.

Snatch of the Day now .

That Silva chance that he blew over bar, Can just watched on, geez very poor.

Klavan more concerned with Augero than the cross, was easy to defend cross had he done just that.

Lallana had whole crowd on his back when he missed, Liverpool fans too, they were all united in crowd at that point, all laughing , some at him, some because of him .

• Advertisement

I can't believe Danny Murphy and shearer both think the mane thing wasn't a penalty.

ANYWHERE else on the pitch if I run right behind someone who has the ball and their legs get caught in mine - it's a FOUL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hard to give that as a peno, just a clash of running legs. There was no tackle or intent.

Hard to give that as a peno, just a clash of running legs. There was no tackle.

There is no such thing though, if your legs impede mine when I have the ball then you are fouling me.

It doesn't require a deliberate movement of your foot towards me to tackle.

Both teams denied penalties that were understandable not given I feel. At least they were both denied rather than one being given. There were a lot of big mistakes from Oliver today, but just the Toure challenge alone makes me question his decisions.

Hard to give that as a peno, just a clash of running legs. There was no tackle or intent.

Yea but he impeded the player as he went to strike the ball. You'd have to wonder why ref thought he would go down in that position, Ref saw nothing and gave nothing. He didn't see what happened, he just knew he saw nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »
    There is no such thing though, if your legs impede mine when I have the ball then you are fouling me.

It doesn't require a deliberate movement of your foot towards me to tackle.

Grabbed his arm also. In fairness though, the ref needs to be certain and it was tough to see from his position.

https://streamable.com/3x51k

There's nothing worse than a commentator describing a foul as accidental, as if somewhere in the rulebook it says the intention of player committing the foul needs to be known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm always amazed how fouling only happens to our team and not there's and that real time works in slow motion.

The U23s beat Hull on penos in the 1/8th of the Premier League Cup, (Marko Grujic played again) so are in the draw for the quarters with Norwich, Colchester, Brighton, Newcastle, Swansea, with two games still to be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Commentators are worse than refs with their inconsistent views..

It changes depending on who's playing,and the nationality of those involved. Hypocrites

I'm always amazed how fouling only happens to our team and not there's and that real time works in slow motion.

Cryptic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

All in all, a fair result I think. We played very well at times, and City were terrific at times themselves too.

On the pens, both sides should have had another, and both sides missed sitters (Aguero, Lallana).

All square, two fairly evenly matched teams on the day, playing good attacking football.

Origi was a weird one... did well early after he came on, but seemed to get lazy really quickly. Mane was outrunning him in the last 10 minutes.

<Edit> Side note - I really hate this "lets boo everyone who used to play for our club in the past" thing... like, I understand it in some cases depending on context, but it really shouldn't be the expected norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Good result, city haven't been amazing this year but a point away to them is nice. I couldn't shake the feeling they would go on and win after the equaliser so the draw was pleasing.
    At the start of the year I felt klopp had struck gold with playing firmino as a striker but as the season has wore on its clear we still need that 20+ goal a season striker like our rivals all have, still a tad annoying needing one considering we are top scorers in the league.
    I think if klopp can bring in another 3 players who contribute as much as mane/matip/wijnaldum we will push on again for next season but needless to say his biggest challenge is dealing with lesser opposition who stick men behind the ball and keep it tight.
    On paper (that phrase again) we should be hitting 70+ points by seasons end, usually a banker for champions league qualification but feel like it will be mid 70s this season. Should be an interesting end to the season, points on the board over games in hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Over the past year and a half Vardy's gotten numerous penalties where there was no intent and if there was a tackle he initiated it. Would've been nice to just get one. :D

Can see why he didn't give it but if he had the lads on sky would have been praising the ref for spotting the contact and saying it was a definite peno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

All for playing advantage but first fernandino and then silva pulled back players on the counter attack and the ref indicated advantage. Both should have got yellow cards and would have if it was blown up at the time. He never gave the yellow then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    <Edit> Side note - I really hate this "lets boo everyone who used to play for our club in the past" thing... like, I understand it in some cases depending on context, but it really shouldn't be the expected norm.

Couldn't understand why Milner was getting booed. He gave them a great half decade of service all over the pitch, covering up whatever gaps in their squad depth was there. Part of a team that won their first two titles. He played out his contract and left - why in the name of jaysus would they be booing him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

sword1 wrote:
    All for playing advantage but first fernandino and then silva pulled back players on the counter attack and the ref indicated advantage. Both should have got yellow cards and would have if it was blown up at the time. He never gave the yellow then.

This really bugs me when it happens. They get away with it as advantage is played and often the same player then picks up a yellow for another Cynical foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Thought wijnaldum and can were excellent yesterday. kept going till the last minute which was great to see. Can's best two games for us this season have both been away in manchester! As eveyone else has been saying, draw probably a fair result...could have been 5-5 in the end! but lallana....my god...what a miss. Cant wait to see who Klopp gets in the summer - feeling we're gonna buy big, and hopefully we'll have CL football to back us up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Draw is definitely fair looking back it and I'd have been happy with it before kick-off too. Naturally, the Lallana miss makes it a little harder to swallow, but when you consider the chances that Silva, Sterling and Aguero had, there were ample chances for City to put it to bed too.

As others have said, Can and Wijnaldum were great. Gini and Mané have been on another level to the rest of our squad lately so it's great to see that, hopefully it will continue.

Firmino and Coutinho haven't come near their early season form for some time now and that could have been the difference in some games recently so fingers crossed they can reverse that slide ASAP.

Feeling less secure with Milner at left-back every time I see him there, too...

We definitely need about 5-6 players in the summer, even just to boost our numbers. I'd like an equivalent to Mané on the left - that pace and clever movement on both sides would be very difficult to defend against and would give a lot of space for the likes of Firmino and Lallana to run into.

Now, I don't know where I'd be moving Coutinho to to account that but sure, that's what Klopp is for!!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Couldn't understand why Milner was getting booed. He gave them a great half decade of service all over the pitch, covering up whatever gaps in their squad depth was there. Part of a team that won their first two titles. He played out his contract and left - why in the name of jaysus would they be booing him?

I was half hoping he'd go mental celebrating when he scored because of this :p I was worried the crowd would get to him for the penalty but he was too cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

sword1 wrote: »

True, but Can got away with one in the first half, so ref was at least consistent. Can on a yellow early doors would have impacted his performance IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement