Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

noodler wrote: »
    I can't believe Danny Murphy and shearer both think the mane thing wasn't a penalty.

ANYWHERE else on the pitch if I run right behind someone who has the ball and their legs get caught in mine - it's a FOUL!
    Not a pen, or a foul for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not a pen, or a foul for me

Cool story Bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The mane penalty reminded me a bit of the Skrtel one on long a few years back. Skrtel going to clear the ball, long come in behind sticks his leg in and skrtel whacks him! Sort of similar with mane, he's through on goal and otamendi catches his foot/leg. He may not have meant it but it totally puts him off the shot. Definite penalty for me, more so than firmino's one...where clichy actually gets a touch on the ball! Milner's on sterling was a definite one too. Dunno how they didnt give that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Cool story Bro.

Nor me, Sterling penalty is a clear penalty, but sadly the referee doesn't have the advantage of 10 x replays.

Aguero is also a penalty with Matip clearly fouling him getting to the ball, this is one the assistant referee has to see.

The Firmino penalty was the correct decision.

All in all, Liverpool can count themsleves lucky that they didn't get two given against them.

Nor me, Sterling penalty is a clear penalty, but sadly the referee doesn't have the advantage of 10 x replays.

Aguero is also a penalty with Matip clearly fouling him getting to the ball, this is one the assistant referee has to see.

The Firmino penalty was the correct decision.

All in all, Liverpool can count themsleves lucky that they didn't get two given against them.

Its more the inability of pundits to agree it was a peno after the fact than being aggrieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The worst call is always going to be that Toure "tackle," he's lucky Can didn't make a meal of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

sword1 wrote: »
    All for playing advantage but first fernandino and then silva pulled back players on the counter attack and the ref indicated advantage. Both should have got yellow cards and would have if it was blown up at the time. He never gave the yellow then.

What was worse is he then let City have advantage when there was a foul by a Liverpool player when the ball went out of play he then went and booked that Liverpool player after letting the City players off with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The worst call is always going to be that Toure "tackle," he's lucky Can didn't make a meal of it.

Yes, an absolutely horrendous challenge. Can was prone on the ground and Toure lunges in and catches him on the chest. Can was lucky it wasn't his face or hair.
    A reckless a challenge you're ever going to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A Mourinhp coached team would have surrounded the referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yes, an absolutely horrendous challenge. Can was prone on the ground and Toure lunges in and catches him on the chest. Can was lucky it wasn't his face or hair.
    A reckless a challenge you're ever going to see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Burnley and City were two different games but Liverpool had to eek out a result in both when not playing to their best - It's a trait the team needed to develop and should stand to them going forward. Coutinho is slowly improving and Henderson is due back soon... 4th rightly there for the taking.

I was half hoping he'd go mental celebrating when he scored because of this :p I was worried the crowd would get to him for the penalty but he was too cool.

Can & milner, both showed great sportsmanship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Vanolder wrote: »
    Burnley and City were two different games but Liverpool had to eek out a result in both when not playing to their best - It's a trait the team needed to develop and should stand to them going forward. Coutinho is slowly improving and Henderson is due back soon... 4th rightly there for the taking.

Yes, I watch most Liverpool matches from behind the couch because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

It was just great seeing two top European managers sending their teams out to play attacking football yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Harry Wilson called up to the Wales senior squad for the Ireland game.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Fair play to Keane for calling out Mourinhios spoofing.

Slow news day

Klopp mentioned he agreed with Jose in relation to EL & PL fixture issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Augeo wrote: »
    Klopp mentioned he agreed with Jose in relation to EL & PL fixture issues.

Wasn't Keane talking about Mourinho constant moaning about travel arrangements, player fatigue, players collapsing along with the fixtures though? I think the point was they were playing fairly mediocre teams and have a strong enough squad to deal with it?

Fixture pile up is a valid but poor excuse if that makes sense. On one hand sometimes the breaks between games can be stupid short, but on the other hand a successfully built squad should be able to handle it against most sides. If you want to be successful as a club you need to have a prepared squad. Building the squad is the managers job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be honest it really doesnt and shouldnt matter what Jose says.

Fixture pile ups due to tv coverage and what not are a pain in the hole but I'd happily take that over not fighting for cup finals.

Jose makes excuses and I cant stand him. Never seen the "entertainment" that he brought. Just a Portuguese Wenger who is a bad loser and blames everyone else for his mistakes when the truth is he is a bully and a coward who will look for excuses in everything from fixture pile ups to doctors running onto the field.

That said, we shouldnt care what he thin ks or says because it doesnt affect us.

We are in a good position right now. We have Everton after the break and after that we have no team in the top 8 in our remaining 8 games. Now we have struggled at times to break these teams down but we have no excuses. 5 games at home and 4 away (including everton at home). My hope is that when we are playing these teams that they have nothing left to play for (Palace and boro's faiths should be cemented by then).

Then look at teams around us:

United: Arsenal Spurs and City all away. Add that to Everton and Chelsea at home.
    Then there is the fact that they have europa duty either side of Chelsea, the fact that if they get past Anderlecht they will have more pile up concerns and then look at their last 3 games of the season....... Arsenal away, spurs away before their fianl game home to palace.

City: Arsenal and Chelsea are their next two games both away. United is their only other big game but that could be a lot of points dropped.

Spurs: they dont actually have a bad run in. United and Arsenal both at home. Without Kane though they could easily drop points.

Arsenal: City Spurs United and Everton are their big games. That and the wenger situation make their plight look difficult.

Everton: they are not a threat

I really think we are in a good position but we need to defend like we did yesterday and start playing smart. Get our goal and then play on the counter while being willing to run the clock down. I would take nine 1-0 wins.

28 points left to play for and we are currently on 56. So obviously we will end up between 56 and 84. mid 70s should be enough to secure top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Happy birthday you stunning man. I'll always love you... even if you broke my heart.

https://youtu.be/r8cDvm26VYI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Mr.H wrote: »

Fixture pile ups due to tv coverage and what not are a pain in the hole but I'd happily take that over not fighting for cup finals.

Jose makes excuses and I cant stand him. Never seen the "entertainment" that he brought. Just a Portuguese Wenger who is a bad loser and blames everyone else for his mistakes when the truth is he is a bully and a coward who will look for excuses in everything from fixture pile ups to doctors running onto the field.

That said, we shouldnt care what he thin ks or says because it doesnt affect us.

We are in a good position right now. We have Everton after the break and after that we have no team in the top 8 in our remaining 8 games. Now we have struggled at times to break these teams down but we have no excuses. 5 games at home and 4 away (including everton at home). My hope is that when we are playing these teams that they have nothing left to play for (Palace and boro's faiths should be cemented by then).

United: Arsenal Spurs and City all away. Add that to Everton and Chelsea at home.
    Then there is the fact that they have europa duty either side of Chelsea, the fact that if they get past Anderlecht they will have more pile up concerns and then look at their last 3 games of the season....... Arsenal away, spurs away before their fianl game home to palace.

City: Arsenal and Chelsea are their next two games both away. United is their only other big game but that could be a lot of points dropped.

Spurs: they dont actually have a bad run in. United and Arsenal both at home. Without Kane though they could easily drop points.

Arsenal: City Spurs United and Everton are their big games. That and the wenger situation make their plight look difficult.

I really think we are in a good position but we need to defend like we did yesterday and start playing smart. Get our goal and then play on the counter while being willing to run the clock down. I would take nine 1-0 wins.

28 points left to play for and we are currently on 56. So obviously we will end up between 56 and 84. mid 70s should be enough to secure top 4

The three above us have a game in hand, the two below us two games in hand, going to be an interesting run in with a good few twists left yet

• Advertisement

Cool story Bro.

????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

????

He obviously means the post is basically nonsense . He's correct.

The three above us have a game in hand, the two below us two games in hand, going to be an interesting run in with a good few twists left yet

The games in hand are true of course but we do have an easier run in. It will be interesting to see how it goes but I do think they would take our league situation over ours in a heartbeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Couldn't understand why Milner was getting booed. He gave them a great half decade of service all over the pitch, covering up whatever gaps in their squad depth was there. Part of a team that won their first two titles. He played out his contract and left - why in the name of jaysus would they be booing him?

Said the same thing to the old man. He was a loyal servant and only left cos he couldnt get a game. Surely no one can question Milners character? Boggles the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Mr.H wrote: »

Also 3x9 is 27 in most leagues.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Also 3x9 is 27 in most leagues.

Whatever with your maths :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Matip had a fantastic game yesterday as well. Klopp's signings really stand out tbh.

Great to see Can have such a good game also.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He obviously means the post is basically nonsense . He's correct.

How so? Mane was running through, Otamendi chasing him, Mane went to shoot and kicked Otamendis leg.....never a pen. Is he as a defender expected to give Mane space to shoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

How so? Mane was running through, Otamendi chasing him, Mane went to shoot and kicked Otamendis leg.....never a pen. Is he as a defender expected to give Mane space to shoot?

It was a pen as soon as yer man put his hand on Mane's arm and deliberately pulled him back, never mind about the contact to the shooting leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He's not allowed to impede him with his body. Intention isn't the only factor.

You're not allowed to run around the place in a way that trips players or illegally blocks them from shooting.

There is precisely no difference between what Otamendi did and if he had kicked him on purpose inasmuch as whether it was a foul or not.
    The only difference between intent here is the extent of the punishment - no booking, yellow or red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Gbear wrote: »
    He's not allowed to impede him with his body. Intention isn't the only factor.

You're not allowed to run around the place in a way that trips players or illegally blocks them from shooting.

There is precisely no difference between what Otamendi did and if he had kicked him on purpose inasmuch as whether it was a foul or not.
    The only difference between intent here is the extent of the punishment - no booking, yellow or red.

But thats the point he didn't move to impede him or block him he went running for the ball and as mane challenged him for ball Mane kicked his leg. He had every right to be where he was and defend as he did it was a pure 50-50 Ball.

If you want to give penalty for every defender that holds a shoulder while going for the ball it would be one heck of a boring game.

jayo26 wrote: »
    But thats the point he didn't move to impede him or block him he went running for the ball and as mane challenged him for ball Mane kicked his leg. He had every right to be where he was and defend as he did it was a pure 50-50 Ball.

If you want to give penalty for every defender that holds a shoulder while going for the ball it would be one heck of a boring game.
    But it wasn't a 50-50 ball. Mane had the ball running through on goal.
    Bad decision from Otamendi to get so close while Mane was in front of him. It was a clear penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mane was in full control of the ball, and had been for the past 5 or 6 meters. He had already cut across Oteamendi, who had no chance of making any contact with the ball. He ran close enough behind Mane that his leg connected with Mane's stride. I can see why it wasn't given as it was hard to spot, but imo by the letter of the law, its a pen.

Wrong he held his shoulder without out making any attempt to play the ball it's a clear foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

MD1990 wrote: »
    But it wasn't a 50-50 ball. Mane had the ball running through on goal.
    Bad decision from Otamendi to get so close while Mane was in front of him. It was a clear penalty.

I thought Mane kicked the ball in front of him a good couple of Yards? Otamendi was running to get there and challenge for it?

I don't have a clip off hand to see how far the ball was in front of Mane. But if it's as far ahead as I think well then Otamendi had every right to challenge to get in front of him for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It was manes fault for not scoring he was just a tad to the left of otamendi whereas he should of Ben to the might of himso he would have had a clear swing of his boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

50-50 ball?

F*cking 'ell.

To me it's no different to this penalty that was given. Firmino swings for the ball and is clipped by the defender behind him on the back swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

FFS, Otamendi grabbed Mane's arm and ran into the back of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I thought Mane kicked the ball in front of him a good couple of Yards? Otamendi was running to get there and challenge for it?

I don't have a clip off hand to see how far the ball was in front of Mane. But if it's as far ahead as I think well then Otamendi had every right to challenge to get in front of him for it

From when Mane beat him in the footrace, maybe 15 meters or so before, the ball was never more than a yard from Mane's feet. Otamendi had been destroyed all ends up in the race as Mane sped past him, and by the time Mane went to strike, Otamendi was almost directly behind him, over his right shoulder. Mane swung to striker, and Otamendi caught him. At the same time, Otamendi had his arm stretched out in front of him, in the crook of Mane's elbow - but to be fair im not convinced that he actually exerted any pressure there.

But running close enough behind someone to impede them, without any chance of winning the ball, is a pen imo.

• Advertisement

In the Barca game last night Suarez has his shirt pulled by Mangala and goes down as soon as he feels the contact, Everyone agrees that it's a peno and sending off, I don't see any difference between pulling a shirt and pulling an arm the only difference is mane stays on his feet.

City have been changed by The FA for failing to control there players during the game.

He did after gaining about 4 yards on Otamendi in a flash.

He then stopped to shoot & Otamendi as a defender has to realise he can't interfere as he shoots or it is a foul.

Otamendi as a defender should have been looking to get ball to the goal line in case Mane rounded the keeper. Once Mane was in front he had no chance.

I cant believe the number of people who don't think it was a foul.

If someone runs across you and your stride clips them, then it's a foul.

You can't tell the ref I was just trying to keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

MD1990 wrote: »
    He did after gaining about 4 yards on Otamendi in a flash.

He then stopped to shoot & Otamendi as a defender has to realise he can't interfere as he shoots or it is a foul.

Otamendi as a defender should have been looking to get ball to the goal line in case Mane rounded the keeper. Once Mane was in front he had no chance.
    That's the thing, though. He did interfere and the foul wasn't given.

just one of those days, I guess.

Whatever about the ref getting it wrong, it was one of many he fcuked up for both sides, I can't believe that nearly every pundit who's spoken on the incident has said it's not a foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I cant believe the number of people who don't think it was a foul.

If someone runs across you and your stride clips them, then it's a foul.

You can't tell the ref I was just trying to keep up.

Alot of those that don't think it was a foul are not Liverpool fans and only having a laugh at everyone replying

Mane was a pen we were unlucky.

Sterling was a pen and in the same play Aguero was a pen City can count themselves unluckly.

The above though done a full speed were hard calls for the ref but that's when his a assistants should be judged for not doing there jobs as well.

Toure's kick to Can's chest was a red Card and City were very lucky that was a bad call by the ref.

Firmino's was a pen and the right call by the ref.

Aguero shouting loudly gets a player booked we were unlucky and the ref should have done a lot better.

A ref who I actually think is very good had a mare yesterday.

1 -1 was the right result and the basics of play by both teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

A ref who I actually think is very good had a mare yesterday.

Absolutely. Worst I've ever seen him and both teams can feel hard done by.

On Milner being booed...they booed the Champions League music several times ffs. They're hardly the sharpest chisels in the box.

Have to say even if the foul on Sterling was spotted and a penalty and red card given, I'd just be happy knowing Sterling didn't score against us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement