Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

J Mysterio wrote: »
    He scored a screamer the other week.

Goal versus Bournemouth was a beauty too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hateful enough news about Lallana. We seem to be having a problem signing robust players that can play a season every now and again with getting 2 different 6 week injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A day after Paul Joyce's FSG ready to give Klopp largest ever Transfer Kitty

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/847045373608824833

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

MD1990 wrote: »

lol

It's awful to be cynical but you're 100% correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mosstin wrote: »
    It's awful to be cynical but you're 100% correct.

Except the club had details about renews up since Feb on the site asking anybody who changed address or intending to change address to contact them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

lol

One year ago today:

https://twitter.com/LFCZA/status/714752892050268160

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

lol

Is there a long waiting list for season tickets, I doubt they are a hard sell that needs promotion

A quick Google Indicates 15+years

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Any change in season ticket prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I doubt very.much our transfer budget is decided by season ticket sales

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

£50m for Van Dijk ffs! Money doesn't get you much these days. I dread what other players are going to cost this summer. Paul Pogbas record is bound to be smashed easily if prices are going this way.

The transfer fee now seems to have very little relation to how good a player is, just how much money the club that are buying have and how much they want him. Van Dijk looks like a properly good CB but 50m is bonkers.

Football is bonkers
    Transfers are bonkers
    I hate the summer silly season

/Vent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Say we need a minimum of 5 players who have the experience that is needed and each will cost in this inflated transfer market a basic £40m that means the minimum the club needs to spend in the summer is £200m.

£200m for Liverpool is huge but when the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea could spend double or treble that this summer it kind of shows how fcuked the world of football is this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

£200m for Liverpool is huge

Not when we get 100m for Phil

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've read recently that Utd are going to spend £200 Million on one player; Neymar.
    Plus they are going to splash out on Griezman which could be closed to 100 mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I doubt very.much our transfer budget is decided by season ticket sales

No but season ticket sales can be influenced by transfer budgets.

Say we need a minimum of 5 players who have the experience that is needed and each will cost in this inflated transfer market a basic £40m that means the minimum the club needs to spend in the summer is £200m.

£200m for Liverpool is huge but when the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea could spend double or treble that this summer it kind of shows how fcuked the world of football is this summer.

You can still get great players, just not from the premier league for around the £25/30m range. Mkitaryan and Bailly were both around that fee last year. The only person we paid a signiciant transfer fee for was Pogba.

I don't think every half decent player will be nuts money, but you have to shop in the right places and for the majority of these players coming to the PL for the first time you have to be patient, regardless of how good they were before. Pogba isn't properly settled, Mkhitaryan only showing now what he can do, hell even Suarez was fairly ineffectual the first six months or so at Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've read recently that Utd are going to spend £200 Million on one player; Neymar.
    Plus they are going to splash out on Griezman which could be closed to 100 mil.

Neymar is bollox imo and as mush as I was sure before we were going to get Griezman I don't think so anymore. Griezman apparently has a release clause but the figures are all over the place. From €85m to £85m.

Except the club had details about renews up since Feb on the site asking anybody who changed address or intending to change address to contact them

Absolutely no coincidence though that the full details are announced today. Makes forking out all that dosh for a season ticket more palatable if you believe that significant reinvestment in the club is to happen in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jayop wrote: »
    hell even Suarez was fairly ineffectual the first six months or so at Liverpool.

I don't think thats true.

Scored on his debut - three assists in game versus Utd (Kuyt hat trick game).

Thats off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

No but season ticket sales can be influenced by transfer budgets.

Isn't there a huge Waiting list for them, think they sell out every year regardless of what kinda team we have ,unless the xtra seats have opened up spaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

noodler wrote: »

He "only" scored 11 goals I think, one more than Sturridge would do in his first half season (ah those were the days)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not true at all. He obviously wasn't reaching the heights he did when he became the best player to ever play in the league. But the idea of him being poor is another strange boards myth.

You can still get great players, just not from the premier league for around the £25/30m range. Mkitaryan and Bailly were both around that fee last year. The only person we paid a signiciant transfer fee for was Pogba.

Mkitaryan was supposed to have cost 34 million, got 6 million signing fee and is on over 10 million a year wages. Hardly a bargain at over 80 million for 4 years

He "only" scored 11 goals I think, one more than Sturridge would do in his first half season (ah those were the days)
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Not true at all. He obviously wasn't reaching the heights he did when he became the best player to ever play in the league. But the idea of him being poor is another strange boards myth.

The 11 goals was in his first full season. I specifically mentioned his first six months. I seem to remember him taking a while to really get going and missed a lot of chances in that time. The point I'm trying to make is that despite his absolute obvious talent and workrate he still took a while to become the player he went on to be. His stats for season 3 and 4 he was with you were off the charts. It's not a dig at him to say that it took time to become the player he did.

Take Pogba for instance, his stats this season are actually quite good, 7 goals and 4 assists, 50 chances in the league created, but anyone with eyes can say he's not playing as well as you would expect him to after he settles.

The point was a benign one, that players regardless of how talented normally take a season to reach their full potential, Pogba and Suarez are both evidence of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The point was a benign one, that players regardless of how talented normally take a season to reach their full potential, Pogba and Suarez are both evidence of that.

What evidence is there that Pogba is reaching his full potential after one season though? Fairly disappointing if he has tbh.....

NukaCola wrote: »
    What evidence is there that Pogba is reaching his full potential after one season though?

The evidence isn't that he will reach it, and that's not the point I'm trying to make. It's that he's not playing up to his full potential in his season.

there's no way of know if he'll play the way Suarez did in his 3rd and 4th seasons at Liverpool actually get to review them post season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Not when we get 100m for Phil

If he does go this summer I would be shocked if we got even close to 100m. Would be closer to 50-60 imo. Barcelona prefer to makes moves to unsettle a player rather than pay what he is worth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

lol

That picture is probably of the away section and taken when ye were playing Man City.

The evidence isn't that he will reach it, and that's not the point I'm trying to make. It's that he's not playing up to his full potential in his season.

there's no way of know if he'll play the way Suarez did in his 3rd and 4th seasons at Liverpool actually get to review them post season.

I am sure there is someone in the united thread who would be better able to discuss Pogba :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With Enrique leaving and no one named as his replacement and Messi unhappy and most of that team in the back end of there careers it would be the right time to start to unsettle some of there players.

Bring Luis home and Coutinho and Firmino to tap up Neymar :p

When you have Lallana, Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Neymar & Luis no need for defenders then we just out work and out score everyone ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Torres reached his potential in his first season 24 league goals in fact. 33 in all comps in his first season.

Van Nistelroy did the same. 23 league goals 36 in all comps first season

Diego Costa had 20 league goals first season

Aguero 23 league goals first season

and lets not forget how well Ibra is doing at United in his first season

sword1 wrote: »
    I am sure there is someone in the united thread who would be better able to discuss Pogba :rolleyes:

Pogba was an example given along with Suarez of a player taking a while to settle in, in response to a point made here about Liverpool having to spend £40m+ on players this year. I was never talking about Pogba in a direct sense until a question was asked of me.

If you're unable to have a chat in a civil manner about Liverpool which is what all my comments were about apart from that one post where I was answering a specific question then I'll not bother.

Quite a pathetic post really :rolleyes:

Mr.H wrote: »
    Torres reached his potential in his first season 24 league goals in fact. 33 in all comps in his first season.

Van Nistelroy did the same. 23 league goals 36 in all comps first season

Diego Costa had 20 league goals first season

Aguero 23 league goals first season

and lets not forget how well Ibra is doing at United in his first season

They did and players can and do come in and have an instant impact. Normally those are players already playing at their peak and normally they will cost a premium.

Again, this was my original point...

I don't think every half decent player will be nuts money, but you have to shop in the right places and for the majority of these players coming to the PL for the first time you have to be patient, regardless of how good they were before

Basically, there's really good players out there to be had without breaking the bank, but a lot of time those players who come in for slightly less money take a while to settle.

I'd give more examples, but I might mention a United player and sword would get all butt hurt again.

Pogba not fit to lace Suarezs boots.

Spent most of his season trying to climb out of opponents pockets. I hope he's not claustrophobic. Bargain.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Pogba not fit to lace Suarezs boots.

Spent most of his season trying to climb out of opponents pockets. I hope he's not claustrophobic. Bargain.

Apples and oranges. Play completely different positions so hard to compare, and I wasn't in anyway comparing the two anyway. Paul is a young player and if he ever reaches the level Suarez has done since 2012 I'll be a happy camper.

There's no-one saying Suarez isn't in the top 3 players in the world, and no-one saying Pogba is so it's a null point.

For the week that's in it

17620098_1825031551153942_5635266239707761386_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=b38351804d7274498ca7786590058747&oe=5995758F

They did and players can and do come in and have an instant impact. Normally those are players already playing at their peak and normally they will cost a premium.

Again, this was my original point...

Basically, there's really good players out there to be had without breaking the bank, but a lot of time those players who come in for slightly less money take a while to settle.

I'd give more examples, but I might mention a United player and sword would get all butt hurt again.

Of course your right. I hate when people start saying we need to spend massive cash to get the players we want.

Andy Carroll proves that we shouldnt be just looking at prices but looking at what the players could offer to the team.
    • We need a strong ball playing center back to partner Matip
    • We need a fast left back who is can cross the ball from the wing but is also a good defender
    • We need a really good defensive mid who will stay back and slot in with the two center backs when we are attacking
    • We need a striker who has pace but is also good in the air and hopefully one that can score 20 goals a season

Thats what we badly need. Everything else like a keeper or a winger would be a bonus but that is probably what is on Klopps checklist.

It doesnt matter if we spend 50 million on a player or 5 million. We could get a player who is looking for first team football for a bargain (such as Coutinho and Sturridge) we could get someone on a free (Matip would easily be 15-20 million if he wasnt out of contract) or we could spend big and get someone who might end up being a mercenary and not fighting for the cause...

Prices mean nothing when it comes to transfers. If we can get quality transfers thats all we want. If they are big names that is great but it doesnt mean we will win the league (United spent how much since Ferguson and what do they have to show for it?)

Apples and oranges. Play completely different positions so hard to compare, and I wasn't in anyway comparing the two anyway. Paul is a young player and if he ever reaches the level Suarez has done since 2012 I'll be a happy camper.

There's no-one saying Suarez isn't in the top 3 players in the world, and no-one saying Pogba is so it's a null point.

Pogba is 24. He doesnt need to reach Suarez level. He just needs to be a solid team player and if he becomes that he will give ye up to 8 years of service. Thats all he needs to be. He doesnt need to be Balon Dor to be a great signing.

Rooney signed for ye for 30 million when average fees where a third of that. He isnt the greatest striker in the world but he gave ye over a decade of great service and was a main player for ye. Thats all you can ask of a player.

Its great to get a star like Aguero, Hazard, Suarez or Ronaldo but not every signing needs to be a marquee player

Mr.H wrote: »
    Pogba is 24. He doesnt need to reach Suarez level. He just needs to be a solid team player and if he becomes that he will give ye up to 8 years of service. Thats all he needs to be. He doesnt need to be Balon Dor to be a great signing.

Rooney signed for ye for 30 million when average fees where a third of that. He isnt the greatest striker in the world but he gave ye over a decade of great service and was a main player for ye. Thats all you can ask of a player.

Its great to get a star like Aguero, Hazard, Suarez or Ronaldo but not every signing needs to be a marquee player

Very very true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You call another poster out for a "pathetic post" but you think this is any better? How on earth could you possibly know what Pogba's full potential is? Yes he might turn into a £100m calibre player, but he also might not. Either way, you haven't a clue which one will happen. You just keep contradicting yourself over and over again:
    Originally Posted by Jayop

Tell me how Pogba is evidence of that when he's still having bad games this far into a season? Will a switch just flick in him next August that makes him a world class footballer?

Then there's this little pearl of wisdom:
    The evidence isn't that he will reach it
    (referring to Pogba's "full potential")

So you went from stating that Pogba is evidence of a player that takes a season to reach his full potential, to saying the exact opposite? :confused: How are we meant to take your posts seriously when they totally contradict each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

With Enrique leaving and no one named as his replacement and Messi unhappy and most of that team in the back end of there careers it would be the right time to start to unsettle some of there players.

Bring Luis home and Coutinho and Firmino to tap up Neymar :p

When you have Lallana, Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Neymar & Luis no need for defenders then we just out work and out score everyone ;)
    Don't forget to play last-man-back and then no need for an upgrade on Mig either:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not really buying into this record transfer kitty story.

Fully expect to be arguing with folks in September because Klopp seemingly couldn't find the "perfect player" to join us.

Stick of Arsenal and Wenger of this whole thing. Club will allocate sufficient budget to effectively compete for CL places and will be consider CL qualification a success. Anything beyond that will be the Klopp factor.

martyos121 wrote: »
    You call another poster out for a "pathetic post" but you think this is any better? How on earth could you possibly know what Pogba's full potential is? Yes he might turn into a £100m calibre player, but he also might not. Either way, you haven't a clue which one will happen. You just keep contradicting yourself over and over again:

Tell me how Pogba is evidence of that when he's still having bad games this far into a season? Will a switch just flick in him next August that makes him a world class footballer?

Then there's this little pearl of wisdom:

(referring to Pogba's "full potential")

So you went from stating that Pogba is evidence of a player that takes a season to reach his full potential, to saying the exact opposite? :confused: How are we meant to take your posts seriously when they totally contradict each other?

I called him out for basically telling me to **** off out if this thread for talking about Pogba when I hadn't been apart from to make an example. That was pathetic.

If you disagree with anything I've said at least what I was saying was about football.

I've not contradicted myself at all. The point isn't what he'll do next year and but what he's doing this year.

Jesus chat about people looking for something to be butt hurt about.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not sure why some people get overly defensive when opposition fans come in here without being cocky or aggressive. I've had it towards me a few time in the utd thread as well (and seen it to others) and it just makes me post there less. It irritates me as much as when people do go in to wind up or gloat as it really shuts down discussion and derails it, as well as fostering bad relations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Every now and again I do actually have sympathy for "Ooters" on this thead.

• Advertisement

I called him out for basically telling me to **** off out if this thread for talking about Pogba when I hadn't been apart from to make an example. That was pathetic.

If you disagree with anything I've said at least what I was saying was about football.

I've not contradicted myself at all. The point isn't what he'll do next year and but what he's doing this year.

Jesus chat about people looking for something to be butt hurt about.

You came on the thread to talk about united,most of the people on here don't answer you because we know the way it will go and how persistent you are so we will have to usually give up. You make some very good points at times and I don't mean to be disrespectful but I do presume there are people on the united thread who would like to discuss the united players. And saying you were answering a comment about liverpools possible signings is rubbish when the only four players mentioned are Bailly, mikytaran, Pogba and Suarez

sword1 wrote: »
    You came on the thread to talk about united,most of the people on here don't answer you because we know the way it will go and how persistent you are so we will have to usually give up. You make some very good points at times and I don't mean to be disrespectful but I do presume there are people on the united thread who would like to discuss the united players. And saying you were answering a comment about liverpools possible signings is rubbish when the only four players mentioned are Bailly, mikytaran, Pogba and Suarez

That's absolute rubbish to be fair. I was 100% replying to and having a chat about Liverpool's transfers this summer and the comment that you'd have to spend 40m+ to get a decent player. Bailly and Mkhi were examples I was giving of players you don't need to spend big on to get decent quality. I honestly didn't expect to get into a conversation from there about them at all.

Not sure which Liverpool players I could have mentioned that you signed recently for that type of figure because I wouldn't be as familiar with how much you spend on players. I have no idea for example of how much Coutinhio cost, but if it was less than 40m then that would be a good example too.

If I wanted to talk about United players of course I'd do it in the United thread because it was the place to do it. However, using examples from other teams is worthwhile as a comparison when it comes to transfers. Look at the post by MrH. He mentioned, Torres, RvN, Aguero and Costa. So the same proportion of Liverpool players as me, 1/4. Why did he do that? Because they were good examples of the point he was making.

Talking about footie = great.
    Talking about what this lad/that lad said/didn't say in their post a few pages back = like watching us under Hodgson.

Let's not go back there lads, eh?

Roll on Saturday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If you don't want to talk to jayop OK that's fine if you don't reply he won't. When the bickering starts its so pointless. He made a valid point about players of good value being available in Europe but not in england.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement