Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You have to feel for Fun Bobby setting it on a T for Lallana and then celebrating only to turn around and not see a goal.

ss-composite-image-2017-3-20-15-26-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.png

Oh ye and what a touch by Fun Bobby to lay the ball off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Have to say even if the foul on Sterling was spotted and a penalty and red card given, I'd just be happy knowing Sterling didn't score against us.

But sterling didn't score against us. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Absolutely. Worst I've ever seen him and both teams can feel hard done by.

He seemed to be struggling to keep up with the game, is there a tracker of how many km the ref covers per game like the players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

mormank wrote: »
    But sterling didn't score against us. :confused:

Yeah I know, I'm saying that even if Milner's foul was spotted and he was sent off, it'd still be worth it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

sword1 wrote: »

He seemed to be struggling to keep up with the game, is there a tracker of how many km the ref covers per game like the players?

Maybe he's still getting over the stag party. He was on that, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Yeah I know, I'm saying that even if Milner's foul was spotted and he was sent off, it'd still be worth it :P

Ah...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

On Milner being booed...they booed the Champions League music several times ffs. They're hardly the sharpest chisels in the box.

I thought they were bellends to boo Milner but I applaud them booing that CL thing where they're supposed to stand like it's the national anthem of UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

You have to feel for Fun Bobby setting it on a T for Lallana and then celebrating only to turn around and not see a goal.

ss-composite-image-2017-3-20-15-26-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.png

Oh ye and what a touch by Fun Bobby to lay the ball off.

Maybe its just me but when i watched it Firmino clearly has his eyes on the pass and only drops to his knees in an 'OMFG, howd you miss that' fashion when the chance is missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

mosstin wrote: »
    I thought they were bellends to boo Milner but I applaud them booing that CL thing where they're supposed to stand like it's the national anthem of UEFA.

Didn't they boo it because they thought there was some kind of conspiracy against them? They make it into Europes elite football competition and they're cryarsing cos they have to play some decent teams? Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Alot of those that don't think it was a foul are not Liverpool fans and only having a laugh at everyone replying

No..Mane kicked him in the calf.
    Foul on Sterling was a blatant red and penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

No..Mane kicked him in the calf.
    Foul on Sterling was a blatant red and penalty.

Clueless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Can should've been off too for trying to headbutt Toure's foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Can should've been off too for trying to headbutt Toure's foot.

Exactly, it wasn't toure's fault can made contact with his foot.

In fairness to the ref, the weather conditions must have made it hard yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Exactly, it wasn't toure's fault can made contact with his foot.

A yes but tou're moved his foot toward can and mane moved his foot toward otamendi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ireland look out!

C7ZC9c0XUAAEoiN.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Said the same thing to the old man. He was a loyal servant and only left cos he couldnt get a game. Surely no one can question Milners character? Boggles the mind.

I think they booed him because of him running down his contract despite being clearly wanted at city and then moving to Lfc to play his favoured midfield role and now he's in the same position as before at city, a utility man. A bit harsh but understandable I guess.

sweetie wrote: »
    I think they booed him because of him running down his contract despite being clearly wanted at city and then moving to Lfc to play his favoured midfield role and now he's in the same position as before at city, a utility man. A bit harsh but understandable I guess.

He left because he was not getting a starting place and could see he would be getting less opportunities in the future. He is starting at Liverpool. Many players who left Liverpool get welcomed back when they play at anfield. If anything he was pushed out at city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

He left because he was not getting a starting place and could see he would be getting less opportunities in the future. He is starting at Liverpool. Many players who left Liverpool get welcomed back when they play at anfield. If anything he was pushed out at city

He absolutely was not pushed out at City. Pellegrini spoke publicly on more than one occasion about how he wanted to keep Milner.

He left because he wanted to play centrally, something that Rodgers promised him. It's a little funny, then, that he has ended up as our starting left-back, of all things.

City fans booing him was stupid. It's just another element of the tribal nonsense of football these days - "You used to play for us, now you don't. Therefore, I hate you." That's all it is...

Some City fans have tried to justify it claiming that his celebrations against them when he scored last year annoyed them. Similarly, there were suggestions that he spoke negatively about the club in public, praised Klopp, etc. but none of that is unusual for any footballer - he's hardly going to say "Yeah Liverpool is good, the hugs are great and Lallana runs a lot, but I sure miss Silva and Aguero" now is he?

The booing of former players is something I really hate about football. You see it everywhere and it just makes everyone seem a bit childish IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ireland look out!

C7ZC9c0XUAAEoiN.jpg

I think we will be looking out for Bale rather than 2 players who very likely won't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Off to Tenerife for warm weather training. Henderson is going with them and could be available for the derby. Sturridge didn't travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

paulie21 wrote: »
    Sturridge didn't travel

I presume it's precautionary, he may get injured due to the change in pressure of the plane taking off and landing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I doubt we'll see Sturridge play another game for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

NukaCola wrote: »

Apparently it's his hip, again, and he's staying in Liverpool for rehab. If it is his hip, you'd have to wonder what's left to be done with it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe he could hop to save the pressure on his hip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yeah, pretty sure its over now for Sturridge.
    It is unbelievable to think he is only 27. He should only now be entering his peak years.

I suppose he would be super back up but really i'm finding it hard to care anymore.

corwill wrote: »
    Apparently it's his hip, again, and he's staying in Liverpool for rehab. If it is his hip, you'd have to wonder what's left to be done with it at this stage.

Fowler had his more or less removed, cleaned and put back in iirc.

All this play through the pain barrier .... made of cardboard etc etc (not to mention the mental health allegation from our resident neuroscience expert) is all well and good but if there's something wrong with the hip than it's an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So people going on about Liverpools form against bottom team but ignoring that those games were away from home, when playing such teams at home Liverpool have found it easier

Everton - Top 10
    Bouremouth - Bottom 10
    Stoke - Top 10 A
    WBA - Top 10 A
    Palace - Bottom 10
    Watford - Bottom 10 A
    Southampton - Top 10
    West Ham - Bottom 10 A
    Middlesbrough - Bottom 10

So going by Liverpools form the games in bold are the only ones they should be worried about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

So people going on about Liverpools form against bottom team but ignoring that those games were away from home, when playing such teams at home Liverpool have found it easier

Everton - Top 10
    Bouremouth - Bottom 10
    Stoke - Top 10 A
    WBA - Top 10 A
    Palace - Bottom 10
    Watford - Bottom 10 A
    Southampton - Top 10
    West Ham - Bottom 10 A

So going by Liverpools form the games in bold are the only ones they should be worried about :)

Our issue is more against teams who are willing to sit back and catch us on the break.

Bournemouth scored 4 against us
    West brom scored 2
    they both beat us by the way

Palace scored 2
    west ham got a draw at anfield

In fact in the reverse fixtures of the remaining games we got 20 points from 27. That would leave us on 76 and hoping its enough for Champions league.

Im not usually pessimistic and when I am watching these games I truely will fancy our chances. I just hope that we dont underestimate the teams we are up against.

Stay tight at the back and take our chances. 1-0 wins are all we need. Run the clock down and just be professional about it. Our gung ho approach at times is a little naive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Everton - Top 10
    Bouremouth - Bottom 10
    Stoke - Top 10 A
    WBA - Top 10 A
    Palace - Bottom 10
    Watford - Bottom 10 A
    Southampton - Top 10
    West Ham - Bottom 10 A

How many do guys think we need to win/draw to get top 4?

On a side note was the player of the year thread pruned or were some posters just embarrassed by what they wrote?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Everton - Top 10
    Bouremouth - Bottom 10
    Stoke - Top 10 A
    WBA - Top 10 A
    Palace - Bottom 10
    Watford - Bottom 10 A
    Southampton - Top 10
    West Ham - Bottom 10 A

Stoke and wba and even watford away are really tough games for us. They won't pass it out from the back and have a big height advantage. I'd expect a minimum of 12 from the 4 home games. Win 2 of the 4 away games and I'd say that's enough for top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

MD1990 wrote: »
    A Mourinhp coached team would have surrounded the referee.

or a big shout moan and roll over 3 times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mightyreds wrote: »
    How many do guys think we need to win/draw to get top 4?

On a side note was the player of the year thread pruned or were some posters just embarrassed by what they wrote?

To hit my target of 2ppg, we need 20 more points which looks totally doable. Could stand to lose 1, and draw 2.

Wouldn't be surprised if we dropped another point or two, which would leave us around 74 or 75, which might still be enough, depending on how the other top 6 results go against each other.

How many do guys think we need to win/draw to get top 4?...........

I reckon 74 points will do it, to get 74 pts Man Utd need 2ppg from their remaining 11 fixtures, I think that's a tall ask all considered.

We need 2ppg too from our remaining 9 games but we have no EL or any other distractions so you'd have to fancy us really to get that. Admittedly not so much if you look at our haul over the last 10 PL games, which is 13 points.

Arsenal need 24pts from 11 games to hit 74 points, dunno can they turn recent form around that quickly and sustain it.

I reckon it's ours to lose currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon 74 points will do it, to get 74 pts Man Utd need 2ppg from their remaining 11 fixtures, I think that's a tall ask all considered.

We need 2ppg too from our remaining 9 games but we have no EL or any other distractions so you'd have to fancy us really to get that. Admittedly not so much if you look at our haul over the last 10 PL games, which is 13 points.

Arsenal need 24pts from 11 games to hit 74 points, dunno can they turn recent form around that quickly and sustain it.

I reckon it's ours to lose currently.

United's two games in hand give them the advantage but they have some very tough fixtures in that spell.

WBA are a tough nut, though I'd expect United to beat them.

But beyond that, a very in-form Everton side (who will hopefully be on the back of a derby defeat :p), Chelsea, away to Burnley (where most sides have struggled this year), away to City, away to Arsenal and away to Spurs.

Also Palace and Swansea, who may well need to win to survive, for example.

But even taking those two as a gimme for Man United, the other 6 games are all very difficult to call. They always seem to beat Spurs and Arsenal are spiralling, but you wouldn't be confident making a call about the derby or away to Burnley.

The thing is, though, is that Mourinho has made them very difficult to beat - you'd fancy them to draw a few of those games rather than lose them, for e.g.

That said, our bad form against the lower sides in the league is a worry when they make up the bulk of our games.

And all that is ignoring the fact that Arsenal (and potentially Everton) are also in the race. Nothing can be taken for granted and there are definitely some twists and turns.

I think the fact that we are currently in 4th is a boost - but we need to get some momentum going over the next 5/6 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

United's two games in hand give them the advantage but they have some very tough fixtures in that spell.

One of those is away to City. Hard to peg that down as a guaranteed 3 points for them.

United have won one game from the top 6 so far this season. They haven't been beating the top sides. Chelsea at home and City/Arsenal/Spurs away are difficult. The way some people are going on their games in hand may as well be 6 points already.

Not writing them off, but if they get top 4 they will have absolutely deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

United are in no way favourites. Games in hand mean nothing. Our biggest game is everton and thats it.....................

City Arsenal Spurs and United all have bigger games left. Sure there are games in hand but there are also difficult games that they will take points from each other. As things stand we are favorites for a top 4 and the bookies agree.

If Arsenal or United take it from us it is on merit alone and nothing to do with games in hand.

4 points ahead of United and they have all the other 5 teams from the top 7 left to play.

I think the fact that we are currently in 4th is a boost - but we need to get some momentum going over the next 5/6 games.

Indeed, over the next 9 games we have to improve on 1.3ppg (our 2017 PL form) but I have no doubt we will.

We have less to do than any of our rivals, as you say we are 4th now with less games to play than Utd and Arsenal.

If Everton finish above us we'll have thrown it away totally.

• Advertisement

Utd have to go to arsenal, spurs, city, Burnley and Southampton they are all really difficult fixtures for them. They also play Chelsea at home. Mourinho will have to do something he doesn't usually do in big games and that's attack as draws won't be enough for them in all those big games. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

brevity wrote: »

It's the hairstyles :)
    the ole side part coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If there's nothing to play for in the last home game he might get a run out to say goodbye, if he can get his sh!t together. :)

I know there's a few crystal balls predicting great things for him once he's gone but really can't see it being any different to the last few years, the odd decent spell amongst the injuries and his inability to cope with the pressure of being the main man.

Said it a few times but I still think MLS would be the best bet for him. Could probably still demand a decent wage off the back of his 'Van Persie' season, less intensity to the game which might see him manage to play more and the lower standard wouldn't make his decline as noticeable. Also a better lifestyle and more opportunities to engage in his other pursuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, over the next 9 games we have to improve on 1.3ppg (our 2017 PL form) but I have no doubt we will.

We have less to do than any of our rivals, as you say we are 4th now with less games to play than Utd and Arsenal.

If Everton finish above us we'll have thrown it away totally.

Yeah i think we might just get it 5/6 wins and a couple of draws maybe if we dont mess up and the others ovetake us they will have deserved it as they have some tough fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Ya looks that way, It's heart breaking as a fully fit in form Sturridge is something to behold.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yeah i think we might just get it 5/6 wins and a couple of draws maybe if we dont mess up and the others ovetake us they will have deserved it as they have some tough fixtures

If we get 6 wins from our last 9 games, even with 3 losses, I'd be very surprised if we don't get top 4 given how tough the run ins for Arsenal (and their bad form) and Utd are. Getting those points is the trick though. We need to win our 5 home games anyhow.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    If we get 6 wins from our last 9 games, even with 3 losses, I'd be very surprised if we don't get top 4 given how tough the run ins for Arsenal (and their bad form) and Utd are. Getting those points is the trick though. We need to win our 5 home games anyhow.

One of them is going to go on a winning run of games

One of them is going to go on a winning run of games

Then spurs or city will be dropping points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd think the games against Everton, Bournemouth and Boro will all be fairly safe bets. Probably Palace as well.
    They're must win at any rate.

We're probably going to drop points in most of the games against Stoke, WBA, Watford, Southampton, West Ham.
    The first 3 in particular are kryptonite to us. West Ham are wildly inconsistent and Southampton, at least, is at home but I wouldn't be surprised if we won none of them.

That'd put us on 70ish pts. Doubt it'd be enough.
    Think we'll need at least another 2 big results from those 5 games.

Then spurs or city will be dropping points.

Spurs have 3 points, a game in hand and 9 goal difference, they have a bit of wiggle room. City are more realistic for us to pass

I think we'll need to get over that 2 ppg. 19/20 points from those 9 games will get us top 4.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement